ADVERTISEMENT

Beer isn't cool... Again.

Love this. spot on. that's why as a society i think it's incumbent upon us to make sure that next generation does indeed develop thick skin and a bit of resiliency. i'd institute a nationwide rule that you either have to do one year in the military or a missouri valley conference school. either one. then you can go do whatever but you're going to be humbled and toughened up when you get out into the real world
Agree. If you can live in Carbondale, IL for a year, you can do anything.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Agree. If you can live in Carbondale, IL for a year, you can do anything.
they're fighting for their lives. okay we've got our two finalists. looks like one from brown and the other is from carbondale. not sure what school that would be. SIU!!!!!!!! the brown kid is woke and the siu kid is fighting for his life! girlfriend missed her period. no idea how next semester's tuition is getting paid. worried that fight he had at the bar can't get expunged. humble and hungry!

Reactions: Cortez88
There’s a recent episode of the podcast Plain English discussing anxiety and depression in young folks. They discuss the prevalence over estimation that occurs when we see and read things all the time we assume it must be everywhere. Since mental health issues are now widely normalized and discussed by young people on social media, kids start to believe they must also suffer from anxiety and depression.

Further, they discuss the incorrect response some young people and parents have to these issues. Instead of exposure to develop coping mechanisms, there is instead avoidance which does great harm. It’s gets back to my general point that life is often unfair, hard, and shitty, but you still have to participate. Failure to build up a thick skin and resilience will only lead to failure IMO.
This generation is also all about awarding “points” to those that are not “normal.” So we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

Not sure where it originated, but I for one did not participate in it. However, I do find myself drinking more bourbon and gin than beer these days - in part because they tend to be less filling. Crazy thing is 10 years ago I couldn't stand bourbon. I was more of a scotch guy, and even then it was not the norm.
I was the same re bourbon & couldn’t stand it 10 years ago. Now I have @ 80 open bottles….😳

This generation is also all about awarding “points” to those that are not “normal.” So we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.
My high school aged kids really do not like the in your face weird kids. Pendulums swing and I wonder if there will be a groundswell of kids who are also sick of it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
My high aged kids really do not like the in your face weird kids. Pendulums swing and I wonder if there will be a groundswell of kids who are also sick of it all.
My middle school aged boys are seeing the in-your-face-ness of it all and it leads to them hating it. I try to get them to understand these are kids that just want attention because of insecurities and the like. They get it, but they are super sick of it.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
I was the same re bourbon & couldn’t stand it 10 years ago. Now I have @ 80 open bottles….😳
I applaud you for opening the bottles. I hate all these “collectors” that gobble up all the good bottles and don’t even drink it. I don’t understand it at all, but because of them there are so many whiskeys I just never ever see. I recently found 2 bottles of Blantons at a CVS. One is already dranked.

I applaud you for opening the bottles. I hate all these “collectors” that gobble up all the good bottles and don’t even drink it. I don’t understand it at all, but because of them there are so many whiskeys I just never ever see. I recently found 2 bottles of Blantons at a CVS. One is already dranked.
Here in Ohio it's a real problem for certain brands such as Weller. The stuff is cheap compared to most other states - ~$25 for the green label Weller. It's also on allocation such that a liquor store only gets shipments once a week, on the same day. Everyone knows which days and they wait in line starting early in the morning (well before the store opens). As a result, Weller is usually gone within a couple hours of opening (if not sooner). I believe that most of the people then turn around and sell it for a big profit. And this is all in spite of the fact that you can only buy one bottle of the allocated stuff per day.

They had a bottle release on a weeknight right before Christmas of some higher end/in demand stuff (e.g., Russel's Single Rickhouse, Weller 12-year, etc.). Started at 6, and it was announced earlier that day. I had to stop by a store to pickup a bottle of gin for a Christmas gift. Got there at 5:45 and there must have been 100 people waiting in line outside the store. Thankfully they had all of them cordoned off so I could still get inside to buy my gin. Earlier in December they had a statewide single barrel release one Saturday. People were in line the night before. (My son got lucky and snagged a single barrel bottle of Angel's Envy, along with a 1.75L of Weller.) Again, in both instances you could only buy one bottle per store (my son managed to go to two different stores that morning).

LOL Never heard of that one.
I'm not even sure if it's real, to be honest. My son and one of his buddies were laughing about it 4 or 5 years ago and I was in disbelief that it was a thing. They assured me it was and that some people they knew took it seriously due to supposed health benefits.

Here in Ohio it's a real problem for certain brands such as Weller. The stuff is cheap compared to most other states - ~$25 for the green label Weller. It's also on allocation such that a liquor store only gets shipments once a week, on the same day. Everyone knows which days and they wait in line starting early in the morning (well before the store opens). As a result, Weller is usually gone within a couple hours of opening (if not sooner). I believe that most of the people then turn around and sell it for a big profit. And this is all in spite of the fact that you can only buy one bottle of the allocated stuff per day.

They had a bottle release on a weeknight right before Christmas of some higher end/in demand stuff (e.g., Russel's Single Rickhouse, Weller 12-year, etc.). Started at 6, and it was announced earlier that day. I had to stop by a store to pickup a bottle of gin for a Christmas gift. Got there at 5:45 and there must have been 100 people waiting in line outside the store. Thankfully they had all of them cordoned off so I could still get inside to buy my gin. Earlier in December they had a statewide single barrel release one Saturday. People were in line the night before. (My son got lucky and snagged a single barrel bottle of Angel's Envy, along with a 1.75L of Weller.) Again, in both instances you could only buy one bottle per store (my son managed to go to two different stores that morning).I

They had a bottle release on a weeknight right before Christmas of some higher end/in demand stuff (e.g., Russel's Single Rickhouse, Weller 12-year, etc.). Started at 6, and it was announced earlier that day. I had to stop by a store to pickup a bottle of gin for a Christmas gift. Got there at 5:45 and there must have been 100 people waiting in line outside the store. Thankfully they had all of them cordoned off so I could still get inside to buy my gin. Earlier in December they had a statewide single barrel release one Saturday. People were in line the night before. (My son got lucky and snagged a single barrel bottle of Angel's Envy, along with a 1.75L of Weller.) Again, in both instances you could only buy one bottle per store (my son managed to go to two different stores that morning).
I used to buy Weller green label 1.75s at Big Red for like $30. Now it’s not find able anywhere.

My high aged kids really do not like the in your face weird kids. Pendulums swing and I wonder if there will be a groundswell of kids who are also sick of it all.

My middle school aged boys are seeing the in-your-face-ness of it all and it leads to them hating it. I try to get them to understand these are kids that just want attention because of insecurities and the like. They get it, but they are super sick of it.
So telling my high school aged daughter to point and laugh is wrong?

The only bottles unopened are backups for the opens. I agree, Bourbon is for drinking, collect baseball cards or stamps…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT