ADVERTISEMENT

Beer isn't cool... Again.

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
Craft beer, specifically.

Millennials like @mcmurtry66 are now even getting old and worn out. As is the craft beer they couldn't get enough of for the last 15 years or so.

Gen Z doesn't seem to drink much, nor have much sex. I don't know how to talk to these people.

Mike Kallenberger, a 31-year marketing vet at Miller, thinks generational behavior is a big part of it. The founding generation of craft brewers and drinkers were boomers. Craft brewing was part of an overall trend away from mass-production to artisanal foods and beverages. Gen X was a small force, and by the late 90s, they were not drinking as much—and they were turning away from “yuppie beer.”
I started writing about beer right at that seam between beery eras, in late 1997. By 2000, craft beer was really looking passé—it carried the image of the middle-aged boomers who mainly drank it. My old alt-weekly even dumped the beer column I used to write in favor of a cocktail column. In Portland, Oregon! Meanwhile, the Pabst boomlet was the only bright spot in beer, as gen Xers looked for something working class and “authentic.”
Millennials really saved the day. They started turning 21 in 2002, and fueled the next great wave of excitement in craft beer. The last of them turned 21 in 2017, just as craft’s fortunes were about to turn.
With generations and fashion, the pattern of rejection seems unavoidable. Whatever your parents thought was cool is, definitionally, terminally sad and uncool. That’s where the cyclic pattern of the craft cycle (niche and obscure ➡️ just niche enough to be very cool ➡️ mainstream ➡️ overexposed and trashy) collides with generational cycles. Right about the moment any trend is getting overexposed and trashy, it’s so visible that kids naturally avoid it. Aaron Goldfarb documents this in a wonderful piece on the new TikTok fad of teens filming their hopelessly embarrassing dads gush about beer. Gen Z seems like a kind and gentle generation, so they do it lovingly—but they do not think sampling flights of beer at taprooms is a cool way to spend your time. The age of the bearded beer connoisseur as trend-setter is decidedly over..

Last edited:
Craft beer, specifically.

Millennials like @mcmurtry66 are now even getting old and worn out. As is the craft beer they couldn't get enough of for the last 15 years or so.

Gen Z doesn't seem to drink much, nor have much sex. I don't know how to talk to these people.

I have noticed a ton of my gen and Z drinking mich ultra.

The Kid Down the Hall has said, numerous times, we should open a brewery called The Dark Side, doing only stouts, porters, Scottish ales and the like. Mentioning IPAs or mistakenly ordering an IPA will get one tossed unceremoniously through the swinging doors and out into the street.

The Kid Down the Hall has said, numerous times, we should open a brewery called The Dark Side, doing only stouts, porters, Scottish ales and the like. Mentioning IPAs or mistakenly ordering an IPA will get one tossed unceremoniously through the swinging doors and out into the street.

I'd go there. Let me know when you open

I'd go there. Let me know when you open
We have to do the bucket list trip to Octoberfest in Munich. We’ll then do what “they” say can’t be done - marzens all year long. I’ve had some great Octoberfest beers - they are my favorite - only to be told, “we can do them for only a limited time due to the limited availability of the ingredients we need.”

We have to do the bucket list trip to Octoberfest in Munich. We’ll then do what “they” say can’t be done - marzens all year long. I’ve had some great Octoberfest beers - they are my favorite - only to be told, “we can do them for only a limited time due to the limited availability of the ingredients we need.”

It's not ingredients. It's all basic beer ingredients. Marzen is a lager which has to lager in very cold temps for a long time (up to 6 months). The very old days they did it in caves. You could do it with the right refrigeration equipment running year round.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

It's not ingredients. It's all basic beer ingredients. Marzen is a lager which has to lager in very cold temps for a long time (up to 6 months). The very old days they did it in caves. You could do it with the right refrigeration equipment running year round.
It’s the line we get from every brewpub owner.

My local beer purveyor who also sells other beverages tonight told me their business is still slow - but better than January. He thinks it will pick up as weather warms. I also think more youngsters are drinking things like bourbon (especially expensive stuff). My son and his friends seem to be like that.

I’ve never done it in a cave. I’m down.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
My local beer purveyor who also sells other beverages tonight told me their business is still slow - but better than January. He thinks it will pick up as weather warms. I also think more youngsters are drinking things like bourbon (especially expensive stuff). My son and his friends seem to be like that.
What’s the deal with this Dry January bs I keep hearing about? Whose idea was this & why do so many subscribe? Seems like a terrible idea…

What’s the deal with this Dry January bs I keep hearing about? Whose idea was this & why do so many subscribe? Seems like a terrible idea…
Not sure where it originated, but I for one did not participate in it. However, I do find myself drinking more bourbon and gin than beer these days - in part because they tend to be less filling. Crazy thing is 10 years ago I couldn't stand bourbon. I was more of a scotch guy, and even then it was not the norm.

Not sure where it originated, but I for one did not participate in it. However, I do find myself drinking more bourbon and gin than beer these days - in part because they tend to be less filling. Crazy thing is 10 years ago I couldn't stand bourbon. I was more of a scotch guy, and even then it was not the norm.
I’d be curious to do a poll to see how often posters drink and how much. I’ve done it with my friends and it’s a little surprising

Reactions: BradStevens
Drove out of my way to the liquor store that sells Zweic--a great Polish beer (yes I'm a Polack).
The guy said we don't sell it anymore because nobody buys foreign beers anymore because everybody buys designer beers now.
So I bought a 30 pack of Ice House.
I remember when ice house came out. It was supposed to contain extra alcohol or something. The girls would pretend to be extra drunk. I’ll always have a warm feeling for ice house

There’s a recent episode of the podcast Plain English discussing anxiety and depression in young folks. They discuss the prevalence over estimation that occurs when we see and read things all the time we assume it must be everywhere. Since mental health issues are now widely normalized and discussed by young people on social media, kids start to believe they must also suffer from anxiety and depression.

Further, they discuss the incorrect response some young people and parents have to these issues. Instead of exposure to develop coping mechanisms, there is instead avoidance which does great harm. It’s gets back to my general point that life is often unfair, hard, and shitty, but you still have to participate. Failure to build up a thick skin and resilience will only lead to failure IMO.

There’s a recent episode of the podcast Plain English discussing anxiety and depression in young folks. They discuss the prevalence over estimation that occurs when we see and read things all the time we assume it must be everywhere. Since mental health issues are now widely normalized and discussed by young people on social media, kids start to believe they must also suffer from anxiety and depression.

Further, they discuss the incorrect response some young people and parents have to these issues. Instead of exposure to develop coping mechanisms, there is instead avoidance which does great harm. It’s gets back to my general point that life is often unfair, hard, and shitty, but you still have to participate. Failure to build up a thick skin and resilience will only lead to failure IMO.
Love this. spot on. that's why as a society i think it's incumbent upon us to make sure that next generation does indeed develop thick skin and a bit of resiliency. i'd institute a nationwide rule that you either have to do one year in the military or a missouri valley conference school. either one. then you can go do whatever but you're going to be humbled and toughened up when you get out into the real world

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT