ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart update

Baller23Boogie

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2008

For those of you that thought he'd be able to come in and get in shape right away, he hasn't even started practicing yet and Archie says he's still a long way away from getting acclimated with the team

Archie says crap like, “he’s not even close to being able to practice.” And then 5 seconds later he’s like “well he might practice next week.”

This guy should be a poster here.

perhaps there is a distinction b/t being “on the practice floor” and being “fully activated for practice”? Maybe he means able to participate in everything?

It’s pretty obvious he’s going to take this semester to become acclimated and get in shape. He will end up being a practice dummy for the rest of the year.

I mean, what would it hurt for him to play in February or March if he’s already on the team and can’t lose eligibility? If that is the case, it would seem Archie basically looked at the Big Ten and threw in the towel on this season. Which is why many guys are being held out. Him and Dolson probably came up with the idea of, let’s stack our deck for next season when the Big Ten loses a lot of the better players. That’s what this seems like. Very Minnesota/Penn State/Iowa type of strategy.

Reactions: Bill4411 and Mr.IU
I mean, what would hurt for him to play in February or March if he’s already on the team and can’t lose eligibility?

We're already in the middle of January and he MIGHT start practicing next week.

I've been wrong before, but I don't see how he comes in, gets in good enough shape and learns everything scheme wise to be able to play at game pace and make a significant impact.

If Lander can't get on the floor because he doesn't know the defense, how can we expect Stewart to get on the floor when he'll have even less time to learn.

We're already in the middle of January and he MIGHT start practicing next week.

I've been wrong before, but I don't see how he comes in, gets in good enough shape and learns everything scheme wise to be able to play at game pace and make a significant impact.

If Lander can't get on the floor because he doesn't know the defense, how can we expect Stewart to get on the floor when he'll have even less time to learn.
Well, for one, he's played college ball for 2 years already, so he should be way ahead of Lander, who I think is struggling with understanding. I was one that hoped he could play this year, but those quotes make me think it will be next year sadly.

I mean, what would it hurt for him to play in February or March if he’s already on the team and can’t lose eligibility? If that is the case, it would seem Archie basically looked at the Big Ten and threw in the towel on this season. Which is why many guys are being held out. Him and Dolson probably came up with the idea of, let’s stack our deck for next season when the Big Ten loses a lot of the better players. That’s what this seems like. Very Minnesota/Penn State/Iowa type of strategy.

Why do you continually make dumb post after dumb post?

If he’s ready to play then he’s ready to play. But, it’s already mid-January, he hasn’t even started practicing yet, and is nowhere near acclimated to the current system. That’s something that doesn’t happen overnight. I’m guessing he’s 2-3 weeks out, assuming he starts now, from being anywhere close to game shape.

If he’s ready to play then he’s ready to play. But, it’s already mid-January, he hasn’t even started practicing yet, and is nowhere near acclimated to the current system. That’s something that doesn’t happen overnight. I’m guessing he’s 2-3 weeks out, assuming he starts now, from being anywhere close to game shape.
At this late stage it would only make sense if we only had warm bodies left. If I was going to wager he’s not going to play this season. He only transferred mid year because he was done with his current degree and his father passing.

We are tied for 5th in the conference. Throw in the towel??? Lots of eye rolls in this post.

What are the restrictions on someone joining mid year like this? If he were coming in the fall, he could arrive on campus in June and workout through the summer. I assumed when he committed, he'd get to campus ASAP and begin practice. Why would he only be arriving now and going through this? Seems odd to me. I know he just lost his Dad, but I would think bball and being on a new team would be exciting and help normalize things. I lost my Dad when I was in grade school and "normal" things like sports and school were reliefs. Everyone grieves differently, but it just seems strange to me. I really expected he'd play for us second semester.

Well, for one, he's played college ball for 2 years already, so he should be way ahead of Lander, who I think is struggling with understanding. I was one that hoped he could play this year, but those quotes make me think it will be next year sadly.

He's played two years of the packline?

Lander has more time with the packline then Stewart does.

How long has it taken a lot of our guys to get comfortable with it? And we expect Stewart to do it in a matter of weeks, not excluding the days that we have games and travel on.

Him playing this year is a long

What are the restrictions on someone joining mid year like this? If he were coming in the fall, he could arrive on campus in June and workout through the summer. I assumed when he committed, he'd get to campus ASAP and begin practice. Why would he only be arriving now and going through this? Seems odd to me. I know he just lost his Dad, but I would think bball and being on a new team would be exciting and help normalize things. I lost my Dad when I was in grade school and "normal" things like sports and school were reliefs. Everyone grieves differently, but it just seems strange to me. I really expected he'd play for us second semester.
A thing called Covid. He had to quarantine twice. He graduated mid December. Geez man. He hasn’t played or practiced in a couple of months. He’s also an academic type. I think I read he wants 3-4 degrees and a doctorate. These things take time let alone during a pandemic we have not seen in our lifetime.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

He couldn't join until the beginning of the semester and then he had to wait until he was done with quarantine.

People forget that his dad was his basketball coach. He left Pitt to play for his dad. He would still be playing for his dad if he was still alive. Basketball might remind him of his dad and he's not ready for that because that was their bond together, and now they can't do that anymore.

Each person's story is different.

If he starts practicing next week and has 1 week of introduction and 2 weeks of real practice, I do not see why he would not be able to play starting with a few minutes with the Iowa game on 2/7. That would leave 8 BT games + the NCAA tourney assuming the BT tourney gets cancelled.

Meechie Johnson, a pg from OSU, is now playing for them. He started practicing in Mid-December after graduating HS. He was also coming off a season-ending knee operation. If he's playing there is no logical reason why Stewart couldn't as well.

Is there any sense of urgency within the IU basketball program?

He couldn't join until the beginning of the semester and then he had to wait until he was done with quarantine.

People forget that his dad was his basketball coach. He left Pitt to play for his dad. He would still be playing for his dad if he was still alive. Basketball might remind him of his dad and he's not ready for that because that was their bond together, and now they can't do that anymore.

Each person's story is different.
and your guessing what his story is, just like I am, but I've been through it. Trust me, for 99% of kids/students who lose a parent, that time on the court when you can focus on sports and not have to put up with people making you uncomfortable by trying to comfort you is golden. I said early, if he doesn't run back to the court and work to play, I don't think he'll play for us. We'll see.

Last edited:
and your guessing what his story is, just like I am, but I've been through it. Trust me, for 99% of kids/students who lose a parent, that time on the court when you can focus on sports and not have to put up with people make you uncomfortable by trying to comfort you is golden. I said early, if he doesn't run back to the court and work to play, I don't think he'll play for us. We'll see.
Sorry for your loss. On to the second part. Lmao. Won’t play for us? Whattt!!!! Good lord.

He's played two years of the packline?

Lander has more time with the packline then Stewart does.

How long has it taken a lot of our guys to get comfortable with it? And we expect Stewart to do it in a matter of weeks, not excluding the days that we have games and travel on.

Him playing this year is a long
No, he's played 2 years of college ball which means he understands the nature of what a coach is doing generally, what it takes at this level and what you're going to see in practice. It won't take him nearly as long to assimilate as it does a new incoming freshman. Packline isn't a different sport or even different concepts. It's not like he has to run backwards in packline, and ran forwards in every defense he's played til now. He'll pick it up way quicker than a freshman will.

Last edited:
If he starts practicing next week and has 1 week of introduction and 2 weeks of real practice, I do not see why he would not be able to play starting with a few minutes with the Iowa game on 2/7. That would leave 8 BT games + the NCAA tourney assuming the BT tourney gets cancelled.

Meechie Johnson, a pg from OSU, is now playing for them. He started practicing in Mid-December after graduating HS. He was also coming off a season-ending knee operation. If he's playing there is no logical reason why Stewart couldn't as well.

Meechie played AAU all summer his knee injury was the year prior. Cleared to play last February. He was in great shape coming into Ohio state. Parker from all accounts I’ve heard hasn’t played or practiced at all. I still say he’s not going to play anytime soon. Why rush it if he’s not ready.

IU's not going to play anybody who's not ready to play. Clearly. If he were able to play this year he likely would. I'm not betting on it though. But thinking a kid who just arrived on campus within the last week without weeks to months of any kind of conditioning or practice on top of any kind of acclimation period should be playing within a 2 to 3 week period is delusional.

and your guessing what his story is, just like I am, but I've been through it. Trust me, for 99% of kids/students who lose a parent, that time on the court when you can focus on sports and not have to put up with people making you uncomfortable by trying to comfort you is golden. I said early, if he doesn't run back to the court and work to play, I don't think he'll play for us. We'll see.

First off, sorry about your dad. I forgot to put that in my original reply to you.

He's not the 99% though. It's not his dad barking orders anymore. Its Archie, and that will be very different for him. Just because sports was a safe spot for you doesn't mean it was for him, at least not for the last two months. I think you're downplaying the importance of his dad on his basketball career and how it might not be the easiest thing for him to do right away.

He hasn't touched a basketball or ran a court on two months. Getting in game shape is hard to do, especially at this level. You don't just run up and down the court, you have to stop, cut and start again. I loved conditioning in high as school because all the kids that hadn't done anything all summer would be throwing up within 30 minutes, and that's high school. You can't just turn it on and run up and down the court and think he'll have his legs under him.

He's going to have to get in shape, try and learn our system all while we're in the middle of the big 10 season. Its not like the coaches will be able to work only with Stewart. There's still a season that we're in the middle of and teams we have to play and get ready for.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
No, he's played 2 years of college ball which means he understands the nature of what a coach is doing generally, what it takes at this level and what you're going to see in practice. It won't take him nearly as long to assimilate as it does a new incoming freshman. Packline isn't a different sport or even different concepts. It's not like he has to run backwards in packline, and ran forwards in every defense he's played til now. He'll pick it up way quicker than a freshman will.

Packline has different principles then basic man to man. There's a reason why teams can exploit the three point line on us at times. There's different reads and shading that we do that basic man doesn't. Its more complicated then you think.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
First off, sorry about your dad. I forgot to put that in my original reply to you.

He's not the 99% though. It's not his dad barking orders anymore. Its Archie, and that will be very different for him. Just because sports was a safe spot for you doesn't mean it was for him, at least not for the last two months. I think you're downplaying the importance of his dad on his basketball career and how it might not be the easiest thing for him to do right away.

He hasn't touched a basketball or ran a court on two months. Getting in game shape is hard to do, especially at this level. You don't just run up and down the court, you have to stop, cut and start again. I loved conditioning in high as school because all the kids that hadn't done anything all summer would be throwing up within 30 minutes, and that's high school. You can't just turn it on and run up and down the court and think he'll have his legs under him.

He's going to have to get in shape, try and learn our system all while we're in the middle of the big 10 season. Its not like the coaches will be able to work only with Stewart. There's still a season that we're in the middle of and teams we have to play and get ready for.

...and I'm just telling you that if he's not touched a ball or been on a court in 2 months, and I'm not saying it might not happen, but if it has with a college age athlete, then I don't think that guy will ever want to play at this level again or it will take a LONG time. I could see taking a few days or maybe a week or 2 off, but if you took 2 months off? That guy's got several months of therapy ahead of him, IMO. And, I'd emphasize, this is strictly my unprofessional opinion, but I don't see someone who's been an athlete and a competitor reacting that way. I think that guy would be in the gym sooner rather than later and burning it up. I'm far from an athlete anymore, but when i got separated and had alot of stress in my life, I was killing myself in the gym. Best shape of my life since I was probably 25.

Packline has different principles then basic man to man. There's a reason why teams can exploit the three point line on us at times. There's different reads and shading that we do that basic man doesn't. Its more complicated then you think.
I've read a lot about packline and I don't see the principles being that different. I think CAM could take a good defender from RMK's teams and have him being a thorougly adequate packline defender in a week. Now there would be nuances, critiquing and coaching going on over the course of a season/career, but the principles are very similar to good m2m help D.

...and I'm just telling you that if he's not touched a ball or been on a court in 2 months, and I'm not saying it might not happen, but if it has with a college age athlete, then I don't think that guy will ever want to play at this level again or it will take a LONG time. I could see taking a few days or maybe a week or 2 off, but if you took 2 months off? That guy's got several months of therapy ahead of him, IMO. And, I'd emphasize, this is strictly my unprofessional opinion, but I don't see someone who's been an athlete and a competitor reacting that way. I think that guy would be in the gym sooner rather than later and burning it up. I'm far from an athlete anymore, but when i got separated and had alot of stress in my life, I was killing myself in the gym. Best shape of my life since I was probably 25.

Hes never going to play for us if he doesn't come back soon? Man, that's a real reach on your part.

For all we know, he is in therapy. People react to death differently, so its taking him a little longer to get back. That's okay. Not everyone reacts to the loss of a loved one the same. You seem to be basing this on how you reacted, which id apples and oranges. Thats not fair to the kid to put pressure on him to play before be is ready.

This board has put him on such a high pedestal that if he doesn't come and he become our savior, all hell will break lose.

Yes it is. It utilizes a switching ball screen. That hard hedge that people on this board hate is critical too. Knights teams never switched or hedged. The close out on the ball reversal is key. It’s not something a lot of players are used to.

Yes it is. It utilizes a switching ball screen. That hard hedge that people on this board hate is critical too. Knights teams never switched or hedged. The close out on the ball reversal is key. It’s not something a lot of players are used to.
The one thing I do hate is..The everybody switching ..When Rob or Leal switch...It's mouse in the house time...Not that both don't try..
It's that they just aren't strong enough when that happens..Especially in the post..

Reactions: kmathum
The one thing I do hate is..The everybody switching ..When Rob or Leal switch...It's mouse in the house time...Not that both don't try..
It's that they just aren't strong enough when that happens..Especially in the post..
That’s the weakness of the packline. That and the close out. We have done moderately well though. Packline players need to be rangy and long.

I've read a lot about packline and I don't see the principles being that different. I think CAM could take a good defender from RMK's teams and have him being a thorougly adequate packline defender in a week. Now there would be nuances, critiquing and coaching going on over the course of a season/career, but the principles are very similar to good m2m help D.
Tony Bennett would disagree with you. It takes a lot more time to teach the pack line than straight up man.

Tony Bennett would disagree with you. It takes a lot more time to teach the pack line than straight up man.
One is not really more difficult to teach or play than the other. It's just primarily different principles on where to force the ball due to where your help is. We experimented with it some at the high school level but ultimately decided against it. Without a shot clock, I found that it allowed the offense to play more comfortably for a longer period of time and that it took some pressure off of poor ballhandlers. It is also much easier to reverse the ball against the packline. I like it much better with a shot clock, because the clock works to pressure the offense to get shots quickly and ball reversal isn't such a critical issue. Your help is always to the middle of the floor and quicker to penetration.

With either style, you can't give up straight-line dribbles and off-ball defenders have to be in the right place to rotate, help, and recover. The toughest thing for young, inexperienced (or lazy) players is the tendency to watch the ball move instead of moving while the ball is in flight, leaving them out of position to help or late on closeouts. Lander has a real problem with this right now.

With either the packline or a more conventional "on-the-line, up-the-line" approach, length is a huge advantage (Bobby Wilkerson). Great individual defenders understand the importance of positioning both their body and their spacing on the floor, keeping their head active, and - most importantly - keep their butts in a stance, their shoulders over their thighs, their feet apart, and their feet properly spaced. Watch how really good defenders' heads stay level when they move and how they always push with their trail leg rather than "bobbing" up and down because their feet get too close together. This is why Phinisee is really good (both on and off the ball) while Durham struggles guarding the ball. Al has the nasty habits of gettin up out of a stance and getting his feet too close together or crossed which causes him to be off-balance often.

One thing we did find was absolutely true is that you have to commit to one or the other. It is really confusing for players if you try to do both because it kills their natural anticipation. Overthinking and then reacting rather than anticipating is deadly.

One is not really more difficult to teach or play than the other. It's just primarily different principles on where to force the ball due to where your help is. We experimented with it some at the high school level but ultimately decided against it. Without a shot clock, I found that it allowed the offense to play more comfortably for a longer period of time and that it took some pressure off of poor ballhandlers. It is also much easier to reverse the ball against the packline. I like it much better with a shot clock, because the clock works to pressure the offense to get shots quickly and ball reversal isn't such a critical issue. Your help is always to the middle of the floor and quicker to penetration.

With either style, you can't give up straight-line dribbles and off-ball defenders have to be in the right place to rotate, help, and recover. The toughest thing for young, inexperienced (or lazy) players is the tendency to watch the ball move instead of moving while the ball is in flight, leaving them out of position to help or late on closeouts. Lander has a real problem with this right now.

With either the packline or a more conventional "on-the-line, up-the-line" approach, length is a huge advantage (Bobby Wilkerson). Great individual defenders understand the importance of positioning both their body and their spacing on the floor, keeping their head active, and - most importantly - keep their butts in a stance, their shoulders over their thighs, their feet apart, and their feet properly spaced. Watch how really good defenders' heads stay level when they move and how they always push with their trail leg rather than "bobbing" up and down because their feet get too close together. This is why Phinisee is really good (both on and off the ball) while Durham struggles guarding the ball. Al has the nasty habits of gettin up out of a stance and getting his feet too close together or crossed which causes him to be off-balance often.

One thing we did find was absolutely true is that you have to commit to one or the other. It is really confusing for players if you try to do both because it kills their natural anticipation. Overthinking and then reacting rather than anticipating is deadly.

Our defense is good enough to withstand Parker. We need his 3 pt shooting.

Hes never going to play for us if he doesn't come back soon? Man, that's a real reach on your part.

For all we know, he is in therapy. People react to death differently, so its taking him a little longer to get back. That's okay. Not everyone reacts to the loss of a loved one the same. You seem to be basing this on how you reacted, which id apples and oranges. Thats not fair to the kid to put pressure on him to play before be is ready.

This board has put him on such a high pedestal that if he doesn't come and he become our savior, all hell will break lose.
It's not basing it on how I reacted, I was 11 when my Dad died, I'm basing it on my experience and knowledge of people and human nature. That experience tells me if you're an athlete and 22 years old, you'd want to get back in the gym, and that would feel good and that the court is where things in your life would make the most sense. I've freely said, this is just my opinion, and I may be totally wrong, but that's how I think most athletes at that age would react, or they'd go in a hole. We don't need a hole.

• Wow

This is why I said you could take a good man defender and have them being adequate in packline in a week... they'd still have lots of nuances and specifics to learn, but a good defender understands positioning, help, etc... and is going to react and be in position most of the time, and then need fine-tuning around the edges of whatever defense you are playing.

Meechie played AAU all summer his knee injury was the year prior. Cleared to play last February. He was in great shape coming into Ohio state. Parker from all accounts I’ve heard hasn’t played or practiced at all. I still say he’s not going to play anytime soon. Why rush it if he’s not ready.
That and Meechie just had a knee injury, he didn't lose his father (also his coach) a few months ago forcing him to transfer. These aren't even close to comparable situations.

Some of these posts are delusional beyond belief, Parker is a human being getting over the loss of his father. I doubt he's too focused on rushing back into quarantine mid season just so IU basketball can maybe win an extra game or two in the BIG10. Also lol at the idiots blaming it on Archie like he told Parker not to play.

This fanbase is unbelievable sometimes.

That and Meechie just had a knee injury, he didn't lose his father (also his coach) a few months ago forcing him to transfer. These aren't even close to comparable situations.

Some of these posts are delusional beyond belief, Parker is a human being getting over the loss of his father. I doubt he's too focused on rushing back into quarantine mid season just so IU basketball can maybe win an extra game or two in the BIG10. Also lol at the idiots blaming it on Archie like he told Parker not to play.

This fanbase is unbelievable sometimes.

I'm not worried about W and Ls, and I don't see Parker making that big a contribution. A knockdown shooter would be great, and that's what I'd hope for, but I don't think he's going to be a huge impact maker. I'm strictly thinking in terms of recovering from something like that, and I disagree with you: I think he would be eager to rush back, not to a quarantine, but to a team, and a court and working out... that's what he knows, what makes sense and hopefully what makes him happy. You can only grieve so much and then normalcy is what most people crave and is hardest to find during those times. What's normal for a college bball player?

Meanwhile, Al Durham is averaging close to 16 ppg. (and has quietly been shooting 38% from beyond the arc ) over the last four games. Keep in mind the 38% is still lower than what he shot last year, so it’s not like it’s a ceiling for the Sr.

durham has also shown some real leadership for the Hoosiers, and come up with some huge three point plays when the team was in shaky stretches, which have led to big IU runs.

Phin has shown some signs of life as well. Where Al’s limitations have always been more physical, Rob has as much physical talent as any guard in the league, he just seems to have confidence or other issues that live between the ears.

Parker may eventually be a good player for IU, But, it’s not like we can’t beat any B10 team just by playing a great (mental) game with the guards we have. And that’s even with Franklin sidelined.

this team doesn’t need a savior because we have no shooting, and that would be the wrong message to give to our current players.

this team needs to be mentally focused and play up to their abilities for 40 minutes each game. We do that and we’ll be more than fine.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about W and Ls, and I don't see Parker making that big a contribution. A knockdown shooter would be great, and that's what I'd hope for, but I don't think he's going to be a huge impact maker. I'm strictly thinking in terms of recovering from something like that, and I disagree with you: I think he would be eager to rush back, not to a quarantine, but to a team, and a court and working out... that's what he knows, what makes sense and hopefully what makes him happy. You can only grieve so much and then normalcy is what most people crave and is hardest to find during those times. What's normal for a college bball player?
"You would think he would be eager to rush back"? Who are you are you, him?

Something like that affects different people differently. His dad was his basketball coach, maybe he wants to stay the hell away from the court for awhile. I don't know and neither do you.

My expectations for Parker were never that high as a player, I think people that are expecting a versatile three point shooting savior are setting themselves up for disappointment. He's a slightly above average shooter with decent size.

That said, I never expected him to play this year. Even beyond the effect on team chemistry, to let a guy you just picked up mid season eat up minutes from players that have been apart of the team activities, workouts, ect...all year. It sends a bad message.

Just let him heal, he's been through a lot and hopefully he'll come ready to ball next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT