ADVERTISEMENT

Mgbako

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
what would be your thoughts of him after 4 games. Overrated? Lazy? Playing out of position? Woody being too impatient with him? Feels entitled? other

Going into the season I thought he would have to be a 15–17-point scorer. for IU to be a top 5 big 10 team, McDonald AA types you never know. Obviously, we haven't seen near that type of production.

At least the last game he tied his hair back it was bugging the shit out of me when it was in his face, don't see how that doesn't bother you trying to hoop.

I thought he played a little better against Louisville , maybe he is starting to understand the pace of the college game . It is a transition from high school to college , and it takes some players longer to figure it out .

Reactions: Bippy
what would be your thoughts of him after 4 games. Overrated? Lazy? Playing out of position? Woody being too impatient with him? Feels entitled? other

Going into the season I thought he would have to be a 15–17-point scorer. for IU to be a top 5 big 10 team, McDonald AA types you never know. Obviously, we haven't seen near that type of production.

At least the last game he tied his hair back it was bugging the shit out of me when it was in his face, don't see how that doesn't bother you trying to hoop.
freshman?

He looks pretty lost to me. He's attempting to pressure guards way out beyond the 3 pt line, which he isn't capable of doing(if he's being coached to do that, Woodson is making a mistake). He has taken bad shots early in possessions. He's definitely pressing offensively, but I also think he's pressing defensively.

I do believe he just needs a few 3's to start falling for him. That will loosen him up, imo. He's pressing offensively and defensively in hopes of earning more time. Once he starts to let the game come to him, he should be fine.

He is a freshman. I think he'll figure it out during the 1st half of the season and look like a much different player later in the year. Right now though, it's definitely rough.

agree, but now a days the great ones you can normally tell right away. especially when playing time is there for the taking.
Agree. He looks more like a #40 prospect than a #10 prospect. Nothing against the kid. He's not the one who came up with the rating. In a situation like this, which happens all the time, it's a negative to have been ranked so high.......its all downside, no upside.

I must be in the minority, I still think it’s too early to give an evaluation on his freshman year. Ask me in early January.

He looks pretty lost to me. He's attempting to pressure guards way out beyond the 3 pt line, which he isn't capable of doing(if he's being coached to do that, Woodson is making a mistake). He has taken bad shots early in possessions. He's definitely pressing offensively, but I also think he's pressing defensively.

I do believe he just needs a few 3's to start falling for him. That will loosen him up, imo. He's pressing offensively and defensively in hopes of earning more time. Once he starts to let the game come to him, he should be fine.

He is a freshman. I think he'll figure it out during the 1st half of the season and look like a much different player later in the year. Right now though, it's definitely rough.
he basically chest bumped someone at mid court the other day at midcourt for no reason then picked up a cheap foul and he was done for the 1st half after about 2 minutes. his shot does look good he's had several rim out, he isn't shooting airballs. would love to see a couple go in early and see what it does for his confidence.

Reactions: kkott
Overrated and a freshman. That said, on a forum when you say "overrated", it tends to be interpreted as "worthless". Not saying that. He could still be a big factor on this team.
no just meant overrated as far as being a top 10 recruit. if he was rated say like O.G. everyone's perspective would be totally different.

MM is a prime example of gambling on a 5* high school player or hitting the portal for a proven player. Ex. Dalton Knect. Watching Tennessee last night and the announcer said UT struggled offensively the previous year so they went and filled a need in the portal. Sounds similar to what IU is going through.

He has taken bad shots early in possessions.

This is false.

In fact, I can't recall a single forced or bad shot taken by MM yet this season.

If anything, IU fans want MM to be shooting when he has an opening at anytime in the offensive possession.

Reactions: bawlmer
I do believe he just needs a few 3's to start falling for him
I understand why, but I think it's a mistake for everyone to put so much emphasis on 3s with a guy that's struggling. He just needs good shots to start falling. Just like with Gunn (and Galloway), I'd tell these guys they are good players, if you're open and it's a good shot and you're confident in it, take a 3, but I'd tell them to focus on just playing hard, stay focused on D and being a good teammate and player and try and get them scoring opportunistically however they can. Focus on 3s and you might end up mind-f*cked like Gunn. He just needs some positive plays and I think he'll start putting it together.

Last edited:
Agree. He looks more like a #40 prospect than a #10 prospect. Nothing against the kid. He's not the one who came up with the rating. In a situation like this, which happens all the time, it's a negative to have been ranked so high.......its all downside, no upside.
I seriously doubt we recruited him based on his star rating without seeing him play. He's starting despite the slow start because CMW thinks he can help us.

This is false.

In fact, I can't recall a single forced or bad shot taken by MM yet this season.

If anything, IU fans want MM to be shooting when he has an opening at anytime in the offensive possession.
I think he's taken a couple early shots, which with this team, I don't mind and also a couple bad ones, but I don't think shot selection has been a problem for him.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
MM is a prime example of gambling on a 5* high school player or hitting the portal for a proven player. Ex. Dalton Knect. Watching Tennessee last night and the announcer said UT struggled offensively the previous year so they went and filled a need in the portal. Sounds similar to what IU is going through.
Wha? Everyone in the country would have taken MM. And, it wasn't an either/or for us; we tried to get both, along with many other guards and transfers.

It is a transition from high school to college , and it takes some players longer to figure it out .
100%. Suddenly everyone is as good as the best players you faced in high school. Many are better than anyone you ever faced. You're playing against 21, 22 year old or older grown men who have been playing at this level for three or four or more years. All your weaknesses will be exposed. It's a physical and mental adjustment that takes some time.

100%. Suddenly everyone is as good as the best players you faced in high school. Many are better than anyone you ever faced. You're playing against 21, 22 year old or older grown men who have been playing at this level for three or four or more years. All your weaknesses will be exposed. It's a physical and mental adjustment that takes some time.
for some it does (morgan), for some it doesn't (yogi), and some just weren't as good as advertised (lander).

Hate to be that guy, but maybe he's just still pissed about the Taco Bell deal. Get him a chicken chalupa before Sunday's game and let's see what happens!

Reactions: birdforbogey
This is false.

He took an early long range 3 off the break. It was a bad shot, therefore, not false. You know he's taken bad shots. And he's taken those bad shots because he is pressing a bit. It's understandable, imo. I hope he relaxes and lets the game come to him.

He took an early long range 3 off the break. It was a bad shot, therefore, not false. You know he's taken bad shots. And he's taken those bad shots because he is pressing a bit. It's understandable, imo. I hope he relaxes and lets the game come to him.

That's the tough call woodie has to make.

Keep playing him till it all clicks (but may break him) or take him out of the starting lineup (and it may kill his confidence.)

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
agree, but now a days the great ones you can normally tell right away. especially when playing time is there for the taking.
Not all the great ones. Every once in awhile a sleeping giant rises from the ashes of his despair. He will come and through his actions you’ll be pleased. Keep the faith. Better days ahead so keep head up, Grasshopper.

Reactions: sglowrider
Not all the great ones. Every once in awhile a sleeping giant rises from the ashes of his despair. He will come and through his actions you’ll be pleased. Keep the faith. Better days ahead so keep head up, Grasshopper.
Dipo comes to mind. Was never obvious that he would be the 2nd pick in the NBA draft in his freshman year.

We are dealing with humans here. They are nonlinear and at best, unpredictable.

for some it does (morgan), for some it doesn't (yogi), and some just weren't as good as advertised (lander).
I loved Yogi but he shot much better later in his 4 year career. As I recall, as a 1st year player, he was not expected to be a shot maker, a go-to guy or lead the team, but rather to be more of a distributor and ball-handler on a veteran team.

However, he did score some and do some other things exceptionally well. His killer pull up 3 point shot came later in his career.

Last edited:
I loved Yogi but he shit much better later in his 4 year career. As I recall, he was nit expected to be a shot maker or "run" the but rather to be a distributor on a veteran team.
Is your spell-check turned off? 😳

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Is your spell-check turned off? 😳

main-qimg-a1868ed2c9b94423acee7c123ba34c47

He needs to keep playing. Work with him while he is on the bench and send him back out. Calbert's job is player development. MM would do well to listen to him. He has hit some nice jumpers and it is too early in his freshman year to judge his entire season. .He needs a game where he can shoot and make a higher volume of shots.

He doesn’t look as if he was very well coached to this point. Some basics seem way to difficult for a player at his level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT