ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else delusional?

the home losses to Neb and PSU are bad. Just win those and we're at 19-11 and 11-8, and tied for 3rd in the conference. Razor thin margins for success. B1G as whole is bad, we may only see 5 teams in the tourney and a couple probably won't make it out of the first round.

Edit- throw in a win vs KU and we're 20-10 and probably in the tourney. We'll miss the tourney this year because we couldn't take care of business on our home court.
Bingo.

I think a big part of the potential success in the BTT comes down to a game that Indiana has no control over: Illinois vs. Iowa.
Iowa winning that game puts them at 11-9 compared to IU's 10-10 (assuming a win over MSU). Most of the tie-beakers work out that IU gets the 7 seed. Then that means that even if they can win the first game on Thursday, the Friday match up would be Illinois.
Iowa losing and IU winning likely gets IU the 6 seed, which means the 2nd game is likely going to be NW or Nebraska.

Frankly, I think the odds of beating NW / NU are significantly higher than beating Illinois.

I think a big part of the potential success in the BTT comes down to a game that Indiana has no control over: Illinois vs. Iowa.
Iowa winning that game puts them at 11-9 compared to IU's 10-10 (assuming a win over MSU). Most of the tie-beakers work out that IU gets the 7 seed. Then that means that even if they can win the first game on Thursday, the Friday match up would be Illinois.
Iowa losing and IU winning likely gets IU the 6 seed, which means the 2nd game is likely going to be NW or Nebraska.

Frankly, I think the odds of beating NW / NU are significantly higher than beating Illinois.
We need to beat IL or PU IMO to make it with out winning the whole thing.

We beat MSU, and beat one of IL or PU in route to the championship game (which hopefully we would face the one we don’t beat). We should be in even with a loss in the championship game. We would pick up that marquee win and 6-7 quad ones as well.

Reactions: kkott
We need to beat IL or PU IMO to make it with out winning the whole thing.

We beat MSU, and beat one of IL or PU in route to the championship game (which hopefully we would face the one we don’t beat). We should be in even with a loss in the championship game. We would pick up that marquee win and 6-7 quad ones as well.
True, but would you rather face Illinois fresh off of 4 days of rest, or the day after they had a hard fought game with Iowa for the second time in a week? IU has to win 3 games anyways, so they have to deal with the fatigue either way. Might as well get Illinois off of some tired legs also.

that's correct. Sunday is senior day in Iowa City vs ILL. If we beat MSU, then that game has huge significance for IU next week. But if we lose to MSU, then we're stuck in a mess and who knows where we land.

And think we are gonna make a run in the big ten tourney? I am gonna bet on us to win it.

You have to give it to woody, his teams have done much better in the latter portion of the season. They never quit on him like they did Archie. Speaking of, saying woody is worse than Archie should get you banned, Archie was the worst. That is not debatable.

This squad when they play with pace should beat every team in the league. Man, if they went out and won the damn tourney in Minneapolis next week, that would be something. I do think if we get to the final game, along with beating MSU, would be hard to leave out a 10-10 IU team. This tourney is a production at the end of the day, and we make a damn good show. One way or the other.
The odds are very long, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it, but I'll hope like hell we win the BTT. Winning the BTT would give us a great story to tell for years to come. I also would like IU to win a BTT before I pass away! ;)

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
True, but would you rather face Illinois fresh off of 4 days of rest, or the day after they had a hard fought game with Iowa for the second time in a week? IU has to win 3 games anyways, so they have to deal with the fatigue either way. Might as well get Illinois off of some tired legs also.
You know Woodson's teams struggle with being tired more than most. At least that was the story after the play-in game in year 1.

It’s fool’s gold.
Minnesota had 18 turnovers.
We are winning against squads that are actually playing sloppier than we do. The better teams in this conference will not give up 16 point leads like Maryland. So, to beat an Illinois or Purdue, we’d have to see them completely collapse. Now, Illinois is perfectly capable of doing that because they have given up large leads and collapsed. Purdue won’t do that.
Ware has been playing very steady and MM has ratched up the shooting. Everyone else on the team, it’s purely potluck what you’ll get from game to game.

I wonder what all the Woodson haters would say if Izzo or Musselman were coaching here.

Tom Izzo. 3-6 on the road in the B1G, only 2 wins against ranked opponents. With MSU’s budget, which is larger than IU’s.

Eric Musselman. 15-15, 12th out of 14 in the SEC at 6-11, lost by 32 at home to Auburn.
LOL That is so random. Thats like saying, I wonder what all the Woodson fans would say if Tommy Floyd or Dan Hurley were coaching here and throwing their stats out. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

The odds are very long, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it, but I'll hope like hell we win the BTT. Winning the BTT would give us a great story to tell for years to come. I also would like IU to win a BTT before I pass away! ;)
and if we don't win it this year, it will make an even better story in the future (hedging my bets!)!

• Haha
Reactions: BigMobe
It’s fool’s gold.
Minnesota had 18 turnovers.
We are winning against squads that are actually playing sloppier than we do. The better teams in this conference will not give up 16 point leads like Maryland. So, to beat an Illinois or Purdue, we’d have to see them completely collapse. Now, Illinois is perfectly capable of doing that because they have given up large leads and collapsed. Purdue won’t do that.
Ware has been playing very steady and MM has ratched up the shooting. Everyone else on the team, it’s purely potluck what you’ll get from game to game.
sadly, this is how I feel too. Consistently playing hard is this teams kryptonite. We need teams who will fall asleep at the wheel for awhile. That ain't Purdue.

I would enjoy watching IU make a huge run through the BTT and capture their first ever conference tourney championship. However, you could see it on the faces of the crowd in the barn last night; the gophers were well off their game (as pointed out above, 18 turnovers). Even Woodson commented earlier in the year when IU did the same, any team with 18 turnovers will likely lose every time. Now, was IU's defense responsible for many of those . . . yes, their defense was much improved. Still, thinking back to the three-game skid and IU's win/loss tendency this season they are due for a clunker. IU fans (including posts on this board) have questioned the identity of this IU team . . . for me, that's the identity; play really well one game and garbage another. Perhaps stringing three in a row will get them over the HUMP.

LOL That is so random. Thats like saying, I wonder what all the Woodson fans would say if Tommy Floyd or Dan Hurley were coaching here and throwing their stats out. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

It's not random with Musselman, as he was one of the folks people advocated for hiring instead of Woodson.

And people play the "what if we hired (whoever) game on here pretty regularly.

I'm giving credit to all involved.
We didn't completely fold the tent...
We'll see ? ..Watching hoops for 50 plus yrs ..
The next game is the only one that matters..

It's not random with Musselman, as he was one of the folks people advocated for hiring instead of Woodson.

And people play the "what if we hired (whoever) game on here pretty regularly.
Yeah but you're leaving a lot of information out. If we're using what he is doing at Arkansas as some weird proof of something, then we would have had an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 in the previous 2 seasons. The SEC has 5 teams in the top 17, the B1G has 2 in the top 25. I can keep going but there's a lot of holes in this empty logic sir! ha

Reactions: bkiefer7
sadly, this is how I feel too. Consistently playing hard is this teams kryptonite. We need teams who will fall asleep at the wheel for awhile. That ain't Purdue.
Purdue has outside guys who can make 3s and Godzilla in the paint. We do not match up well with them unless we can somehow get Edey in foul trouble. And the way the B1G refs are calling this year, that just has not been happening.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Yeah but you're leaving a lot of information out. If we're using what he is doing at Arkansas as some weird proof of something, then we would have had an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 in the previous 2 seasons. The SEC has 5 teams in the top 17, the B1G has 2 in the top 25. I can keep going but there's a lot of holes in this empty logic sir! ha
I think the only thing it proves is that good coaches have bad seasons. Of course, so do bad ones. I think the question is directed more at the hypocrisy of some anti-MW guys rather than proving MW is good.

Of course, I didn't post it. I can't keep track of every shiny new toy they find.

One reality that is keeping me grounded from entertaining fun thoughts like these...too much...is we've still been incredibly inconsistent in these last 3 wins. In each of the games there were wild swings in lead sizes and teams leading. Like 40 plus point swings. Every game we play from here on out, in all likelihood, will be against a team that is less forgiving on the stretches we play poorly. I don't see us keeping it together well enough to string many more wins together.

Reactions: .Gerdis
The selection committee will have to give us a lot of brownie points for a strong ending and set aside full season stats, saying that perhaps the X injury really caused a slide in NET of >40 spots.

Of course, that's a bit hard to swallow. i don't think it's been X's return as the major issue but Mbako suddenly not playing like a freshman and everybody stepping up on D.

I think the only thing it proves is that good coaches have bad seasons. Of course, so do bad ones. I think the question is directed more at the hypocrisy of some anti-MW guys rather than proving MW is good.

Of course, I didn't post it. I can't keep track of every shiny new toy they find.
No, that merely says proven coaches can have down seasons. Those coaches also have had success while our coach has not. Again, the first 2 years, IU underperformed preseason expectations and never even made it out of the first weekend, yet we have people acting as if this is just "one down year". He inherited the best player in the nation and the best he could muster out of that in 2 seasons was getting smashed by Miami? Woof.

No, that merely says proven coaches can have down seasons.
I said the same thing. Not sure why you're acting like I'm arguing with you.

This season isnt over, but it hasn't been great. TJD was great, but not the best player in the country by anyone's estimation except apparently you. He wasn't even the best player in the big ten as a senior. He was an All American, but he also improved under Woodson.

Tournament results don't mean much. Archie has an E8. Crean a F4. Didn't save them here.

We get it, you don't like Woodson. Plenty of reasons to not like Muss or Izzo this year too.

and if we don't win it this year, it will make an even better story in the future (hedging my bets!)!
Hard to beat a story of going from definitely out of the NCAA Tournament to an automatic in by winning the BTT. It's highly unlikely and that makes for a story to tell for years if it happened.

Hard to beat a story of going from definitely out of the NCAA Tournament to an automatic in by winning the BTT. It's highly unlikely and that makes for a story to tell for years if it happened.
True, but it's just really hard for me to fathom a scenario where we can win a few games in a row against decent teams. But, if someone turns the trick for us of beating PU, that would change things dramatically. I still would want to avoid NW and IL, so I just don't see this team having the wherewithall to do it. Eternally (as far as the BTT goes) hoping I'm wrong!

And think we are gonna make a run in the big ten tourney? I am gonna bet on us to win it.

You have to give it to woody, his teams have done much better in the latter portion of the season. They never quit on him like they did Archie. Speaking of, saying woody is worse than Archie should get you banned, Archie was the worst. That is not debatable.

This squad when they play with pace should beat every team in the league. Man, if they went out and won the damn tourney in Minneapolis next week, that would be something. I do think if we get to the final game, along with beating MSU, would be hard to leave out a 10-10 IU team. This tourney is a production at the end of the day, and we make a damn good show. One way or the other.
I don't think knocking off Nebraska or Northwestern in the BTT will vault IU onto the bubble. The Hoosiers have a lack of quality wins and many double-digit losses.

True, but it's just really hard for me to fathom a scenario where we can win a few games in a row against decent teams. But, if someone turns the trick for us of beating PU, that would change things dramatically. I still would want to avoid NW and IL, so I just don't see this team having the wherewithall to do it. Eternally (as far as the BTT goes) hoping I'm wrong!
As I said, the odds against it are long. VERY long. ;)

I wonder what all the Woodson haters would say if Izzo or Musselman were coaching here.

Tom Izzo. 3-6 on the road in the B1G, only 2 wins against ranked opponents. With MSU’s budget, which is larger than IU’s.

Eric Musselman. 15-15, 12th out of 14 in the SEC at 6-11, lost by 32 at home to Auburn.
Izzo has been to 8 final fours and won a national championship, probably not much. If Mussleman was coaching football and was .500, they'd probably say something.

IMO the most important thing about seeding is to stay on the opposite side of Purdue hoping that someone else picks them off. Hoping for a 6 or 7 seed and not the 8 or 9.
I’d prefer that, but not to avoid PU but to play them in the championship game.

The selection committee will have to give us a lot of brownie points for a strong ending and set aside full season stats, saying that perhaps the X injury really caused a slide in NET of >40 spots.

Of course, that's a bit hard to swallow. i don't think it's been X's return as the major issue but Mbako suddenly not playing like a freshman and everybody stepping up on D.
“The best thing about Freshman is that they become Sophomores.”

I’d rather that IU faced NW now. They have serious injury problems now.

someone explain to me how Mich St is 22 in NET and we are 96 , similar BIG and overall records.
I was talking about this with someone today. The NET is completely flawed IMO. I don’t disagree that Mich St should be higher than us, but not by 70 spots. They are 4-8 vs quad 1 we are 3-8. If this much emphasis is put on margin of victory then the NET is a useless metric. It’s always about winnning vs losing in every sport. Shouldn’t matter so much if you win by 2 or 20.

Reactions: bkiefer7 and asindc
I’d rather that IU faced NW now. They have serious injury problems now.
They were missing their starting guard when they beat us before. I think it's less about the talent or personnel and more about the teams that are workmanlike and can "bring it" for the better part of 40 minutes. That type of team is going to beat us. PSU did it twice missing their leading scorer, and NB, and NW and PU, UCONN and Auburn. We stayed with KU but I thought they coasted and weren't playing their best until the last 10 minutes or so, which allowed us to hang around.

They were missing their starting guard when they beat us before. I think it's less about the talent or personnel and more about the teams that are workmanlike and can "bring it" for the better part of 40 minutes. That type of team is going to beat us. PSU did it twice missing their leading scorer, and NB, and NW and PU, UCONN and Auburn. We stayed with KU but I thought they coasted and weren't playing their best until the last 10 minutes or so, which allowed us to hang around.
Point taken about NW, but I still rather take my chances with them in their current state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT