ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else delusional?

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
And think we are gonna make a run in the big ten tourney? I am gonna bet on us to win it.

You have to give it to woody, his teams have done much better in the latter portion of the season. They never quit on him like they did Archie. Speaking of, saying woody is worse than Archie should get you banned, Archie was the worst. That is not debatable.

This squad when they play with pace should beat every team in the league. Man, if they went out and won the damn tourney in Minneapolis next week, that would be something. I do think if we get to the final game, along with beating MSU, would be hard to leave out a 10-10 IU team. This tourney is a production at the end of the day, and we make a damn good show. One way or the other.

We will have 21 wins if we win Sunday and make it to championship game, don’t think we win. But with 21 wins, playing well at seasons end, you’d think we’d get some consideration. OSU with similar record has NET of about 60 yet we beat them twice and have net approximately of 100….cant tell me there’s 40 teams between us. Northwestern since injuries to their pg and big man, are struggling to get to the end and we’re not…and last week we were hoping woody gets fired and hire pearl, think that went out the window

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
And think we are gonna make a run in the big ten tourney? I am gonna bet on us to win it.

You have to give it to woody, his teams have done much better in the latter portion of the season. They never quit on him like they did Archie. Speaking of, saying woody is worse than Archie should get you banned, Archie was the worst. That is not debatable.

This squad when they play with pace should beat every team in the league. Man, if they went out and won the damn tourney in Minneapolis next week, that would be something. I do think if we get to the final game, along with beating MSU, would be hard to leave out a 10-10 IU team. This tourney is a production at the end of the day, and we make a damn good show. One way or the other.
Possibly, sure, and with the odds may not be a horrible bet. My question is, if IU, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all end up at 10-10 what does the seeding look like?

To get there Wiscy has to lose to Rutgers at Purdue. IU has to beat MSU, Iowa has just Illinois left, and Minny plays NW (albeit they would have to win to get to 10-10). Of those the least likely may be the IU MSU game, but we are at home?? Thought I had heard the highest we could get was a 6 if we managed to get to 10-10, but not positive about that. This would have 4 teams with a winning record and the logjam at 10-10 all tied for 5th

Reactions: Army88
Rutgers made it in with a .net of 77, so we’re only 20 points off of that. It’s not impossible but probably unlikely without winning the BTT.

How much you putting down on this tourney run?

Reactions: YOTHN

No, IU's schedule has simply been easier. IU isn't playing any different than they have all season. Don't get glossy eyed based on these last few games.

no, I don't see it at all. he has got them playing better, but I would be shocked if we are playing on Saturday.

No, IU's schedule has simply been easier. IU isn't playing any different than they have all season. Don't get glossy eyed based on these last few games.
Totally disagree. At Minnesota a team that had won 5 in a row at home, Wisconsin....never easy and another road game at Maryland. The way we had been playing we could have easily lost all 3 but won all 3. Win Sunday and I am fully on board.

Nope, not that delusional. The AC guys raved about how well we played last night, and yet I still see the same flaws. I know our D has something to do with it, but honestly I thought we just caught MN really bad and flat. Yes, we're on a 3 game winstreak, but it's been against a struggling WI squad, a lost MD squad and an MN squad that looked awful. I'd be more excited had we beaten anyone with a pulse. I think we can beat almost anyone in the league (I don't think we could beat PU unless Edey was sick or in serious foul trouble), but to put it together for multiple games? Don't see it. I guess one way to look at it is that we won yesterday with MR and XJ not contributing and not sure I'd have thought that possible earlier in the season.

Reactions: Al Bino
Nope, not that delusional. The AC guys raved about how well we played last night, and yet I still see the same flaws. I know our D has something to do with it, but honestly I thought we just caught MN really bad and flat. Yes, we're on a 3 game winstreak, but it's been against a struggling WI squad, a lost MD squad and an MN squad that looked awful. I'd be more excited had we beaten anyone with a pulse. I think we can beat almost anyone in the league (I don't think we could beat PU unless Edey was sick or in serious foul trouble), but to put it together for multiple games? Don't see it. I guess one way to look at it is that we won yesterday with MR and XJ not contributing and not sure I'd have thought that possible earlier in the season.
If Minny wins a game or two they will all be quad one wins. Committee doesn't watch all these games, if any. They do look at those quad ones tho. Go Gophers go, get to 75 baby! They were 76 before we played them.

If Minny wins a game or two they will all be quad one wins. Committee doesn't watch all these games, if any. They do look at those quad ones tho. Go Gophers go, get to 75 baby! They were 76 before we played them.
I guess, yes, we might be able to make noise in what I think is an almost historically bad conference. But I think this team beats a full strength PU squad maybe 1-5X out of a hundred. I think we'll really struggle to beat NW and IL and obviously PSU and NB have our #. No question we are playing better, but I don't think we could win it or even get to the finals without some help.

I think we win until we get to Purdue. The team is playing better, notably on the road, and the conference is god awful.

It’s IUBB. Always a tease. Hopes get up just so they can be dashed.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh

nah, the B1G tourney has always sobered me from any delusions I may be suffering. Hell Cody/VO and gang couldn't even get into the finals once.

I hope I live to see the day. IU winning the B1G tourney is starting to feel like the Cubs world series win...it's a race between me and the grim reaper, and every year the odds tilt more in his favor.

Couple thoughts:
1. still pulling for X but he has to get his shit under control. He was a train wreck in that first half yesterday
2. We don't have much talent on the bench to fill in for Ware and MR. Malik has fallen back into that trap of getting stupid freshman fouls. Our bench has thinned, not really brining much. Hope Walker isn't lost for the rest of the season.
3. If we keep playing like this and beat MSU, I think we have a great shot of making it at least to the Saturday game. And that will likely pair us with a high Q1 team. I'd like to get another shot at ILL. I think Purdue is just a horrible matchup for us this year and I don't want us to go 0-3 versus our fat ugly step sisters.

Archie and Woody are close. Archie couldn’t buy players with NIL. No way Woody could do what Archie did at Dayton.

That said they are both not good so doesn’t matter.

CMW is a career .500 coach... That hasn't changed at IU. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. This is what it is and will be. Woody's "hump" is 40 years old.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
The thing that really sticks with me is how we have gotten totally abused in the big "prime time" games. I also think those TJD teams had a lot more potential than the results. I don't think Woody has shown he can make a product that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Also, seems like maybe he "ran off" Matta and Fife. That doesn't allude to him being a team player for the greater good of the university/program.

3 things have changed. Free throws, assists and shooting. While we still aren’t taking many outside shots the ones we are taking we are making and the ones we hit last night hurt them. Efficiency and effort is up. Defense seems a bit better too. 26 assists on 28 makes is very very good. If they can defend and stay efficient I can say the boys can make a run. Mbako has swagger now too. Ware is just about unstoppable at times.

The thing that really sticks with me is how we have gotten totally abused in the big "prime time" games. I also think those TJD teams had a lot more potential than the results. I don't think Woody has shown he can make a product that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Also, seems like maybe he "ran off" Matta and Fife. That doesn't allude to him being a team player for the greater good of the university/program.
Well, that is not totally true the Kansas game we played great and led for 36 minutes only to falter at the end. Still a loss and unfortunately, I think they have struggled ever since.

Ha. No. They’ll never string that many games together. All we’re doing is playing ourself into the NIT.

Reactions: IUgradman
The struggle with winning the BTT for us may be depth and weariness. Our offense is better when we get out in transition, but running for 4 straight day would probably sap our legs by Saturday or Sunday.

And we can't rely on our bench to spell us, because we can't beat anyone with those guys playing big minutes.

There are a lot of seed permutations out there, but we are pretty likely to get a 6 or 7 seed if we win against MSU at homevthis weekend, which is as good of a draw as we can hope for at this point.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
People are getting a bit deluional cause we bet three bad teams. We still have not beaten anyone good. Every big ten win we have is vs teams with losing records except iowa.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Archie and Woody are close. Archie couldn’t buy players with NIL. No way Woody could do what Archie did at Dayton.

That said they are both not good so doesn’t matter.
Imagine how bad woodson would be without NIL. I think worse than archie was.

Imagine how bad woodson would be without NIL. I think worse than archie was.
Wow. When you really think about it... Walker instead of Mgbako. Sparks instead of Ware. Reneau, Wlaker & Sparks would be our three big rotation. With our bottom league set of guards. Ouch.

The struggle with winning the BTT for us may be depth and weariness. Our offense is better when we get out in transition, but running for 4 straight day would probably sap our legs by Saturday or Sunday.

And we can't rely on our bench to spell us, because we can't beat anyone with those guys playing big minutes.

There are a lot of seed permutations out there, but we are pretty likely to get a 6 or 7 seed if we win against MSU at homevthis weekend, which is as good of a draw as we can hope for at this point.
i did the math the other day, and I think if we beat MSU, we have the head-to-head tie breakers with both them and Minny. Iowa has to beat ILL on Sunday for them to be the 6th. If they lose, they finish 10-10 and we have the head-to-head against Iowa.

But if we lose to MSU, we fall back into a big mess of teams finishing 9-11, some of which will have the tiebreaker over us.... and who knows what our seed ends up being. If RU and PSU finish with wins and at 9-11, we don't have the tiebreaker vs either of them, so there's still an outside chance we could get stuck playing on Wed.

i did the math the other day, and I think if we beat MSU, we have the head-to-head tie breakers with both them and Minny. Iowa has to beat ILL on Sunday for them to be the 6th. If they lose, they finish 10-10 and we have the head-to-head against Iowa.

But if we lose to MSU, we fall back into a big mess of teams finishing 9-11, some of which will have the tiebreaker over us.... and who knows what our seed ends up being. If RU and PSU finish with wins and at 9-11, we don't have the tiebreaker vs either of them, so there's still an outside chance we could get stuck playing on Wed.
I did some similar math last night. If we don’t lose the rest of the season and post-season, we will win the Natty.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU

As we knew at the time, that Kansas game looms large. We really needed a marquee win. I think our numbers are too bad unless we win.

Well, that is not totally true the Kansas game we played great and led for 36 minutes only to falter at the end. Still a loss and unfortunately, I think they have struggled ever since.
OK, I will give you Kansas at home this year, although, when they got going, it wasn't much of a contest. What about all the others? The Auburns, Arizonas, UConns, we got butt-blasted on a national stage numerous times. Hell, we were lucky to beat U of L.

People are getting a bit deluional cause we bet three bad teams. We still have not beaten anyone good. Every big ten win we have is vs teams with losing records except iowa.
We have won several road conference games, tho, and NO road game in the conference is a gimme. I will give the team kuddos for winning some games I didn't expect them to win. Obviously, have lost some games we shouldn't have.

I did some similar math last night. If we don’t lose the rest of the season and post-season, we will win the Natty.
now that is some glass-half-full sunshine-filled lemonade made from sour lemons.

I also did some similar math and determined that if they closed down all Starbucks, curbing my wife's spending habits, I could retire 3 years early.

Reactions: IUclover
I wonder what all the Woodson haters would say if Izzo or Musselman were coaching here.

Tom Izzo. 3-6 on the road in the B1G, only 2 wins against ranked opponents. With MSU’s budget, which is larger than IU’s.

Eric Musselman. 15-15, 12th out of 14 in the SEC at 6-11, lost by 32 at home to Auburn.

We have won several road conference games, tho, and NO road game in the conference is a gimme. I will give the team kuddos for winning some games I didn't expect them to win. Obviously, have lost some games we shouldn't have.
the home losses to Neb and PSU are bad. Just win those and we're at 19-11 and 11-8, and tied for 3rd in the conference. Razor thin margins for success. B1G as whole is bad, we may only see 5 teams in the tourney and a couple probably won't make it out of the first round.

Edit- throw in a win vs KU and we're 20-10 and probably in the tourney. We'll miss the tourney this year because we couldn't take care of business on our home court.

I wonder what all the Woodson haters would say if Izzo or Musselman were coaching here.

Tom Izzo. 3-6 on the road in the B1G, only 2 wins against ranked opponents. With MSU’s budget, which is larger than IU’s.

Eric Musselman. 15-15, 12th out of 14 in the SEC at 6-11, lost by 32 at home to Auburn.
With Izzo, he has a track record that earns him passes during down years. Woody doesn’t have that success that confirms he can win big. Not sure MSU has more NIL than us.

Idk much about Musselman.

One game seasons the rest of the way. Let's take care of Sparty next and go into the BTT with a 4 game winning streak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT