ADVERTISEMENT

Painter

Painter was an IU guy. He is a disciple of Knight, Keady, and Wooden in that order. He used to stay with the Knights and played with Pat on their AAU team. He played for Keady and coached under him. Years ago he flew to California and spent time with Wooden. He makes no bones about how he feels about coach Knight and he loved him. He wants to have a culture like they did. Can he do it? Not sure in the days of NIL but I like the fact that he is going to try.
Palambizio.

A little research would keep you from making foolish statements. Edey cannot earn any NIL, it would be in violation of his VISA and he would be sent back to Canada.
That rule changed this year he made about 3mm in NIL this year.

Notice his mom isn’t having to hock bracelets anymore

Reactions: CriticArisen
This is the year for Purdue to win it all. Think about it, it’s perfect irony for them to finally get their first when IU is at perhaps an all time low with no future to look forward to.

So not only will this board be mad, especially if we are short handed next year because of incompetent management and coaching, but our program will have no direction while our rival is at the top of the college basketball world.
To then drop like a rock the following season

A respected former coach addressed the Edey foul situation quite simply. Go back and look at all four year’s Edey has played. That’s 133 games and even when he was a a non starter and a raw freshman he was never called for excessive fouls. no matter where you look, Big Ten games him or away, out of conference games away, neutral site games, NCAA games. It makes no difference. They just interviewed five officials from all over. They all came to pretty much the same conclusion. He does no foul very much. He has an extraordinary knowledge of the game and the rules and he gets fouled much more than is ever called. As for Gonzaga, CMP respects every opponent and Gonzaga is always good. If they are fortunate enough to play Gonzaga it will be a challenge. If you were a betting man you would have to consider these facts. Purdue has played Gonzaga four times and once was at home and three times on a neutral court. Purdue has never lost to Gonzaga. Coach Keady was 2-0 against Gonzaga with 1 win, 83-68 over Dan Manson and another, 75-66 over Mark Few in his first game. Coach Painter is 2-0 vs Coach Few, winning 84-68 in Portland, Oregon last year and 73-63 in Maui this year. Purdue trailed the Zags 35-30 at the half back in November and won 73-63. The Boilermakers won the three day classic beating Gonzaga in game 1, topping Tennessee 71-67 in game 2 and beating Marquette 78-75. Three games in three days against teams who are all currently still alive in the NCAAT and are seeded # 4, # 2, and # 2.
There are no guarantees in sports and there has seldom been as much parity in college basketball than exists today. But, I still recall from my college days how the who beat who mantra could make a case for DePauw being the national champs. We beat Butler and Jeff Blue by 17, Butler defeated Bradley with Chet Walker, Bradley downed National Champion Cincinnati with Yates, Thacker and Hogue. Our lineup was Jim Zerface and Larry Samela at guards, Dale Anderson and Larry Leas at forward and Herb Spier at center and Wally Foltz and Ron Zawleski off the bench. Have a good day.
What does beating Gonzaga with Keady have to do with probabilities on this game? That's like saying historical dice rolls have an impact on probabilities of future dice rolls? For the record I wasn't saying he fouls, he gets calls all the time now.

Both teams are playing well and tourney time is different after playing a whole season of basketball.

To a top 25 team?

I wouldn't be shocked if Purdue finishes next year in the Top 15.

The young guns are getting some run right now with Smith, Loyer, Heide, Colvin, TKR. Then with Catchings and Harris coming in with some other pieces and Purdue will be just fine.

Just listened to his press conference pre utah state. Says they probably will not take one portal guy this spring. Now no idea how they do in the tourney but it is clear they will never live in the portal they just build a team. Wish we could build a team. The way he talks is 100 percent about building a culture period.
This is a hard listen an iu guy but man he is everything we used to be.

as an IU guy i'm looking for a reason to dislike him and i can't. i see why he's had such a successful tenure.

My only knock on Painter is that he was arguing on the Fan that Edy gets fouled more than he gets calls. He basically trashed Collinsworth for complaining and said to go watch the tape.

I watched the IL game and not only did Illinois get jobbed on calls, Edey got away with a ton of fouls of his own. They will have their hands full with Gonzaga. I'd love to see Utah State end their season.
Ehhh, you have to expect a coach to defend his lunch ticket...even when he is wrong. No prob with that.

I like matt and have often speculated on what he could have accomplished had he played for Knight and then coached in Btown with the systemic advantages and resources at his disposal.

That rule changed this year he made about 3mm in NIL this year.

Notice his mom isn’t having to hock bracelets anymore
Link?

His NIL hurdle was his visa not an NIL rule. They worked around it by getting him paid in CA. As for what he made, that is not known. ON3 has estimated him pretty high #6MBB but no actual figures.

Ehhh, you have to expect a coach to defend his lunch ticket...even when he is wrong. No prob with that.

I like matt and have often speculated on what he could have accomplished had he played for Knight and then coached in Btown with the systemic advantages and resources at his disposal.
I liked Woodson too and often "speculated on what he could have accomplished had he played for Knight and then coached in Btown with the systemic advantages and resources at his disposal". Then I found out.

I think Painter was alluding to Collinsworth saying his strategy on Edey was that he had 3 guys with 5 fouls and they were going to use them in a pre game interview. Then he blows up after they get called for the fouls he stated he was going to use. Kinda dumb. He's a good coach but that was pretty stupid to do after he made that comment in a pre game interview.

I liked Woodson too and often "speculated on what he could have accomplished had he played for Knight and then coached in Btown with the systemic advantages and resources at his disposal". Then I found out.
I have to admit i never did that...until he got hired. lol

Reactions: Harpo Marxist
I think Painter was alluding to Collinsworth saying his strategy on Edey was that he had 3 guys with 5 fouls and they were going to use them in a pre game interview. Then he blows up after they get called for the fouls he stated he was going to use. Kinda dumb. He's a good coach but that was pretty stupid to do after he made that comment in a pre game interview.
I didn't hear Matt's remarks so I can't really comment specifically other than to say any coach will defend his guys...right or wrong, especially when they are getting dragged as badly as this poor kid is.

Link?

His NIL hurdle was his visa not an NIL rule. They worked around it by getting him paid in CA. As for what he made, that is not known. ON3 has estimated him pretty high #6MBB but no actual figures.

Like most things, the market adjusted. They launder money through Canadian groups, but he still gets paid.

And I know a bit of this because I know the boosters that connected Edey to these mechanisms. My dad is a Purdue booster and so are quite a few friends from growing up.

Like most things, the market adjusted. They launder money through Canadian groups, but he still gets paid.

And I know a bit of this because I know the boosters that connected Edey to these mechanisms. My dad is a Purdue booster and so are quite a few friends from growing up.
Correct, that was my point in correcting your post

Really? Purdue scored 57 points in the second half yesterday and Edey scored 2 of them. The narrative on Edey has changed one helluva lot with only pure zealots clinging to the “he’s just big and the refs are biased” talking points. Name me one athlete who played hockey and baseball until he was 15 and then became the first basketball player in more than 40 years to win back to back POY awards? CMP and Brandon Brantley had a lot to do with that. If he ranked 440th in his incoming class, where would he have been ranked among all the players who competed the last four years? 1500th to 2000nd!

Really? Purdue scored 57 points in the second half yesterday and Edey scored 2 of them. The narrative on Edey has changed one helluva lot with only pure zealots clinging to the “he’s just big and the refs are biased” talking points. Name me one athlete who played hockey and baseball until he was 15 and then became the first basketball player in more than 40 years to win back to back POY awards? CMP and Brandon Brantley had a lot to do with that. If he ranked 440th in his incoming class, where would he have been ranked among all the players who competed the last four years? 1500th to 2000nd!
It’s about the defense deployed to stop Edey It makes for pretty open shots. Without Eddy not so much. You will see

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT