ADVERTISEMENT

Painter

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
Just listened to his press conference pre utah state. Says they probably will not take one portal guy this spring. Now no idea how they do in the tourney but it is clear they will never live in the portal they just build a team. Wish we could build a team. The way he talks is 100 percent about building a culture period.
This is a hard listen an iu guy but man he is everything we used to be.

Last edited:
Just listened to his press conference pre utah state. Says they probably will not take one portal guy this spring. Now no idea how they do in the tourney but it is clear they will never live in the portal they just build a team. Wish we could build a team. The way he talks is 100 percent about building a culture period.

He is a good coach, but his culture is not superior to most in this day and age. Are coaches in the 2000's Davis, Sampson, Crean, Miller and Woodson have been to the championship game. (Painter no), Indiana. Painter 5 big ten regular season championships and Indiana 3. Yes Painters had good success, but his tourney record is just over .500. His losses to a 14, 15 and sixteen seed makes more national news than his successes.

He may not use the portal this year but if they did not have Jones this year they would not be as good as they are so he uses it to his benefit. He loses players every year like Newman at Western Kentucky. He has had several leave who did not fit what he thought they were bringing. It happens. Bottom line he is having success that we would love at least regular season.

Respect yes but that is all I could ever do about PU sports.

As I say this I am checking to see if my father is behind me. Please don't tell him I said this. I actually like Coach Painter. He's done different interviews and seems like a determined man who runs his program his way. As you said, "it's what we used to be".

Yes.

Whether his model of building a team will continue to work in the NIL and portal era remains to be seen.
So many talk about how the basketball of the 70's is gone and IU needs to play "modern" basketball.
It might com to pass that Painter will have to change the way he constructs a team to "modernize" his program.
Only time will tell.

Painter was an IU guy. He is a disciple of Knight, Keady, and Wooden in that order. He used to stay with the Knights and played with Pat on their AAU team. He played for Keady and coached under him. Years ago he flew to California and spent time with Wooden. He makes no bones about how he feels about coach Knight and he loved him. He wants to have a culture like they did. Can he do it? Not sure in the days of NIL but I like the fact that he is going to try.

He is a good coach, but his culture is not superior to most in this day and age. Are coaches in the 2000's Davis, Sampson, Crean, Miller and Woodson have been to the championship game. (Painter no), Indiana. Painter 5 big ten regular season championships and Indiana 3. Yes Painters had good success, but his tourney record is just over .500. His losses to a 14, 15 and sixteen seed makes more national news than his successes.

He may not use the portal this year but if they did not have Jones this year they would not be as good as they are so he uses it to his benefit. He loses players every year like Newman at Western Kentucky. He has had several leave who did not fit what he thought they were bringing. It happens. Bottom line he is having success that we would love at least regular season.

He has built a program for continued success with the way he recruits. Look at what he has returning and what he has coming in. How it should be, not pay high rent for a guy coming in to get “his”. Play for the name on the jersey not the name on your NIL deal.

Whether his model of building a team will continue to work in the NIL and portal era remains to be seen.
So many talk about how the basketball of the 70's is gone and IU needs to play "modern" basketball.
It might com to pass that Painter will have to change the way he constructs a team to "modernize" his program.
Only time will tell.
Yea. If he wants to add a portal player or two he can without changing up his strategy too much.

I’d like to see IU with a strong base and using the portal to fill one or two missing pieces each year (vs five or six).

As I say this I am checking to see if my father is behind me. Please don't tell him I said this. I actually like Coach Painter. He's done different interviews and seems like a determined man who runs his program his way. As you said, "it's what we used to be".
I agree. I have no criticism of Painter. They replace Keady with another guy at that level.
We have replaced Knight - 4 or 5 times and are still looking.

I bet he actually does select a portal guy or two this off season. And there will be portal guys thrilled to join his program…..
Just about every year it seems PU has enough surplus to red-shirt players for further grooming. Woodson just leaves an open scholarship. He probably couldn't fill the roster even if he wanted to. He can't pay enough players to come here.

"He wept" - Christ of Nazareth
"He slept" - Woodson of Indiana

Scenes we wish we had seen - "It's Georgia...it's GEORGIA!" ~ Tom Crean

But…. But……

He’s mediocre Matt.
He’s fat.
He can’t get high level guys and he a terrible in came coach.
He chokes.
Every year.

All provable data points we are bombarded with here constantly.

But listen to the dude and tell me that to have someone like this fat loser doesn’t have enormous intrinsic value for a university and alumni/fan base that want to hold their head high despite wins and losses. And then look at our mess. And the mess it will continue to be.
Get your wallet. Buy your pride. Sell your soul.

He just explained in plain terms how he will win and lose and not look back about his process.
Ever.

Cue the embarrassing and obsessed among us.

Barrister??

Reactions: Still Laughing
My only knock on Painter is that he was arguing on the Fan that Edy gets fouled more than he gets calls. He basically trashed Collinsworth for complaining and said to go watch the tape.

I watched the IL game and not only did Illinois get jobbed on calls, Edey got away with a ton of fouls of his own. They will have their hands full with Gonzaga. I'd love to see Utah State end their season.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Wasn't the best guard he ever coached a transfer?

Yawn. Pretend wholesome purity signaling. He'd take 13 transfers if it meant he could win a natty and use the threat of leaving to drive up his salary again.

But…. But……

He’s mediocre Matt.
He’s fat.
He can’t get high level guys and he a terrible in came coach.
He chokes.
Every year.

All provable data points we are bombarded with here constantly.

But listen to the dude and tell me that to have someone like this fat loser doesn’t have enormous intrinsic value for a university and alumni/fan base that want to hold their head high despite wins and losses. And then look at our mess. And the mess it will continue to be.
Get your wallet. Buy your pride. Sell your soul.

He just explained in plain terms how he will win and lose and not look back about his process.
Ever.

Cue the embarrassing and obsessed among us.

Barrister??
We need to take our concerns to the top, to Pamela Whitten, first female president in control of Indiana University. If she won't listen, as most women do not, then ask Provost and Executive Vice President, Rahul Shrivastav. All deans, vice provosts, and leaders of campus administrative units report to the provost. Maybe monies once earmarked for red and white pompoms has since been diverted to initiate a campus cricket club sport.

Can "first transgender-dude president" be far behind with this Woke group of pompom...excuse me, pompous buffoons, this nebulous " IU administration" we often speak of in disparaging terms? Who is it really running the show, the one calling the shot?. It's not all on Buckner's call. It sounds to me like the buck stops at the oversized desk of Shrivatav. Whitten was just hired for her looks. as most women are, but don't tell them that or you might get a dirty look in return.

Yea. If he wants to add a portal player or two he can without changing up his strategy too much.

I’d like to see IU with a strong base and using the portal to fill one or two missing pieces each year (vs five or six).

I wonder how it is going to go if one year or even some years, he has multiple people transfer.

NIL and the portal, IMO, have ruined college basketball and the game I see today does not even resemble what I enjoyed about basketball of the past.

Yep, I and old! :p

Reactions: .Gerdis
I wonder how it is going to go if one year or even some years, he has multiple people transfer.

NIL and the portal, IMO, have ruined college basketball and the game I see today does not even resemble what I enjoyed about basketball of the past.

Yep, I and old! :p
I’m glad the players are getting paid and they should be free to move around like coaches do, but it sucks. I like seeing players spend several years in the same place as a fan.

Maybe when this eventually moves to a revenue share players will sign contracts that keep them at schools for longer. I have no idea.

I don’t follow PU too closely but they don’t seem to have many xfers. Probably a result of recruiting for their culture, which is good work by Painter. I’m sure their NIL is decent for existing players too. Tough to see so much competence at PU and very little at IU.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I bet he actually does select a portal guy or two this off season. And there will be portal guys thrilled to join his program…..
They literally have no room. They have to “Crean” a player already on their roster just to make room for their incoming freshman class.

My only knock on Painter is that he was arguing on the Fan that Edy gets fouled more than he gets calls. He basically trashed Collinsworth for complaining and said to go watch the tape.

I watched the IL game and not only did Illinois get jobbed on calls, Edey got away with a ton of fouls of his own. They will have their hands full with Gonzaga. I'd love to see Utah State end their season.
A respected former coach addressed the Edey foul situation quite simply. Go back and look at all four year’s Edey has played. That’s 133 games and even when he was a a non starter and a raw freshman he was never called for excessive fouls. no matter where you look, Big Ten games him or away, out of conference games away, neutral site games, NCAA games. It makes no difference. They just interviewed five officials from all over. They all came to pretty much the same conclusion. He does no foul very much. He has an extraordinary knowledge of the game and the rules and he gets fouled much more than is ever called. As for Gonzaga, CMP respects every opponent and Gonzaga is always good. If they are fortunate enough to play Gonzaga it will be a challenge. If you were a betting man you would have to consider these facts. Purdue has played Gonzaga four times and once was at home and three times on a neutral court. Purdue has never lost to Gonzaga. Coach Keady was 2-0 against Gonzaga with 1 win, 83-68 over Dan Manson and another, 75-66 over Mark Few in his first game. Coach Painter is 2-0 vs Coach Few, winning 84-68 in Portland, Oregon last year and 73-63 in Maui this year. Purdue trailed the Zags 35-30 at the half back in November and won 73-63. The Boilermakers won the three day classic beating Gonzaga in game 1, topping Tennessee 71-67 in game 2 and beating Marquette 78-75. Three games in three days against teams who are all currently still alive in the NCAAT and are seeded # 4, # 2, and # 2.
There are no guarantees in sports and there has seldom been as much parity in college basketball than exists today. But, I still recall from my college days how the who beat who mantra could make a case for DePauw being the national champs. We beat Butler and Jeff Blue by 17, Butler defeated Bradley with Chet Walker, Bradley downed National Champion Cincinnati with Yates, Thacker and Hogue. Our lineup was Jim Zerface and Larry Samela at guards, Dale Anderson and Larry Leas at forward and Herb Spier at center and Wally Foltz and Ron Zawleski off the bench. Have a good day.

I’m glad the players are getting paid and they should be free to move around like coaches do, but it sucks. I like seeing players spend several years in the same place as a fan.

Maybe when this eventually moves to a revenue share players will sign contracts that keep them at schools for longer. I have no idea.

I don’t follow PU too closely but they don’t seem to have many xfers. Probably a result of recruiting for their culture, which is good work by Painter. I’m sure their NIL is decent for existing players too. Tough to see so much competence at PU and very little at IU.
Edey coming back this yr probably had a lot to do with NIL. Now I do not know this first hand. But I bet he could have gotten more money some place else

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I assume some of your denigration of women was intentional for some unknown reason. Unfortunately when that happens the point you are trying to make is lost.

Edey coming back this yr probably had a lot to do with NIL. Now I do not know this first hand. But I bet he could have gotten more money some place else
A little research would keep you from making foolish statements. Edey cannot earn any NIL, it would be in violation of his VISA and he would be sent back to Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
A little research would keep you from making foolish statements. Edey cannot earn any NIL, it would be in violation of his VISA and he would be sent back to Canada.

He likely earned 7 figures. I watched as one 100k contract was signed in front of me last year.

He can earn NIL he just can't work in the US. He can fulfill his work (aka filming) in Canada.

He can and does get NIL funds, he just cannot earn the funds while he is in the United States. Purdue's NIL collective did a good job working with Ontario stepping up as a huge backer of Zach's funding.

You’re assuming we’re gonna pull 5-6 portal guys. Can’t imagine how this board will look if we go into next season with 2-3 open schollies. I’m afraid we’re going to end up getting guys from the portal that are nothing more than a body so we can field a team.

I thought they got around that. If not you make a good point.

You’re assuming we’re gonna pull 5-6 portal guys. Can’t imagine how this board will look if we go into next season with 2-3 open schollies. I’m afraid we’re going to end up getting guys from the portal that are nothing more than a body so we can field a team.
Our last few portal adds maybe desperate.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Is this wrong?

Edey NIL Deal

“Edey, with the help of representatives at Priority Sports, successfully navigated the F-1 visa restrictions by executing the NIL deal with Daps while he was in Canada. Since the NIL deal was conducted outside of the U.S., he remained compliant with his visa.”

Edey NIL Forbes

Purdue center Zach Edey is expected to rake in $810,000 off the court through endorsements, including one deal with New York startup Daps.

Jones is a grad transfer. Little difference IMO in taking those guys in versus dudes that just want to go from school to school for the biggest pay check.

Painter has Purdue winning the right way. Their program represents what college basketball should be about. I personally enjoy seeing the programs that win the right way be successful… does suck that it’s Purdue but give me them over teams like Kansas, Oregon, Alabama, etc etc

Is this wrong?

Edey NIL Deal

“Edey, with the help of representatives at Priority Sports, successfully navigated the F-1 visa restrictions by executing the NIL deal with Daps while he was in Canada. Since the NIL deal was conducted outside of the U.S., he remained compliant with his visa.”

Edey NIL Forbes

Purdue center Zach Edey is expected to rake in $810,000 off the court through endorsements, including one deal with New York startup Daps.
That’s a lot of PST and GST for Trudeau and his cronies to rake in.

Is this wrong?

Edey NIL Deal

Edey NIL Forbes

I was not aware they had gotten that worked out, I just knew at one time it was stated Edey could not earn NIL. thanks for the correction.

Reactions: z_one

Let's see how he does with Edey gone. That guy is a huge difference maker. The kind that can make any coach look really good.

This is the year for Purdue to win it all. Think about it, it’s perfect irony for them to finally get their first when IU is at perhaps an all time low with no future to look forward to.

So not only will this board be mad, especially if we are short handed next year because of incompetent management and coaching, but our program will have no direction while our rival is at the top of the college basketball world.

This is the year for Purdue to win it all. Think about it, it’s perfect irony for them to finally get their first when IU is at perhaps an all time low with no future to look forward to.

So not only will this board be mad, especially if we are short handed next year because of incompetent management and coaching, but our program will have no direction while our rival is at the top of the college basketball world.
Pain!

I assume some of your denigration of women was intentional for some unknown reason. Unfortunately when that happens the point you are trying to make is lost.
I personally wouldn't have put it exactly that way, but he does make one very good point. Did you ever see an ugly TV weather girl? Think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT