ADVERTISEMENT

Portal recruiting…

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
Anyone have insight on how it is done as far as evaluating the kid? I see we have contacted a kid from Pepperdine already who just put his name in the portal. Does IU have someone watching film and evaluating kid before they enter the portal? Do they know what type a kid they are? Etc..
Seems a riskier approach to building a team vs recruiting a kid and building a relationship and knowing the kids family, and getting feedback from coaches on his character and if he is coachable.

Last edited:
Anyone have insight on how it is done as far as evaluating the kid? I see we have contacted a kid from Pepperdine already who just out his name in the portal. Does IU have some watching film and evaluating kid before they enter the portal? Do they know what type a kid they are? Etc..
Seems a riskier approach to building a team vs recruiting a kid and building a relationship and knowing the kids family, and getting feedback from coaches on his character and if he is coachable.
Your logic may be correct, but with zero incoming high school recruits (I have never seen that before), what choice do you have?
I still suspect Banks and Gunn will leave due to playing time and a losing team. MM and MR could go either way, but if they were to leave, could we field a team?

Reactions: bsmitty08
Anyone have insight on how it is done as far as evaluating the kid? I see we have contacted a kid from Pepperdine already who just out his name in the portal. Does IU have some watching film and evaluating kid before they enter the portal? Do they know what type a kid they are? Etc..
All this portal talk is depressing. As if this season wasn't bad enough. Bring on football!

Last edited:
Over the past three years...the Woodson method has proven that the "Law of Diminishing Returns" is valid. IU has a solid year to find the right coach, and get him on board. We have the assurance that the program won't improve to the point where there is a problem with replacing him...and the finances will have made a favorable adjustment in his buyout. I want the right guy to get hired....and if its the right guy....I'll wait a year to get him. IU's stature is already settled in at the mediocrity level...it won't get diminished any more. Plus....Woodson will be that much more "tired". This is workable as long as IU is actively recruiting that guy right now. Are they?

I’m probably in the minority here, but it really wouldn’t hurt my feelings if the entire team went into the portal. Seriously, that would have to force a change. Wouldn’t it? I firmly believe Woody and his merry men would be a bubble team at best with 13 5-star prospects. The only way we get better is to punt his tired ass into a rocking chair. Portal, schmortal, he’s a lost cause.

I’m probably in the minority here, but it really wouldn’t hurt my feelings if the entire team went into the portal. Seriously, that would have to force a change. Wouldn’t it? I firmly believe Woody and his merry men would be a bubble team at best with 13 5-star prospects. The only way we get better is to punt his tired ass into a rocking chair. Portal, schmortal, he’s a lost cause.
He definitely won’t out coach anyone

There will be somewhere close to 1500 portal entrants this cycle. Haven't even scratched the surface.
Ok. Thanks. Looks like players on teams that are done may take a week or two to enter and then others trickle in as they are knocked out of the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Ok. Thanks. Looks like players may take a week or two to enter.
Damn. It would be nice to know all the rules of this. Did I understand correctly that players can’t portal until their season is over? If so, Woody is only looking at players from similarly crappy teams. Hell of an approach: let’s sign a bunch of losers.

Reactions: kmathum
Damn. It would be nice to know all the rules of this. Did I understand correctly that players can’t portal until their season is over? If so, Woody is only looking at players from similarly crappy teams. Hell of an approach: let’s sign a bunch of losers.
I’m the wrong person to ask. I never paid much attention until the portal became so important. Basically players have to enter before May 1st and they can commit whenever (but sooner the better obviously). I imagine most players still playing won’t enter until they are knocked out.

?

The portal officially opened today for all underclassmen. There's no rule that says your team's season has to be over. It's day 1 of 45.

?

The portal officially opened today for all underclassmen. There's no rule that says your team's season has to be over. It's day 1 of 45.
Ok, that’s good. But the sentiment remains. Unless a couple dudes from Houston or UConn or some other really good team decide to portal instead of play in the dance, we’re focused solely on players from losing teams.

Ok, that’s good. But the sentiment remains. Unless a couple dudes from Houston or UConn or some other really good team decide to portal instead of play in the dance, we’re focused solely on players from losing teams.
Players have time to enter portal after tourney ends. May 1st is last entry day.

Reactions: brianiu
There will be 1500 players in the portal when all said and done and they will come from every school imaginable including UConn and Houston. UConn's starting backcourt began their careers at Loyola MD and East Carolina respectively.

There will be 1500 players in the portal when all said and done and they will come from every school imaginable including UConn and Houston. UConn's starting backcourt began their careers at Loyola MD and East Carolina respectively.
The whole point Woody made in declining the NIT was to get cracking on the portal and getting a head start on the teams still being forced to practice and play actual games. I mean, cmon man, there’s only so much time in the day when you’re raking in $4.2M.

The whole point Woody made in declining the NIT was to get cracking on the portal and getting a head start on the teams still being forced to practice and play actual games. I mean, cmon man, there’s only so much time in the day when you’re raking in $4.2M.
It's literally day 1 of the portal opening, and it will be open for another 45 days. And you can sign players through the summer that have already entered the portal. Did you think IU was going to have 5 new players with 24 hours? I'd much rather Woodson and staff analyzing portal entries than practicing for a meaningless tournament with a depleted roster.

It's literally day 1 of the portal opening, and it will be open for another 45 days. And you can sign players through the summer that have already entered the portal. Did you think IU was going to have 5 new players with 24 hours? I'd much rather Woodson and staff analyzing portal entries than practicing for a meaningless tournament with a depleted roster.
Not at all. I actually couldn’t care less at this point. But you are proving Woody is full of shit. He didn’t want to take responsibility for the disastrous roster he had and bailed on it. That’s all I’m saying.

Not at all. I actually couldn’t care less at this point. But you are proving Woody is full of shit. He didn’t want to take responsibility for the disastrous roster he had and bailed on it. That’s all I’m saying.
Fixing his mess from this year takes much higher priority than playing in a meaningless postseason tournament with 7-8 scholarship players. Not sure what else there is to understand?

Fixing his mess from this year takes much higher priority than playing in a meaningless postseason tournament with 7-8 scholarship players. Not sure what else there is to understand?
The timing of it. Play in a shitty tournament with shitty players in front of a shitty crowd and get beat by a shitty team. THEN go work the portal. You know, when there are actual players in there. As it is now, I’m guessing the boys are just sitting around with cigars and wine counting their money.

Actually, there are numerous highly productive players on teams that did not reach the tourney. You and I could put together a very competitive team.
The question is whether CMW and his staff can do it.

The timing of it. Play in a shitty tournament with shitty players in front of a shitty crowd and get beat by a shitty team. THEN go work the portal. You know, when there are actual players in there. As it is now, I’m guessing the boys are just sitting around with cigars and wine counting their money.
Why would they not get a head start analyzing the 300 some players who entered TODAY?

• Haha
Find another team to support

• Haha
I often wondered the same thing. Seems a lot of the players in the portal would be those deemed not good enough to start where they were originally at. That said there are gems looking to trade up (Ware for instance and Dickinson at KS) but I think they are few and far between. It is still baffling that we have no recruits or couldn't hold on to the one we did have. It does speak to someone dropping the ball on the coaching staff. (Ok CMW dropping the ball).

Last edited:
When the roster is full of new players....and it will be.....be prepared for this, because you will hear it early and often: "well, the guys are just getting to know each other...they are still learning to play together...so, we haven't found our groove yet".
I'm making a drinking game of his post game pressers next year.

If I'm not passed out from what the game did to me.

Team record does not mean anything is what I’ve been told..
Cam Spencer team record prior to arriving at UConn: 54-59 Loyola (MD) 3 seasons/ Rutgers 1 season

Tristen Newton prior to arriving at UConn: 34-46 East Carolina 3 seasons

Newton/Spencer is the backcourt duo at UConn who is the favorite to repeat as national champions.

Dalton Knecht, the literal best player from the portal this year and a lock to be an All-American, played on a 12-20 Northern Colorado team who finished 8th (out of 10 teams) in the Big Sky.

Again, team record doesn't mean what you think it means.....clearly.

Last edited:
MR and MM not in the portal yet knock on wood.
I'd be surprised if Mackenzie goes in the portal. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to the combine. But he improved his overall game a lot this year and he's surely getting top NIL money. As far as IU not playing in the tourney, I'll bet CMW is telling him we'll go as far as MM takes us next year.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT