ADVERTISEMENT

Portal recruiting…

I'd be surprised if Mackenzie goes in the portal. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to the combine. But he improved his overall game a lot this year and he's surely getting top NIL money. As far as IU not playing in the tourney, I'll bet CMW is telling him we'll go as far as MM takes us next year.
I think this is exactly right.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Of the 15 players on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team Sporting News All-American teams, nearly half of them started their careers in one bid/low level conferences before transferring up a level.

Dalton Knecht (Northern Colorado)
Tristen Newton (East Carolina)
Tyler Kolek (George Mason)
Mark Sears (Ohio)
Antonio Reeves (Illinois State)
Baylor Scheierman (South Dakota State)
Johni Broome (Morehead State)

And this doesn't include Zach Edey who was a 300 rated recruit with minimal P5 offers and DaRon Holmes playing at Dayton.

Anyone have insight on how it is done as far as evaluating the kid? I see we have contacted a kid from Pepperdine already who just put his name in the portal. Does IU have someone watching film and evaluating kid before they enter the portal? Do they know what type a kid they are? Etc..
Seems a riskier approach to building a team vs recruiting a kid and building a relationship and knowing the kids family, and getting feedback from coaches on his character and if he is coachable.
No idea about IU but Illinois (a school that uses the portal as a primary talent source) has an assistant who focuses on that and nothing else. Basically line up potential targets based off perceived needs and contact the players "camp" and express interest. The kid doesn't need to be in the portal.

Underwood has graduated one kid (Coleman Hawkins) that he recruited and made in to year 4.... he's been there 7 years. Seems to me that this is the model Woodsen wants to follow.

No idea about IU but Illinois (a school that uses the portal as a primary talent source) has an assistant who focuses on that and nothing else. Basically line up potential targets based off perceived needs and contact the players "camp" and express interest. The kid doesn't need to be in the portal.

Underwood has graduated one kid (Coleman Hawkins) that he recruited and made in to year 4.... he's been there 7 years. Seems to me that this is the model Woodsen wants to follow.
Well, if we could get guys as talented as Damask and Shannon, I’d take it in a heart beat. Illinois is just one of many schools very focused on the portal.
And of course you wouldn't recruit Shannon if you thought he was a rapist. Don’t know anything about that. Just talking about his talent. Plenty of schools wanted him.

Anyone have insight on how it is done as far as evaluating the kid? I see we have contacted a kid from Pepperdine already who just put his name in the portal. Does IU have someone watching film and evaluating kid before they enter the portal? Do they know what type a kid they are? Etc..
Seems a riskier approach to building a team vs recruiting a kid and building a relationship and knowing the kids family, and getting feedback from coaches on his character and if he is coachab

B Town Banners is a good site to follow portal recruiting...Right now they list the following guys as receiving IU interest:

--Marcus Foster, 6'4" Furman
--Michael Ajayi, 6'7" Pepperdine
--Tre Dinkins, 6'2" Canisius
--Amari Williams, 6' 10" Drexel
--Dakota Leffew, 6'5" MSM
--Frankie Fuller, 6'7" Omaha
--Kanaan Carlyle, 6'3" Stanford
--Jakobi Gillespie 6'0" Belmont
--Clark Stajchart, 6'1" Penn

Frankly, all of these guys seem like better prospects than Sparks, Gunn & Banks. My least favorite would be the kid from Penn, and I could see him getting 10M or more a game next year. I haven't seen highlights from Gillespie yet, but his #s are really good.

So far the only guy that even remotely excites me is the Pepperdine kid...We are ****ed period.
I haven't been blown away by anyone as of yet, either. Seeing a guy like Ace Baldwin come in and absolutely lock down the PG, create havoc for anyone merely dribbling past him and then also having a top-end offensive game is what IU needs to find in order for the transfer portal to overcome Woodson's inability to land a HS recruit.

If there is any good news out of McNeeley decommitting, it's that we have more money to spend on the portal. The bad news is we now have more talent we need to procure from the portal. If we're going to fail next year, we might as well do so with a veteran team so the new coach can put his own stamp on the program.

So far the only guy that even remotely excites me is the Pepperdine kid...We are ****ed period.

The only one I've watched highlights on is the Penn kid. No use until we have some sense that we might get somebody. But I did look at the stats, and all of them were productive stat-wise. I like the Penn kid least because he's 6'1", not really athletic, and is purely a scoring guard....only averaged about 3 assists a game.

Given our situation, I'd be happy with any of the other eight......they are probably better than what we;'ll end up with. What don't you like about them?

I haven't been blown away by anyone as of yet, either. Seeing a guy like Ace Baldwin come in and absolutely lock down the PG, create havoc for anyone merely dribbling past him and then also having a top-end offensive game is what IU needs to find in order for the transfer portal to overcome Woodson's inability to land a HS recruit.

If there is any good news out of McNeeley decommitting, it's that we have more money to spend on the portal. The bad news is we now have more talent we need to procure from the portal. If we're going to fail next year, we might as well do so with a veteran team so the new coach can put his own stamp on the program.

I think Baldwin was a top 10 portal guy at the end of the portal season. It seems unlikely we're going to get a top 10 guy this year.

But I think the guys listed above would work.....Look at Jakolbi Gillespie from Belmont...using per 40M stats his #s are pretty amazing. Per every 40M he averaged 21.9 ppg/4.8 rebounds/5.4 assists/2,8 steals/3.1 TOs while shooting 66% on 2s (!!), .387 on 3s, .831 on FTs. The last year at VCU Baldwin averaged (per 40M) 14.6/3.3/6.6/2.6 steals/2.9 TOs while shooting .468/.342/795.

I'm telling you....we should be happy if we can get 4 or 5 transfers as good as the first 8 listed above. I don't think we will.

I think Baldwin was a top 10 portal guy at the end of the portal season. It seems unlikely we're going to get a top 10 guy this year.

But I think the guys listed above would work.....Look at Jakolbi Gillespie from Belmont...using per 40M stats his #s are pretty amazing. Per every 40M he averaged 21.9 ppg/4.8 rebounds/5.4 assists/2,8 steals/3.1 TOs while shooting 66% on 2s (!!), .387 on 3s, .831 on FTs. The last year at VCU Baldwin averaged (per 40M) 14.6/3.3/6.6/2.6 steals/2.9 TOs while shooting .468/.342/795.

I'm telling you....we should be happy if we can get 4 or 5 transfers as good as the first 8 listed above. I don't think we will.
Another site is saying we've contacted Leland Walker of Eastern Kentucky. 6'1" Played at N.C. in Indy, 2 years at EKU, last with these #s per 40M played: 21.7/3.8 rebounds/5.7 assists, 1,5 steals/3.5 TOs, while shooting .472 on 2s, .342 on 3s, .832 on FTs.

Looks like the kind of unheralded guy Purdue would get who would really help them. Going to have to look at the highlights on this one....

Another site is saying we've contacted Leland Walker of Eastern Kentucky. 6'1" Played at N.C. in Indy, 2 years at EKU, last with these #s per 40M played: 21.7/3.8 rebounds/5.7 assists, 1,5 steals/3.5 TOs, while shooting .472 on 2s, .342 on 3s, .832 on FTs.

Looks like the kind of unheralded guy Purdue would get who would really help them. Going to have to look at the highlights on this one....
Size was always a concern of mine in high school but he was a very solid player, but he was very quick with a good first step. Would be lying if I said I have followed him since enrolling at EKU.

Size was always a concern of mine in high school but he was a very solid player, but he was very quick with a good first step. Would be lying if I said I have followed him since enrolling at EKU.
Yes, I remember him now from when Archie was recruiting him. Arch told he and B. Smith that he liked both and that their lack of height wouldn't bother him, then didn't offer either.

I do note that they now list him at 6'1" and the article I posted said 5'11", 6'0" at most. He looks like he can play and I like little quick guys with a chip on their shoulder. I'd be happy if we got him.

Well, if we could get guys as talented as Damask and Shannon, I’d take it in a heart beat. Illinois is just one of many schools very focused on the portal.
And of course you wouldn't recruit Shannon if you thought he was a rapist. Don’t know anything about that. Just talking about his talent. Plenty of schools wanted him.
"And of course you wouldn't recruit Shannon if you thought he was a rapist."

Izzo would have..... "Birds of a Feather......"!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT