ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating amplified the margin, but…

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
We were never going to come close to beating Purdue tonight with the effort we gave.

A big portion of the foul calls were called because we were a step slow, out of position, and reaching and hacking to make up for it. Since the beginning of time, officials have rewarded the most aggressive teams, and the most fundamentally sound teams. If you’re in the right spot, you get leeway. If not, and you reach, bump, or grab…not as much leeway.

In the end…Purdue is just better than we are. They had the best player on the court tonight in Edey. And they have guys around him that play hard, all the time, and they’re in the right spots, all the time. They also had the second best player on the court tonight in Braden Smith. He controlled this game.

This is the same coach that had beaten Purdue 3 out of 4 times. So I’m not gonna say Painter is a better coach, or out coached Woody. But with every mediocre performance like this one…it’s more and more obvious Woody doesn’t know how to effectively prepare and coach THIS team. Where Painter has the advantage on Woody, and it showed tonight, is he nearly always has a team that he knows he can coach well. He recruits to his philosophies and strengths. Since day 1, Woody has ridden the talent, and forsaken any efforts to build any sort of team that he knows will mesh well and respond well to how he wants them to play.

Officials made it look worse. But the game was over before it started.

We were never going to come close to beating Purdue tonight with the effort we gave.

A big portion of the foul calls were called because we were a step slow, out of position, and reaching and hacking to make up for it. Since the beginning of time, officials have rewarded the most aggressive teams, and the most fundamentally sound teams. If you’re in the right spot, you get leeway. If not, and you reach, bump, or grab…not as much leeway.

In the end…Purdue is just better than we are. They had the best player on the court tonight in Edey. And they have guys around him that play hard, all the time, and they’re in the right spots, all the time. They also had the second best player on the court tonight in Braden Smith. He controlled this game.

This is the same coach that had beaten Purdue 3 out of 4 times. So I’m not gonna say Painter is a better coach, or out coached Woody. But with every mediocre performance like this one…it’s more and more obvious Woody doesn’t know how to effectively prepare and coach THIS team. Where Painter has the advantage on Woody, and it showed tonight, is he nearly always has a team that he knows he can coach well. He recruits to his philosophies and strengths. Since day 1, Woody has ridden the talent, and forsaken any efforts to build any sort of team that he knows will mesh well and respond well to how he wants them to play.

I agree. But I still try to remember that we are a young frontcourt with a disappointing backcourt (X and Gallo) with a OVC level bench, sans Cupps.

Good news is none of our frontcourt should go to the NBA. Not even close. So, hopefully, we can use the portal to upgrade the guards. Can't miss 2 years in a row.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I agree. But I still try to remember that we are a young frontcourt with a disappointing backcourt (X and Gallo) with a OVC level bench, sans Cupps.

Good news is none of our frontcourt should go to the NBA. Not even close. So, hopefully, we can use the portal to upgrade the guards. Can't miss 2 years in a row.
Portal opens the other way too.

You can't have a first half like that and expect to win. I appreciate the second half effort, but too little too late.

No offensive identity or system. No consistent shooting. No consistent guards. Nobody that can consistently go get a bucket off the dribble. Bad defensive positioning. Poor rebounding. This is just a stew of bad, flawed basketball. Baseline expectations are not being met, which is basically beating yourself. No team is going to be perfect, but there is a lot you can address to be a good team and these things aren't being addressed.

I just don't trust Woody at this point to construct a roster and implement a consistent, winning system. The NBA coach that can recruit really well theory has run its course.

Ware will on ceiling alone

Reactions: Bill4411 and ams66
I’m not confident we’ll see any of the 3 front court guys back. Add Walker. And ol Woody’s crackpot recruiting staff better get cracking.

I’m not confident we’ll see any of the 3 front court guys back. Add Walker. And ol Woody’s crackpot recruiting staff better get cracking.
When a team’s fortune heads south, its players turn north, given the chance. The portal ruling provides that chance. It’s difficult to predict what next year’s roster will look like with its blown up possibility, but I bet it won’t include Monteverde’s Derik Queen. Not getting him would be a coffin lid clench-er for Woody.

Last edited:

There was certainly a vast disparity foul calls but the way IU was playing it sure felt like CMW's gameplan was for IU to try and rough them up down low. In the second half during the streak, there was some aggressive plays on defense, rebounding and swatting the PU guards that resulted in turnovers against PU that usually get called and weren't. Which, I am ok with that game plan if we feel like we're overmatched but without a bench, the end result was Mbakgo and Ware were sitting early and it all went to hell real quick.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Iu was out hustled and out played.
Painter had a great game plan to take away Ware and MR and force others to do something. Frustrating to see for sure but I’m going to watch and learn and open my eyes to what a great job Woody is doing.
@Imsowyctcwuzbetta

Meh. The officiating was terrible, as usual. Edey fouled on his 1st blocked shot at the beginning of the game. It wasn't called. It was a BIG no call. But IU generally got called for touch fouls, while Purdue mauled IU with no call.

It's clear Painter is the better college coach. His teams always play hard and are in the right positions, as you mentioned. It's a pleasant surprise at this point when Woodson's teams play hard the whole game, and they are almost never in the right positions.

IU could sure use Braden Smith this season, although Cupps is beginning to get more aggressive offensively. I believe in Cupps.

Painter seems to recruit tough players while Woodson recruits perceived talent and attempts to get players that aren't used to playing hard to play hard. Unlike you, I don't believe that's a recipe for success.

Last edited:
Painter had a great game plan to take away Ware and MR and force others to do something. Frustrating to see for sure but I’m going to watch and learn and open my eyes to what a great job Woody is doing.
@Imsowyctcwuzbetta
That “great game plan” has been the game plan of virtually every coach playing or yet-to-play against us. It fulfills common sense, given our track record of inconsistent outside shooting ability.

In hindsight, maybe Woodson should have sat Mgbako and Ware just for a few minutes to catch their breaths after 2 fouls before reinserting them again. Sparks makes me nervous. He’s no Durr, for sure.

Reactions: DCDAVID
@Imsowyctcwuzbetta
I would have known to focus on Ware and MR, and dare us to beat PU on the perimeter, when I was in 8th grade.
Coaches have been doing exactly that and any coach that doesn’t utilize that strategy should be fired in the middle of the game.

Edey does for Purdue what Alcindor and Walton did for UCLA.

It’s possible they will have a relative cakewalk to…brace yourselves, a national championship. What a media story that would be…no Final Four since 1980, the aged Gene Keady denied a banner, yet lives to witness his chosen protégé, former student Matt Painter, finally getting the 50 lb monkey off their backs. Then there’s the storyline, the likeable Edey, from Toronto, staying in college to earn his degree, his proud mother, born of Chinese immigrants, yet with a degree in nuclear physics, shown in multiple camera views weeping, having moved to WL from Canada in support of her only child. I can see PU going up against Kansas in the Finals as media’s darlings, the team for which everyone is pulling, even some IU fans, just because they represent the only remaining BT team. If they win it all, it will mean back-to-back champs having been upset as a #1 seed the year prior, a story in itself. PU appears to be a team of destiny. That said, it makes me wanna PUke! (Insert distasteful sound of college-day-like dry heaves)

@Imsowyctcwuzbetta
His game plan to take them away was recruit a 7'4" guy who can do FAR more than walk and chew gum at the same time. That's all that game plan was. Clog the middle with a Yeti who never gets called for fouls and eliminate almost all paint points. It's pretty well the game plan for all Purdue games and it's effective. But it's not exactly rocket surgery.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I would have known to focus on Ware and MR, and dare us to beat PU on the perimeter, when I was in 8th grade.
Coaches have been doing exactly that and any coach that doesn’t utilize that strategy should be fired in the middle of the game.
Purdue’s plan was much better executed. Nobody has shut down ware and MR like that

Ware has a decent chance. The rest, no. Not this year anyway.
Ware will have to continue to develop outside of the blocks to be drafted high. He gets exposed every time he matches up against a physical opponent. He has a great midrange game and can shoot the 3, also can play the high screen pick and roll at times, but he is not a back to the basket 5. He looked like a little kid trying to back Edey down last night.

It’s difficult to predict what next year’s roster will look like with its blown up possibility, but I bet it won’t include Monteverde’s Derik Queen. Not getting him would be a coffin lid clench-er for Woody.
Don’t underestimate the allure of IU’s NIL warchest. IU will continue to recruit 5* talent because of it.

MR was shut down by Kauffman also
Ah, Trey Kaufman-Renn, the 6'9" red-shirted sophomore from Sellerburg, IN who finished second in Mr Basketball voting to Caleb Furst, the academic All-BT his freshman year, the one Purdue plucked from our own backyard, coming back to haunt us.

Ah, Trey Kaufman-Renn, the 6'9" red-shirted sophomore from Sellerburg, IN who finished second in Mr Basketball voting to Caleb Furst, the academic All-BT his freshman year, the one Purdue plucked from our own backyard, coming back to haunt us.
Let's not get overly dramatic. TKR had 3 pts and 6 rebs. MR was not "shut down" by TKR. He was shut down because whenever he caught the ball in the paint, he was surrounded by 2-3 defenders, and often 1 of them was 7'4".

Don’t underestimate the allure of IU’s NIL warchest. IU will continue to recruit 5* talent because of it.
Agree. I just hope some of the 5* talent IU purchases are dogs that play hard all the time. It would sure be nice to enjoy watching IU play again!

Meh, TKR is ok. Not great, not terrible.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Ware will on ceiling alone
I thought the same a month ago. But I’m less sure now. His lack of strength has become quite obvious in Big 10 play. He has that crazy length that helps him overcome some of the strength concern. He is rebounding well and he blocks shots and affects other shots. And credit to Woodson for improving his motor. Don’t know how much he likes campus life and academics. But man - he gets pushed around. If he is in the lottery now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see his draft prospects drop some due to strength and weight concerns. If he stayed and added 20 or 30 lbs (which is possible on his frame) - his play and his draft stock would improve.

Meh, TKR is ok. Not great, not terrible.
That wasn't a great overall recruiting class. I think both Furst and TKR were ranked in the 30s, right?

Neither one of them really show that kind of talent to me. They're solid, but certainly not top 35-type players in a typical class.

Let's not get overly dramatic. TKR had 3 pts and 6 rebs. MR was not "shut down" by TKR. He was shut down because whenever he caught the ball in the paint, he was surrounded by 2-3 defenders, and often 1 of them was 7'4".
All I remember is the disappointment in IU fans when he announced for Purdue instead of IU. It was said here he's smart, comes from a good family and going to be pretty damn good when he gets adjusted to the college game. In other words, he'll be getting better against us, five more games...maybe more if we face them in the BT tournament. I wish we had him instead of them.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I thought the same a month ago. But I’m less sure now. His lack of strength has become quite obvious in Big 10 play. He has that crazy length that helps him overcome some of the strength concern. He is rebounding well and he blocks shots and affects other shots. And credit to Woodson for improving his motor. Don’t know how much he likes campus life and academics. But man - he gets pushed around. If he is in the lottery now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see his draft prospects drop some due to strength and weight concerns. If he stayed and added 20 or 30 lbs (which is possible on his frame) - his play and his draft stock would improve.
IF they draft on potential, why is that a worry? He can get stronger and gain weight in an NBA weight room with NBA strength trainers and nutritionists.

IF they draft on potential, why is that a worry? He can get stronger and gain weight in an NBA weight room with NBA strength trainers and nutritionists.
It takes up a roster spot that could be used for a player more ready for the rigors of NBA play. Plus, it costs an owner money to squirrel their nuts away for another day.

Edey is going to get his points; some nights more than others. Painter had a plan to shut down IU's bread and butter (Ware and Malik) and trust that our perimeter players would not/could not hit shots. The plan worked very well. When IU hit their shots early IU was in the game. When IU hit shots after half time they clawed back into the game. When IU began getting tired after the comeback, the shots again quit falling and the rest is history. These games are called rivalries for a reason; you win some you lose some. However, losing by double-digits at AH is the most concerning stat resulting from the game last night. I do not expect things to change until IU can get more consistent results from outside shooters. Games in which Ware and Malik can dominate will likely result in victories; those in which they are struggling will also be a struggle for IU to win; can't depend on outside scoring to pick up the slack.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT