ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating amplified the margin, but…

IF they draft on potential, why is that a worry? He can get stronger and gain weight in an NBA weight room with NBA strength trainer.
I didn’t say he wouldn’t get drafted. But looking at the mock drafts, he is in danger of falling into the second round. Second round contracts have far less guaranteed money. And they draft on more than just potential. If he could improve his strength and weight, he might be able to assure the first round or even the lottery in the 2025 draft. And much more guaranteed money.

No, the question is would you rather have Reneau or TKR. I choose Reneau but can understand why someone would go the other way, with the way Woodson allows him to play defensively. No heart or hustle.
One thing I've noticed about IU players is whenever they are guilty of a questionable call, they stare up at the overhead video, waiting to see the play for themselves. I think Knight would have admonished them for that. It's rather obvious with his facial expressions that Reneau has never seen a call go against him that he didn't like.

I'm in the bunch of guy's bolt to anywhere next yr.
Like who in hell thinks Woodson has things going in the right direction
If he lucks out next yr..What's next ?
Woodson builds Indiana into a perennial second weekend team ?
Nope .. Woodson's a barely get in ..Lose the first or second game in the tournament..That's his ceiling..At best!
Let's get a coach with some enthusiasm and energy...That runs a much better offense..

Reactions: salient43
I'm in the bunch of guy's bolt to anywhere next yr.
Like who in hell thinks Woodson has things going in the right direction
If he lucks out next yr..What's next ?
Woodson builds Indiana into a perennial second weekend team ?
Nope .. Woodson's a barely get in ..Lose the first or second game in the tournament..That's his ceiling..At best!
Let's get a coach with some enthusiasm and energy...That runs a much better offense..
We want to see wins and good basketball.

The players want a showcase for the draft.

Two different objectives.

Agree. I just hope some of the 5* talent IU purchases are dogs that play hard all the time. It would sure be nice to enjoy watching IU play again!
Do IU fans relish being an NIL team? If so, how do you get so much NIL money?

I’m not confident we’ll see any of the 3 front court guys back. Add Walker. And ol Woody’s crackpot recruiting staff better get cracking.
None are draft picks, and if they can't look good on a bad team, I'm not sure where they'd be going? I bet every damn one of these guys has avoided the foreign language requirement like the plague, not the smartest bball IQ bunch, so where? There may be some JC that would take them, maybe?

Reactions: ams66
None are draft picks, and if they can't look good on a bad team, I'm not sure where they'd be going? I bet every damn one of these guys has avoided the foreign language requirement like the plague, not the smartest bball IQ bunch, so where? There may be some JC that would take them, maybe?
I think Ware might go, but agree on the others. IU can tap NIL resources and pay them to stay if necessary.

What a dumbass thing to say.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I don't relish it but it's the reality. IU has generous supporters.
If things don't get better soon, IU supporters won't be so generous. Eventually, one needs to see a return on investments. It's been said Purdue isn't as invested in the NIL scene as IU, yet, here they are the #1 ranked team in the country during each of the last three years. Even Bob Knight was never able to accomplish that feat. I wonder if the high dollar payments can be a distraction for some players, perhaps changing their mindset, especially those of poorer backgrounds.

If things don't get better soon, IU supporters won't be so generous. Eventually, one needs to see a return on investments. It's been said Purdue isn't as invested in the NIL scene as IU, yet, here they are the #1 ranked team in the country during each of the last three years. Even Bob Knight was never able to accomplish that feat. I wonder if the high dollar payments can be a distraction for some players, perhaps changing their mindset, especially those of poorer backgrounds.
IU is fortunate to have large numbers of wealthy alumni that have been generous. But I agree that we go to the well a lot between FB and BB and have yet to see benefits outside of ridding ourselves of bad coaches and building nice buildings.

Recall the line from Fortunate Son…”when we ask how much we should give the only answer is more more more “

It doesn’t last forever.

IU is fortunate to have large numbers of wealthy alumni that have been generous.
Why does IU have such large numbers of wealthy alumni such that it is viewed as an advantage over others? Don't all the major players? Really, all it takes is one mega-donar of Mark Cuban like financial success.
Is IU's alumni generosity based upon 29 years of Bob Knight followers now being at the point in life of having discretionary income at their disposal?

Why does IU have such large numbers of wealthy alumni such that it is viewed as an advantage over others? Don't all the major players? Really, all it takes is one mega-donar of Mark Cuban like financial success.
Is IU's alumni generosity based upon 29 years of Bob Knight followers now being at the point in life of having discretionary income at their disposal?
I think that timing is exactly right. Mega money like Cuban is fine but he is not paying the buyouts or the NIL.

One thing I've noticed about IU players is whenever they are guilty of a questionable call, they stare up at the overhead video, waiting to see the play for themselves. I think Knight would have admonished them for that. It's rather obvious with his facial expressions that Reneau has never seen a call go against him that he didn't like.
To be fair, Reneau gets called for more touch fouls than anyone. It's likely taken away some of his aggressiveness defensively and rebounding.

Possibly, but I also think that the so-called "5-star" players who get the biggest NIL deals have their eyes on the draft. They don't care about winning college championships as much as they want a showcase to improve their draft stock. Both TJD and JHS got that last year, despite unremarkable achievements by the team. The NBA doesn't care much about team records when they evaluate draftees. And I think their NIL sponsors probably got a good return -- both players were popular and mentioned in the media constantly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT