ADVERTISEMENT

Least damaging split government?

Which split government do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Another thread got me thinking: so many folks around here don't really like either candidate, and a lot of folks are fond of slowing government down as much as possible. So let's say we end up with one party in control of the White House, and the other party in firm control of Congress (both houses): which version would you be more comfortable with?

Show your work.

I'll give my reasoning: I think Biden plus a GOP Congress is the best option, because the things Biden is most likely to do that are very damaging are things that mostly require at least the acquiescence of Congress, while the things Trump might do that are very damaging are more within the traditional purview of the office of the President without Congressional oversight.

Another thread got me thinking: so many folks around here don't really like either candidate, and a lot of folks are fond of slowing government down as much as possible. So let's say we end up with one party in control of the White House, and the other party in firm control of Congress (both houses): which version would you be more comfortable with?

Show your work.
I want Biden out most but best for country is Biden president pubs house/senate. That is even probably the best scenario period

I'll give my reasoning: I think Biden plus a GOP Congress is the best option, because the things Biden is most likely to do that are very damaging are things that mostly require at least the acquiescence of Congress, while the things Trump might do that are very damaging are more within the traditional purview of the office of the President without Congressional oversight.

Is there stipulation that they can't impeach the president? lol

If impeachment is allowed then I would change my vote.

Biden POTUS, GOP congress...

And per a previous post of mine...I think that likely sets up the 2030 election with better overall candidates than if Trump were to win. Although...in a very real possibility, it could mean Harris is the DNC candidate...Biden sure doesn't look like he's gonna make it another 4 years...all joking aside. And I think Harris would be a very bad President.

Unfortunately...I think we're headed towards the exact opposite of this. And I think its going to be really, really bad for the country... A vengeful Trump versus a congress that'll focus 100% on Trump...partly out of necessity, but mostly out of TDS. Literally nothing will get done...and I don't trust industry to pull us out of a really bad recession themselves...which is essentially what would have to happen.

If it has to be split I agree with your choice for different reasons. I think Trump is an old school Democrat. When he has a Democrat Congress he ends up being a huge spender.

If Biden has a GOP Congress he basically gets most of his things shut down.

Truly though I don't like either option.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Agreed, but my biggest reservation would be dealing with the Senate re: court appointments. McConnell blocked a shit ton of Obama nominees besides Garland. If the Supremes overturn Chevron, the courts are going to have to be fully staffed to ever hope to handle the resulting load of litigation.

Reactions: larsIU
I provisionally voted Trump in with Dems in Congress for two reasons:

1. Biden has shown he doesn't care about limitations on his power in the student loan forgiveness saga.

2. If Trump loses again, that means he can run again in 2028. I want to be over him sooner than that.

Agreed, but my biggest reservation would be dealing with the Senate re: court appointments. McConnell blocked a shit ton of Obama nominees besides Garland. If the Supremes overturn Chevron, the courts are going to have to be fully staffed to ever hope to handle the resulting load of litigation.
Chevron must be modified. I would be okay with a presumption in favor of administration interpretation but the deferral is crazy. Chevron never made a lick of sense. The courts need to do their job.

1. Biden has shown he doesn't care about limitations on his power in the student loan forgiveness saga.

2. If Trump loses again, that means he can run again in 2028. I want to be over him sooner than that.
Trump POTUS.

GOP control senate by a single seat.

Dems control house by a single seat.

Good poll. Either scenario helps avoid us going deeper in debt, so that's a plus. But I am strongly against Trump's anti-NATO tendencies and his pro-carbon fuel policies. Biden would basically be treading water, but it's what we need to do right now.

Biden is following rules that were set in place. He isn't overstepping anything regardless of what the stacked partisan Supreme Court says and their corrupt members, like Thomas and his yacht and rv bribes

There were quite a few people that followed the guidelines in order to have their loans forgiven only for the Trump administration to not process them and kept them making payments. Some of the forgiveness under Biden has been addressing that screw job.

Personally I would rather a president that fights for those that need the help over a president that is promising tax cuts for the wealthy or those that let companies take advantage of much larger ppp loans

Trump president. Dem controls of congress. Would keep him wounded and “in line”. He might damage overseas relations but I think our allies know to wait him out.

Plus, court appts. Also, those who get elected to Congress are far more likely to get reelected again and again and again. .

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I don't think there is any chance of a Trump + a Dem Congress. The Dems face a very challenging Senate map this year. If Trump wins the GOP is going to control the Senate as well.

A Biden+GOP Congress is plausible.

Trump president. Dem controls of congress. Would keep him wounded and “in line”. He might damage overseas relations but I think our allies know to wait him out.

Plus, court appts. Also, those who get elected to Congress are far more likely to get reelected again and again and again. .

I hate to say it, but this is the way to go. Nobody has been a bigger disaster in foreign policy and had more unrest under their recent tenure than Grandpa Joe.

200w.gif

Biden plus tight margins in Congress with the GOP in control of House and Senate. That should finally end Trump and strike a death blow to Trumpism. Might even lead to Republicans that aren’t jokes in Congress so we can get some progress back toward principled fiscal conservative domestic policies and international policies which aren’t so dumb.

Reactions: larsIU
Perhaps but you are living in hypotheticals. Trumps first term, while a disaster by many standards, wasn’t half as bad as Joe’s. He botched everything.
We’ll see. Kush is probably out though. I say that with no real knowledge but it feels like he should have better things to do than ruin the rest of his career.

So the choices are Joe and the Trojan horse uniparty pubs. Spend baby spend

Or DJT with the, “ And on day two, we file impeachment articles on Trump. The fact that he ran for president, against our wishes, is a treasonous act against us dems… I mean the democracy”.

What possibly could go right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT