ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

I agree. But I think that poster was just being snide. MP has been pretty darn successful at Purdue. Just looking at conference finishes:

1/T1 - 3 times
2/T2 - 4 times
3/T3 - 2 times
4/T4 - 1 time
5th-7th - 2 times
8+ - 3 times

So that's 15 seasons - with 10 finishes of 4th or better and just 3 finishes worse than 8th. In a conference as competitive as the B10, that's pretty remarkable. And most of his teams have hardly been loaded with blue chip recruits.

Yeah, it cracks me up that there are so many folks who put him down on here. All he does is kick our tail.... every year. Of course I'm hoping it will be different this year... again!

That's a lot of gas for basically zero substance. As is, you're only stated move would be to proclaim that mediocrity is totally unacceptable. Wow. Who knew that a simple Pattonesque but otherwise empty declaration was all that was needed?

You utterly fail to describe a single circumstance or example of how anything apart from your perception of how the attitude of fans is responsible for lowering the bar on Team performance (quite the reach) and results. That's it. Nothing about how the Coach, the staff, AD and/or administrative support for the program or anything else is sabotaging success.

You're entitled to your opinion but you have not related a single thing of substance, only your apprehension of the situtation, that in this case, is your notion of the 'culture' of the fanbase/alumni/admin, not the Program itself, apparently derived in entirety from comments on this forum.

Sorry Councilor, your dog won't hunt, but I did smile at the vacuous attempt to credit me with being part of the problem (just because I and others support the Team, it doesn't automatically follow that we're blissful about the results, in denial about the Program's status or sanguine with 'what is' representing the new normal). You need more than thin, baseless, non-sequitur and very subjective opinion to sell this, and apparently you don't have it. Not as if you weren't given a chance to provide something/anything other than your perception(s), so unless you've any actual evidence to support your view, you can save it for those like yourself that refer to Coach Miller as "little Archie". As is, you don't seem to be any more objective than you are respectful.
Your protestations notwithstanding, it’s pretty clear that you and many others are satisfied with where the program is and where it’s going. That’s fine to accept something well below the previous level of success, and you’re hardly alone (as Crazed correctly stated). Also understand fully why you’re reluctant to own this, as well as why it’s impossible for you to see the systemic breakdowns that have taken the program back to the pack, and then some, within the BiG and national landscape.

That's a lot of gas for basically zero substance. As is, you're only stated move would be to proclaim that mediocrity is totally unacceptable. Wow. Who knew that a simple Pattonesque but otherwise empty declaration was all that was needed?

Oh, but the declaration wouldn't be empty. Yeah, words without actions would even be worse than no words at all. That's not what I'm saying at all.

You utterly fail to describe a single circumstance or example of how anything apart from your perception of how the attitude of fans is responsible for lowering the bar on Team performance (quite the reach) and results.

I don't think it's only the fans. The fans are a problem, to be sure. Because we've acquiesced to it. But a fish rots from the head. And, after all, none of us are in any position to do anything about it but bellyache.

Nothing about how the Coach, the staff, AD and/or administrative support for the program or anything else is sabotaging success.

Of course I have. They tolerate it. There is absolutely no tangible indication that the PTBs at Indiana are the least bit dissatisfied with the results of the MBB team. About the only actions that have been taken have been parting ways with a couple assistants -- that and Archie's weak tea "man in the mirror" talk at Hubers.

I'm sure the conversations behind closed doors are different than the complacent public face they've put on. But the message is unmistakable. And the dearth of actions being taken to right the ship support that message well.

I did smile at the vacuous attempt to credit me with being part of the problem (just because I and others support the Team, it doesn't automatically follow that we're blissful about the results, in denial about the Program's status or sanguine with 'what is' representing the new normal).

Well I support the team, too -- which is precisely why I'm saying the program needs a wholesale paradigm shift that Archie probably isn't capable of executing. The division here is not between people who support the team and people who don't. The division is between people who are protective of the program's culture -- which I count you as being -- and people who think it needs more than just a new coach, it needs a fresh approach that is intolerant of mediocrity.

Not as if you weren't given a chance to provide something/anything other than your perception(s), so unless you've any actual evidence to support your view

Evidence? This isn't a study of marine plant life, rikki. The cultural tolerance of mediocrity is right there for anybody to see -- in pretty much every post-game presser, in quotes from the coaches, players, administrators. Who among them acknowledges the fact -- and it is a fact -- that they have stewardship over a proud athletic program and that the results of that stewardship haven't been satisfactory? One comment from Archie....and even that one stopped short of actually admitting what is painfully obvious.

Heck, even a neutral college bball observer (I forget which one, but it doesn't matter) was taunting him for his Sesame Street rant by saying he hadn't won enough at IU to earn the right to spout off like that. Well, duh.

you can save it for those like yourself that refer to Coach Miller as "little Archie". As is, you don't seem to be any more objective than you are respectful.

I can't remember a time I ever used that term or was anything but respectful -- to him and anybody else.

Being justifiably critical of somebody is not the same as being disrespectful. I respect Archie Miller. I just don't think he's done a very good job. And, more to the point, I don't think he's up to the task of fixing our program -- and not necessarily because he isn't a competent basketball coach.

This is a results business.

My point is that they haven’t had to buy out many coaches. But, then, I don’t think either of those programs have ever (in my memory, anyway) suffered from what I think is inflicting ours. They’ve never tolerated mediocrity the way we’ve come to do.

You keep saying this.

Who exactly is tolerating mediocrity?

You believe IU should cheat?

I just don't see it.

Ok I read your last post and it seems you equate your belief that CAM is not the right guy with tolerating mediocrity. I would agree if results don't improve materially this year and next and they keep him. the closest i have seen to tolerating mediocrity is when the IU BOT stopped glass from getting rid of Crean a year before he did. That won't happen again anytime soon based on conversations i had with couple of members.

Last edited:
Yeah, you’re obviously a lot higher on Archie than I am. I’ve concluded that Tom Crean is a better coach than he is - and I have a pretty low opinion of Crean as a coach.

Haven’t you noticed how little Archie’s teams have improved — both year-to-year and in-season? To me, that’s the single best gauge of a coach’s mettle. Wherever their team starts out, are they fixing mistakes, getting better flow on both sides of the floor, reducing TOs, finding their best sub patterns, etc. I don’t think any of Archie’s 3 IU teams were significantly better in March than they were in October. I’m not sure we’ll ever be very good so long as he’s coaching our team. He’s in over his head.

I can't remember a time I ever used that term or was anything but respectful -- to him and anybody else.

Evidence, not opinion. Contrary to WH perception, simply saying something doesn't make it true, not unlike you saying Crean is a better Coach than Miller. Guessing I wouldn't be alone in viewing such as not exactly attesting to your powers of deduction.

You can have the last word on this, but will say that I believe if you attended a couple of practices and/or actually spent some time with folk in the Program (rather than merely advancing a diagnosis on the basis of message board traffic) you might have a different view of what you term the "culture" surrounding IU basketball. Cheers.

Evidence, not opinion. Contrary to WH perception, simply saying something doesn't make it true, not unlike you saying Crean is a better Coach than Miller. Guessing I wouldn't be alone in viewing such as not exactly attesting to your powers of deduction.

You can have the last word on this, but will say that I believe if you attended a couple of practices and/or actually spent some time with folk in the Program (rather than merely advancing a diagnosis on the basis of message board traffic) you might have a different view of what you term the "culture" surrounding IU basketball. Cheers.
Haven’t you noticed how little Archie’s teams have improved — both year-to-year and in-season?

You might want to recognize that 'little' isn't capitalized. Read it again, slower, that's not what he meant.

I don't agree it's not a big deal. CAM has done great with in-state targets, but I want all the good ones. Trey's a little different with his academic prowess (not unlike Cody), but I think it puts a hole in our recruiting with the targets we have left... not a ton of highly ranked 4s who have the skills and ability to play out and stretch the floor. Plus, with not signing any frontcourt help in this past years class.... We will occassionally miss on IN targets (Montross) that are a great fit for us, but I'll never like it or get accustomed to it.
With open transfers and an extra year of eligibility it changes the dynamic of recruiting drastically. Getting a frontcourt player or two should be pretty easy, plus there's a chance Brunk is back..

you think he could move up?

Painter’s got a perfect gig at Purdue and has done tremendously well over the years. But let’s face it, Painter has never been put under the pressure to win and win now. He’s not a very good recruiter and instead relies on player development. He doesn’t run a system that is flattering to most type flight recruits and his track record of landing said recruits backs that up. He doesn’t face scrutiny from Purdue’s fan base and administration to go far in the tournament year in and year out nor does he feel the pressure to land the big time recruits.

Painter is someone who is perfect to run a stable, clean program that’s a model for consistency, but not sure he’s a guy I’d hire if I’m the AD of an upper tier basketball program.

Painter’s got a perfect gig at Purdue and has done tremendously well over the years. But let’s face it, Painter has never been put under the pressure to win and win now. He’s not a very good recruiter and instead relies on player development. He doesn’t run a system that is flattering to most type flight recruits and his track record of landing said recruits backs that up. He doesn’t face scrutiny from Purdue’s fan base and administration to go far in the tournament year in and year out nor does he feel the pressure to land the big time recruits.

Painter is someone who is perfect to run a stable, clean program that’s a model for consistency, but not sure he’s a guy I’d hire if I’m the AD of an upper tier basketball program.
So how many of those upper tier programs haven’t been mentioned with the FBI investigation into the shoe money?

you think he could move up?

There's a difference between moving up and only having MAC/SEC offers. Do I think a blueblood would go after him? Probably not but he’d have significant P5 interest from multiple conferences. ACC, Pac-12, SEC, Big East, you name it.

So how many of those upper tier programs haven’t been mentioned with the FBI investigation into the shoe money?

I’m not sure how or why that’s relevant to what I said? Just over the years I haven’t ever heard Painter’s name really linked with any kind of job opening. You’d think a guy that’s gets as much praise as Painter would surely have at least been coveted by now? It’s not like he’s expensive or has a huge buyout over his head.

There's a difference between moving up and only having MAC/SEC offers. Do I think a blueblood would go after him? Probably not but he’d have significant P5 interest from multiple conferences. ACC, Pac-12, SEC, Big East, you name it.

By who though? There’s been several regional jobs that have opened in the last few years that I would consider to be as good or better than the Purdue job and haven’t once ever heard his name considered. Ohio State, Michigan, and Louisville have all been open in the last 3-4 years. Illinois has been open a few times these last several years. Bigger jobs like UCLA, Texas, Maryland have all been open in the last 10 years. Only school I’ve seen or heard connected to Painter is Mizzou right as he was leveraging for a pay raise back in 2012.

Reactions: kkott
I’m not sure how or why that’s relevant to what I said? Just over the years I haven’t ever heard Painter’s name really linked with any kind of job opening. You’d think a guy that’s gets as much praise as Painter would surely have at least been coveted by now? It’s not like he’s expensive or has a huge buyout over his head.
Missouri.

Sorry didn't see the above post.

Haven’t you noticed how little Archie’s teams have improved — both year-to-year and in-season?

You might want to recognize that 'little' isn't capitalized. Read it again, slower, that's not what he meant.

You're right, I was mistaken. I hereby apologize to crazed hoosier 2 (Sorry Hoo) and withdraw that aspect of my condemnation. But only that one - arguing on the merits means identifying some and mere opinions just don't count.

Reactions: Brockway
By who though? There’s been several regional jobs that have opened in the last few years that I would consider to be as good or better than the Purdue job and haven’t once ever heard his name considered. Ohio State, Michigan, and Louisville have all been open in the last 3-4 years. Illinois has been open a few times these last several years. Bigger jobs like UCLA, Texas, Maryland have all been open in the last 10 years. Only school I’ve seen or heard connected to Painter is Mizzou right as he was leveraging for a pay raise back in 2012.

I’m guessing those schools knew he had a good situation at his alma mater and didn’t waste their time. If Purdue let him go for some reason (which won’t happen), he’d have plenty of solid gigs to choose from.

Hard to believe any AD would consider him in view of his courtside demeanor. JMO.

You're right, I was mistaken. I hereby apologize to crazed hoosier 2 (Sorry Hoo) and withdraw that aspect of my condemnation. But only that one - arguing on the merits means identifying some and mere opinions just don't count.
You missed on the entirety of your response to Crazed, though. You and others who accept mediocrity are part of the problem bit, in fairness, the problem only exists for those of us who believe the standards should be higher.
Hard to believe any AD would consider him in view of his courtside demeanor. JMO.
It’s amazing how little Matt resembles that characterization.

Reactions: Zyman1986

You clearly have not been on the Black and Gold site to read all the commentary from the Fire Painter crowd!!

You didn't answer my question. What school would put up with sustained mediocrity through years 8-11 like Purdue did with Painter.

I think an AD who knew the coach might not have been the problem. Sometimes players have to take some blame. Also I think CMP accepted tons if not all the blame and realized he could only recruit certain types of players. I think since those three bad years Purdue has been pretty good.

Losers of 7 in a row to Purdue?

Are you and Helm's going to hang another participation banner?
Indiana basketball fans are the equivalent of Nebraska Football fans...Have not been relevant in a long time and keep pointing to past accomplishments. Put on your clown pants, 80's IU shirt and the ND football jacket while you are at it.

Indiana basketball fans are the equivalent of Nebraska Football fans...Have not been relevant in a long time and keep pointing to past accomplishments. Put on your clown pants, 80's IU shirt and the ND football jacket while you are at it.

Gotta love newbie PUke trolls

Adorable...dumb as shit...but adorable.

I’m guessing those schools knew he had a good situation at his alma mater and didn’t waste their time. If Purdue let him go for some reason (which won’t happen), he’d have plenty of solid gigs to choose from.

Speaking of accepting mediocrity.

Beat Iu several time during a rebuild and hang onto that puppy fo-eva

We each have our goals and expectations...don't we.

I doubt Bobinski would be overruled by his own Trustees and be forced to fire him when it was the furthest thing from his mind, though.

Your wit is Helm's participation level at best.. Do you have something better, wittier, less childlike and cliche?

Wow, you got us there. Let's say you are right and we have not been relevant since the 80's. We will forget about being in the championship game in 2002 or being #1 for a large part of the year in what 2013?

Forget all that, IMO, it is better to be relevant 30+ years ago, than to be like PU and NEVER been relevant.

So, toot, toot, boiler up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT