ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

Moye.

The source of the clap/chant cadence now used everywhere

I think a lot of people here are confusing "culture" with "identity"

Culture is purely internal to an organization and none of us here have insight into that at IU or PU. Burt we can guess...right?

Identity is the internal being that presents externally and can be driven by culture. Only insiders know the culture of the businesses we run but many know our identity.
Yes Moye...getting old I guess. Mentally tough kid that played bigger than he was.

I agree. But I think that poster was just being snide. MP has been pretty darn successful at Purdue. Just looking at conference finishes:

1/T1 - 3 times
2/T2 - 4 times
3/T3 - 2 times
4/T4 - 1 time
5th-7th - 2 times
8+ - 3 times

So that's 15 seasons - with 10 finishes of 4th or better and just 3 finishes worse than 8th. In a conference as competitive as the B10, that's pretty remarkable. And most of his teams have hardly been loaded with blue chip recruits.
I'm still stuck on someone strong arming someone or group that has performed as poorly as mentioned unless it wasn't strong armed and the group understood what was at stake. When I think of strong arming something I consider that person having leverage...and how do you have leverage if you don't have something of worth? This Trey thing is making us all dizzy. ;)

Btown is picturesque with lots of gardens, wooded walkways, water etc....a very natural setting. WLaf is cold and more barren feeling. How in the wide world of sports do you label that as a "smaller campus vibe"??

You know about as much about the Purdue campus as I know about Wuhan!

Reactions: Birnk403
You know about as much about the Purdue campus as I know about Wuhan!

So you have been to Wuhan no less than 100 times, have worked and derived tens of thousands of consulting and project fees and have had a child live there for four years? You have attended dozens of sporting events there both inside and outside? You have worked out in their citizen fitness center, played their golf course and attended their christmas concert?

You have eaten their awful namesake burger with peanut butter in a filthy diner and dined on the pizza they seem to be proud of? You have scratched you head wondering what the fuss is about some lousy bar? You have laughed at their falsely labeled oversized band instrument and inability to grow grass despite being a farming community? You have watched their citizens vomit in the streets at seven in the morning while dressed as a banana? You have listened to citizens old and young embarrass themselves by chanting "Shanghai Sucks" at all social gatherings large and small?

I guess you do know Wuhan as well as i know WLaffy.

With open transfers and an extra year of eligibility it changes the dynamic of recruiting drastically. Getting a frontcourt player or two should be pretty easy, plus there's a chance Brunk is back..
This, with the way Archie has been recruiting and the other guys that he's going after right now, this is FAR from a make or break recruit.

In fact if it's not IU then it's best for both parties to finally get the recruitment out of the way to move on to other prospects.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Yes Moye...getting old I guess. Mentally tough kid that played bigger than he was.

Ajene is one of my top 5 all time players for the reasons you mention and more. What he has done since graduating only cements that feeling. He was rostered at 6'3" IIRC and standing next to him on the court (I am 6'1") and at events he was maybe 6' 2"...maybe.

Reactions: tjreese
With open transfers and an extra year of eligibility it changes the dynamic of recruiting drastically. Getting a frontcourt player or two should be pretty easy, plus there's a chance Brunk is back..

It's not just about getting bodies. I think it's important for IU to get the best in the state when we go after them. Watching Mich St, UM, OSU, etc... poach our players has been difficult. I know we won't get every single guy we go after, but that doesn't keep me from hoping. I think it's important for top IN players to see that many/most of the past top IN players that iu has recruited have gone there. When we start showing the results we should have, then we'll be in the position where they WANT to come here. That's where I want to be, and imo opinion it doesn't help that cause as much getting a grad transfer etc... from elsewhere.

It's not just about getting bodies. I think it's important for IU to get the best in the state when we go after them. Watching Mich St, UM, OSU, etc... poach our players has been difficult. I know we won't get every single guy we go after, but that doesn't keep me from hoping. I think it's important for top IN players to see that many/most of the past top IN players that iu has recruited has gone there. When we start showing the results we should have, then we'll be in the position where they WANT to come here. That's where I want to be, and imo opinion it doesn't help that cause as much getting a grad transfer etc... from elsewhere.
IU has landed 4? straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs. Missing on one wouldn't be the end of the world, especially when we are favored for guys like Muhammad.

Ultimately as long as we get good players I don't care where they're from.

This, with the way Archie has been recruiting and the other guys that he's going after right now, this is FAR from a make or break recruit.

In fact if it's not IU then it's best for both parties to finally get the recruitment out of the way to move on to other prospects.

IU would benefit from the recruit but this is a much bigger deal for PU than it is IU and it shows with all of the hand-wringing from them these days. Beating IU for a recruit is the pinnacle.

IU has landed 4? straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs. Missing on one wouldn't be the end of the world, especially when we are favored for guys like Muhammad.

No one is threatening IU's in-state dominance when it comes to recruiting any time soon.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
IU would benefit from the recruit but this is a much bigger deal for PU than it is IU and it shows with all of the hand-wringing from them these days. Beating IU for a recruit is the pinnacle.
In my mind Virginia is a bigger threat than Purdue, I could be wrong but I just don't seen him going to Purdue.

I don't buy the Purdue talk from the trolls. Top recruits from Southern Indiana NEVER go to Purdue and there's many reasons for that.

In my mind Virginia is a bigger threat than Purdue, I could be wrong but I just don't seen him going to Purdue.

I don't buy the Purdue talk from the trolls. Top recruits from Southern Indiana NEVER go to Purdue and there's many reasons for that.

IU will never get them all. Too many have gone out of state over the last decade but that seems to be shoring up. Butler and PU will always get one here or there and i would rather see them stay in state if IU is not the right fit.

Can't knock UVA, it is a good program and good school.

Not to get on-topic but this is trending pretty poorly for Purdue the last half-day or so.
According to who? Purdue is still in a great position. Nothing has changed aside from the quasi-meltdown the IU Fans and reporters have had. Rabby has nothing concrete to confirm Kaufman to IU. Neither does Snow or Peegs. They have no idea. They’ve admitted as much on their board.

The people who would know. And that's not accurate on Rabby. Those who had access to chat last night and who speak to him regularly. He's let on a little more. You can say Purdue is in great position because that's what you want. And maybe it's true? But they aren't in excellent position. "Nothing has changed" is not how the most in people are saying it.
Sorry it won't go your way. You don't have to take it personal. It's just recruiting.

No one is threatening IU's in-state dominance when it comes to recruiting any time soon.
Disagree with this.... we are threatening it. CAM has done a great job with in-state recruits, but ultimately we have to WIN to maintain dominance, which we won't have long term if we don't win bigger in conference and nationally. And, I'm not excited about a 7th-8th place B10 finish and slipping into the NCAA because the conference was strong. That's not the IU program we should have. That was acceptable last year, but this team needs to overachieve, a bit imo, and the good news is, I do think that's possible. If we'd had the recruiting results we've had with CAM and a B10 title and deep (E8 run or better) tourney run, I think Trey's recruitment would be moot. If we don't start winning at a national level, we threaten our in-state dominance. We need to get back to where the best players WANT to come to IU, and we have a ways to go to get there, and it starts with winning bigger. Hope we see that this year, I think we have that kind of roster, and we've proven there's no one in the conference we can't compete with... well, except PU (yes, I'm kidding... sort of).

You have watched their citizens vomit in the streets at seven in the morning while dressed as a banana?

4k0b8z.jpg

Reactions: kkott

Mr. Basketball isn’t everything. Leal wasn’t even the best player in the state for his class.

And how’s that working out for you guys? When will Archie get his first tournament win?
Archie has been to the elite 8, he's already got tourney wins.

IU would've been in the tournament last year if there was one, but hopefully this year as we look to have a good team.

Painter is a very good coach for Purdue but the expectations are different here.

Man, I wish you were right about that. But you're not. I don't want to get all going again on it. As Karen Knight famously said, the horse is dead...get off it. But this isn't right.

Now that I agree with.

It's not hard to understand why Archie has put such a premium on in-state recruits. How many fantastic players in the past 20 years or so have left the state? We all know the list.

But the objective of recruiting Indiana kids should not be higher on the priority list than the objective of putting together the best roster to fit our schemes and rotations. If a player who best meets that need comes from elsewhere, and an in-state kid gets bumped from the list because of it, so be it.

I kind of like the way Mark Cuban put it when he learned that the Mavericks were looking at Yogi and a couple other prospects for a short-term contract: pick the best one...but the tie goes to the IU kid.

Reactions: kkott
And how’s that working out for you guys? When will Archie get his first tournament win?

Yeah, easy to take that pot shot since covid blew things up, but it well may have been last year. The painful reality for PU fans is that IU was in last year and you were out, even with you sweeping us again... so you have that to hang your hat on, if that makes you feel better... and it obviously does. Congrats?

Archie has been to the elite 8, he's already got tourney wins.

IU would've been in the tournament last year if there was one, but hopefully this year as we look to have a good team.

Based on what he’s done at IU, that run at Dayton is starting to look like a fluke.

ADVERTISEMENT