ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

Man, I wish you were right about that. But you're not. I don't want to get all going again on it. As Karen Knight famously said, the horse is dead get off of it.
Then why isn't Crean still here? He won conference titles and was pretty consistently in the sweet 16.

He was fired and when Archie was hired our ad claimed that the expectations here was to win national championships. What am I missing?

Based on what he’s done at IU, that run at Dayton is starting to look like a fluke.
He's been at IU for 3 years and he would've been in the tourney last year if it wasn't for Covid. Some of the best coaches of all time took that long or longer to get their programs going.

We'll see what happens this year as it's Archie's most important year so far.

Reactions: kkott
Then why isn't Crean still here? He won conference titles and was pretty consistently in the sweet 16.

He was fired and when Archie was hired our ad claimed that the expectations here was to win national championships. What am I missing?

You are missing the agenda being shoved at you. Crean was fired and frankly would have been gone a year earlier if Glass had his way.

Expectations are and always have been through the roof in Btown and with alumni around the globe.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
He's been at IU for 3 years and he would've been in the tourney last year if it wasn't for Covid. Some of the best coaches of all time took that long or longer to get their programs going.

And they were playing very well entering the BTT. This upsets some folks as it usually does.

Disagree with this.... we are threatening it. CAM has done a great job with in-state recruits, but ultimately we have to WIN to maintain dominance, which we won't have long term if we don't win bigger in conference and nationally. And, I'm not excited about a 7th-8th place B10 finish and slipping into the NCAA because the conference was strong. That's not the IU program we should have. That was acceptable last year, but this team needs to overachieve, a bit imo, and the good news is, I do think that's possible. If we'd had the recruiting results we've had with CAM and a B10 title and deep (E8 run or better) tourney run, I think Trey's recruitment would be moot. If we don't start winning at a national level, we threaten our in-state dominance. We need to get back to where the best players WANT to come to IU, and we have a ways to go to get there, and it starts with winning bigger. Hope we see that this year, I think we have that kind of roster, and we've proven there's no one in the conference we can't compete with... well, except PU (yes, I'm kidding... sort of).

I see your point for sure and you aren't wrong...but that is why I said "any time soon". If this level of performance were to continue for a few more seasons than yes...Butler, ND and PU would threaten IU's position.

I see your point for sure and you aren't wrong...but that is why I said "any time soon". If this level of performance were to continue for a few more seasons than yes...Butler, ND and PU would threaten IU's position.
Depending on what happens Friday, that timeline could swing either way. Just win Baby!

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

Crean was fired because the people above Glass had seen enough to know he wasn’t the right guy (that was evident several years earlier, but Fred loved him and wanted him retained). FG was top sided. Thankfully. But none of that is evidence that IU has higher expectations. We say that but rarely live it.

Based on what he’s done at IU, that run at Dayton is starting to look like a fluke.

Fluke? No.

I'd be inclined to agree with you had Dayton disappeared after their Elite 8 run but in the next 3 years Archie had the Flyers in the tournament every year as an at-large. For a mid-major, that is impressive any way you slice it.

Reactions: kkott
This was just posted a few minutes ago from the Carolina site FWIW.

"The most likely candidate to be the next Tar Heel is probably
Trey Kaufman. UNC is in his top five along with Indiana, Indiana State, Purdue and Virginia. However, the most likely discussed scenario is that he will decide between the Tar Heels and the Hoosiers. Although he wasn't certain the last time we spoke, many feel that he will come off the board in the 2020 calendar year. This one is far from a done deal for Williams and company, but he does look like one of the top priorities as well as being one of the very next ones to wind down his recruitment. "

But we came limping onto the BTT, going 5-5 in our last 10 games and (other than beating Iowa), we feasted on the teams below us. It wasn’t like we were setting the world on fire.

But we came limping onto the BTT, going 5-5 in our last 10 games and (other than beating Iowa), we feasted on the teams below us. It wasn’t like we were setting the world on fire.
We did fine based on any (reasonable) expectations. This year the expectations are higher.

Trey Kaufman. UNC is in his top five along with Indiana, Indiana State, Purdue and Virginia. However, the most likely discussed scenario is that he will decide between the Tar Heels and the Hoosiers. Although he wasn't certain the last time we spoke, many feel that he will come off the board in the 2020 calendar year. This one is far from a done deal for Williams and company, but he does look like one of the top priorities as well as being one of the very next ones to wind down his recruitment. "

Sounds like they haven't done their research, but if they have I could definitely see him going to North Carolina before Purdue.

Going to be an interesting few days.

Crean was fired because the people above Glass had seen enough to know he wasn’t the right guy (that was evident several years earlier, but Fred loved him and wanted him retained). FG was top sided. Thankfully. But none of that is evidence that IU has higher expectations. We say that but rarely live it.
You literally just described IU having high expectations. The fact that people "above Glass" wanted Crean fired because they knew he wasn't the guy to win a championship just further proves my point.

The expectations are VERY high here.

We did fine based on any (reasonable) expectations. This year the expectations are higher.
And I think that’s where some of us diverge from the group. Characterizing 5-5 as “fine” and an example of “reasonable expectations” shows how far the standards have fallen for the program.

You literally just described IU having high expectations. The fact that people "above Glass" wanted Crean fired because they knew he wasn't the guy to win a championship just further proves my point.

The expectations are VERY high here.
Many of them allowed him to stay well beyond his expiration date, and Glass wanted him to stay no matter what.

And I think that’s where some of us diverge from the group. Characterizing 5-5 as “fine” and an example of “reasonable expectations” shows how far the standards have fallen for the program.
It was year 3 and he made the tournament. Anyone with common sense knows it takes a few years to build a championship level program.

Expecting a coach to compete for a championship in year 1 or 2 is ridiculous for any program. Especially when you're stuck with the roster Archie started with.

Many of them allowed him to stay well beyond his expiration date, and Glass wanted him to stay no matter what.
Yet the boosters wanted him gone and Glass obliged. The boosters apparently have high expectations, seriously it's not rocket science.

The fact that people "above Glass" wanted Crean fired because they knew he wasn't the guy to win a championship just further proves my point.

This isn't remotely accurate. Ordy (now on username #17) is just stalking and trolling me again and making up BS.

The fact is that Glass wanted to fire Crean at least one year earlier but was thwarted by the BOT. Finally one well-known BOT member stepped in and got what Glass and the rest of us wanted. I know this directly.

It was year 3 and he made the tournament. Anyone with common sense knows it takes a few years to build a program.

Expecting a coach to compete for a championship in year 1 or 2 is ridiculous for any program. Especially when you're stuck with the roster Archie started with.
No one expected us to compete for a championship in years 1 or 2. Unfortunately, we competed for 10th In the BiG. At least QB intervened and took things out of Glass’s hands.

It was year 3 and he made the tournament. Anyone with common sense knows it takes a few years to build a championship level program.

They were seeming to hit their stride at the right time. Would have loved to see what they could have done in the BTT and NCAA. This upsets some people as you would expect it to. PU has beaten up IU of late and some of them are desperately afraid this is coming to a screeching halt. Thus the BS and fake IU fan personnas.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Wow, that's about as cleverly worded positive puff piece as I've seen in awhile. The good news is that this could have been written by any beat writer for UNC, UVA or PU and all would have said "the most likely discussed scenario is that he will decide between (insert other school here) and the Hoosiers." So at least we're recognized as the top contender by all the others... let's just hope Trey closes the deal Friday!

Triple XXX is good and the Purvis burger isn't the best thing on their menu.

It is filthy and the food sucks (not many good options in Laffy) but I will give them this...the Root beer is very good. I have purchased a lot of it,,,but at a shop in Zville.

Reactions: sigmaboiler

Local radio station in Jeffersonville (north of Louisville). That sounds good.

Hmmmm
Often news that is intended to get buried is dropped at 6:00 PM (late rush hour) on a Friday as the weekend starts. Referred to as "Friday News Dump"

If my son were announcing for a school not named IU I would encourage him to do it at 6:00 PM on a Friday.

Reactions: tjreese
Yet the boosters wanted him gone and Glass obliged. The boosters apparently have high expectations, seriously it's not rocket science.
Glass did as he was told. That’s been known since it happened. And, while some boosters have high expectations, quite a few others believe 5-5 to close the year is an example of playing very well. Standards matter, and most people have lowered them. The evidence is everywhere, if you’re willing to be objective about it.

Mr. Basketball isn’t everything. Leal wasn’t even the best player in the state for his class.
Cute. More word games. Ivey sounds like a nice player, but it's arguable if he'll be the best player "for his class" as it could easily be Leal or Galloway. Of course the reality is that IU still ended up with the highest rated incoming recruit from the State again this year, the only 5 star and the top class. But, keep up your word games, they are fun!

Glass did as he was told. That’s been known since it happened. And, while some boosters have high expectations, quite a few others believe 5-5 to close the year is an example of playing very well. Standards matter, and most people have lowered them. The evidence is everywhere, if you’re willing to be objective about it.
Agree to disagree

Hmmmm
Often news that is intended to get buried is dropped at 6:00 PM (late rush hour) on a Friday as the weekend starts. Referred to as "Friday News Dump"

If my son were announcing for a school not named IU I would encourage him to do it at 6:00 PM on a Friday.

But would you intentionally do it on a radio station in Southern IN? That's not quite how you bury this news in this circumstance. To me, that seems like a good indicator for IU, and I don't pretend to have any knowledge of his recruitment, just human nature.

You are missing the agenda being shoved at you. Crean was fired and frankly would have been gone a year earlier if Glass had his way.

Expectations are and always have been through the roof in Btown and with alumni around the globe.
It’s just a shame when expectations don’t intersect with reality. All expectations are based on results from 20 years ago, and with the exception of 2002, things were not that great during the 10 years prior. I would enjoy seeing the Hoosiers be routinely in the upper echelon, but they must make that jump soon because the memory of great teams is fading with each passing year.

Hmmmm

Fair point. Had I noted the time would have thought the same since it's the classic formula for dodging local newspaper and broadcast coverage save for well after the fact. Could be the family wants to minimize any hoopla but can't say it's very encouraging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT