ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious about PU situation

If it's more balanced why is our recruiting classes better
If you aren't improving your OL and DL at the same level as your skilled positions, it doesn't matter what your class is rated. Good college lineman are like gold. We had Cronk go out for the season and had a freshman step in and do a good job against MSU. I hope we keep the focus on the lines.

If it's more balanced why is our recruiting classes better

I shouldn't respond to stupid questions/comments like this...

If by "better" you mean higher ranked, that is simple. Top end kids like the WR corps that PU has brought in skew that class up. Balance comes with needs and value of the mid-lower end. Does it all bake into the math? Yes, but a single player can skew things and one injury clears that out which is an unfortunate reality for you guys at the moment.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I shouldn't respond to stupid questions/comments like this...

If by "better" you mean higher ranked, that is simple. Top end kids like the WR corps that PU has brought in skew that class up. Balance comes with needs and value of the mid-lower end. Does it all bake into the math? Yes, but a single player can skew things and one injury clears that out which is an unfortunate reality for you guys at the moment.

Assuming Carr commits in 2 hours, only 1 of the top 6 rated commitments will be WR’s. 4-star RB, 4-star QB, 4-star safety, 4-star d-end, and high 3-star o-lineman round out the top 6. Purdue has pretty good balance across the board. With Carr on board, this class will be close to Top 25.

If anything, IU’s class is skewed because of Rashawn Williams. There’s a substantial drop-off between him and Jalen Williams. IU’s second best commitment would be Purdue’s 8th best.

Last edited:
Assuming Carr commits in 2 hours, only 1 of the top 6 rated commitments will be WR’s. 4-star RB, 4-star QB, 4-star safety, 4-star d-end, and high 3-star o-lineman round out the top 6. Purdue has pretty good balance across the board. With Carr on board, this class will be close to Top 25.

If anything, IU’s class is skewed because of Rashawn Williams. There’s a substantial drop-off between him and Jalen Williams. IU’s second best commitment would be Purdue’s 8th best.

That may be true, my comments reflect closed signed classes. You guys should have a significantly better class than we do this time around. The previous two classes worked well for each program. Allen closed two of the top three classes in IU history. You guys have more needs.

I don’t think Brohm is terrible by any means, but the best choice for him would have been Louisville. He may never get another chance to take that job. It’s easier to recruit there. He has so much support there. He’d get a longer leash. Easier schedule. Better facilities. Better funding. Better fanbase. How anyone would turn down Louisville for Purdue, let alone an Alum, has me befuddled.

More money and lower expectations. Works for him.

I don’t think Brohm is terrible by any means, but the best choice for him would have been Louisville. He may never get another chance to take that job. It’s easier to recruit there. He has so much support there. He’d get a longer leash. Easier schedule. Better facilities. Better funding. Better fanbase. How anyone would turn down Louisville for Purdue, let alone an Alum, has me befuddled.
Better facilities, I don't think so.

You guys have more needs.
This is so true, it's sad. You're also right about class imbalance. He should have gone after grad transfer OL one more year like his first 2. I think he banked on one, didn't happen, and got screwed. His fault.

However, I think the 2020 class is much more balanced than the previous two.

Even though you were dissatisfied with Wilson's OL recruiting and development, I would have taken his OL over what Hazell left 1000 times out of ten. Then, maybe Cronk would at least have been offered.

Definitely a big get for Purdue with Carr. You guys are definitely building. Allen had had one very good class and one decent one that wasn’t quite at the level of Wilson’s beat classes, but he’ll need to hang onto to Williams and really make some headway with the current one. If IU could make a bowl game, that could help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT