ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson should be on the hot seat next year.

I guess it's all about what your expectations are. do you want to be Iowa or Duke? original post still is valid. if we have a great season and Ware and Mgambo play to everyone's expectations, Woodson will have us in great shape going forward. recruiting wise and using the portal, if not things can go south quickly. time will tell.
You’ll never live it down. It was a dumb post.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
he just lost 3 players that were rated higher out of high school than most of the starters in the final 4, everyone can bitch and moan about the 3 of thems short comings which is fine., all 3 sat behind more talented players the last 2 or 3 years in Jordans case, this should have been the time for them to step up with all kinds of playing time available.

what we consider big time programs may lose 3 or 4 guys to the portal but 90 percent of those players averaged about 2 points a game and were clearly over their heads, Duncomb is the only one that may fit that description, but he was basically sick or injured the whole time he was here, so who knows about him

If we don't make the tournament next year Woodson needs to go, a 12 and 20 season next year will basically dry up recruiting for him. hope he proves me wrong but as a betting man I'd put us making the tournament next year at about 20 percent.

and there are way too many advantages at IU to accept a 500 record in the big 10 and making the tournament as a successful season. most of you do but I don't. time will tell maybe he kills it in the portal, and we make a sweet 16 next year. I would be shocked if that happens and will gladly admit I was wrong

this year was a major disappointment, and I'm not talking about the tournament. That happens it's a crap shoot. Kansas has lost as a 1 seed 5 times in the last 20 years without making the sweet 16, the thing is they are a 1 or 2 seed every year. With the experience we had this year and the depth starting the season 10 double digit losses should be unacceptable

we beat Purdue twice. who really gives a shit? that would be something Purdue would brag about 30 years ago while we were winning the big 10 every year Mich st looked like shit when we beat them in early January, they very easily could be in the the final 4 with one of Izzo's weakest rosters in years , they are adding 2 McDonalds aa's

someone tell me what we have to be excited about, Ball States center 2 recruits rated in the 120s. ?
this guy seems like he knew what he was talking about last march, most everyone seemed to disagree, and some ridiculed him

this guy seems like he knew what he was talking about last march, most everyone seemed to disagree, and some ridiculed him
You were ahead of the curve, and took a lot of abuse. There were always reasons to be concerned. What's especially striking were comments about the struggles of Bates, Geronimo, Gunn, and Banks. Bates & Geronimo counted on last year--nothing. Gunn & Banks counted on this year--nothing. X' issues. Ware being passive and not starting on a mediocre team. MM not scoring in the McDonald's game. Someone commented on "chemistry issues" with last year's team. Many of us expected Trey's 3 pt % to drop with more volume...but 18%? What a mess.

Reactions: Lucy01
You were ahead of the curve, and took a lot of abuse. There were always reasons to be concerned. What's especially striking were comments about the struggles of Bates, Geronimo, Gunn, and Banks. Bates & Geronimo counted on last year--nothing. Gunn & Banks counted on this year--nothing. X' issues. Ware being passive and not starting on a mediocre team. MM not scoring in the McDonald's game. Someone commented on "chemistry issues" with last year's team. Many of us expected Trey's 3 pt % to drop with more volume...but 18%? What a mess.
I think Ware has actually played pretty well this year he just needs to get stronger. he should have a nice future in the NBA. MM was simply overrated just not a standout athlete. can't blame Woody at all for recruiting would have been insane not to, he needs to stay in college earn NIL and get a degree.

Last edited:

Interesting to look back at some of our portal transfer targets and play the what-if game....

The guys I recall us looking at the most, in order of rank by 247, were

--Ware; Knecht; Love; Shedrick (VA); Timberlake; Battle; Ledlum (Harvard)

In terms of productivity, Knecht, Ware/Love (or Love/Ware).............then Battle........../then Shedrick.......with Timberlake & Ledlum bringing up the rear.

Knecht is averaging 27.5 pts & 6.5 rebounds per every 40M, and shooting 40% on 3s. He was as advertised.

Love was a controversial guy. I'd say it was about 50-50 on the board about him. Per every 40M played he's averaging 23.3 pts, 6.2 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 2.3 TOs, and has shot 52% on 2s, 35% on 3s, and 86% on FTs.

Battle's overall #s are pretty close to MM's, but he's shot better---49% to 45% on 2s; 44% to 32% on 3s; 96% to 83% on FTs.. I don't think either is much of a defender, but Battle is probably better right now.

Shedrick's a pretty nice player who plays about 18M a game and gives you 8 pts and 3 rebs while shooting high %s. He's obviously not a big rebounder, so I don't think he would have been an answer for us.

Timberlake and Ledlum have been disappointing. Each shoots about 27% on 3s this year (down 10% for Tinberlake).. Ledlum gets some rebounds. Although neither of them would habe been 'answers' for us, they are still somewhat better than Gunn & Banks, respectively.

I think Ware has actually played pretty well this year he just needs to get stronger. he should have a nice future in the NBA. MM was simply overrated just not a standout athlete. can't blame Woody at all for recruiting would have been insane not to, he needs to stay in college earn NIL and get a degree.

Ware has been a nice player for us, if not something of an enigma personality wise. His impact here reminds me of Noah Vonleh. Both helped us win some games in seasons that went nowhere for us. Both would have been great additions for teams that were really looking 'to get over the hump'. 10 years from now no IU fan will be looking back on Ware's time here with great fondness.

I post above about MM and Jamison Battle. I think as a 1 year player Battle would have been a little better for us. If we get a 2nd year with MM, it's a different story.

not trolling lucy, telling you what I think, are you excited about the future of this program? a year ago, I was, today I'm not, hope the hell I'm wrong.
Ridiculous and anyone who agrees with woodson having another year is ridiculous as well.
Whether woodson makes the tournamemt or not, woodsons true colors have already been shown.
Woodson isnt a good coach.
Keeping him merely if he made tournament wont change things, just prolongs the inevitable.
He has a more than reasonably talented team and cant get it done.
I dont mind woodson as a person, seems like a nice guy, is iu alum, played for knight, etc etc.
But he needs to move on immediately.
Its mind boggling ohio st can fire their high profiled coach before reg season is even over, but Iu cant even fire even after the season is completely over.

EDIT: Just realized this thread was pulled from the dead, my thoughts tho still stand

Ridiculous and anyone who agrees with woodson having another year is ridiculous as well.
Whether woodson makes the tournamemt or not, woodsons true colors have already been shown.
Woodson isnt a good coach.
Keeping him merely if he made tournament wont change things, just prolongs the inevitable.
He has a more than reasonably talented team and cant get it done.
I dont mind woodson as a person, seems like a nice guy, is iu alum, played for knight, etc etc.
But he needs to move on immediately.
Its mind boggling ohio st can fire their high profiled coach before reg season is even over, but Iu cant even fire even after the season is completely over.

EDIT: Just realized this thread was pulled from the dead, my thoughts tho still stand
What tournament?

Reactions: Lucy01
Total rebuild? Wouldn’t go anywhere close to that far. If the roster we have today is the roster we start the year with…yes making the tournament may be a tall order unless one or two guys step up in a huge way.

There’s 2, possibly 3 high impact players who have yet to join the roster.
I agree that there is "help" coming but we currently have 3 5* in the starting lineup that cannot get it done. We have two guys with motors that just don't have the physical skills to get it done.

Mess

he just lost 3 players that were rated higher out of high school than most of the starters in the final 4, everyone can bitch and moan about the 3 of thems short comings which is fine., all 3 sat behind more talented players the last 2 or 3 years in Jordans case, this should have been the time for them to step up with all kinds of playing time available.

what we consider big time programs may lose 3 or 4 guys to the portal but 90 percent of those players averaged about 2 points a game and were clearly over their heads, Duncomb is the only one that may fit that description, but he was basically sick or injured the whole time he was here, so who knows about him

If we don't make the tournament next year Woodson needs to go, a 12 and 20 season next year will basically dry up recruiting for him. hope he proves me wrong but as a betting man I'd put us making the tournament next year at about 20 percent.

and there are way too many advantages at IU to accept a 500 record in the big 10 and making the tournament as a successful season. most of you do but I don't. time will tell maybe he kills it in the portal, and we make a sweet 16 next year. I would be shocked if that happens and will gladly admit I was wrong

this year was a major disappointment, and I'm not talking about the tournament. That happens it's a crap shoot. Kansas has lost as a 1 seed 5 times in the last 20 years without making the sweet 16, the thing is they are a 1 or 2 seed every year. With the experience we had this year and the depth starting the season 10 double digit losses should be unacceptable

we beat Purdue twice. who really gives a shit? that would be something Purdue would brag about 30 years ago while we were winning the big 10 every year Mich st looked like shit when we beat them in early January, they very easily could be in the the final 4 with one of Izzo's weakest rosters in years , they are adding 2 McDonalds aa's

someone tell me what we have to be excited about, Ball States center 2 recruits rated in the 120s. ?
I remember seeing this a year ago and not believing it. Good insight and I guess most of us were wrong. His lack of using that last scholarship over the summer and pinning his hopes on X was a big tell that he had no real plan on how to move on from TJD and JHS. I remember many saying that he’ll need to show his coaching chops in order to rebuild. Well..

I grew up in Indiana and went to Northwestern - still an IU fan except against NU. By way of encouragement, things can improve when you least expect it - not always by changing the head coach.

In NU's case, after another horrible season a lot of us wanted to flush Collins. Then the 3 best players transferred: Kopp to IU, Pete Nance to North Carolina, and Ryan Young to Duke.
Zero hope. Then our clueless AD publicly threw Collins under the bus, making it impossible to get high quality transfers.

Then weird stuff happened. First, among the players, Buie and Audige decided to make it their team and set an example by working their butts off. The leadership from those 2 guys was huge, and the kids decided among themselves to work harder. Would not have happened with Kopp or Nance in the locker room - because it wasn't clear who the alpha was. I don't know IU's roster well enough if those leaders are on squad now, but you never know. In Boo's case we thought he was just a chucker, until he wasn't. He was just sick of losing.

Second, the assistants. Chris Lowery in as well as Tailor Battle, both of whom are excellent and fill in Collins' weaknesses (like defense). Without changing the head coach, the coaching changed - a lot. Now, I wouldn't change NU's coaching staff for anyone.

For all the people jumping on the "fire Woody" bandwagon, I'd ask: Is there any proof that coaching changes have actually worked for IU over the past few decades? Nope. So don't expect that to be a magic bullet. A fire Woody bandwagon is just going to do more harm than good at this point.

I hope to see you guys being pleasantly surprised by whatever happens in the offseason, then sweeping Purdue, getting to the dance, and more.

Last edited:
I grew up in Indiana and went to Northwestern - still an IU fan except against NU. By way of encouragement, things can improve when you least expect it - not always by changing the head coach.

In NU's case, after another horrible season a lot of us wanted to flush Collins. Then the 3 best players transferred: Kopp to IU, Pete Nance to North Carolina, and Ryan Young to Duke.
Zero hope. Then our clueless AD publicly threw Collins under the bus, making it impossible to get high quality transfers.

Then weird stuff happened. First, among the players, Buie and Audige decided to make it their team and set an example by working their butts off. The leadership from those 2 guys was huge, and the kids decided among themselves to work harder. Would not have happened with Kopp or Nance in the locker room - because it wasn't clear who the alpha was. I don't know IU's roster well enough if those leaders are on squad now, but you never know. In Boo's case we thought he was just a chucker, until he wasn't. He was just sick of losing.

Second, the assistants. Chris Lowery in as well as Tailor Battle, both of whom are excellent. Without changing the head coach, the coaching changed - a lot. Now, I wouldn't change NU's coaching staff for anyone.

For all the people jumping on the "fire Woody" bandwagon, I'd ask: Is there any proof that coaching changes have actually worked for IU over the past few decades? Nope. So don't expect that to be a magic bullet. A fire Woody bandwagon is just going to do more harm than good at this point.

I hope to see you guys being pleasantly surprised by whatever happens in the offseason, then sweeping Purdue, getting to the dance, and more.
nt relevant , collins a proven college coach and hes not 66

Should be on hot seat right now. His butt should be feeling toasty . IU regressing every year in last 7 years if not for TJD playing tough as he did.

His defense (and IU's) is the recent two tournament appearances that IU was blown out in: ...29 and 16 points respectively. That alone keeps him here another year. Thats the sizzle.

Reactions: .Gerdis
His defense (and IU's) is the recent two tournament appearances that IU was blown out in: ...29 and 16 points respectively. That alone keeps him here another year. Thats the sizzle.
Wouldn't know how to look it up, but I wonder what Woodson's record is as an underdog. At Purdue and at Illinois last year and the couple of wins in the BTT his 1st year probably only wins as a dog. other than those would be willing to bet that over 90 percent of the time were not favored it has resulted in double digit losses. that's coaching.

we shoot at least 1 air ball in each of the 7 remaining games.
well, I missed on this one, Gunn tried late to keep the streak going but I think that flying Garboza shot actually hit the bottom of the rim. now Galloways pass that would have landed in the 5th row could count as an air pass.

Why so negative, 2025 will take care of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT