ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson should be on the hot seat next year.

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
he just lost 3 players that were rated higher out of high school than most of the starters in the final 4, everyone can bitch and moan about the 3 of thems short comings which is fine., all 3 sat behind more talented players the last 2 or 3 years in Jordans case, this should have been the time for them to step up with all kinds of playing time available.

what we consider big time programs may lose 3 or 4 guys to the portal but 90 percent of those players averaged about 2 points a game and were clearly over their heads, Duncomb is the only one that may fit that description, but he was basically sick or injured the whole time he was here, so who knows about him

If we don't make the tournament next year Woodson needs to go, a 12 and 20 season next year will basically dry up recruiting for him. hope he proves me wrong but as a betting man I'd put us making the tournament next year at about 20 percent.

and there are way too many advantages at IU to accept a 500 record in the big 10 and making the tournament as a successful season. most of you do but I don't. time will tell maybe he kills it in the portal, and we make a sweet 16 next year. I would be shocked if that happens and will gladly admit I was wrong

this year was a major disappointment, and I'm not talking about the tournament. That happens it's a crap shoot. Kansas has lost as a 1 seed 5 times in the last 20 years without making the sweet 16, the thing is they are a 1 or 2 seed every year. With the experience we had this year and the depth starting the season 10 double digit losses should be unacceptable

we beat Purdue twice. who really gives a shit? that would be something Purdue would brag about 30 years ago while we were winning the big 10 every year Mich st looked like shit when we beat them in early January, they very easily could be in the the final 4 with one of Izzo's weakest rosters in years , they are adding 2 McDonalds aa's

someone tell me what we have to be excited about, Ball States center 2 recruits rated in the 120s. ?

P
he just lost 3 players that were rated higher out of high school than most of the starters in the final 4, everyone can bitch and moan about the 3 of thems short comings which is fine., all 3 sat behind more talented players the last 2 or 3 years in Jordans case, this should have been the time for them to step up with all kinds of playing time available.

what we consider big time programs may lose 3 or 4 guys to the portal but 90 percent of those players averaged about 2 points a game and were clearly over their heads, Duncomb is the only one that may fit that description, but he was basically sick or injured the whole time he was here, so who knows about him

If we don't make the tournament next year Woodson needs to go, a 12 and 20 season next year will basically dry up recruiting for him. hope he proves me wrong but as a betting man I'd put us making the tournament next year at about 20 percent.

and there are way too many advantages at IU to accept a 500 record in the big 10 and making the tournament as a successful season. most of you do but I don't. time will tell maybe he kills it in the portal, and we make a sweet 16 next year. I would be shocked if that happens and will gladly admit I was wrong

this year was a major disappointment, and I'm not talking about the tournament. That happens it's a crap shoot. Kansas has lost as a 1 seed 5 times in the last 20 years without making the sweet 16, the thing is they are a 1 or 2 seed every year. With the experience we had this year and the depth starting the season 10 double digit losses should be unacceptable

we beat Purdue twice. who really gives a shit? that would be something Purdue would brag about 30 years ago while we were winning the big 10 every year Mich st looked like shit when we beat them in early January, they very easily could be in the the final 4 with one of Izzo's weakest rosters in years , they are adding 2 McDonalds aa's

someone tell me what we have to be excited about, Ball States center 2 recruits rated in the 120s. ?
Kurt you’re not very good at trolling! Matter of fact, you look stupid for posting this garbage!

With NIL and the fact that players can transfer and play immediately I’m afraid that this is the new normal.
why would Geronimo and Bates need to transfer to get playing time? show me a major D1 roster they can join that has more opportunity for playing time than us. ask yourself this were Franklin Hunter and Durham more productive at IU or at the perspective schools they went to. We are not developing players. they regress here.

why would Geronimo and Bates need to transfer to get playing time? show me a major D1 roster they can join that has more opportunity for playing time than us. ask yourself this were Franklin Hunter and Durham more productive at IU or at the perspective schools they went to. We are not developing players. they regress here.
Geronimo and Bates are clearly being recruited over. Why do you think they transferred?

I respect your opinion and agree we are going to have see how this plays out, but would agree we could be on the brink of a total rebuild once again
Total rebuild? Wouldn’t go anywhere close to that far. If the roster we have today is the roster we start the year with…yes making the tournament may be a tall order unless one or two guys step up in a huge way.

There’s 2, possibly 3 high impact players who have yet to join the roster.

Yawn.

Geronimo and Bates are clearly being recruited over. Why do you think they transferred?
Geronimo yes. But Bates? Not seeing anybody yet to replace him from 3s. He was inconsistent, but that generally improves with experience.

Besides, I'm not sure we were recruiting over him. Sounds like he wanted a bigger role than he had earned.

If we want to develop guys they have to have the chance to play. That's why I wouldn't say next year is make our break. We need to develop the guys we've recruited, even if it means we dip next year. The next year (24/25) needs to show results.

Total rebuild? Wouldn’t go anywhere close to that far. If the roster we have today is the roster we start the year with…yes making the tournament may be a tall order unless one or two guys step up in a huge way.

There’s 2, possibly 3 high impact players who have yet to join the roster.
hope your right, I know there are 2000 players in the portal. but realistically how many of them would you consider high impact 20 to 25 maybe. problem is everyone else in the country wants them also, pulling 2 or 3 of them seems like a tall order.

If we want to develop guys they have to have the chance to play. That's why I wouldn't say next year is make our break. We need to develop the guys we've recruited, even if it means we dip next year. The next year (24/25) needs to show results.
Jordan and bates had the chance to play, did they improve?

Reactions: Zeester
Jordan and bates had the chance to play, did they improve?
Not enough. But that doesn't mean we should give up on the rest of our recruits. Expecting guys to crack the line up their freshman year or we'll recruit over them will make it hard to recruit over time.

Reactions: PackerPete
Not enough. But that doesn't mean we should give up on the rest of our recruits. Expecting guys to crack the line up their freshman year or we'll recruit over them will make it hard to recruit over time.
just hate to see them leave, thought both could have really contributed as a fan you get invested in these guys as soon as we start recruiting them. your best years as a player at IU are after you sign, and 3 years after you leave.

not trolling lucy, telling you what I think, are you excited about the future of this program? a year ago, I was, today I'm not, hope the hell I'm wrong.
Sure, start early on running down the coach and the program. Coaches like Woody have an even chance of retiring or being fired. You might get lucky in a couple of years and tell us how smart you were to predict his firing.

I believe you are wrong. He is a good coach. He knows what type of players he needs. It is a matter of getting them in the program. It isn't his fault Bates couldn't make a shot when he needed to. It isn't his fault 5 of our 6 players missed playing time and battled injuries to the last game.

I believe credit should be given to piecing the team back together to finish tied for 2nd in the B1G and 4th seed in the NCAA. We will see what the roster looks like next year. I am willing to bet he brings in more production than those that jumped ship. Reneau is a stud. X will remind us of why he would have helped us this past year. I trust Woody and I want him to make you look more foolish than you do tight now..

None of them played for Woodson, so moot point. Poor attempt at that false narrative

This is just dumb.

So much Bates conversation all over this board, and not sure where to drop in. My random two cents: I don’t want to pile on Bates, and I’m rooting for him wherever he lands, and definitely wished he had stayed, but he had so many opportunities to show his worth. Many times he showed he could hit the long three in tight situations, and he certainly improved his percentage from three over his time at IU. His defense also improved. He also had quite a few shots not in that category what made me gasp. Poor shots, and/or untimely shots outside of what the team needed. Sometimes he had the yips, on most of his fast break opportunities where he would do a cute circus shot, or maybe just wierd footwork on a layup, which resulted in key misses. I often wondered if he was afraid of contact there. Other times he would come in the game and you just knew the moment that he touched the ball he was putting it up. It’s true, sometimes he did pass out of those situations for better shots. However, he seemed to lead the team in shots taken outside of what I interpreted as priority shots.
All that to say, he clearly has great talent and skills, but seems to lack some basic basketball brains. He will end up on a quality team, and they will all wonder how a high percentage three point shooting player with skills and 5 star athleticism was allowed to leave IU, and they would be right in that regard. I’m just not sure he can be taught to play intelligently and within a team framework. Depending on where he lands, he will likely get a longer leash with more allowances for his poor shot selection, and he might hopefully develop a better sense for what constitutes a quality shot. If he can figure that out, Cavanaugh might end up being right about his future in the NBA.

I want atleast another top 25 team and top 5 B1G team next year but either way, just get into the tournament. But year 4? I want to see top 10 preseason talk again. That's fair.

Thanks for the post, Kurt.

Quite a few different points in there.

I like you bringing up KU. 20 something years ago I posted on here that IU had probably won their last national championship. It wasn’t trolling, and it doesn’t mean I can’t be excited to watch games. It’s just REALLY hard to win it all. KU went roughly 20 years b/t titles, but won their league and were a 1 or 2 seed almost every one of those seasons. That’s elite success-even without a title.

As to losing basically our whole team (which we are), part of that is we got the whole band back together for this last season, to make one last push. At this time last year I assumed TJD and Race were gone. I thought Kopp and JG might be gone. So, yeah, we lose a lot, but that’s because the rebuild was delayed a year.

So far, there haven’t been any surprises. Maybe we have one coming, maybe not.

What is there to be excited about? Change. A new team. It will be fascinating to watch. Do we land some guy that gets paid $1 million plus, and if so does that help or hurt us? Hard to manage someone like that, IMHO. Either way, any half way respectable team should be able to make the tourney next year (especially the way they hand out bids to our overrated conference) and be .500 in the league. Hopefully we bring in a bunch of players that help me to ratchet up my expectations.

Either way, next season is going to fascinating to watch. And the off-season will have tons of interesting things to debate.

I am quite sure that Woody Sat both down and talked about their roles next year and they decided to look for another opportunity.

Great guys and I wish them well, but neither could be a starter next year.

I'm like a few other's..Let's see how it all plays out..
I will say ..CMW needs two serious players that can score..Able to create and get their own shots
So he and his coaching staff need to make smart moves ..Or it very well could be a ugly yr..
But the door is still open ...We'll know by Christmas if we have a little something.
It takes time to gel a team together. With a bunch incoming transfers and freshmen.

Thanks for the post, Kurt.

Quite a few different points in there.

I like you bringing up KU. 20 something years ago I posted on here that IU had probably won their last national championship. It wasn’t trolling, and it doesn’t mean I can’t be excited to watch games. It’s just REALLY hard to win it all. KU went roughly 20 years b/t titles, but won their league and were a 1 or 2 seed almost every one of those seasons. That’s elite success-even without a title.

As to losing basically our whole team (which we are), part of that is we got the whole band back together for this last season, to make one last push. At this time last year I assumed TJD and Race were gone. I thought Kopp and JG might be gone. So, yeah, we lose a lot, but that’s because the rebuild was delayed a year.

So far, there haven’t been any surprises. Maybe we have one coming, maybe not.

What is there to be excited about? Change. A new team. It will be fascinating to watch. Do we land some guy that gets paid $1 million plus, and if so does that help or hurt us? Hard to manage someone like that, IMHO. Either way, any half way respectable team should be able to make the tourney next year (especially the way they hand out bids to our overrated conference) and be .500 in the league. Hopefully we bring in a bunch of players that help me to ratchet up my expectations.

Either way, next season is going to fascinating to watch. And the off-season will have tons of interesting things to debate.
agree Gerdis, this year is pivotal for Woodson and I will be rooting for him. As far as the Archie players argument let's see what he can do with his own players. that's valid I guess, but a counterpoint would be of our last 5 coaches no one walked into a better situation than Woodson.

If he can put together a good team this year with all the turnover, then I think he will be our coach the next 5 years. if we fall over a cliff next year then I think we have to move on. time will tell. Banks and Gunn may be more important than anyone we bring in from the portal, 2 freshman that showed some promise will they take the next step or have we already seen the best of them.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Young guys should have played more this year to get them developed.

X doesn't go down this year is different. Let's see who Woody brings in. It's obvious we need more athletic guards. It's also obvious we need to recruit the state harder for those guards.

With NIL and the fact that players can transfer and play immediately I’m afraid that this is the new normal.
I was thinking the transferring players should all go into a pool and then there should be a draft and schools could trade them around. Get them used to being treated like pros. Let's drop any pretence that they are working on academics in any way.

calm down Nancy. You can't (legitimately) complain that our high ranked recruits didn't pan out and are ranked lower than the guys playing in the F4 (in a very strange year in which there are no high seeds) and then also bitch that our incoming guys are "only" ranked in the 120s. Well, you can, but it makes you a hypocrite. Every big time program has lots of recruits who don't work out, you just never hear about them. But, it does seem like we've had a ton in recent years (Lander, Bates, JG and LD... although the latter 2 are they areas (4*+) that a lot of guys never contribute, imo.

But, I'm totally in agreement that this year was a major let down and a great opportunity wasted with the B10 also being down. And, I agree, we accomplished little. But, as I've also pointed out (gently, because I do think he was a great player, but I question if a great leader?) TJD (and Race) is the common link to many teams that underperformed. As good a player and person as they are, maybe he just wasn't great in the locker room at spurring other guys to buy in and excel?

Young guys should have played more this year to get them developed.
I don't see that as a realistic complaint. We had a big freshmen class come in and it's not at all unusual that only the top guys played, especially on such a veteran team. Banks and Gunn should have not expected to play. Look at how WIsconsin and Purdue bring guys along. A lot of their guys don't play much or even redshirt as freshmen. It would be different if last year was a rebuilding year, but we had a lot of experience returning and some guys were going to have to wait. Neither "shined" Like a Guyton or Cheaney as freshmen either, so I don't think that's unexpected.

Who was rated higher? Geronimo wasn't. Bates was overrated. He went 0-13 in the NCAA tourney. Woodson probably told them he was bringing in players and they would have to compete for time. Geronimo couldn't play this year. Dunscomb wasn't Woodson's recruit. He couldn't stay healthy which means he isn't reliable. IU needed to remake roster. X's injury really hampered this team. IU needs 5 different players if JHS leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT