ADVERTISEMENT

Judge puts Trump out of business in NY?

You know, I’ve never heard Trump talk about a pet or anything…ever. What kind of a person has never had a pet, or at least never talks about one they had?
r.mahaux-trump-family.jpg

Looks like Trump paying heavy price for getting elected. None of this would have seen the light of day.

Hopefully a bunch of republican prosecutors and judges start in on democrats.
That may be true and peopke reminded him of that before he ran. He has bought peopke off his entire life. Chickens finally coming home to roost.

You know, I’ve never heard Trump talk about a pet or anything…ever. What kind of a person has never had a pet, or at least never talks about one they had?
The kind of person Trump is. He posed with a dog once. Maybe a police dog? It was so awkward. Dogs know character. I’m sure they hate him.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Doesn't really matter. This is a cause of action created by NY statute for the purpose of protecting the public (i.e., the business community) in the state from people who have a history of pervasive fraudulent actions. No actual victims are required. The legislature created this cause of action through positive law and gave the AG standing to pursue it.
What defines (in this case) history of pervasive fraudulent actions?

What we all believe? Or

What the convictions show?

And

I have not seen any evidence that a crime was committed by over valuing buildings. It is their opinion.

That is the bank’s job.

What defines (in this case) history of pervasive fraudulent actions?

What we all believe? Or

What the convictions show?

And

I have not seen any evidence that a crime was committed by over valuing buildings. It is their opinion.

That is the bank’s job.
In this case, it's not the bank's job, and as I understand it, the statute in question specifies what the AG is required to show, which isn't much. I don't even think there needs to be an intent to defraud. Simply a history of dishonest reporting that's been used in business in the state, or something to that effect.

I believe the theory behind the law is to protect New York businesses from unscrupulous people. It probably wouldn't be all that controversial if it were any other shady business they were going after other than the Trump Org.

• Haha
Help a brother out here.

What does this mean for his properties in NY? Does he owe back taxes? Will they need to sell some of the properties?

One thing i don't understand....when I buy, refinance or insure a comparatively tiny property...the bank or insurance company comes and does a rectal exam on it. How do they take Trump's word for this?
They don't. They do their due diligence, as required. This is just a political prosecution, which is why none of the banks are party to the lawsuit.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
They don't. They do their due diligence, as required. This is just a political prosecution, which is why none of the banks are party to the lawsuit.
I have to say that iif what Happy goat says is close...this one feels a bit contrived. I tend to prefer prosecuting crimes where there is a victim and where the person or organization was given bad information or was inconvenienced is at least a party to the suits.

I have to say that iif what Happy goat says is close...this one feels a bit contrived. I tend to prefer prosecuting crimes where there is a victim and where the person or organization was given bad information or was inconvenienced is at least a party to the suits.
This isn't any sort of prosecution at all. It's about Trump's ability to do business in New York. Purely civil action.

PS, it's almost certainly political. I said before no one would bat an eye if they did this to any other business, and that's true. But Trump has been doing this stuff for many years, and it's only an issue to the state after he becomes president? I don't think so. In a fair world, he would have lost his business permit decades ago.

PS, it's almost certainly political. I said before no one would bat an eye if they did this to any other business, and that's true. But Trump has been doing this stuff for many years, and it's only an issue to the state after he becomes president? I don't think so. In a fair world, he would have lost his business permit decades ago.
OK, but no one has explained why he should lose his permit.

Also, it is far more than losing his ability to do business in NY if his businesses go into receivership.

Yeah, I haven't read the details, but are they looking to ban him because his stated values on PFS's are at his "estimated market", and not "tax assessed" values...or am I missing something?

It's not creditors complaining that he submitted clearly fraudulent info on property used as security for some loan?

It's not creditors complaining that he submitted clearly fraudulent info on property used as security for some loan?

That's what he did. The state of NY has an issue with that, and the AG is given legal authority to hold him accountable. Doesn't matter what the banks did or think.

That's what he did. The state of NY has an issue with that, and the AG is given legal authority to hold him accountable. Doesn't matter what the banks did or think.
I refinanced a condo I was rehabbing in FL. I submitted scads of info including my assessment of it's market value. My opinion of the value was high...so I apparently committed fraud against the bank. The bank came back and provided their assessmernt which was low...so they apparently committed fraud against me.

They got to win the debate so their fraud prevailed over my fraud.

No one lost their license or permits to proceed.

Trump's assessments were very reasonable imo. You have no idea what they would sell for if they ever hit the market. You can't compare Trump Tower or Maralago which are 2 of the most iconic properties in the country and where King's, Queen's, and Presidents have stayed at to similar size properties down the street. They are unique.

• Love
Do you have a link explaining what you just said? As I mentioned above, fraud requires more than an untrue statement. If NY has a statute that allows. an untrue statement to be actionable by itself, I’d like to look at it.

I refinanced a condo I was rehabbing in FL. I submitted scads of info including my assessment of it's market value. My opinion of the value was high...so I apparently committed fraud against the bank. The bank came back and provided their assessmernt which was low...so they apparently committed fraud against me.

In court, real estate values are always opinions. There cannot be an untrue opinion, only one without credibility.

Last edited:
I’m too much of a hound dog to stay away from women. If I got divorced, I’d be at Ohio’s bar sniffing around the bartender with too many tattoos like McGruff the crime dog.

I remember having a conversation with an older gent who scoffed at the idea of women being oppressed. And I quote, “They own a 100% of the world’s pussy. They’re doing just fine”.
a2da5c7d6179c06295ce81fad3c65950-width-600-jpeg-dbfc3a11d82e23f7cffc43a1d2b2b7173799aa3b.jpg

Found by whom? Dozens of FL real estate agents and attorneys have chimed in on Twitter and all said $300M+ is the bare minimum Maralago would sell for and likely over $500M if Trump ever put it on the market.
It comes with classified documents hidden in the walls and Melania's luffa drawer.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It's not. It's civil fraud, not criminal.

IANAL. I'm just going by what I've been able to determine from all the public reporting.
ok semantics.

I am still not getting who was wronged civally? To my post above...the banks and insurance companies have the obligation to do their due diligence and then have the final say...which is sometimes fraudulent.

The question is, what was the scale of the difference though?

The bank thinks your condo is worth $175,000, you think it should be $250,000. That can be chalked up to opinion.

To put it in perspective of the scale of several of the examples noted in the judgement with the same scenario, the bank thinks your condo is worth $175,000, you think it should be 1.75 million. At some point, it becomes obvious that you are trying to deceive people when you put that valuation on official documents.

Sure, you can put together a trove of documents to justify that position, but things like the square footage of the property being 1/3 of the size of what is actually existing is pretty hard to explain away.

There are several ramifications that go into overvaluation of properties. Property taxes are based on home values. Rent prices to tenants are based upon property values. The values of neighboring properties are influential to each other. By gaming the system and saying that a property is at a low value in one document and then 10x higher on another document, you are trying to game the system for profit. That is not a "victimless" crime. It affects the neighboring properties, your tenants, and the government in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke4ahs
What does this have to do with Trump surviving (politically)?
The New York AG ran on a platform to destroy Trump. She is on the cusp of succeeding beyond her wildest expectations. The Trump Organization is about to be stripped of its licenses to do business. Its major buildings and assets will be placed in the hands of a receiver. The state will empty its bank accounts. I think that will destroy Trump in every way imaginable.

All of this because he isn’t a nice guy and a Republican. Vivek Ramaswamy better pay attention. His ideas are much more Radical than Trump’s.

Reactions: DANC and zeke4ahs
There are several ramifications that go into overvaluation of properties. Property taxes are based on home values. Rent prices to tenants are based upon property values. The values of neighboring properties are influential to each other. By gaming the system and saying that a property is at a low value in one document and then 10x higher on another document, you are trying to game the system for profit. That is not a "victimless" crime. It affects the neighboring properties, your tenants, and the government in general.

:D

You just indicted every single passive-income RE investor in the US....from Donald Trump, to the guy in Road House who rented his barn to Dalton for $100/mo.

The New York AG ran on a platform to destroy Trump. She is on the cusp of succeeding beyond her wildest expectations. The Trump Organization is about to be stripped of its licenses to do business. Its major buildings and assets will be placed in the hands of a receiver. The state will empty its bank accounts. I think that will destroy Trump in every way imaginable.

All of this because he isn’t a nice guy and a Republican. Vivek Ramaswamy better pay attention. His ideas are much more Radical than Trump’s.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT