ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Biggs, leader of the Proud Boys, sentenced to 17 years in federal prison

One of them after being sentenced to 10 years:

pxl-20230901-1733091372.jpg

if only beyond belief stupidity was a legal defense.

yes, Trump won.

he won in getting you and other total morons to do all his dirty work for him and then go to prison for him, when he wouldn't so much as ever lift a finger to ever help you with anything, and now you rot in prison for someone who has looked down on you and yours his whole life, while he plays golf and eats steak all day every day.

Trump didn't win the election, but he obviously won you as his idiot servile cuck.

22 years for Enrique Tarrio.

The trial judge said of Tarrio:

”"I do think the evidence supports the inference that Mr. Tarrio was the ultimate leader [of the conspiracy]”

This remark doesn’t jibe with Trump’s J6 indictment. Tarrio isn’t even mentioned as a Trump co-conspirator.

I guess we are dealing with 2 distinct and separate insurrections. That’s news to me.

i guess for some crazy reason trying to overthrow and take over the govt is seemed as more heinous than rioting and arson.

and if they had succeeded, imagine what then.

would make Jan 6 and the George Floyd riots look like a love fest.
They weren't trying to take over the government and they did succeed in what they were trying to do (which is why they deserve some punishment but not at the levels being meted out).

You don't attempt to overthrow a nation that has the world's strongest military with signs and fists. Not in a country where there is one gun plus for every private citizen. This wasn't a coup and you guys look ****ing stupid every time you claim it was anything on par with that. It was a bunch of pissed off people politically rioting with the intent to change Congress's mind (for some) and for the vast majority it was people getting caught up in the mob.

What they did was illegal. The property damage was illegal. The fighting with police was illegal. They deserve punishment for that. The punishment they deserve should be on par with all the instances of left wing assholes behaving badly that we could pull up over the last decade (because when it comes to riots, supporters of the Democrats and the Left have mostly had that market cornered).

They are getting sentence 3 to 4 times higher than any of those other instances because they are the disfavored group and people like you that exist in the government want to make an example of them. Your team gets to burn down cities and act a fool and face this level of consequences way down here and if you people act up you get the hardest time in the slammer. If you defend your child at an abortion protest, you get a morning raid treating you like you are Osama Bin Laden.

And whatever, if that is the way it is, that is how it is. Just don't be surprised when those people look to elect more and more those who are going to be willing to enforce those same rules the other direction.

”"I do think the evidence supports the inference that Mr. Tarrio was the ultimate leader [of the conspiracy]”

This remark doesn’t jibe with Trump’s J6 indictment. Tarrio isn’t even mentioned as a Trump co-conspirator.

I guess we are dealing with 2 distinct and separate insurrections. That’s news to me.
Wait. Trump was charged in connection with the January 6 riot? That's news to me.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
They weren't trying to take over the government and they did succeed in what they were trying to do (which is why they deserve some punishment but not at the levels being meted out).

You don't attempt to overthrow a nation that has the world's strongest military with signs and fists. Not in a country where there is one gun plus for every private citizen. This wasn't a coup and you guys look ****ing stupid every time you claim it was anything on par with that. It was a bunch of pissed off people politically rioting with the intent to change Congress's mind (for some) and for the vast majority it was people getting caught up in the mob.

What they did was illegal. The property damage was illegal. The fighting with police was illegal. They deserve punishment for that. The punishment they deserve should be on par with all the instances of left wing assholes behaving badly that we could pull up over the last decade (because when it comes to riots, supporters of the Democrats and the Left have mostly had that market cornered).

They are getting sentence 3 to 4 times higher than any of those other instances because they are the disfavored group and people like you that exist in the government want to make an example of them. Your team gets to burn down cities and act a fool and face this level of consequences way down here and if you people act up you get the hardest time in the slammer. If you defend your child at an abortion protest, you get a morning raid treating you like you are Osama Bin Laden.

And whatever, if that is the way it is, that is how it is. Just don't be surprised when those people look to elect more and more those who are going to be willing to enforce those same rules the other direction.
God this post needs to be copied and pasted every time the left posts about the insurrection to bring down the country.

They didn't succeed.

You know that. I know that. I doubt they knew that. They thought by delaying the election certification Trump would stay in power, thereby usurping the long held ideal of a peaceful transfer of power.

You would think attacking the US Capitol would unite citizens against the kinds of sorts who would do such things. The US Capitol, not the local Gas and Sip. Instead it reveal how callous and/or dumb people are. Glad you at least think it was wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
God this post needs to be copied and pasted every time the left posts about the insurrection to bring down the country.
The riot forced the evacuation of the Capitol and an interruption of the electoral vote certification. If Pence had not proceeded with the vote certification later that night and if he sent things back to the states that had submitted "alternate" and uncertified slates of electors (which is what Trump and Eastman wanted him to do), then all bets were off. I don't know why that's hard to understand.

Oh wow. The Jan. 6 riots were far more than the Halloween vandalism you make it out to be.

The rioters intentionally showed up at the exact time and place for which a major event in the peaceful transfer of power was to take place. They did in fact delay the peaceful transfer of power by several hours. Several federal police officers were injured by intentional attacks and some died as a result. The rioters intended to interfere with these government activities.

The consequences of their actions were serious, because of the interlocking framework of dates, activities and deadlines specified by various Constitutional and statutory provisions to accomplish this transfer (e.g. receiving, counting and certifying electoral votes etc.). Most of these provisions are essentially absolute with no options for delays or continuances. Had their actions (and those of Trump and his conspirators) caused some of these deadlines to be missed, it most certainly would have caused violations of the calendar scheme required by the Constitution and statutes, leading to unprecedented chaos as deadlines were missed before legal mechanisms had time to amend the deadline provisions in the Constitution and statutes.

You've got no reason in hell to claim that the state law penalties for general all-purpose rioting should be the same as the federal penalties for intentional interference with transfer of federal power on Jan. 6 that risked the operation of the government of 335 million people. None.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
The riot forced the evacuation of the Capitol and an interruption of the electoral vote certification. If Pence had not proceeded with the vote certification later that night and if he sent things back to the states that had submitted "alternate" and uncertified slates of electors (which is what Trump and Eastman wanted him to do), then all bets were off. I don't know why that's hard to understand.
Burning down police buildings and businesses, rioting, looting and killing aren’t shit. Right?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
If you're really saying what your post sounds like, then you're saying that Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis did not engage in "insurrection" only because they failed to accomplish a permanent takeover.

Maybe your post needs a second draft.

Burning down police buildings and businesses, rioting, looting and killing aren’t shit. Right?
No, they're serious and should be punished severely.

But you are referring to state law crimes and the federal crimes are more serious because of what I wrote in Post 209 above. There's no requirement that the penalties for similar state and federal crimes have to be the same.

Don't Republicans and conservatives believe in following statutory law any more?

Reactions: outside shooter
Several federal police officers were injured by intentional attacks and some died as a result.
Cause and effect has never been established, Died as a result is a Democrat talking point which you recite here.
The consequences of their actions were serious, because of the interlocking framework of dates, activities and deadlines specified by various Constitutional and statutory provisions to accomplish this transfer (e.g. receiving, counting and certifying electoral votes etc.). Most of these provisions are essentially absolute with no options for delays or continuances. Had their actions (and those of Trump and his conspirators) caused some of these deadlines to be missed, it most certainly would have caused violations of the calendar scheme required by the Constitution and statutes, leading to unprecedented chaos as deadlines were missed before legal mechanisms had time to amend the deadline provisions in the Constitution and statutes.
The events leading up to Bush v. Gore tells us the timelines , deadlines, and even written election processes are subject to judicial control as needed. Our democracy was never in danger on J6. Your list of horribles is only unsupported speculation.

Reactions: DANC

They wanted Pence to reject the electoral votes from keys states so they could replace them with fake electors. When Pence didn't comply, the mob wanted to hang him and even brought a gallows

See Julius Caesar's murder...you don't need a military to get a change in leadership. You are setting the bar way too high if you think an attempted overthrow only counts if it can defeat the military first (a miliary that wasn't in the way of the objective).

And arguing that they were ill prepared for what they set out to do doesn't really excuse it.

• Haha
Shhh...don't tell him.

Were they?
I don't know. I'm not sure anyone has researched and compiled all those state prosecutions/convictions. Only a few examples are being discussed on this board.

I believe I heard yesterday that the federal count for Jan. 6 rioters at this point is about 1,150 pending prosecutions with about 350 present convictions.

Not all the federal sentences were the 18-22 years people are complaining about. The Shaman Jacob Chansley was originally sentenced to 41 months but was released 14 months early.

Who knows how many other federal convicts for Jan. 6 received probation or light sentences?

I don't know. I'm not sure anyone has researched and compiled all those state prosecutions/convictions. Only a few examples are being discussed on this board.

I believe I heard yesterday that the federal count for Jan. 6 rioters at this point is about 1,150 pending prosecutions with about 350 present convictions.

Not all the federal sentences were the 18-22 years people are complaining about. The Shaman Jacob Chansley was originally sentenced to 41 months but was released 14 months early.

Who knows how many other federal convicts for Jan. 6 received probation or light sentences?
Seriously, Thank you for responding with no snark.

Party of law and order sure gets upset when it actually hits their own. Weird.

Don't get mad that we notice "things". You can have discipline as a parent and go overboard.

"Johnny got an F so I made him do push-ups on broken glass until his knuckles bled."

"Seems a little harsh dude."

"Aren't you Mr. Teach kids responsibility? Kind of funny that all goes out the window when it was Johnny who wasn't responsible..."

No, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Particularly when you have the above.

Or this:

Law and order is about justice. What is being meted out isn't justice, it is retribution for wrong think. The guy up above set a fire that literally killed a person and the same justice department throwing the book at a guy for a protest he didn't even attend is asking for leniency. Why? Because one of them was burning shit and getting people killed for the "right" reason. The Jan. 6th rioters were wrong to varying degrees and deserve some punishment for same, the problem arises when you want to treat one group different from the other. And save the whole, "Well one was against the government..." Every single one of those protests were anti-government. The police aren't your local Lyons Club and the federal buildings being attacked around the country during the riots were representative of the same government.

Finally, I will say that there is an awful lot of opinion I think on your side of the aisle that this behavior can go on because the guy and people being hung out to dry are going to have no recompense. You might want to take a look at some polling because I don't think this is going to be the cake walk you all are thinking if your candidate is Biden. And if Trump gets back in office you all can spare me any hand wringing when he pays this back (and he will if given the chance.)

@IU_Hickory the laugh emoji is such weak sauce.

Here is the article describing the case I mentioned above. Before you respond, actually read the articlen. Then, in your own words please explain why this is ok. Why would the DOJ that is seeking maximum sentences on things like "Parading" during a riot asking for leniency on a guy who literally committed murder? And please take extra special note of the prosecutors, the Federal Prosecutors from the DOJ, arguing that riots are the voice of the unheard in their request for leniency.

Square the circle for me. Guy not at riot gets hit with 22 years while guy caught on video setting fire that killed a person has the DOJ begging for leniency and is given 10 years of a normal 20 year mandated sentence.

Here is the article describing the case I mentioned above. Before you respond, actually read the articlen. Then, in your own words please explain why this is ok. Why would the DOJ that is seeking maximum sentences on things like "Parading" during a riot asking for leniency on a guy who literally committed murder? And please take extra special note of the prosecutors, the Federal Prosecutors from the DOJ, arguing that riots are the voice of the unheard in their request for leniency.

Square the circle for me. Guy not at riot gets hit with 22 years while guy caught on video setting fire that killed a person has the DOJ begging for leniency and is given 10 years of a normal 20 year mandated sentence.
Don’t hold your breath. He’s lazy and the laughing emoji is easy.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark

You are cherry picking and trying to pretend like j6 is less than it was. I will laugh at posts that are so ridiculous that they don't deserve a response.

There is no honest debate when you can't even be honest about j6

• Haha
You are cherry picking and trying to pretend like j6 is less than it was. I will laugh at posts that are so ridiculous that they don't deserve a response.

There is no honest debate when you can't even be honest about j6
I will take that as a pass then. I "cherry picked" a federal case based on rioting that ended in the murder of a person. I compared that to a rioting case against a person who wasn't at said riot. One got 22 years, the harshest sentence possible. The other had prosecutors begging for leniency so he would get half the sentence.

I have been honest about J6. It was a political riot. It wasn't a coup. The people who ruoted deserved to be punished. Explain to me why they deserve harsher punishment than a rioters who murdered someone.

I will take that as a pass then. I "cherry picked" a federal case based on rioting that ended in the murder of a person. I compared that to a rioting case against a person who wasn't at said riot. One got 22 years, the harshest sentence possible. The other had prosecutors begging for leniency so he would get half the sentence.

I have been honest about J6. It was a political riot. It wasn't a coup. The people who ruoted deserved to be punished. Explain to me why they deserve harsher punishment than a rioters who murdered someone.
Bull crap. Quit lying about j6 just because it was your side

Wow. Bad faith posting doesn't get much more bad faith than that.

You wrote: "Before you respond, actually read the articlen."

I'd rather read the indictments and trial transcripts for all the cases you're referring to, so I can compare then.

Have you read them?

It's obviously different, as any fool can see.

Was it parading and was it interrupting Congress? (They said Congress went into lockdown so I believe the answer to that second question is yes.) If the answer to both of those is yes, then they deserve the same type of punishment as those on 1/6 who were parading and interrupting Congress.

They won't get it though because those are BS charges that leftists who do this stuff never face consequences for. They get booked and released.

Whatever the nonviolent paraders on 1/6 got (although I saw at least 1 video of a guy resisting arrest), these people should get similar.

Was it parading and was it interrupting Congress? (They said Congress went into lockdown so I believe the answer to that second question is yes.) If the answer to both of those is yes, then they deserve the same type of punishment as those on 1/6 who were parading and interrupting Congress.

They won't get it though because those are BS charges that leftists who do this stuff never face consequences for. They get booked and released.

Whatever the nonviolent paraders on 1/6 got (although I saw at least 1 video of a guy resisting arrest), these people should get similar.
Okay.

It's still different, but you already know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT