ADVERTISEMENT

Threats against federal lawmakers have surged about 400% in the past six years

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/19/9000-threats-lawmakers-congress-2022

U.S. Capitol Police recorded more than 9,000 threats against members of Congress this past year, Chief of Police Thomas Manger said Monday during a Senate Rules Committee hearing.

Why it matters: Threats against federal lawmakers have surged about 400% in the past six years, Manger said, calling it "a sobering number."

What he's saying: "I cannot overstate the scope, breadth, and intensity of the nation’s current threat climate," Manger said in his opening statement. "Hate, intolerance, and violence are part of this disturbing trend."

• "This past year the Department saw more than 9,000 threats against Members of Congress," Manger said.
  • "The attacks on Rep. Lee Zeldin and Paul Pelosi, as well as the threats directed towards other members of Congress, are a sad reminder of the extent to which our social fabric has frayed."
The big picture: Violence and threats of violence against lawmakers have been on the rise since former President Trump took office in 2017, stoking fear among members of Congress.

What's next: Manger noted Monday that since the Jan. 6 insurrection, Capitol Police has “made great strides” toward improving security and addressing staffing shortages, but said "there is still more work to be done."

• He said the department is primarily focused on "threat assessment and mitigation, fully reopening the Capitol and staffing."

• Sad
Reactions: Bowlmania
Unimpressed. When was the last time a president was assassinated? Hell, even an attempt? Reagan?

That’s over 40 years ago now. We used to get one every week. Collectively as voters we have lost our edge and willingness to hold our presidents to account.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Unimpressed. When was the last time a president was assassinated? Hell, even an attempt? Reagan?

That’s over 40 years ago now. We used to get one every week. Collectively as voters we have lost our edge and willingness to hold our presidents to account.
Did you mean to imply that assassination attempts can be used as a proxy for determining the collective will of voters to hold their presidents to account?

If so, that's f*&cked up.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Did you mean to imply that assassination attempts can be used as a proxy for determining the collective will of voters to hold their presidents to account?

If so, that's f*&cked up.
Maybe we should tell him about the Romans (3rd century CE) and the Japanese (pre WWII). Assassination politics largely leads to chaos.

Didn't solve the Roman droughts nor Japan's headlong surge into war.

The leaders most at risk were members of the Gordian dynasty, which lasted from 235 C.E. to 285 C.E. and saw 14 of 26 emperors assassinated. In addition to experiencing poor harvests and subsequently starving troops, The Economist notes that Gordian emperors faced plague, invasions and economic depression.

Maybe we should tell him about the Romans (3rd century CE) and the Japanese (pre WWII). Assassination politics largely leads to chaos.

maybe you should tell him that being a dumbass just for the sake of being a dumbass is not funny. that's Lucy's game.

Pointing to the lack of assassination attempts, though, is important--it could evidence a more stable society than that OP report is implying.

But I think we have to take into account the Secret Service might have upped their game on Prez security so much, that they have deterred most Prez assassination attempts. Maybe the politically disgruntled and mentally disturbed, then, are targeting politicians lower down the chain.

Pointing to the lack of assassination attempts, though, is important--it could evidence a more stable society than that OP report is implying.

But I think we have to take into account the Secret Service might have upped their game on Prez security so much, that they have deterred most Prez assassination attempts. Maybe the politically disgruntled and mentally disturbed, then, are targeting politicians lower down the chain.
Yep. We live in the safest world humans have ever inhabited. Wtih the least amount of war and violent confict per capita.

Then again, most Romans never knew the Emperor was assassinated for probably a year or didn't care too much either way.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/19/9000-threats-lawmakers-congress-2022

U.S. Capitol Police recorded more than 9,000 threats against members of Congress this past year, Chief of Police Thomas Manger said Monday during a Senate Rules Committee hearing.

Why it matters: Threats against federal lawmakers have surged about 400% in the past six years, Manger said, calling it "a sobering number."

What he's saying: "I cannot overstate the scope, breadth, and intensity of the nation’s current threat climate," Manger said in his opening statement. "Hate, intolerance, and violence are part of this disturbing trend."

• "This past year the Department saw more than 9,000 threats against Members of Congress," Manger said.
  • "The attacks on Rep. Lee Zeldin and Paul Pelosi, as well as the threats directed towards other members of Congress, are a sad reminder of the extent to which our social fabric has frayed."
The big picture: Violence and threats of violence against lawmakers have been on the rise since former President Trump took office in 2017, stoking fear among members of Congress.

What's next: Manger noted Monday that since the Jan. 6 insurrection, Capitol Police has “made great strides” toward improving security and addressing staffing shortages, but said "there is still more work to be done."

• He said the department is primarily focused on "threat assessment and mitigation, fully reopening the Capitol and staffing."
The threats of violence and actual violence has increased for all of us. See Chicago, San Fran, St L etc. Threats are as easily made as posting on this website.

Until we know the trend of the delta between threats against officials and general violence and threats, I can’t take the Capitol cop message to seriously. Besides, we don’t know if the Pelosi attack was even about politics. The officials and media manipulated that story.

Yep. We live in the safest world humans have ever inhabited. Wtih the least amount of war and violent confict per capita.

Then again, most Romans never knew the Emperor was assassinated for probably a year or didn't care too much either way.
Depends on what you mean by "safe." I mean, since at least the 1960s, mankind has had the ability to wipe itself off the face of the Earth.

Reactions: larsIU
actual violence has increased for all of us.
over the short term, sure, to still be way WAY below rates of even 30 years ago

reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990.jpg

It's merely the misperception of danger that has increased dramatically, and threats of violence likely spurred by Trumpism

We know that people like AOC and even Tony Fauci get death threats on a daily basis. I doubt that people like Tip O'Neill dealt with that level of threats

It's merely the misperception of danger that has increased dramatically, and threats of violence likely spurred by Trumpism

We know that people like AOC and even Tony Fauci get death threats on a daily basis. I doubt that people like Tip O'Neill dealt with that level of threats
No. Violent crime had been on the decline for decades until the summer of love and AOC and your friends got a voice. Then violent crime went flat and murders increased. Is there ever a topic you are right about? Trumpism is nothing compared to what goes on in cities. Mercy. You are one dumb dude. Just a malleable little mush of a brain with your pronouns on your door

Last edited:

“ likely spurred by Trumpism”. Lol. Your “scientific” posts are a riot

As for the data, definitions have changed. Carjacking, for example, is not a crime of violence for purposes of many 3 strike laws or sentencing guidelines.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and NPT
No. Violent crime had been on the decline for decades until the summer of love and AOC and your friends got a voice. Then violent crime went flat and murders increased. Is there ever a topic you are right about? Trumpism is nothing compared to what goes on in cities. Mercy. You are one dumb dude
I think COVID played a big role. The locksdown, shutdowns, gig employement, people in and out of the workfroce, disruption, fear of the virus, etc.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think COVID played a big role. The locksdown, shutdowns, gig employement, people in and out of the workfroce, disruption, fear of the virus, etc.
Absolutely. People lost their shit. Were already fired up. Then departments got cut. After the summer of love and cop hate cops took early retirement in unprecedented numbers and ain’t we got fun

Reactions: larsIU
No. Violent crime had been on the decline for decades until the summer of love and AOC and your friends got a voice. Then violent crime went flat and murders increased. Is there ever a topic you are right about? Trumpism is nothing compared to what goes on in cities. Mercy. You are one dumb dude. Just a malleable little mush of a brain with your pronouns on your door
Look at his graph. The summer of love wasn't the inflection point.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Which one? 2014 or 2020?

Can't recall why 2014 would have seen an uptick and we can't blame it on either Trump or the vaccine/virus.....yet.
Sure it was. It’s the bump in 20 from 19
Honestly, none of the variation between 2014 and 2020 is even statistically significant, most likely. Violent crime has essentially flatlined, but the media would find reporting that boring.

2014 was Ferguson year
Which one? 2014 or 2020?

Can't recall why 2014 would have seen an uptick and we can't blame it on either Trump or the vaccine/virus.....yet.

Honestly, none of the variation between 2014 and 2020 is even statistically significant, most likely. Violent crime has essentially flatlined, but the media would find reporting that boring.
Unless you live in a city that saw record murders etc. The amount children here shot was heartbreaking

“ likely spurred by Trumpism”. Lol. Your “scientific” posts are a riot

As for the data, definitions have changed. Carjacking, for example, is not a crime of violence for purposes of many 3 strike laws or sentencing guidelines.
He gets his exercise by JUMPING to conclusions. I'm sure all the floods in CA were caused by Trump. :rolleyes:

Even statistical noise can be heartbreaking. Look at Zeke. She's seen an egregious amount of COVID death. Huge statistical outlier. Must be very hard on her, but it doesn't reflect the rest of our experiences.
And has consequences. One of our biggest companies, centene ended expansion plans here citing crime over the summer of love. Not good for recruitment

Even statistical noise can be heartbreaking. Look at Zeke. She's seen an egregious amount of COVID death. Huge statistical outlier. Must be very hard on her, but it doesn't reflect the rest of our experiences.
Yes, but you must also must take into account that Zeke is lying.

I ran the #’s. The likelihood of someone personally knowing 50+ people that have died of Covid is 0.00000001%

And has consequences. One of our biggest companies, centene ended expansion plans here citing crime over the summer of love. Not good for recruitment
Of course. We should always remember that the individuals in a society are still real people. If St Louis is falling apart, that sucks for St Louis. I'm only saying, we should also not forget that the law of large numbers dictates that outliers will exist, and they are not representative of the whole.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Of course. We should always remember that the individuals in a society are still real people. If St Louis is falling apart, that sucks for St Louis. I'm only saying, we should also not forget that the law of large numbers dictates that outliers will exist, and they are not representative of the whole.
Except I wouldn’t classify New York and other metros that saw significant spikes outliers. There was a trend in major metros

Except I wouldn’t classify New York and other metros that saw significant spikes outliers. There was a trend in major metros
The trend was stronger in some than others. And some places bucked the trend. But there are always outliers. The cities with the highest changes in crime rates (both negative and positive) are outliers by definition. My point is that, nationwide, violent crime has stayed mostly flat the past decade.

The trend was stronger in some than others. And some places bucked the trend. But there are always outliers. The cities with the highest changes in crime rates (both negative and positive) are outliers by definition. My point is that, nationwide, violent crime has stayed mostly flat the past decade.
Yeah I think your point misses the point. The urban centers where the lion’s share of people reside is what’s most germane. That is where the spike occurred. Factoring in Parkersburg West Virginia for the sake of dilution is silly. The latter is the outlier

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Yeah I think your point misses the point. The urban centers where the lion’s share of people reside is what’s most germane. That is where the spike occurred. Factoring in Parkersburg West Virginia for the sake of dilution is silly. The latter is the outlier
It doesn't work that way. Outliers happen on both ends. Look at the overall numbers. There is no nationwide spike.

”The whole” is not a relevant statistic. “Outliers” doesn’t mean what you think it means. Numbers if of data clusters are not outliers.

you left out leftist DAs put in office along with Democrats that changed the rules, so criminals get turned out on the street right away. It used to be democrats were tough on crime, but many have bought into the BS too much. One of the democrats I really looked up to was Daniel Moynahan who pointed out to democrats what damage they were doing to the poor with their policies.

Trump was lied about by our MSM and others which is why so many support him. I want Desantis to be our next President but already the press is lying about him. He does a great job explaining why he pushes legislation and the hurricane showed what a good administrator he was despite media lying about what was going on. Democrats in Florida saw through the lies and helped him have a landslide win. Too many here on both sides listen to the press instead of looking for real information that isn't skewed by who pays for the information.

This graph by the FBI isn't accurate as whistleblowers say they skew the numbers to fit their narrative because they go to the Republicans because they know the democrats ignore them and media would report on what they said.

Last edited:
the last decade is immaterial. so without getting into semantics let's keep it simple. 2020 saw a spike even on that graph, and we don't know what crimes are classified therein. What's more every major city saw major increases if not record numbers of murders. new york. chicago. los angeles. the trend was bucked by virtue of the summer of love, we have a data point, just as we did in 2014, and dem policies and rhetoric, and covid. if you look at the data set for murders/violent crime the outlier is the year 2020/2021

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT