ADVERTISEMENT

IU and MI

I just wish we would land some shooters haha. Pumped about the commitment, but still worried about the outside shooting. McNeil is visiting this weekend.
I have been thinking about several options including JHS becoming the PG and X playing the 2. Need to get the best talent on the court. JHS seems to have the leadership and IQ we have been lacking. Hard to put a freshman in that position but others have done it.

“would send a very poor message if he sits JHS and Bates in favor of Galloway”

Idiotic and why people Iike Dan Dakich have listeners. The idea of sitting a better player for what is currently an AAU paper tiger is laughable.

This team can’t sit Galloway unless someone makes a big jump.

The only reason you have any small shred of legitimacy in this debate is the fact that Woodson kept playing Parker Stewart. I think he must of been killing in practice and they wanted to give the senior a chance to turn the corner. Unfortunately it never happened.

Recruiting is rolling and the best players with the best chance of winning will play. Period. If they don’t like it another spot will open. That’s how it works on contending teams.
I hate Dakich.

Galloway is not the better player, imo. He is extremely limited and essentially reached his peak. The other 3 players have far superior upside, and they should be developed for the future.

Galloway was a bench player on a mediocre team. Let’s not pretend like he’s some stud. He wouldn’t see the floor on most good teams. I think we’ve finally gotten away from recruiting the Galloway and Leal types. They are a dime a dozen in the portal.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I have been thinking about several options including JHS becoming the PG and X playing the 2. Need to get the best talent on the court. JHS seems to have the leadership and IQ we have been lacking. Hard to put a freshman in that position but others have done it.
I could see XJ, Bates, and JHS as the starting backcourt. All three will get huge PT though.

The only reason you have any small shred of legitimacy in this debate is the fact that Woodson kept playing Parker Stewart. I think he must of been killing in practice and they wanted to give the senior a chance to turn the corner.
The reasons Stewart and Kopp kept playing was pretty simple. They made less mistakes.

Galloway for all his virtues turned the ball over 20% of possessions used, Jordan 19%. Kopp was a little high for what he does, but still 13%.

That's why they didn't play even though they are more productive. Can't have role players giving away possessions especially when the PG gives away too many already.

Stew and Kopp also made less mistakes on defense. Maybe too slow to guard one on one at a high level, but where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there. Can't say that about Jordan.

Plus, development could happen. Trey if he gets his jumper down. Jordan if he becomes a better ballhandler. Tamar with confidence and more strength. Those are completely different players than this years version.

It didn't happen at all during Miller years, and not enough during Crean's but players are supposed to get better in off season. Hopefully they all do and someone has a breakout. There's a lot of untapped talent there.

It amazes me that the rest of the B1G isn't taking the UM model. It's proven to have the most results nationally, and as much as UM annoys me, they're the only reason the B1G has a shred of credibility after the last two tourneys. Illinois, Wisco and Purdon't are great examples of B1G success that doesn't translate to the tourney. Wisco and Purdon't have never seemed to value recruiting. Davis and Ivey are the exception not the rule and even with them, those two programs mustered three wins, and only one against a quality opponent in the tourney. Illinois and OSU have actually been respectable recruiting of late, but I have serious doubts about the two HC's in charge, it seems they even know how to use the talent when they get it.

Actual basketball skill, not bully ball is what wins games in March. IU is in the early stages of playing a modern brand of basketball and let's hope the MO continues, we will soon find out if Woody can use the talent properly. but seriously, this conference needs to stop playing "Big Ten basketball", it is very clearly a failing model.

I would argue academic scholarship IS paying your own way. You are there then to enhance the academic status of the university through your endeavors and they are compensating you through tuition .. hence paying your own way, at least a trade off
I'm going to regret wading into this stupid pissing match. But...scholarship recipients don't pay for school. How can the kid pay his own way, while also not paying anything?

Is it Schrodinger scholarship? Its an undifferentiated scholarship until the NCAA looks at it, and then it becomes whatever one you want?

Also, you were never good enough to walk on at IU.

Yes, but can you really prove Settles wasn't in Wuhan between 1993 and 1999? Can you? It's entirely possible in my mind that he and Jaaks ate bats
And Settles is God, don't you know?
That sounds absurd. So they can use NIL money to pay tuition, but not have an academic scholarship if they have earned it? That's nuts, and the article you referenced could have just as easily been penned by Ric Flair, I don't believe that's true at all, reference an NCAA rule, not some bloggers opinion of generalities
A player can move from scholarship to a walk on, BUT THEY MUST PAY THEIR OWN WAY WITHOUT AN ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP.

A player can move from scholarship to a walk on, BUT THEY MUST PAY THEIR OWN WAY WITHOUT AN ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP.
Yes, Settles is God, even Clapton admits he was better

I'm going to regret wading into this stupid pissing match. But...scholarship recipients don't pay for school. How can the kid pay his own way, while also not paying anything?

Is it Schrodinger scholarship? Its an undifferentiated scholarship until the NCAA looks at it, and then it becomes whatever one you want?

Also, you were never good enough to walk on at IU.
Yeah, I know I never was, I'm 5'10 so that's why, but anybody can moonlight at 711 on an academic scholarship, I can't imagine it precludes that

Gee, that just makes so much sense. I don't care if it is the rule, but it slaps as great I'm dumb, good for me

It amazes me that the rest of the B1G isn't taking the UM model. It's proven to have the most results nationally, and as much as UM annoys me, they're the only reason the B1G has a shred of credibility after the last two tourneys. Illinois, Wisco and Purdon't are great examples of B1G success that doesn't translate to the tourney. Wisco and Purdon't have never seemed to value recruiting. Davis and Ivey are the exception not the rule and even with them, those two programs mustered three wins, and only one against a quality opponent in the tourney. Illinois and OSU have actually been respectable recruiting of late, but I have serious doubts about the two HC's in charge, it seems they even know how to use the talent when they get it.

Actual basketball skill, not bully ball is what wins games in March. IU is in the early stages of playing a modern brand of basketball and let's hope the MO continues, we will soon find out if Woody can use the talent properly. but seriously, this conference needs to stop playing "Big Ten basketball", it is very clearly a failing model.
It has to be both and only MSU does that well, they play bully ball all year and then run you when they get in the tourney, I'd like to see that from us

That’s fine. Like I said, Duncomb seems the most likely guy to get Creaned, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

I don’t expect Leal or Galloway to ever be a big part of the rotation though.
Galloway has been a starter on his two seasons at IU. Leal gets Priller-type mop time minutes. Leal is the player that will not play unless he suddenly transforms into a knock down shooter.

Galloway has been a starter on his two seasons at IU. Leal gets Priller-type mop time minutes. Leal is the player that will not play unless he suddenly transforms into a knock down shooter.
Galloway has started 10 out of 45 games.

I’m not suggesting it could be Galloway due to him being the worst scholarship player. He is better than Duncomb, Gunn, and Leal. However, if he doesn’t see a path to a big role, he may transfer out. Leal seems to be okay with being the end of the bench guy. I don’t see Galloway being willing to take a step back. There is obviously some debate on whether or not his minutes/role will be reduced. I believe it will and others disagree.

That’s fine. Like I said, Duncomb seems the most likely guy to get Creaned, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

I don’t expect Leal or Galloway to ever be a big part of the rotation though.
Did you watch Galloway play this year. That kid is the real deal and you do understand that this kid is going to be an all conference player by the time he is a senior. At least all defensive team. I am going to say that Galloway has had wrist issues the last couple years and that has hurt his outside shooting. But he will work his butt off and he will definitely improve his outside shooting. I guarantee you that ANY other coach in the country would want that kid on their team! He was and will be a key contributor for the rest of his time here. The kid has an unbelievable bball IQ that makes him a very good player. You will see what I am talking about next year if you didn’t see it this year which I am surprised you didn’t..

Reactions: MIS01
Did you watch Galloway play this year. That kid is the real deal and you do understand that this kid is going to be an all conference player by the time he is a senior. At least all defensive team. I am going to say that Galloway has had wrist issues the last couple years and that has hurt his outside shooting. But he will work his butt off and he will definitely improve his outside shooting. I guarantee you that ANY other coach in the country would want that kid on their team! He was and will be a key contributor for the rest of his time here. The kid has an unbelievable bball IQ that makes him a very good player. You will see what I am talking about next year if you didn’t see it this year which I am surprised you didn’t..
Lol completely laughable to suggest he will be an All Conference player. He was a role player on a mediocre team. It’s not like he was some stud last year. His shooting has been poor even since high school, so no, it’s not a wrist issue.

That high IQ player had a 20.2 turnover percentage.

He’s a high energy player and he plays extremely hard…. However he’s extremely limited and a small role player on a good team.

Reactions: kkott
Lol completely laughable to suggest he will be an All Conference player. He was a role player on a mediocre team. It’s not like he was some stud last year. His shooting has been poor even since high school, so no, it’s not a wrist issue.

That high IQ player had a 20.2 turnover percentage.

He’s a high energy player and he plays extremely hard…. However he’s extremely limited and a small role player on a good team.
I will just agree to disagree everyone has their opinions and we will see who is right as IU plays this season. But the real issue I have with you even suggesting that Galloway or Leal would transfer is crazy. Both were the first to say they would staying when Archie was fired and both have said they are coming back next year. I guess you missed those facts. But we will not ever agree on the Trey Galloway issue let’s just see how his career plays out.

I will just agree to disagree everyone has their opinions and we will see who is right as IU plays this season. But the real issue I have with you even suggesting that Galloway or Leal would transfer is crazy. Both were the first to say they would staying when Archie was fired and both have said they are coming back next year. I guess you missed those facts. But we will not ever agree on the Trey Galloway issue let’s just see how his career plays out.
JFC dude. Someone has to leave if we oversign and it won’t be Woodson’s guys. I even stated that I believe it will likely be Duncomb. I have never once suggested it would be Leal. Every team needs a guy willing to be happy riding the bench.

Anyone suggesting Galloway will have minimal influence on this team just simply does not know basketball. When he was not injured he was a very significant factor in games this past season. Honestly do some of you even watch the games???? Go watch the games it is not up for debate as it has already happened....he is an impact player that will continue to impact this team. Quit looking at rankings/stars and open your eyes as to what you see happening on the floor. Galloway is a player pure and simple and that will continue to be evident in the games we play.

Anyone suggesting Galloway will have minimal influence on this team just simply does not know basketball. When he was not injured he was a very significant factor in games this past season. Honestly do some of you even watch the games???? Go watch the games it is not up for debate as it has already happened....he is an impact player that will continue to impact this team. Quit looking at rankings/stars and open your eyes as to what you see happening on the floor. Galloway is a player pure and simple and that will continue to be evident in the games we play.
Let’s see your minutes breakdown for the team, and don’t forget to include either Dexter Dennis or Sean McNeil.

Just reading this post reminds me of Steve Eyl, Brian Evans and those journeymen players from the past, that weren’t flashy, but used their brains and physical toughness during games.
I think Calloway will somewhat fit in that spot in the upcoming future.

Just reading this post reminds me of Steve Eyl, Brian Evans and those journeymen players from the past, that weren’t flashy, but used their brains and physical toughness during games.
Eyl could pass and play defense. He scored a lot on putbacks. Could screen hard for days. Evans was a knockdown shooter. His career was hampered by that shoulder. Galloway is good but he’s not keeping guys off the court. He’s definitely a serviceable player but his shooting will ultimately bench him.

And I completely disagree. Look at guys like Branham and Ivey as freshmen. Started slow, but their coaches stuck with them.

Davis played 24 mpg and Murray played 18.
I just don't get your logic on PT. If the kid can't play better than the starters on his own team, why would playing against the starters on another team hasten his development?

I'm not sure you ever spent any time on a real team that was trying to win games. If someone isn't good enough in practice to start, it is highly unlikely they will show more in games. The examples you use appear to validate what you say, but they really don't. Ivey and Branham earned their playing time in practice. Coaches, whose livelihoods depend on winning games EVERY year, don't play kids for developmental reasons unless they ARE the best on their teams. It just doesn't happen. It doesn't happen in high school, it doesn't happen in the NBA and it doesn't happen in college ball.

I hope Bates and Geronimo develop in the offseason and earn their PT through performance, but last season they got the PT they earned through their practices and their performance in games when they did play.

I just don't get your logic on PT. If the kid can't play better than the starters on his own team, why would playing against the starters on another team hasten his development?

I'm not sure you ever spent any time on a real team that was trying to win games. If someone isn't good enough in practice to start, it is highly unlikely they will show more in games. The examples you use appear to validate what you say, but they really don't. Ivey and Branham earned their playing time in practice. Coaches, whose livelihoods depend on winning games EVERY year, don't play kids for developmental reasons unless they ARE the best on their teams. It just doesn't happen. It doesn't happen in high school, it doesn't happen in the NBA and it doesn't happen in college ball.

I hope Bates and Geronimo develop in the offseason and earn their PT through performance, but last season they got the PT they earned through their practices and their performance in games when they did play.
Not a single person here knows what happened in practice this year.

I’m a firm believer that some players are gamers. Practice doesn’t always translate, and some players perform better outside of practice, because it means more.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I hate Dakich.

Galloway is not the better player, imo. He is extremely limited and essentially reached his peak. The other 3 players have far superior upside, and they should be developed for the future.

Galloway was a bench player on a mediocre team. Let’s not pretend like he’s some stud. He wouldn’t see the floor on most good teams. I think we’ve finally gotten away from recruiting the Galloway and Leal types. They are a dime a dozen in the portal.
Galloway is limited for sure, but he consistently outperformed Bates both offensively and significantly defensively in games, and probably in practice. Bates has to get better to play, very simple, I can't believe you don't get that. Galloway will play over anybody, including 5 stars, if he plays better within the system Woodson runs. Unbelievably simple. Very few collegiate players are "complete" in the sense that they do everything well (if so they leave quickly for the NBA).

So let's see your guys who will beat out Galloway - Bates we've talked about incessantly and whether you want to admit it or not he didn't play good enough to play more minutes than Galloway when Galloway was healthy. JHS hasn't played one practice yet and though I am encouraged by his potential to get starter minutes based on the schedule and competition he faced at Montverde, he too is far from a complete player and hasn't played against the physicality in the B1G and the consistently bigger tougher defenders he will face collegiately. Also, his 3 pt. percentage was mediocre at best, so he will have to earn minutes as a good to great defender and ball distributor (which he probably can do but who knows).

Fact is, it's on them, Bates and JHS, to take minutes from Galloway based on how they play in practice and during games. Woodson won't play either of them over Galloway if they are not better.

Galloway is limited for sure, but he consistently outperformed Bates both offensively and significantly defensively in games, and probably in practice. Bates has to get better to play, very simple, I can't believe you don't get that. Galloway will play over anybody, including 5 stars, if he plays better within the system Woodson runs. Unbelievably simple. Very few collegiate players are "complete" in the sense that they do everything well (if so they leave quickly for the NBA).

So let's see your guys who will beat out Galloway - Bates we've talked about incessantly and whether you want to admit it or not he didn't play good enough to play more minutes than Galloway when Galloway was healthy. JHS hasn't played one practice yet and though I am encouraged by his potential to get starter minutes based on the schedule and competition he faced at Montverde, he too is far from a complete player and hasn't played against the physicality in the B1G and the consistently bigger tougher defenders he will face collegiately. Also, his 3 pt. percentage was mediocre at best, so he will have to earn minutes as a good to great defender and ball distributor (which he probably can do but who knows).

Fact is, it's on them, Bates and JHS, to take minutes from Galloway based on how they play in practice and during games. Woodson won't play either of them over Galloway if they are not better.
I’ve posted it many times, so you know who I expect to play over Galloway already, but I’ll break it down for you again I guess.

Without Dennis or McNeil
1 - XJ/JHS
2 - Bates/Galloway
3 - JG/Kopp
4 - Race/Reneau
5 - TJD/Reneau

With Dennis or McNeil
1 - XJ/JHS
2 - Bates/Dennis or McNeil
3 - JG/Kopp
4 - Race/Reneau
5 - TJD/Reneau

Woodson has proven to prefer Kopp to Galloway. He isn’t recruiting Dennis or McNeil to come in and not play.

Not a single person here knows what happened in practice this year.

I’m a firm believer that some players are gamers. Practice doesn’t always translate, and some players perform better outside of practice, because it means more.
I'm a firm believer that players play in games the way they practice, Most coaches believe the same thing.

If the player plays well in games, but not practices the coach sooner or later rides him in practice to get his practice play up to the standard he plays in games (makes the team better). But, the best players always try to play their best in practice.

You ever read about Michael Jordan? He was a complete a-hole in practice because he was so competitive. Other players on the Bulls absolutely hated him for how much he demanded of them and himself in practices. Cartwright and Luc Longley complained about how be berated them. So was Jordan a "gamer' in your book? The best are the best all of the time. I wouldn't want a kid on my team that dogged in practice and showed up in games because sooner or later he wouldn't show up in games because his dedication wasn't there to get better.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Brian Evans journeymen player? he was a 1st round draft pick, and earl graduated 10 years ago

I'm a firm believer that players play in games the way they practice, Most coaches believe the same thing.

If the player plays well in games, but not practices the coach sooner or later rides him in practice to get his practice play up to the standard he plays in games (makes the team better). But, the best players always try to play their best in practice.

You ever read about Michael Jordan? He was a complete a-hole in practice because he was so competitive. Other players on the Bulls absolutely hated him for how much he demanded of them and himself in practices. Cartwright and Luc Longley complained about how be berated them. So was Jordan a "gamer' in your book? The best are the best all of the time. I wouldn't want a kid on my team that dogged in practice and showed up in games because sooner or later he wouldn't show up in games because his dedication wasn't there to get better.

You do not know what you are talking about.
Lol you are talking about the GOAT. 99% of NBA players don’t approach practice that way. Ever heard of AI? Do you know his views on practice?

Miller Kopp is reportedly lights out in practice. Doesn’t translate to the actual games though.

I believe Bates will make a big leap. You don’t. We will see who is correct.

I’ve posted it many times, so you know who I expect to play over Galloway already, but I’ll break it down for you again I guess.

Without Dennis or McNeil
1 - XJ/JHS
2 - Bates/Galloway
3 - JG/Kopp
4 - Race/Reneau
5 - TJD/Reneau

With Dennis or McNeil
1 - XJ/JHS
2 - Bates/Dennis or McNeil
3 - JG/Kopp
4 - Race/Reneau
5 - TJD/Reneau

Woodson has proven to prefer Kopp to Galloway. He isn’t recruiting Dennis or McNeil to come in and not play.
You show your foolishness again. Kopp and Galloway played different roles on the team, it wasn't preference. Kopp unfortunately didn't have real competition due to Geronimo's and Bates's limitations. Kopp continued to start because those kids weren't consistently better options. That's what I saw all season. Kopp was a better, ostensibly 3 pt. shooter than Galloway anyway and that was supposed to be Kop's role that he unfortunately didn't prove to be very good at. Galloway was great coming in off the bench defensively and creating energy on offense. Neither Dennis (not much offense) or McNeil (not much defense) offers a complete package either.

You show your foolishness again. Kopp and Galloway played different roles on the team, it wasn't preference. Kopp unfortunately didn't have real competition due to Geronimo's and Bates's limitations. Kopp continued to start because those kids weren't consistently better options. That's what I saw all season. Kopp was a better, ostensibly 3 pt. shooter than Galloway anyway and that was supposed to be Kop's role that he unfortunately didn't prove to be very good at. Galloway was great coming in off the bench defensively and creating energy on offense. Neither Dennis (not much offense) or McNeil (not much defense) offers a complete package either.
Bates and Galloway are both wings as is Kopp. Galloway often came in for Kopp.

Woodson clearly disagrees with your assessment of Dennis and McNeil as he is heavily recruiting them. He understands we have to upgrade the wing position. Galloway is not a player that would get big minutes on a good team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT