ADVERTISEMENT

IU and MI

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
miles ahead of everyone else in the B1G in recruiting. Former players, strong nba ties, and all in on NIL.

I have predicted this for awhile, but I am more sure of it now than ever. IU is in a tremendous place right now with NIL and recruiting. The administration deserves a shit ton of credit for not pulling the typical IU. Way to go Hoosiers.

miles ahead of everyone else in the B1G in recruiting. Former players, strong nba ties, and all in on NIL.

I have predicted this for awhile, but I am more sure of it now than ever. IU is in a tremendous place right now with NIL and recruiting. The administration deserves a shit ton of credit for not pulling the typical IU. Way to go Hoosiers.
Make no mistake, If any coach, athlete or administrator in the athletic office even peeps a bad word about Woodson or NIL they are gone! The rules have been thrown down. Fife f’ed up. Big time. If people in this group don’t take this staff and NIL seriously they need to go. The other recruits for the next 2-3 years are seriously looking now. IU has a shot at a top five class next year too. Maybe top 3.

Make no mistake, If any coach, athlete or administrator in the athletic office even peeps a bad word about Woodson or NIL they are gone! The rules have been thrown down. Fife f’ed up. Big time. If people in this group don’t take this staff and NIL seriously they need to go. The other recruits for the next 2-3 years are seriously looking now. IU has a shot at a top five class next year too. Maybe top 3.
If JHS and Malik's younger HS teammate decides to join them in BTown, that'd help us get to top 5!!

If JHS and Malik's younger HS teammate decides to join them in BTown, that'd help us get to top 5!!
After the new player rankings come out this summer Cupps will be top 100. Those 3 will be a top 5 class.

I'm a little disappointed in what appears to be the staffs lack of activity in the portal this year...but if TJD, X, Jordan, and Miller come back, obviously that'd be an answer on why they didn't go after more of the top transfer kids, harder than it appears they did.

Tough balancing act keeping lesser talented kids that provide other things for your program. As its obvious, to me, that even now, we'd be a better basketball team if a couple of guys like Broome, Dennis, Shannon, etc... came next year.

I hate to say it, but Illinois is doing pretty well too.

My head spins thinking of different starting combinations, how to keep everyone happy, etc.

Can you imagine being a Duke fan? Four 5 stars for 2022 plus 4 more next year. Other worldly recruiting.

Ya, them and OSU will do good as well. Maybe not miles ahead. But IU and MI for sure lead the pack.
I just wish we would land some shooters haha. Pumped about the commitment, but still worried about the outside shooting. McNeil is visiting this weekend.

Reactions: lifelonghoosier
I just wish we would land some shooters haha. Pumped about the commitment, but still worried about the outside shooting. McNeil is visiting this weekend.
And Woody didn't really go after that. Im guessing he is confident that Bates will come on in a big way. JG too.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I do think Bates will be a good shooter/scorer this year. It would be awesome if JG could thrive at the 3 and have a consistent jumper.
IF...big fat IF... Woody changes the offense up a little bit to open things up in the lane...I agree, I think Bates will benefit and will feel more comfortable and will shoot and make plays better. Jordan was a fairly consistent spot up shooter when he got consistent minutes. If he became a main rotation guy, his development will be huge to our success. Xavier and JHS are both capable shooters.

As has been pointed out by myself, and others, I think the key is more about how Woody has them playing, and not necessarily the specific players. They're ALL decent shooters in the big scheme of things. If Woody can run a more flowing, open offense, that puts more of them in good shooting rhythm situations, they'll all shoot better next year.

One other hidden benefit to opening the offense up more...heck even playing a modern 5 out read and react type offense, is more room for Race and TJD to make moves closer to the basket when they do post up. I'd LOVE to see us play a more modern 5 out offense, that involves a lot of movement, dribble penetration, and for sure dive cuts and duck ins by the bigs to post up. I bet both TJD and Race dramatically cut down on their missed "bunnies" in that type of offense.

I'm a little disappointed in what appears to be the staffs lack of activity in the portal this year...but if TJD, X, Jordan, and Miller come back, obviously that'd be an answer on why they didn't go after more of the top transfer kids, harder than it appears they did.

Tough balancing act keeping lesser talented kids that provide other things for your program. As its obvious, to me, that even now, we'd be a better basketball team if a couple of guys like Broome, Dennis, Shannon, etc... came next year.
IF TJD comes back we are full I believe. I do think if he did not come back somebody else would leave up front as we would have a pretty strong three man rotation to eat up all the minutes.

IF TJD comes back we are full I believe. I do think if he did not come back somebody else would leave up front as we would have a pretty strong three man rotation to eat up all the minutes.
We would be full, however they are still recruiting wings and know there is a chance TJD still comes back. If it were to happen, Duncomb seems the likely candidate to hit the portal although I could see Galloway as well.

Of course the shooting would be nice but if you have a better defender than Parker Stewart (good kid, just talking skill set), you likely don't give up near as many 3's as we did and our offense could be more than enough. The problem was our defense was good but was essentially 1-2 buckets below where they needed to be for what felt like 25% of our games. If our defense makes additional stops next season then suddenly those L's are W's and we look at things a little differently.

That is not to say we don't lack shooters. Having some shooters would certainly benefit us. I think we all can agree to that but I am just pointing out that there is a way to compete at the highest level without that. Virginia has shown that to be the case but Indiana simply wasn't quite at that level defensively yet.

Either way, I like what CMW has done so far! I just wouldn't count IU out from being a dominant team even if we don't land that shooter we are all hoping for......as long as we get a top notch defender.

My head spins thinking of different starting combinations, how to keep everyone happy, etc.

Can you imagine being a Duke fan? Four 5 stars for 2022 plus 4 more next year. Other worldly recruiting.
It will be interesting to see how a first time head coach manages that. Only one ball to go around. Although, I bet Duke is second to no one in the NIL game considering it’s a the money the alumni base has.

Of course the shooting would be nice but if you have a better defender than Parker Stewart (good kid, just talking skill set), you likely don't give up near as many 3's as we did and our offense could be more than enough. The problem was our defense was good but was essentially 1-2 buckets below where they needed to be for what felt like 25% of our games. If our defense makes additional stops next season then suddenly those L's are W's and we look at things a little differently.

That is not to say we lack shooters and having them would benefit us. I think we all can agree to that but I am just pointing out that there is a way to compete at the highest level without that. Virginia has shown that to be the case but Indiana simply wasn't quite at that level defensively yet.

Either way, I like what CMW has done so far!
Our defense was elite. I would not count on it getting better.

No, our defense was good but it was NOT elite. We were 84th in points allowed per game. 157th in 3% allowed. Our post defense (FG% against) was 21st. That was our bread and butter on defense but there was a misconception that our defense was "elite", it most certainly wasn't. It could be though.....

Reactions: IU2Bgood
No, our defense was good. but it was NOT elite. We were 84th in points allowed per game. 157th in 3% allowed. Our post defense (FG% against) was 21st. That was our bread and butter on defense but there was a misconception that our defense was "elite", it most certainly wasn't. It could be though.....
Points allowed has just as much to do with number of processions as it does how good your defense is. We were 24th in Kenpom for defensive efficiency. Will be tough for us to go higher than that. To truly compete at the national level we need our offensive efficiency (96th Kenpom) to improve significantly. We will be a contender when both are in the top 25.

Reactions: hoosier48
Points allowed has just as much to do with number of processions as it does how good your defense is. We were 24th in Kenpom for defensive efficiency. Will be tough for us to go higher than that. To truly compete at the national level we need our offensive efficiency (96th Kenpom) to improve significantly. We will be a contender when both are in the top 25.
Processions? As in funerals?

24th in defense efficiency to you is "elite"? ha You can't rise above 24th? What on earth are you talking about? When was 24th ever the top of the mountain?

Processions? As in funerals?

24th in defense efficiency to you is "elite"? ha You can't rise above 24th? What on earth are you talking about? When was 24th ever the top of the mountain?
Possessions*

Yes, 24th in defensive efficiency is borderline elite. The point is the offense is what is currently holding us back. 96th is really bad. Bates will help with that and Reneau should be a huge improvement at the backup 5 over Durr, so I would expect that number to go up.

It will be interesting to see how a first time head coach manages that. Only one ball to go around. Although, I bet Duke is second to no one in the NIL game considering it’s a the money the alumni base has.
My niece is a A&M alum..
I hear the Aggies have crazy cash going towards football....Hence the #1 recruiting class ..

Leal and Galloway aren't going anywhere tho
That’s fine. Like I said, Duncomb seems the most likely guy to get Creaned, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

I don’t expect Leal or Galloway to ever be a big part of the rotation though.

JG and Logan
Is it a foregone conclusion that Miller is coming back? Did I miss something where that's been decided? For THIS year's team, I'd rather have Miller than Logan. But not long term. I think Logan is going to be a really solid high major post man some day. Might as well be at IU.

Getting Dexter Dennis, would soften the blow if JG leaves. But man, I'd rather have both of them. Can you imagine how athletic that team would be?!

That’s fine. Like I said, Duncomb seems the most likely guy to get Creaned, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

I don’t expect Leal or Galloway to ever be a big part of the rotation though.
I still think Galloway can be a 5-7 minute a half guy at a minimum, especially on those nights when the energy just isn't there as a team.

Our KenPom defensive efficiency rating started fringing on elite. But we weren't an elite defensive team all year long. And even if we were, the St Mary's game exposed all of that pretty well. The memory of that game is one of the main reasons I would still love to get a commitment from Dexter Dennis. Get Dexter Dennis, and I bet our defense is top 10 in KenPom.

Our KenPom defensive efficiency rating started fringing on elite. But we weren't an elite defensive team all year long. And even if we were, the St Mary's game exposed all of that pretty well. The memory of that game is one of the main reasons I would still love to get a commitment from Dexter Dennis. Get Dexter Dennis, and I bet our defense is top 10 in KenPom.
Let’s say we hold St Mary’s to 70 instead of 82…. We still lose by 17. Offense was a bigger issue than defense in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT