ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Gruden, Chris Creighton, Randal-El

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Those 3 would be a major upgrade over Tom Allen.
Gruden - Home Run Hire, Super Bowl ring as Head Coach, show the ring and upgrade recruiting, can prepare well and be a great in-game head coach, NFL connections, Big Splash hire IU need to get out on the map after a century of floundering in the woods.
Creighton - Top MAC coach, offensive mind, Midwest roots to recruit
Randal-El - Would garner the most immediate NIL money to buy the best recruits & NFL ties to hire a competent staff, alumni to energize the base, former NFL player and IU star instant National Name recognition for program exposure and recruiting

Gruden - Home Run Hire, recruit,coach, NFL connections, Big Splash hire IU need to get out on the map after a century of floundering in the woods.
Randal-El - Would garner the most immediate NIL money to buy the best recruits & NFL ties to hire a competent staff, alumni to energize the base, former NFL player and IU star instant National Name recognition for program exposure and recruiting
No, no, no. I'll give you 3. Cignotti, Fritz, Hermann

Gruden - Home Run Hire, Super Bowl ring as Head Coach, show the ring and upgrade recruiting, can prepare well and be a great in-game head coach, NFL connections, Big Splash hire IU need to get out on the map after a century of floundering in the woods.
Bill Belichick would also be a home run hire - and just about as likely to be IU coach as Gruden.

No, no, no. I'll give you 3. Cignotti, Fritz, Hermann
Why do you disagree? He said they would be a major upgrade over CTA. Which of the three do you NOT feel are an upgrade over CTA?

He did not say they are the most likely to come to IU. He did not say they are the BEST upgrades over CTA. He did not say they are the only upgrades.

Why do you disagree? He said they would be a major upgrade over CTA. Which of the three do you NOT feel are an upgrade over CTA?
He also said Chris Creighton was the top MAC coach when he is 31-47 in conference games alone. I could easily argue he's a downgrade from CTA but certainly he is not the top MAC coach. Jason Candle is 43-19 in the same conference games. Who do you think is the top MAC coach?

Gruden has a past that just won't fly at IU.

Reactions: Vern Pain

He did not say they are the most likely to come to IU. He did not say they are the BEST upgrades over CTA. He did not say they are the only upgrades.
That's a mighty low bar.

Reactions: YOTHN
Gruden has a past that just won't fly at IU.
Why? Gruden coached well and never abused any players like Wilson. He has a Super Bowl ring. Do you think NFL guys would have loved playing for Gruden if he was inwardly racist? Absolutely not! Sometimes locker room banter on a professional team can be just good natured ribbing without taking the words literally. Gruden has IU ties and would stay if he was successful if he was hired. IU hiring Jon Gruden would be a 500 foot upper deck bomb to shock the rest of college football.

Last edited:
What's the fascination with Gruden other than winning a Super Bowl almost 25 years ago? His return stint to the NFL was a complete nightmare.
Taking away any personal reasons I believe its unrealistic and just going off why would we hire someone like a Gruden....

IU could use the vast amount of publicity that would come with a hire of that caliber. I'm not saying he's who IU should want considering his past but IU would get a LOT of attention and like it or not, attention is good for a program. Conference contraction is a real thing and IU needs to show they mean business. A guy like Gruden would draw attention to IU football like it hasn't had and put some more seats in the stands.

There's this thing called the internet. You may have heard about it on the radio.
The issue is these names are not known nationally to the general public and will create no buzz for the IU football program. IU needs a huge name hire to bring national exposure and buzz to the program to bring in recruits and energize the fan base and bring in NIL money to get the best recruits. I was at the IU vs MSU Final IU home game and it was embarrassing how many empty seats in Memorial Stadium there were. Winning football puts butts in the seats. Hiring another Tom Allen just sets us back another half a decade or more. IU needs a big name hire this time.

Reactions: bang63
Taking away any personal reasons I believe its unrealistic and just going off why would we hire someone like a Gruden....

IU could use the vast amount of publicity that would come with a hire of that caliber. I'm not saying he's who IU should want considering his past but IU would get a LOT of attention and like it or not, attention is good for a program. Conference contraction is a real thing and IU needs to show they mean business. A guy like Gruden would draw attention to IU football like it hasn't had and put some more seats in the stands.
Attention? Did ASU draw a lot of attention when they brought Herm Edwards out of the studio in Bristol? Jon Gruden was a good pro football coach two decades ago.

The issue is these names are not known nationally to the general public and will create no buzz for the IU football program. IU needs a huge name hire to bring national exposure and buzz to the program to bring in recruits and energize the fan base and bring in NIL money to get the best recruits. I was at the IU vs MSU Final IU home game and it was embarrassing how many empty seats in Memorial Stadium there were. Winning football puts butts in the seats. Hiring another Tom Allen just sets us back another half a decade or more. IU needs a big name hire this time.
So you listed Chris Creighton and Antwaan Randle-El as your 2nd and 3rd option to generate buzz?

Can’t argue that IU needs a big name hire to create some buzz & enthusiasm. Problem is… big names won’t take the IU job - it is career suicide.

Reactions: DCDAVID and YOTHN
Why? Gruden cosched well and ever abused any players like Wilson. He has a Super Bowl ring. Do you think NFL guys would have loved playing for Gruden if he was inwardly racist. No sometimes locker room banter on a professional team can be good natured ribbing without taking the words literally.
Racist. misogynistic, and homophobic emails. No matter what you and I think of them, they aren't gonna fly at IU.

He also said Chris Creighton was the top MAC coach when he is 31-47 in conference games alone. I could easily argue he's a downgrade from CTA but certainly he is not the top MAC coach. Jason Candle is 43-19 in the same conference games. Who do you think is the top MAC coach?

Toledo and EMU are not analogous in historical success or resources.

Toledo is one of the blue bloods in the MAC conference. EMU has historically been one of the downtrodden. In fact, early in Creighton’s tenure EMU considered dropping down a level or two.

They will go to their third straight bowl game this year. Many of his losses were in the first two years of the rebuild. He’s taken them to unprecedented heights given their historical trajectory.

I’d encourage you to read this article then see if you feel the same way:

Reactions: BayernFan and 76-1

Toledo is one of the blue bloods in the MAC conference. EMU has historically been one of the downtrodden. In fact, early in Creighton’s tenure EMU considered dropping down a level or two.

They will go to their third straight bowl game this year. Many of his losses were in the first two years of the rebuild. He’s taken them to unprecedented heights given their historical trajectory.

Winning at a blue blood is no given. still have to get the right guys and coach them up. ask Mike Davis, Dan Dakich, Tom Crean, Archie Miller, Mike Woodson. Ask any coach UCLA has had since Sam Gilbert--I mean Wooden.

On second thought, don't ask Dakich anything.

Winning at a blue blood is no given. still have to get the right guys and coach them up. ask Mike Davis, Dan Dakich, Tom Crean, Archie Miller, Mike Woodson. Ask any coach UCLA has had since Sam Gilbert--I mean Wooden.

On second thought, don't ask Dakich anything.

Straw—meet—man.

Attention? Did ASU draw a lot of attention when they brought Herm Edwards out of the studio in Bristol? Jon Gruden was a good pro football coach two decades ago.
Correct. What does the attention have to do with the outcome? You act as if there are guaranteed outcomes with some of these hires, when it's a gamble. What can be guaranteed is having a splash hire that brings the university attention. Again, I am not declaring a want for Gruden, just explaining that is the reason a program like IU would go that direction and I would rather we go that route than waste another 4 years paying a MAC re-tread. That sounds.......redundant.

? The year before Creighton arrived at Eastern Michigan, 2012, they won more games than they did the first year of Creighton's stint. The year before that, 2011, Eastern Michigan was 6-6. So although they certainly weren't great for awhile, much like IU.......they still aren't. I am lost at where this excitement even begins?

Again, he is 31 and 47 in the MAC conference? Are you stating that after 10 seasons at the helm, we should still consider Eastern Michigan to be a garbage football program, but the coach is somehow good? He has spent 10 seasons with Eastern Michigan. Do we need to wait for 20 seasons until recruits start to believe he's a good coach and we can compare him to the successes of Toledo? If after 10 years, they're still middling about at .500 each season (1-4 in bowl games and likely to be 1-5 after this years), I don't think that will solve IU's problems. That is NOT the splash hire, bring back CTA in that instance.

? The year before Creighton arrived at Eastern Michigan, 2012, they won more games than they did the first year of Creighton's stint. The year before that, 2011, Eastern Michigan was 6-6. So although they certainly weren't great for awhile, much like IU.......they still aren't. I am lost at where this excitement even begins?

Again, he is 31 and 47 in the MAC conference? Are you stating that after 10 seasons at the helm, we should still consider Eastern Michigan to be a garbage football program, but the coach is somehow good? He has spent 10 seasons with Eastern Michigan. Do we need to wait for 20 seasons until recruits start to believe he's a good coach and we can compare him to the successes of Toledo? If after 10 years, they're still middling about at .500 each season (1-4 in bowl games and likely to be 1-5 after this years), I don't think that will solve IU's problems. That is NOT the splash hire, bring back CTA in that instance.
Right. Some of these names I've heard mentioned. If that's the best we can do, Why make a change in the first place.

Did you read the article?

Right. Some of these names I've heard mentioned. If that's the best we can do, Why make a change in the first place.
Mainly because none of these guys are 9-27 over the past three years or won only 3 conference games in that same span.

There are several inaccuracies in your latest post:

1. Chris Creighton's first year coaching at EMU was 2014 not 2013 as your post indicated.
2. Chris Creighton's record (2-10) in his first year (2014) was the same--not worse--than his predecessor's (Ron English) record (2-10) during his last year (2013) at EMU as your post indicated.
3. Ron English's record in (2012) was also 2-10 not 6-6 as you indicated.

EMU has a historical winning percentage of .333. Prior to Creighton's arrival, EMU's last winning season was 1995 (6-5); three winning seasons total since 1975 (1977, 1987, and 1995) and one bowl game.

Since Creighton's arrival, they've had four winning seasons (the potential for a fifth winning season this year), and they've earned a fifth bowl appearance under his watch. This is unprecedented success for EMU.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't remember what Gruden said or did to get in trouble, but I bet competing coaches would bring it up to recruits and the media would quickly remind the rest of us.

There are several inaccuracies in your latest post:

1. Chris Creighton's first year coaching at EMU was 2014 not 2013 as your post indicated.
2. Chris Creighton's record (2-10) in his first year (2014) was the same--not worse--than his predecessor's (Ron English) record (2-10) during his last year (2013) at EMU as your post indicated.
3. Ron English's record in (2012) was also 2-10 not 6-6 as you indicated.

EMU has a historical winning percentage of .333. Prior to Creighton's arrival, EMU's last winning season was 1995 (6-5); three winning seasons total since 1975 (1977, 1987, and 1995) and one bowl game.

Since Creighton's arrival, they've had four winning seasons (the potential for a fifth winning season this year), and they've earned a fifth bowl appearance under his watch. This is unprecedented success for EMU.
Haha He was hired in 2013, but you are right in only one fact, 2014 was his first season. Did you think you made a big point by saying he TIED Ron English in his first year?

What did Chris Creighton do his second season then? Oh yeah, he won just 1 game....so in 2 seasons, he won 1 more game than Ron English did in 1 season. Quick, hire this guy!

Again, being .500 in the MAC isn't the stepping stone to the Power 4. It's merely a sign you belong at the IU of the MAC. Merely making a bowl game and finishing under .500 in doing so, isn't all you're making it out to be. I repeat....give me CTA over that nonsense.

Reactions: nichlee
As long as the guy has a solid resume and comes in with an attitude, he'll make enough of a 'splash'.

The one thing I loved about Coach Wilson was the attitude. He wouldn't hear 'Indiana has never won anything'. Like when he ripped on the radio guys who were joking about us right before they had him on.

The right coach just needs to hit the ground running and hustle and shake the bushes along with his assistants. Splash won't have much to do with it. No current recruit would say "ooh Herm Edwards" or whoever the current guy of that level is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT