ADVERTISEMENT

Impeachment=Violence

Well, at least for the House, the Constitution (I beleive Article 1 Sect. 2) only directs that the House may choose its leader. If, in fact, there were more than two major parties there would still be an election for Speaker and that person may not come from a party holding majority but rather a simple plurality (or the two smaller factions could join to agree on a Leader to usurp the larger faction). I think the same is true for the Senate based on my reading of Article 1 Sect 3. Agree mostly on the presidency b/c of the nuclear option of having the president chosen by the House but, if there were to be several parties, the congress would revert to looking at LOT like a parliamentary system even if not named as such.
Of course the more basic difference between our system and parliament is that we vote for specifically named candidates whereas they vote for the party and then the party selects the people to hold the office. You could easily argue that Trump never would’ve become president in a parliamentary system. Or Prime Minister or whatever you want to call it.

It strikes me that a parliamentary system would polarize us even more although it would allow for representatives of smaller causes like the Green party and so forth.

My main point though is that our system is sort of a pendulum. If one party goes too far in one direction the pendulum swings swings back in the other direction. It doesn’t seem like the worst thing in the world. To me the problem is dishonesty. Lack of statesmanship.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT