ADVERTISEMENT

I recently returned to the Republican party.

Personally, I don't see it as whether or not I like or even understand people being LBGTQ or anything else (I don't hold that decision against them). But I think they have that right to be LBGT or Q without discrimination.

So its not about being fans of the LBGTQ community per se.
Exactly you don't have to be "fans" "supporters" or "believers" in their plight but you do not alienate them from your party. Why would one's religious preference cause anyone to say they can "start their own party"?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
If Hickory is looking for a girlfriend look no further than woke white liberal college women. They are the wokesters of the world.

eractivePolls

@IAPolls2022

·
1h

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Biden is handling his job as president? (NPR Poll) Overall: 38/53 Dem: 77/14 GOP: 3/93 Indie: 32/58 Midwest: 37/56 White men college: 38/59 White women college: 61/34 Parents: 38/55 Suburban men: 40/56 Suburban women: 55/39

I didn't take his statement as derogatory of Christianity writ large. I saw it as resenting the co-opting of religion & the political party.
Christianity is one of the world's great faiths and belief systems. Jesus was arguably the most influential figure in human history, and the gospels provide an outstanding template for exemplary living.

Sadly, though, and like other religions, Christianity has been bastardized for a variety of agendas and, yes, it has been inappropriately co-opted.

"Christian" Nationalism is misguided and dangerous.

Exactly you don't have to be "fans" "supporters" or "believers" in their plight but you do not alienate them from your party. Why would one's religious preference cause anyone to say they can "start their own party"?

I am just suggesting for the same reason people have told Aloha and Twenty they don't fit the GOP and should start a new party.

Both parties SUCK at saying there is one party line and one must toe it. The parties should be diverse. But someone who is pro-choice is as welcome in the GOP as someone who is pro-life is in the Democratic party.

Christianity is one of the world's great faiths and belief systems. Jesus was arguably the most influential figure in human history, and the gospels provide an outstanding template for exemplary living.

Sadly, though, and like other religions, Christianity has been bastardized for a variety of agendas and, yes, it has been inappropriately co-opted.

"Christian" Nationalism is misguided and dangerous.
I agree with the first paragraph completely.
I agree with the second paragraph if you add the words "at times" on the end of the last sentence.

I don't know if I agree with the last sentence. Just like the first two paragraphs, the intentions of most Christians are usually, in their belief, for creating a better world according to the teachings of Jesus. Not all Chrisian Nationalism is bad. It's the ones that take the hardline "my way or the highway" approach that are the dangerous ones (IMO). They are the ones that can't recognize the hate that they are spreading in the process of trying to "win".

Reactions: CradleofBasketball
Someone doesn’t have to be Christian to oppose abortion (what a silly thought). Unless, you’re inadvertently arguing morality can only come from a deity. Is it ok for an atheist to condemn murder? Or does that position make someone a member of the Christian Right Party.
That’s another thing I was going to mention.

I agree with the first paragraph completely.
I agree with the second paragraph if you add the words "at times" on the end of the last sentence.

I don't know if I agree with the last sentence. Just like the first two paragraphs, the intentions of most Christians are usually, in their belief, for creating a better world according to the teachings of Jesus. Not all Chrisian Nationalism is bad. It's the ones that take the hardline "my way or the highway" approach that are the dangerous ones (IMO). They are the ones that can't recognize the hate that they are spreading in the process of trying to "win".

I don't know if Christian nationalism is bad, but I'm not sure there is support for it. I am fairly certain there is nowhere in the Bible that says, "It is OK if people of other nations suffer since they are not in your nation".

Reading Tuchman's book on the middle ages, it is amazing what all has changed. For example, at that time it was a sin to boast that your product was better than someone else's. That was being prideful.
That thought would destroy modern consumerism. Heck, far more recent, Lincoln tore his name off his ballot to show people that he did not vote for himself as that would be prideful.

Of course, it was popular to wear sackcloth and self-flagellate in the middle ages to prove one was righteous. Some modern movements believe one must have conspicuous consumption to show God favors them. Amazingly, in France in the Middle Ages, even working extra hours to make more money was considered sinful (though I am not sure she said which sin, maybe greed).

So I am not sure which of the myriad of interpretations is right. I have mine. It may be Christian Nationalism is the right interpretation, I'm just not sure I see the support for it.

I don't know if Christian nationalism is bad, but I'm not sure there is support for it. I am fairly certain there is nowhere in the Bible that says, "It is OK if people of other nations suffer since they are not in your nation".

Reading Tuchman's book on the middle ages, it is amazing what all has changed. For example, at that time it was a sin to boast that your product was better than someone else's. That was being prideful.
That thought would destroy modern consumerism. Heck, far more recent, Lincoln tore his name off his ballot to show people that he did not vote for himself as that would be prideful.

Of course, it was popular to wear sackcloth and self-flagellate in the middle ages to prove one was righteous. Some modern movements believe one must have conspicuous consumption to show God favors them. Amazingly, in France in the Middle Ages, even working extra hours to make more money was considered sinful (though I am not sure she said which sin, maybe greed).

So I am not sure which of the myriad of interpretations is right. I have mine. It may be Christian Nationalism is the right interpretation, I'm just not sure I see the support for it.
Belief is a powerful force. It can be used for the right and wrong reasons. It's just as true now as it was in the middle ages.
You just can't let it indoctrinate you to the point where you can't recognize the harm you could be causing.

If you really want to see Christian Nationalism in its darkest form, take a look at the Netflix documentary Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey

I cannot fathom a pastor defending Trump.
There are a clear set of rules when determining whether piety is supposed to be figured into your voting decision.

Rule #1. If the Republican is a decent person and religious, then you should decide based on whether a candidate has a personal relationship with Jesus and vote Republican. (George W. Bush)
Rule #2. If the Republican candidate is a decent person and not religious and competing against a churchgoing Democrat, then you should decide based on whether the Democrat's pastor says uncomfortable things and/or whether the Democrat is pro-life or not and vote Republican. (John McCain)
Rule #3. If the Republican candidate has no personality traits consistent with the teachings of Christ (e.g., humility, compassion, generosity) and the Democrat candidate does based on personal religious beliefs, just remember that God used the worst people for his purposes and vote Republican anyway. (Donald Trump)

I plan to attend my county convention and speak my mind. My platform is we are not a Christian right party and if you want to act as one by making abortion an issue that is a game changer at every election level from the local to the national is absurd. I resent you asking school board candidates and officers running for sheriff if they are pro-life. I am sick of primaries where we get the worst candidates due to need to pander to get elected. I am sick of Republicans defending Donald Trump. Just construct a timeline of his administration and look at the resignations. His use of twitter is not a way presidents should communicate as a world leader. Great article from the Pittsburg News. https://www.post-gazette.com/opinio...versary-republican-party/stories/202206060089 Call me a rino. I will let history judge my position. If you want a Christian Right Party, please leave and our party will be infected with your evangelical virus no more
Well cool. Just to refresh my memory, you are the Rep from Illinois that is on the 06Jan committee and not running for re-election, right?
It's a good time to come back now!

Yet he was ahead when the counting stopped... hmm
Is this VPM or another Van (previously unknown) who is attempting to revise history?

In a state like PA, where VPM lives btw... it was well known that the early/mail vote far exceeded the election day vote. We also knew that it was overwhelmingly going to favor Biden, since Trump and the PA GOP went out of their way to demonize the mail/absentee vote and basically urged their voters not to make use of it...

Had PA done what other states like FL and OH did and counted their mail/early votes first and released them, Biden would have had an insurmountable lead and the sheer number of outstanding votes would have been insufficient for Trump to catch up. That's why early returns in both OH and FL showed Biden in the lead, but Trump took the lead and won by winning the election day votes. Biden's lead in those two states of OH and FL was far less significant, and both states had GOP forces encouraging their constituents to vote by mail. Heck Trump himself voted absentee in FL...

But that was not the approach the GOP took in PA, and Biden even won the early vote in red counties that ended up voting for Trump. So whichever votes were counted first would determine who would be in the lead, and the GOP tried to con stupid people into believing that Trump having the lead in election day voting somehow meant that the MILLIONS of people who voted for Biden BEFORE election day somehow didn't count.

Again if the PA GOP hadn't tried to play the Trump con game and had allowed the votes cast first to be counted and recorded FIRST, there never would have been all these fake claims. Biden's lead in the early vote was massive...Had those votes been counted first in PA, Biden would have been declared the winner in PA on election night...

Ahhh, so this is a troll thread.

Got it.

Sorry I wasted my time responding.
So, you do not think that a large portion of the newly switched party in the last 40 years yellow dog Southern Baptists believe that we are a Christian nation. They believe that the founders set up a Christian nation. Dangerous interpretation of the Constitution in my opinion.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
So, you do not think that a large portion of the newly switched party in the last 40 years yellow dog Southern Baptists believe that we are a Christian nation. They believe that the founders set up a Christian nation. Dangerous interpretation of the Constitution in my opinion.
umm I'll vote.
No. We are a nation founded on the principles, all of them. The founders did NOT set up a christian nation. I'm also now part time living in the South, I don't get that feeling here either. Principles, yes, Constraints, NO.
I've now went 6" over my Skis so Peace andTrumplove Brother! Good luck.

Ahh, now it’s the southern baptists. Before it was “the Christian Right”. Your goal post moving adds a little clarity.

You still haven’t explained why the “Christian rights” long-standing opposition to abortion should give way to you in the Republican Party, or why opposition to abortion has to be rooted in religion at all.

To be honest, you’re coming off as more than a little bigoted.

Ahh, now it’s the southern baptists. Before it was “the Christian Right”. Your goal post moving adds a little clarity.

You still haven’t explained why the “Christian rights” long-standing opposition to abortion should give way to you in the Republican Party, or why opposition to abortion has to be rooted in religion at all.

Whiskey and misguided idealism can be a strange combination..

Reactions: Ladoga
Those aren’t comparable as lifestyles. Well, it depends on what you believe. If you believe people wake up one day and decide to be gay, then I suppose you could compare that with religion. I believe people are born gay or whatever else. No one is born christian or muslim. You might be born to parents who believe one way or the other and raise you as such, but eventually you make the conscious choice to adhere to those beliefs.
Lifestyles …each and every one you mentioned.

My problem is abortion is a litmus test pass fail. You can call me all the names you want. You can say I have no business in the Republican Party. Go back to the FOP and do as you are told.

I am just suggesting for the same reason people have told Aloha and Twenty they don't fit the GOP and should start a new party.

Both parties SUCK at saying there is one party line and one must toe it. The parties should be diverse. But someone who is pro-choice is as welcome in the GOP as someone who is pro-life is in the Democratic party.
You have that completely bass ackwards.

Both those guys claim anyone who backs Trump is a RINO. Aloha, at least, loves that terms and claims to be the true Republican - Trump supporters are only cult members according to him.

His was a cry for attention and to get responses.

Who give a fig how he feels about Christianity? These people who actively denounce Christianity and its influence on the creation of this country's values deserve to be ignored.

You might want to quit while you're behind.

Lifestyles …each and every one you mentioned.
Did I say they weren’t lifestyles? I say they aren’t a good comparisons. One is by conscious choice (religious beliefs), the other is how you were born (gay, straight, whatever). I’ve always been naturally attracted to women. I made a conscious choice to no longer buy into any religious horseshit. That goes for all religions.

Did I say they weren’t lifestyles? I say they aren’t a good comparisons. One is by conscious choice (religious beliefs), the other is how you were born (gay, straight, whatever). I’ve always been naturally attracted to women. I made a conscious choice to no longer buy into any religious horseshit. That goes for all religions.
Lifestyle choices

Reactions: DANC
You’re the one trying to kick people from the party, not me.

What an odd thread.
I see it more as outsized influence. Back in the day, Reagan and the GOP kept the Moral Majority at bay. They calculated that the MM folks were voting Republican regardless of how little weight you gave them. And they were right.

Reactions: larsIU
As with any group, some Christians give the rest a bad name.

Would be nice if everyone understood what it means to separate church and state.
Start with yourself.

The 'separation' is a myth.

Go to DC...

Read the Christian verse on many public buildings...

Take RZ with you...

Start with yourself.

Go to DC...

Take RZ with you...
Thomas Jefferson signed a treaty to end the first Barbary War where it said that the US is not and was not a Christian Nation. Look it up.

Reactions: cosmickid
Start with yourself.

Go to DC...

Take RZ with you...
It’s no myth. More founding fathers were willing to admit to being deists than current congressmen would.

Today, they’d be agnostic at best.

Reactions: cosmickid
It’s no myth. More founding fathers were willing to admit to being deists than current congressmen would.

Today, they’d be agnostic at best.
Yep, if they were founding a Christian Nation, how many times would they mention God or Jesus in the Constitution? Maybe Mas can count how many times they did.

Yep, if they were founding a Christian Nation, how many times would they mention God or Jesus in the Constitution? Maybe Mas can count how many times they did.
What religion was FDR talking about?

“Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our Nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity,” said Roosevelt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT