ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll make this real easy.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
When the coaching change occurs. And it will occur.

HIRE LAVALL JORDAN. It’s time for IU to hire a Butler coach. Lavall has done a good job and just signed their best recruiting class in school history.

HIRE LAVALL JORDAN. It’s time for IU to hire a Butler coach. Lavall has done a good job and just signed their best recruiting class in school history.
Butler is a WAY better program than Indiana is and has been for some time. Over the past few years I have quickly become a BU fan while my interest in IU has fallen way off. Ironic that these two are playing at the same time, and as I've flipped channels watching the games, it's clear to see how basketball should be played Bulldog style!

Reactions: IUgradman
Chris Beard it’s so easy it’s laughable give him $8million or continue with Mediocrity!

I do agree it will be made its just a matter of when they pull the trigger. IU tends to wait too long but this clearly is not going in the right direction.

Reactions: iulb
It all goes back to the IU brass. Do you really have faith in them? They will not go after a big name proven coach. They will go after the mid tier flavor of the week because they made a run in the tournament.

It all goes back to the IU brass. Do you really have faith in them? They will not go after a big name proven coach. They will go after the mid tier flavor of the week because they made a run in the tournament.
This question always goes unanswered, but what big name was iu supposed to hire when they hired archie? The guy was clearly one of the hottest names in coaching and it was universally depicted as a good hire at the time. Who were they supposed to realistically get?

Harry Hondo said:

No, no, no. Thad had great recruiting, but his teams underachieved. Why do you think OSU cut him lose?

Thad Matta is a far better coach than anyone we have had since Knight.
[/quote]
Nope. He was dirty, but Sampson can coach and was the best we’ve had since Knight. In fact, Sampson was better than Knight was in the late 90’s.

Reactions: Bill4411
This question always goes unanswered, but what big name was iu supposed to hire when they hired archie? The guy was clearly one of the hottest names in coaching and it was universally depicted as a good hire at the time. Who were they supposed to realistically get?
Mack or marshall.

Reactions: iulb

Shoulders wont allow any big name to be hired. He’s stated before that he doesn’t ever want a coach bigger than the program again. You need to get rid of him and McRobbie before you even think about a change or it will be pointless.

Reactions: IU 4 LIFE and iulb
10 years too late to hire Matta . Ohio st teams were just terrible his last 3 years. Maybe a year or 2 too early for Jordan.

Knowing our luck, we'd get the Butler coach that breaks the string of coaches that continue their success after leaving for a new job. Until their last two coaches, the pattern seemed to be every other coach was successful at their new gig after leaving the Bulldogs. Here's what I mean:
Barry Collier: laid the foundation for Butler to become what it is; failed at Nebraska
Thad Matta: Successful at Butler, Xavier and Ohio St
Todd Lickliter: Successful at Butler; horrible at Iowa
Brad Stevens: We saw what he did at Butler; fairly successful at Boston
Chris Holtmann: Good at Butler; good so far at Ohio St

Holtman and Mack both struggling. All hired at the same time as Archie. I think our fan base oversimplifies coaching. I think it’s very difficult to coach young men today and it shows with how up and down teams have been.

Reactions: ams66
I'll give you Marshall as a guy i would have put ahead of archie in the search.

In mack's previous 5 seasons when iu was hiring a coach, he went 17-14, 21-13, 23-14, 28-6, and 24-14. That's what you were looking for at the time?
He won in the big East. I did not want a mid major flavor of the month

IU should have hired Steve Alfred with Tom Cloverdale and Kurt Hastings as his assistants! They could game plan and take recruits to Mustards!

IU isn’t getting any big name coach to come here, so people can put that out of their heads. We are not getting the guys like Chris Beard, who is signed through 2025, at more than Archie annually.
IU will clearly be in the market for the mid-major or Group of 5 type coach on the next attempt, again.

The same “Bigfoot type” sightings will be made. Somebody will see Donovan again or Brad Stevens walking down Kirkwood.

One thing is clear:

As this season begins to spiral, the attendance will drop dramatically and the environment at Assembly Hall will get ugly beyond belief.

You guys are having a silly discussion. You don't know that the rest of the season will suck. You don't know that next year will suck. You don't know that recruiting is dead. You don't know that attendance is going to "drop dramatically." You are vocal, but you do not represent the majority of the Indiana fan base. There is no chance that Archie will be fired this year and almost no chance next year because the university will not eat that many millions in a buy out. There are probably is no university that would.

Reactions: hurryin76hoosier
And by the way, it's Tom Coverdale and Kirk Haston. You'd think intelligent IU fans would know this.

I'm relatively sure he was joking...all three names were misspelled.
Could be, and if he was joking, I apologize. . I skipped over Alford as I didn't think it was worth the effort. I've just seen that mistake on Coverdale's and Haston's names so many times it's like nails on a chalkboard at this point. ;)

You guys are having a silly discussion. You don't know that the rest of the season will suck. You don't know that next year will suck. You don't know that recruiting is dead. You don't know that attendance is going to "drop dramatically." You are vocal, but you do not represent the majority of the Indiana fan base. There is no chance that Archie will be fired this year and almost no chance next year because the university will not eat that many millions in a buy out. There are probably is no university that would.

You are right: nobody knows the future, positive or negative.

However, we all know the present and the past with this staff. They say the best predictor of future events is past performance. Based on the body of work. It looks bleak as hell.

I get the sense that Archie is more of a friend/ chaperone for this squad. Nothing improves. Nobody meets consequences for poor performance. Guys who are playing well get substituted for some confounding lineup.

I hope you are right, but this team doesn’t even play hard. It doesn’t even take talent to demand 100% effort.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
IU isn’t getting any big name coach to come here, so people can put that out of their heads. We are not getting the guys like Chris Beard, who is signed through 2025, at more than Archie annually.
IU will clearly be in the market for the mid-major or Group of 5 type coach on the next attempt, again.

The same “Bigfoot type” sightings will be made. Somebody will see Donovan again or Brad Stevens walking down Kirkwood.

One thing is clear:

As this season begins to spiral, the attendance will drop dramatically and the environment at Assembly Hall will get ugly beyond belief.
Nebraska got Hoiberg......clearly a guy with major conference and nba experience

Is Thad ready to get back into coaching?
That's who I'd want, someone realistic and proven at this level. If not that, go cheap with someone who has fire and something to prove like a Fife, no more throwing the kitchen sink at mid-major one hit wonders, the flavor of one year

Was RMK a household name before IU hired him? Probably that is the level where the next search should begin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT