ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson’s plans

IUHoopster

Junior
Dec 21, 2001
Southern Indiana
are to stay at IU as long as he believes he can make a difference, which he believes he can do.

Mike Woodson was asked about how long he wants to continue coaching:

“I came back to try to put this team in the best position possible. I’m going to continue to do that. I’m almost 66 but I feel good and I still move around and I think that I still think well in terms of the game and I still think I can teach the game. I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”

Reminder: Every single prognosticator projected IU to be at the bottom of the BIG this year, and they were right. Last year, we were ready to give him a multi-year extension, and this year, we're ready to terminate him. If I were a seasoned, successful coach looking for a final blue-blood home, I'd look hard at how the school manages down years. I wouldn't say I like his coaching style, but we made the bed we need to sleep in.

Reminder: Every single prognosticator projected IU to be at the bottom of the BIG this year, and they were right. Last year, we were ready to give him a multi-year extension, and this year, we're ready to terminate him. If I were a seasoned, successful coach looking for a final blue-blood home, I'd look hard at how the school manages down years. I wouldn't say I like his coaching style, but we made the bed we need to sleep in.
After two decades....its seems we don't know how to make a bed.

are to stay at IU as long as he believes he can make a difference, which he believes he can do.

“I came back to try to put this team in the best position possible. I’m going to continue to do that. I’m almost 66 but I feel good and I still move around and I think that I still think well in terms of the game and I still think I can teach the game. I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”
my mom is 87 and still moves around, could probably beat him in a race. don't know if that should be a qualifier to coach at IU.

that's bullshit.

The guy is delusional..Plain to see we're going to go threw another year of junk basketball..
When I see ESPN break down UCONN offense which is superb..And I see Indiana's..?
It's light years behind..Maybe Mike should call Hurley 📞..
I barely care about this program after 50 years of being a fan. And spending tons of cash on tickets.
Until he's gone... Indiana can't move forward..imo

Oh so he calls his own shots? Cool. I guess him and Quinn are super special for each other. Leave that for water cooler. "Man i'm just here for these kids man". Umm, you're not.

Totally delusional and arrogant. This will not end well.

I am not going anywhere he says like we are supposed to be excited by it. He lives in a massive bubble.

I looked back...Big Ten pre-season poll had us 6th. I think many here had wildly higher expectations than that, but 6th is what I saw for the OFFICIAL B1G poll, at least.

The guy is delusional..Plain to see we're going to go threw another year of junk basketball..
When I see ESPN break down UCONN offense which is superb..And I see Indiana's..?
I barely care about this program after 50 years of being a fan. And spending tons of cash on tickets.
I agree 110%. I am with you.

I looked back...Big Ten pre-season poll had us 6th. I think many here had wildly higher expectations than that, but 6th is what I saw for the OFFICIAL B1G poll, at least.
Some people were talking sweet sixeteen or elite 8 claiming his team would be better than last years team.

I would have loved for him to answer the question with something like this… “I’m an Indiana kid, and, of course, I’m a former player. So first and foremost, my loyalty and love lies with Indiana University. That said, if my being the coach here hurts the school more than it helps, which will be evaluated by myself and Scott at the end of the year…and if it is felt that necessary adjustments can’t be made by myself and my staff… I will have no issue with stepping aside.“

Any good coach would never fathom being ranked #100 at IU. They know they’re good and don’t think they would ever be in such a situation.

Most coaches will look at IU as pretty reasonable. UK cut Billy Clyde after two years. UNC cut Doherty after three years. Those two coaches had much better teams than #100.

I enjoy watching Barr Reeve because those kids are disciplined and move with a purpose.

Some people were talking sweet sixeteen or elite 8 claiming his team would be better than last years team.
When we lost Xavier the dreams of being better than last year went out the window. However, we should still make the damn tourney, not be on the bubble for the NIT with the talent on this team. Ware was way better than expected and so was Malik. Many say that it is one of if not the best front court pairing in college bball. Guards are easily one of the worst.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Eh, maybe. But, if you take a second and look at things from a long-term rebuilding effort, we need to acknowledge that short-term coaching job merry-go-rounds do nothing for us when it comes to attracting top talent.
actually, that is false also, most have recruited well their 1st couple of years, it's when they are lame ducks the recruiting goes down. A new coach brings hope. Woodson is in over his head it's obvious, he got lucky as hell with Reneau and MM overall he's been a piss poor recruiter.

When was the up year?

actually, that is false also, most have recruited well their 1st couple of years, it's when they are lame ducks the recruiting goes down. A new coach brings hope. Woodson is in over his head it's obvious, he got lucky as hell with Reneau and MM overall he's been a piss poor recruiter.
Wait just a minute there kurt! You know damn well he's assembled the absolute best recruiting staff in the country! Those jokers don't seem to know a single thing about coaching, but we've been told they are exceptional recruiters! Nevermind the fact that between the 3 of them, they were only able to land a single freaking player so far.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Any good coach would never fathom being ranked #100 at IU. They know they’re good and don’t think they would ever be in such a situation.

Most coaches will look at IU as pretty reasonable. UK cut Billy Clyde after two years. UNC cut Doherty after three years. Those two coaches had much better teams than #100.
Matt Doherty was 8-20 and 4-12 in year 2.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Simply say you will always put the best interests of the program first.
Fair enough. But the question was more directly how long do you plan to stay? I see comments like stubborn and arrogant thrown around. That's not what I take from it. He's saying he wants to "build it". He says "it's about these kids". While there's certainly grounds to think those things can't happen with Woody, he apparently still has enough confidence in who he is and what he can accomplish that he answered in a way that reflects that.

I was hoping that was an older quote.....however, March 24th looks his 66th birthday. I hope he's wrong about not going anywhere soon. Mike, retire and buy yourself a couple of horses to race.........

Reactions: Al Bino

First of all, Coach Woodson isn't going to be terminated this season. And even though I don't think he's the long term answer, I tend to agree that there is not much cause to terminate a guy after one poor season.

However I do take issue with your defense that "every single prognosticator projected IU to be at the bottom of the BIG this year." Even if that were true I don't think that building a crappy team that everyone knows will suck should be represent a free pass on the inevitable sucky season. It's still on the coach.

Must be like Biden believing in his mind that he is actually helping when in fact he is tearing IU down. I don't see him getting any other 25' recruits. I also think he will go portal again with the same old results. Time to quit ,Mike.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
How about starting out with something like "I know this year hasn't gone as expected, and that a lot of our fans are disappointed. We have to take a hard look at the entire program...." The answer he gave does sound delusional.
Fair enough but again, he was asked directly how.long he.planned in coaching.

Reactions: Rcp65goiu
Very few. Everyone felt there was a ton of uncertainty. Everything had to go right for us to be better, and that never happens.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT