ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson’s plans

Must be like Biden believing in his mind that he is actually helping when in fact he is tearing IU down. I don't see him getting any other 25' recruits. I also think he will go portal again with the same old results. Time to quit ,Mike.
what has Biden done to IU? always good to have a trumptard express some ignorance in a rational discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: IUgradman and ulrey
I would have loved for him to answer the question with something like this… “I’m an Indiana kid, and, of course, I’m a former player. So first and foremost, my loyalty and love lies with Indiana University. That said, if my being the coach here hurts the school more than it helps, which will be evaluated by myself and Scott at the end of the year…and if it is felt that necessary adjustments can’t be made by myself and my staff… I will have no issue with stepping aside.“
You don't want to be talking about stepping aside while recruiting is going on. He should have acknowledged, however, that things aren't where they need to be.

Reactions: papawboog
Some people were talking sweet sixeteen or elite 8 claiming his team would be better than last years team.
In all fairness, this thought was based upon the highly motivated “good X” being the glue to hold it all together. The fickle finger of fate brought our delusions of grandeur to a screeching halt of starkly contrasted reality, a season on the brink of an offensive stink.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Fair enough. But the question was more directly how long do you plan to stay? I see comments like stubborn and arrogant thrown around. That's not what I take from it. He's saying he wants to "build it". He says "it's about these kids". While there's certainly grounds to think those things can't happen with Woody, he apparently still has enough confidence in who he is and what he can accomplish that he answered in a way that reflects that.
He has to know that the question "How long do you plan to stay" at this point is the IU-light media's version of "When the hell do you intend to leave?". So there should have been a second half to his answer relative to his expectations of next year.

I don't perceive a sense of accountability from Woodson. He comes across as more or less writing his own ticket by virtue of some "gentlemen's agreement". Now...this is just an interpretation of his demeanor, response to questions and overall visible presence. I could be entirely off base. But then again....I'm older than Woodson...so I've seen a thing or two over the years. I'll trust my instincts until proven otherwise.

He has to know that the question "How long do you plan to stay" at this point is the IU-light media's version of "When the hell do you intend to leave?". So there should have been a second half to his answer relative to his expectations of next year.
I suppose. Like mentioned above though, his answer wasn't much different than Crean's. Archie, in Archie fashion basically said I'm not entertaining bs questions like that.

In all fairness, this thought was based upon the highly motivated “good X” being the glue to hold it all together. The fickle finger of fate brought our delusions of grandeur to a screeching halt of starkly contrasted reality, a season on the brink of an offensive stink.

Sounds pretty silly when you put it that way, doesn't it? What were the odds of X being both mentally and physically 'good' for an entire year? Maybe 15%? And yet our coach seems to have depended on it.

I think he's talking like 99% of coaches talk. Confident in himself, planning to continue to do his job.

I can't think of any coach other than maybe Mike Davis who stood up before the media and said "I'm in over my head"

Reminder: Every single prognosticator projected IU to be at the bottom of the BIG this year, and they were right. Last year, we were ready to give him a multi-year extension, and this year, we're ready to terminate him. If I were a seasoned, successful coach looking for a final blue-blood home, I'd look hard at how the school manages down years. I wouldn't say I like his coaching style, but we made the bed we need to sleep in.
Mrs Woodson, you’re absolutely dead wrong about preseason expectations from the experts. Did they also have us as a triple digit NET team? Your license needs to be revoked

I don't perceive a sense of accountability from Woodson. He comes across as more or less writing his own ticket by virtue of some "gentlemen's agreement". Now...this is just an interpretation of his demeanor, response to questions and overall visible presence. I could be entirely off base. But then again....I'm older than Woodson...so I've seen a thing or two over the years. I'll trust my instincts until proven otherwise.

Well, he did get a $1M bonus 8 months ago.........

i agree that's the vibe. Sure doesn't sound like Dull Son has been in his ear about expectations/changes like North would like to believe. I don't think any of that has happened. But.....at least so far, no public vote of confidence.

He may have to go 0 and 6 to close the regular season before Dull Son seriously considers pulling the trigger.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Reminder: Every single prognosticator projected IU to be at the bottom of the BIG this year, and they were right. Last year, we were ready to give him a multi-year extension, and this year, we're ready to terminate him. If I were a seasoned, successful coach looking for a final blue-blood home, I'd look hard at how the school manages down years. I wouldn't say I like his coaching style, but we made the bed we need to sleep in.
It's a different time he makes 4 million dollars a year has NIL at his disposal all we ask is make the tournament really thats a tough task?

Maybe mom can read you a bed time story for you tonight?
she left about hour ago; she will be there to tuck you in shortly.

Ulrey I'm seriously done with this, I think you are an absolute idiot and I'm sure you think the same of me. were both probably right so let's just move along and not clutter up the basketball board with this stuff.

Ulrey I'm seriously done with this, I think you are an absolute idiot and I'm sure you think the same of me. were both probably right so let's just move along and not clutter up the basketball board with this stuff.
Nahhh. Keep at each other

Like RMK said about the first 3-pt line: one of you is right.

Like RMK said about the first 3-pt line: one of you is right.
it's probably ulcer. I can't change anything anyway what's going to happen is going to happen. going to stay off the water cooler and avoid the stupid shots over here. just same people spewing the same crap who cares.

l agree. And if Mack plays to his potential, those three are with any group in America. Just the shitty guards snd shittier coaching. I wish Sampson had this front line.
When we lost Xavier the dreams of being better than last year went out the window. However, we should still make the damn tourney, not be on the bubble for the NIT with the talent on this team. Ware was way better than expected and so was Malik. Many say that it is one of if not the best front court pairing in college bball. Guards are easily one of the worst.

are to stay at IU as long as he believes he can make a difference, which he believes he can do.

Mike Woodson was asked about how long he wants to continue coaching:

“I came back to try to put this team in the best position possible. I’m going to continue to do that. I’m almost 66 but I feel good and I still move around and I think that I still think well in terms of the game and I still think I can teach the game. I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”
Sorry to say that I am starting to believe he is in it for the money. I thought that after his years in the NBA that money wouldn’t be a big motivator but reconsidering.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT