ADVERTISEMENT

quinn

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
Here was the biggest issue with the hire it was made based on emotion not on a real search to get a real coach. It was based on getting a buddy the job and he did it. Nothing quinn ever said was about winning big it was more like we simply owed the old brass one period.

This hire brings happiness to Buckner, but not just because both of his golfing buddies are now close by. And it’s not just because IU’s program will be led by a protégé of Knight.

During Monday’s press conference, Dolson credited Buckner with being a liaison in a search process that inevitably landed a longtime NBA coach and former Hoosier as the basketball team's next leader. Buckner, who spent years in the NBA as a player and coach, defers back.

“It’s good to see one of our own come on and have a chance to do something that’s for the greater good,” Buckner said. “I honestly believe, the fact he’s here, it’s for the greater good. Having success, it means a great deal to a great many people.”

Buckner doesn’t want to put the cart before the horse. Now it’s just time for Woodson to put his plan into action, working as he knows the prolific Hoosier scorer always has. This is an opportunity Woodson has long wanted, and Woodson even admitted Monday he applied for the IU job once before and didn’t get it.

Buckner believes the timing is right, though, for Woodson to make the transition to college. In some ways, the timing is eerie.

Quinn Buckner on new IU coach Mike Woodson: 'He may be the best human being I know'​

Here was the biggest issue with the hire it was made based on emotion not on a real search to get a real coach. It was based on getting a buddy the job and he did it. Nothing quinn ever said was about winning big it was more like we simply owed the old brass one period.

This hire brings happiness to Buckner, but not just because both of his golfing buddies are now close by. And it’s not just because IU’s program will be led by a protégé of Knight.

During Monday’s press conference, Dolson credited Buckner with being a liaison in a search process that inevitably landed a longtime NBA coach and former Hoosier as the basketball team's next leader. Buckner, who spent years in the NBA as a player and coach, defers back.

“It’s good to see one of our own come on and have a chance to do something that’s for the greater good,” Buckner said. “I honestly believe, the fact he’s here, it’s for the greater good. Having success, it means a great deal to a great many people.”

Buckner doesn’t want to put the cart before the horse. Now it’s just time for Woodson to put his plan into action, working as he knows the prolific Hoosier scorer always has. This is an opportunity Woodson has long wanted, and Woodson even admitted Monday he applied for the IU job once before and didn’t get it.

Buckner believes the timing is right, though, for Woodson to make the transition to college. In some ways, the timing is eerie.

Quinn Buckner on new IU coach Mike Woodson: 'He may be the best human being I know'​

Nepotism at it's finest!

Congrats, you finally posted what I assume is a quote from an article about QB's involvement.

Now give it a f****** rest!
Everyone know yours feeling on this subject since this is the 1,231 st post you have made about it and now you even started a new thread on it.

TIA

Congrats, you finally posted what I assume is a quote from an article about QB's involvement.

Now give it a f****** rest!
Everyone know yours feeling on this subject since this is the 1,231 st post you have made about it and now you even started a new thread on it.

TIA
He has a serious vendetta.

How do you decide when the new coach will not succeed?
I would feel never after year one (barring off field stuff).
Not even after year two.
But after year three, with no improvement shown, I would think a coach needs to explain why he should not be fired.
I have no idea what ADs, BODs, etc think. Likely emotions and friendships enter in. I was fine with the hire - I thought his NBA history would bring in recruits. But at this point it seems to me we need to try again.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Not even after year two.
But after year three, with no improvement shown, I would think a coach needs to explain why he should not be fired.
I have no idea what ADs, BODs, etc think. Likely emotions and friendships enter in. I was fine with the hire - I thought his NBA history would bring in recruits. But at this point it seems to me we need to try again.
100% 3 years is plenty. No CEO gets 4-5 years to prove his mettle.

Not even after year two.
I feel like any signs of improvement or a foundation trending in the right direction should be an absolute must in year 3.

I would have no clue what Woodson could possibly point to to meet those baselines.

Not even after year two.
It's a great question. I think Mike is a bit like Crean in that he really needs a lot of talent to succeed. Those kind of coaches either recruit like heck or they don't and then come up short. Knight was a guy who could take just about anyone and win 20 games with them. When he had talent they generally were very good.

It's true that compared to say Archie, Woodson would seem to deserve another year to turn it around. But this is not standard any longer because the fans are lumping all the mediocrity together, which is fair. The fan base is growing impatient, and thus, things will likely need to change sooner rather than later.

Reactions: ams66
Not even after year two.
Just my view, but I look at the trend and what the next year looks like.

The program is imploding — probably losing all but one or two games from here on out. Maybe TJD masked the problems the first two years. When your Net and KenPom are mid-90s, as a program we are light years from being good, and even further from being elite. We need massive change, or a big catalyst, to get ranked again.

Is that going to happen? Look at the roster. This isn’t clear yet, but our best player is likely gone, so that’s a negative. If we continue imploding we may lose key guys like MR and MM to the portal. Recruits like Queen are much less likely. So we have the spring portal (with our program looking like crap) and McNeely to replace Ware AND create some massive change to get from Net 90s to top-25? It seems impossible, unless Michael Jordan 2.0 is in the portal (he isn’t).

I don’t know why Woody could turn this around when he got us in the mess in the first place. And by the way he has top-5 NIL and the biggest bball budget in the B1G.

The big change we need to improve is the coach.

It's a great question. I think Mike is a bit like Crean in that he really needs a lot of talent to succeed. Those kind of coaches either recruit like heck or they don't and then come up short. Knight was a guy who could take just about anyone and win 20 games with them. When he had talent they generally were very good.

It's true that compared to say Archie, Woodson would seem to deserve another year to turn it around. But this is not standard any longer because the fans are lumping all the mediocrity together, which is fair. The fan base is growing impatient, and thus, things will likely need to change sooner rather than later.
Not the standard at all. Everything changed with the portal. The argument used to be coaches needed 4-5 years to get their guys. Hell, coaches can now get their guys in one year. The dude at Penn State did it. Matta has a whole team this year. It’s happening all around with coaches that have a plan. NIL makes it easy. Everyone says we have plenty.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Just my view, but I look at the trend and what the next year looks like.

The program is imploding — probably losing all but one or two games from here on out. Maybe TJD masked the problems the first two years. When your Net and KenPom are mid-90s, as a program we are light years from being good, and even further from being elite. We need massive change, or a big catalyst, to get ranked again.

Is that going to happen? Look at the roster. This isn’t clear yet, but our best player is likely gone, so that’s a negative. If we continue imploding we may lose key guys like MR and MM to the portal. Recruits like Queen are much less likely. So we have the spring portal (with our program looking like crap) and McNeely to replace Ware AND create some massive change to get from Net 90s to top-25? It seems impossible, unless Michael Jordan 2.0 is in the portal (he isn’t).

I don’t know why Woody could turn this around when he got us in the mess in the first place. And by the way he has top-5 NIL and the biggest bball budget in the B1G.

The big change we need to improve is the coach.
Woodson isn't turning it around. Ware will be gone next year and he has one recruit. And he has shown he can't get guards in the portal.

I just had that register now, with your post. We have ONE recruit for next year. ONE.

One as of NOW, it would not surprise me for him to ask for a release from his LOI. Actually I expect it.

Then the whole class next year will be portal based!

Reactions: GThomas
Mike Pence 🤬

"In July 2004, Buckner was named the Vice President of Communications for Pacers Sports & Entertainment (PS&E), which owns and operates the Indiana Pacers, the WNBA's Indiana Fever and the Pacers Foundation, Inc. Buckner was appointed to serve a 3-year term on the Indiana University Board of Trustees by then-Indiana governor Mike Pence in June 2016."

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter

This coaching experiment has determined that being the best human being Quinn knows is not a sufficient condition to be a decent college basketball coach. Look at the positives-what we gained in knowledge.

Reactions: salient43
Invite Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun, Coach K and Roy Williams to a private dinner/discussion. Get their advice about who the best and brightest head coach is that is not at Kansas, UNC, Duke or UConn that is approachable; one they feel could turn things around at IU. Then,.......take their advice. Why these guys? Their programs were all passed on to very good hands (Duke is iffy, but I trust Coach K).

This coaching experiment has determined that being the best human being Quinn knows is not a sufficient condition to be a decent college basketball coach. Look at the positives-what we gained in knowledge.
As for as I am concerned this hire is now quinns legacy not what he did in 1976. Quinn, Wittman, Isiah, May, etc all great players but god awful coaches and judges of talent.

Not the standard at all. Everything changed with the portal. The argument used to be coaches needed 4-5 years to get their guys. Hell, coaches can now get their guys in one year. The dude at Penn State did it. Matta has a whole team this year. It’s happening all around with coaches that have a plan. NIL makes it easy. Everyone says we have plenty.
Regardless of whether Woody is back or not, it does appear that we will be looking at 4-7 portal players.

Schools like Minnesota & PSU have been able to scrounge around and find that many over-achieving types who were willing to come in and play their asses off for a chance to play at the BT level. Hell, PSU's done it twice.

If Woody's still here, he will likely take the approach of seeking out under-achieving P2 4 and 5* with an attitude, still yearning for NBA glory.

Reactions: 76-1
Invite Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun, Coach K and Roy Williams to a private dinner/discussion. Get their advice about who the best and brightest head coach is that is not at Kansas, UNC, Duke or UConn that is approachable; one they feel could turn things around at IU. Then,.......take their advice. Why these guys? Their programs were all passed on to very good hands (Duke is iffy, but I trust Coach K).
Why would any of them have any interest in helping IU? The most you could hope for is that they would return your call. Then they'd recommend some son of one of their buddies or former players.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Regardless of whether Woody is back or not, it does appear that we will be looking at 4-7 portal players.

Schools like Minnesota & PSU have been able to scrounge around and find that many over-achieving types who were willing to come in and play their asses off for a chance to play at the BT level. Hell, PSU's done it twice.

If Woody's still here, he will likely take the approach of seeking out under-achieving P2 4 and 5* with an attitude, still yearning for NBA glory.
I certainly would not expect much from him in the portal except a few big guys.

Why would any of them have any interest in helping IU? The most you could hope for is that they would return your call. Then they'd recommend some son of one of their buddies or former players.
I would agree with you, and maybe too much of a fan, but believe most In the college basketball world recognize that college basketball as a whole benefits from a strong IU team. It is not satisfying, except maybe for Purdue and UK fans, for a mythic program to be laid so low it hopes for charity from refs and The Selection Committee.

Reactions: ams66
I’m not sure that is even the correct question. In order to have a succession plan you need to have a desire to continue with an identity, or culture.

We did the opposite.

Andrea Kramer asks Mike Davis “what do you want to change about IU basketball”, and he says “oh, everything”. Can you imagine that being said at Duke, UNC, KU or U-Conn after a legendary coach left?

Oh, well, then we tried Sampson. How’d trying to be a program like Oklahoma work out?

We’ve completely lost our way, any identity we had, any semblance of culture. The change needs to occur above the level of head coach.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I’m not sure that is even the correct question. In order to have a succession plan you need to have a desire to continue with an identity, or culture.

We did the opposite.

Andrea Kramer asks Mike Davis “what do you want to change about IU basketball”, and he says “oh, everything”. Can you imagine that being said at Duke, UNC, KU or U-Conn after a legendary coach left?

Oh, well, then we tried Sampson. How’d trying to be a program like Oklahoma work out?

We’ve completely lost our way, any identity we had, any semblance of culture. The change needs to occur above the level of head coach.

I have some hope with the new President. She seems pretty down-to-earth for an academic. And something of a sports fan. I wouldn't think that she's happy watching this collapse. She enthusiastically signed off on Cignetti who, let's face it, is a bit of a dick. I hope for a similar no-nonsense hire in basketball.

Given Woodson's age, the AD should be doing this sort of thing regularly. Even if Woodson was killing it in every way, you know he isn't here for the long term.

We did the opposite.

For the most part in sports bringing in new players works well if you have a strong culture/team identity they have to fit into. Just playing musical chairs leads to the chaos that we have now.

Reactions: 76-1 and .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT