ADVERTISEMENT

Larry, Reggie, Isiah interview

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Pretty cool interview. Isiah says that Quinn Buckner was playing in a basketball tournament when Larry Bird was at IU for a few weeks. Quinn feels bad to this day that he wasn't able to be there for Larry, and Quinn says he wouldn't have let Larry leave. Larry said he left IU because of finances.

Pretty cool interview. Isiah says that Quinn Buckner was playing in a basketball tournament when Larry Bird was at IU for a few weeks. Quinn feels bad to this day that he wasn't able to be there for Larry, and Quinn says he wouldn't have let Larry leave. Larry said he left IU because of finances.

I think that last part was well known. Larry was very poor. Knight had him room with Steve Risley. Bird took one look at Risley’s closet and knew he was in the wrong place. Embarrassed. Left pronto. One of the saddest stories of “what if” in the whole history of IU basketball. And one of the greatest regrets of Bob Knight’s life.

I think that last part was well known. Larry was very poor. Knight had him room with Steve Risley. Bird took one look at Risley’s closet and knew he was in the wrong place. Embarrassed. Left pronto. One of the saddest stories of “what if” in the whole history of IU basketball. And one of the greatest regrets of Bob Knight’s life.
Jim Wiseman

Risley was Isiah era. I wish Larry knew that many college kids are poor. I thought IU athletes always got a bunch of free athletic gear: shoes, shirts, warm ups, etc.
Risley was a senior in 81.
Right. But Risley (or someone) offered to help him. Bird wasn’t (isn’t) fond of welfare.

Edit: it wasn’t Risley (obviously), so maybe it was Wisman.
Wisman was the one who had a lot of clothes in his closet.. I’ve heard him talking about it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT