ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann

my theory has always been....we don't get Cody, we get he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Would he have worked out? We'll never know. But, I can't imagine it being any worse than it is now, or has been for many years.

Damn you Cody. This is all your fault.
Agree. Curse in disguise!

It would have been such a great call to grab Stevens when we had the chance. He would have kept Cody easily and achieved much more with him, and the of course won a few natties last decade. Oh well.

It would have been such a great call to grab Stevens when we had the chance. He would have kept Cody easily and achieved much more with him, and the of course won a few natties last decade. Oh well.
Cody/VO/Watt/Jordy/Yogi playing for he-who-shall-not-be-named......yeah, I see some potential there. Dammit.

20/20 hindsight. That call would have to have been made immediately after the Wat Shot year, and literally EVERYONE was gung ho Crean at that point. Zeller and Dipo returning. The Movement class coming in, including Yogi and Perea. I don't know a single IU fan that wasn't ALL IN during that offseason.

I started to seriously question it, during that next year. But even after the Syracuse letdown...I'm not sure I was in anyway, calling for his head.

Is this satire? Matta wasn’t fired. Hell he couldn’t even walk. He wasn’t healthy. It was a mutual decision. Took him years to get healthy enough to coach. This is a dumb take and it’s not surprising coming from you.
Sure, sure. It was "mutual". That's why they waited until 3 months after the season was over. And fyi, Woody won't be fired. He will "retire".

"Smith admitted, however, he approached Matta with the decision and did not give him the option of coaching in 2017-18."

20/20 hindsight. That call would have to have been made immediately after the Wat Shot year, and literally EVERYONE was gung ho Crean at that point. Zeller and Dipo returning. The Movement class coming in, including Yogi and Perea. I don't know a single IU fan that wasn't ALL IN during that offseason.

I started to seriously question it, during that next year. But even after the Syracuse letdown...I'm not sure I was in anyway, calling for his head.
Yea. That’s why I said it would have been a great call — would not have been easy. Things seemed fine, there were reasons for concern, but nothing too bad. A really sharp AD could have seen the chance to get Basketball Jesus, you always want to be upgrading. Oh well it’s irrelevant now.

Reactions: ams66
They have expectations over there. Not a bunch of liberal morons in their ivory tower making idiotic decisions. Matta was fired for one bad season after multiple FFs, 5 plus B1G titles, etc. Holtmann had made the dance like 8 years straight before last season. And OSU will definitely get someone very good.

But we can't fire Woody as it would reflect badly on the University and scare off future hires with our crazy expectations.
when Woodys gone should we try and see if Trump or Jim Bakker would be on the search committee

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Sure, sure. It was "mutual". That's why they waited until 3 months after the season was over. And fyi, Woody won't be fired. He will "retire".

"Smith admitted, however, he approached Matta with the decision and did not give him the option of coaching in 2017-18."

I knew you would post that hit piece from espn. You love Dakich and then use an espn article that was misquoted and an opinion. If you actually went to a non entertainment news source you would know Matta said time and again he wasn’t “let go”. That espn article was aimed at Gene Smith because he was outspoken against espn. Matta had a failed back surgery and he couldn’t do his job. Smith had no choice. Neither did Matta and its context.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUPaterade724
Who would you want IU to go after?
Not sure. It’s not an easy choice. But I’d bet it won’t be any guy who has a rapist apologist or abuser accusations 5-20 years behind him. If May makes a run even to the sweet 16 I’m game. If it a flop I might, still be just depends. So mark beard, Alford and Archie’s brother off the list.

Not sure. It’s not an easy choice. But I’d bet it won’t be any guy who has a rapist apologist or abuser accusations 5-20 years behind him. If May makes a run even to the sweet 16 I’m game. If it a flop I might, still be just depends. So mark beard, Alford and Archie’s brother off the list.
I really want Beard but I bet Louisville grabs him

Yep. People dismiss timing and if the rumor of Matta and the physical are true then I’m not sure this administration would still consider him. Who actually knows?
sorry...what rumor of Matta and the physical?

They have expectations over there. Not a bunch of liberal morons in their ivory tower making idiotic decisions. Matta was fired for one bad season after multiple FFs, 5 plus B1G titles, etc. Holtmann had made the dance like 8 years straight before last season. And OSU will definitely get someone very good.

But we can't fire Woody as it would reflect badly on the University and scare off future hires with our crazy expectations.
Keep your hillbilly whack job politics off the basketball board you worm brained dumb slack jawed MF.

I really want Beard but I bet Louisville grabs him
I honestly don't know if the stat about him going 0-13 in his last 13 games against ranked AP teams, is true. But if it is, that's an eye opening stat that would need flushed out a little bit.

I honestly don't know if the stat about him going 0-13 in his last 13 games against ranked AP teams, is true. But if it is, that's an eye opening stat that would need flushed out a little bit.
Well he hasn’t ever coached at a top level program and has always won. His teams look very well coached.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Could you imagine how pissed our fan base would be if Ohio State went and got Brad Stevens?

IU won’t hire him. They let Wilson go for character flaws. I’m not saying I have the opinion not too. They just can’t after standing ground on Wilson. Both alcohol incidents.
But most schools would. Some schools are forgiving and some are not I guess.

Well he hasn’t ever coached at a top level program and has always won. His teams look very well coached.
Texas Tech and Texas are fairly high level...

And I'm not sure where the supposed 0-13 record came from, though I'd assume a handful this year at Ole Miss, and then the rest his last year at Texas.

Just seems like a strange stretch for a coach as good as he appears to be.

But most schools would. Some schools are forgiving and some are not I guess.
It’s not that IU isn’t forgiving. They took the moral stance. In their eyes. Can’t abandon it now and save face. Same thing with Drew. You can mark it down neither will be at IU.

IU won’t hire him. They let Wilson go for character flaws. I’m not saying I have the opinion not too. They just can’t after standing ground on Wilson. Both alcohol incidents.
Different President, different AD. Who knows what they will do going forward.

Said by some he failed his physical at IU. Thats why he wasn’t hired as head coach. I have no idea if that’s even remotely true.
I wouldn't think a failed physical 2-3 years ago would preclude them from considering him today?

Dolson would have intimate knowledge of all that, he'd have whatever experiences he had with him in his time at IU. And then he can see Matta coaching Butler right now...seemingly very effectively.

Anyway...if he's physically able, and would be excited about coaching at IU...Dolson should make that happen.

He'd take some serious flack from a some people about moving on Woody so quickly. But Matta's inevitable success would make nearly everyone forget, as soon as the success starts.

I wouldn't think a failed physical 2-3 years ago would preclude them from considering him today?

Dolson would have intimate knowledge of all that, he'd have whatever experiences he had with him in his time at IU. And then he can see Matta coaching Butler right now...seemingly very effectively.

Anyway...if he's physically able, and would be excited about coaching at IU...Dolson should make that happen.

He'd take some serious flack from a some people about moving on Woody so quickly. But Matta's inevitable success would make nearly everyone forget, as soon as the success starts.
Not disagreeing with any of that other than it’s probably in almost every instance nobody fires a coach in year 3. That’s my stance.

Reactions: ams66
Dolson took off on his moped 10 minutes ago for some wind therapy to try and make sense of it all.

Coaches usually get more than three years, but most coaches aren’t ranked #100 (with big NIL) in year three.

Said by some he failed his physical at IU. Thats why he wasn’t hired as head coach. I have no idea if that’s even remotely true.
Did a rivals writer say that he failed a physical then later retracted it?

Iirc, there was another rumor here that he was asked, and refused to take the physical.

Edit, adding link

They know how to get things done.
Ha, he's been there 7 years and has been worse than us the last 2. You're talking about firing a coach who is in only his 3rd year, after having made the tournament his first two, when that hadn't been done in 5+ years. Personally, I think there is plenty of smoke that CMW is not the guy to lead the program to where it's expectations are, but nothing is going to happen until the end of the season. Dolson acted more quickly than I expected in firing both Miller and Allen, and he knows the MBHC is his most important position, and will have a large bearing on his future. He's not keeping Woody around if he's convinced he's the wrong guy and keeping him would jeopardize his future and it undoubtedly does.

Last edited:
Coaches usually get more than three years, but most coaches aren’t ranked #100 (with big NIL) in year three.
In the past they probably would have but lets see how long coaches get now with no transfer penalities, NIL, and the portal. The it takes four years to put a roster together excuse is not going to fly in this day and age. Besides woodson mostly does not even recruit the type of guys whou would stay four years anyway. He is after guys with many stars next to their name.

IU will continue to do the same thing and expect a different result.
Oh, and line a few pockets along the way.
100% they will. Except nothing to change come next season. It will all be about getting them over the hump still.

I remember people saying that they wanted Holtman , I’m asking you who they wanted him over?

Holtman instead of Miller?
Holtman instead of Woodson?
Holtman instead of Fife?
Holtman instead of Stevens?

the best option isn’t always a good option, it can be the better of two bad choices.
I wanted:

Brad Brownell instead of Tom Crean
Holtman instead of Miller
Musselman instead of Woodson

Reactions: kkott
In the past they probably would have but lets see how long coaches get now with no transfer penalities, NIL, and the portal. The it takes four years to put a roster together excuse is not going to fly in this day and age. Besides woodson mostly does not even recruit the type of guys whou would stay four years anyway. He is after guys with many stars next to their name.
The portal only has who it has. It's not a limitless source of ideal players. It still takes time to build a roster, the pieces you need may not be available. Granted it's different from years past but funny how on the one hand people here are saying we can't build sustained success with portal players but on the other hand we expect instant success because we have the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT