ADVERTISEMENT

There is going to be big injection of NIL money.

Radio Zero

All-Big Ten
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

This is what insiders are saying with sources . On more than one forum.

This family wants MW to get a fourth year

What do you think of that.

Also my source

Simon family and Buckner are giving MW everything he needs to succeed with the portal and for next season.

Also my source
He had very good, and competitive NIL funds last offseason... And he got 2 5 star starters, 2 veteran bigs, and a 5 star 2024 recruit.

They could give him a billion dollars and he'd still have to coach the team he'd be able to assemble.

Well, we have resilient NIL donors. I thought they might tail off more after not seeing much ROI.

I still struggle to see what we are building. We have a coach who is not long term even if he performs well enough to keep his job. It doesn’t appear we are building solid recruiting relationships — we had one high school commit this class. We aren’t getting many kids from Indiana. It’s not clear what our identity and culture is as a program (big guys and NIL?).

So we buy a team, but once they leave and Woody moves on what will be left? Probably a “rebuild” with whoever is the next coach. Not great.

I don’t know. Good luck with all the NIL Woody.

Last edited:

Also my source

I would love to know what the Simon family sees that I don't!

If I had that kind of money it would have been on the side of helping with the buy out!

He had very good, and competitive NIL funds last offseason... And he got 2 5 star starters, 2 veteran bigs, and a 5 star 2024 recruit.

They could give him a billion dollars and he'd still have to coach the team he'd be able to assemble.
I think he can buy better parts.
Well, we have resilient NIL donors. I thought they might tail off more after not seeing much ROI.

I still struggle to see what we are building. We have a coach who is not long term even if he performs well enough to keep his job. It doesn’t appear we are building solid recruiting relationships — we had one high school commit this class. We aren’t getting many kids from Indiana. It’s not clear what our identity and culture is as a program (big guys and NIL?).

So we buy a team, but once they leave and Woody moves on what will be left? Probably a “rebuild” with whoever is the next coach. Not great.

building?

NIL / the Portal isn’t about building, it’s about money.

Why assume that the NIL donors are resilient? Have you ever considered that someone can buy players and their goal has nothing to do with winning? In fact, maybe winning harms the owner. (Consider losing a key player to injury. This may harm the W-L record, but it’s the best case scenario for someone that bought a player that will benefit).

blue-chips-basketball-movie-leadjpg.jpg

Also my source
All they really means is you are going to try and buy a team instead of recruit hs players. It does not change the way the team is coached and also there is no guarantee any top portal players will come here just for money. He will have to beat out all the top schools for the actual top portal players who can make a difference.

If true, I don't know if I want to watch anymore. I'm not fan of the NBA or the NBA lite. We've seen what's been happening in the tournament lately. The favorites with merc's are losing to the Florida Atlanitc's and St Mary's of this world with 3/4 year players. It'll only delay the inevitable. We saw what Crean did with 'the movement.' Maybe Woody makes the round of 32 or sweet 16 and then there's a drop off and fired after a couple years. In all honesty, it would have to be a top 10 HS PG or veteran PG.

We need an excellent, heady point guard who can run the team on his own!!

Also my source
The correct term is getting over the hump.

As long as we can lure a player like Carmelo Anthony in the portal Woody can have a winning record. But even as 1-Seed in the East Woody was popped by Frank Vogel and our Pacers. Sub 0.500 in the NBA and he’s our head coach.
Woodson needs incredible talent to win. He could not even get past the round of 32 with TJD on his team.

I don't buy it, those who know the value of a dollar aren't very acceptive of funding ineptitude and are surely surrounded by several financial advisors. There must be some other incentive for them to waste money on a very obvious problem.

I don't buy it, those who know the value of a dollar aren't very acceptive of funding ineptitude and are surely surrounded by several financial advisors. There must be some other incentive for them to waste money on a very obvious problem.
What is the incentive are you talking about. You are making it sound nefarious

They want what is best for IU and they are making it happen ?

What is the incentive are you talking about. You are making it sound nefarious

They want what is best for IU and they are making it happen ?
yes, that's what i've heard in the winds ... real estate, no proof whatsoever so i've nothing to offer, just chatter i hear that i hope is not true

Guess that injection of money wasn’t enough to keep McNeeley. But it’s OK. Lots of players will want to come play For Woodson. His style is what every kid dreams about playing.

If Dolson was dead set on replacing Woodson and got overridden, if he doesn’t resign, he’s just as guilty.
Yep especially guards

Reactions: ndhuntington
Guess that injection of money wasn’t enough to keep McNeeley. But it’s OK. Lots of players will want to come play For Woodson. His style is what every kid dreams about playing.

If Dolson was dead set on replacing Woodson and got overridden, if he doesn’t resign, he’s just as guilty.
Yea. What good xfer is going to find IU appealing?

Fair point. But I’d be looking at other schools for sure. But Dolson is still complicit in this regardless.

IU is a bottom P5 school in athletics. The powers that be at IU are too stupid to realize it.

I don't agree with him being complicit at all.
He moved on Archie when no one thought he would. I believe he was forced into the Woodson hire. Why else would he hire Dane and Thad?
He moved on Allen when no one thought he would. Time will tell but I believe he made a home run hire with CCC. It is my belief that hire was because no one interfered with the process.
Rumor is he wanted to move on Woodson and was overruled. I believe that is why he did not make the announcement of Woodson coming back.

I think we now have an AD that is an IU guy, realizes the importance of athletics, is willing to make the tough decisions and if he was allowed to do his job unfettered, IU wouldn't be a bottom P5 school that you spoke of.

Also my source
Takes much more than NIL. It’s needed but not the be all end all

IU is one of the largest 30 public universities in the country...who wants to grow up to be Rice. Or Marian
And yet, IU is irrelevant nationally in sports. At least, the two sports that 95% of the country cares about. I think we have sucked so hard and so long, IU fans have forgotten what’s it’s like to be good. Heck, many IU fans aren’t old enough to have actual memories of when IU was good. So, it’s just expected that IU won’t make good decisions.

I think we now have an AD that is an IU guy, realizes the importance of athletics, is willing to make the tough decisions and if he was allowed to do his job unfettered, IU wouldn't be a bottom P5 school that you spoke of.
Maybe he is willing to make tough decisions. But he hasn’t been able to implement them. And firing a crappy coach in Tom Allen or Archie Miller isn’t tough. Allen lasted too long as it was. So, if he wants to keep making $500k and letting others make the important decisions for him, so be it. it is a lot of money. But I’m not giving him credit for wanting to do the right thing, get it done.

And yet, IU is irrelevant nationally in sports. At least, the two sports that 95% of the country cares about. I think we have sucked so hard and so long, IU fans have forgotten what’s it’s like to be good. Heck, many IU fans aren’t old enough to have actual memories of when IU was good. So, it’s just expected that IU won’t make good decisions.
That was my point, sport

He fired those crappy coaches when NO ONE thought he would. He raised the money for the buy outs.
He is doing things and being assertive like no other AD in recent memory. That is what I want in an AD.
NOW, he needs to do whatever he can to run his department without interference but there is only so much he can do to mitigate that problem.
I truly believe he is NOT letting other make important decisions. He is being overruled by people who are above him. Do tell how he is supposed to rectify that problem?
Do you just do what you want to do even though it would be in direct opposition to what your boss wants done?

He fired those crappy coaches when NO ONE thought he would. He raised the money for the buy outs.
He is doing things and being assertive like no other AD in recent memory. That is what I want in an AD.
NOW, he needs to do whatever he can to run his department without interference but there is only so much he can do to mitigate that problem.
I truly believe he is NOT letting other make important decisions. He is being overruled by people who are above him. Do tell how he is supposed to rectify that problem?
Do you just do what you want to do even though it would be in direct opposition to what your boss wants done?
If your boss won't let you do your job, you can basically either quit, or lay back and enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT