ADVERTISEMENT

All The Issues Are Easily Fixable, Woody Should Keep Going...

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
Yes, it is always easier to hit the red button & blow everything up. But there are always consequences when folks panic & don't think everything through.

After years on this board, I truly believe that this group would ask for John Wooden's reignition if he fell to the middle of the standings.

Nobody is thrilled with the way things have played out this year, but the issues are obvious - guard play, shooting & a shooting. This is not a big man's league anymore; it's about the guards & outside shooting - like the NBA. Unfortunately, this would still only be an average shooting team with X & Newton full go this year. So, injuries have taken the most important aspect of winning college basketball games "shooting" & made us the easiest team in the nation to guard. That is not Woody's fault & it is easily fixable.

If we have MM, KW, & MR PS, & 1 PG & 4 new shooters (none with a history of shooting less than 80% FT) from HS/portal, we are back in business..

With the right mix of talent, Woody can win here. If the right things happen, next year could be special with Woody driving the bus.

Nobody is thrilled with the way things have played out this year, but the issues are obvious - guard play, shooting & a shooting.
Indiana is giving up 75 points per game which puts them 16th on 124 seasons all time. They aren't shooting well either but the problem is a lack of awareness by the coaching staff of what type of player is necessary to win and build a program.
The staff doesn't understand Indiana basketball or else they wouldn't be recruiting guys like Boogie Fland.

Yes, it is always easier to hit the red button & blow everything up. But there are always consequences when folks panic & don't think everything through.

After years on this board, I truly believe that this group would ask for John Wooden's reignition if he fell to the middle of the standings.

Nobody is thrilled with the way things have played out this year, but the issues are obvious - guard play, shooting & a shooting. This is not a big man's league anymore; it's about the guards & outside shooting - like the NBA. Unfortunately, this would still only be an average shooting team with X & Newton full go this year. So, injuries have taken the most important aspect of winning college basketball games "shooting" & made us the easiest team in the nation to guard. That is not Woody's fault & it is easily fixable.

If we have MM, KW, & MR PS, & 1 PG & 4 new shooters (none with a history of shooting less than 80% FT) from HS/portal, we are back in business..

With the right mix of talent, Woody can win here. If the right things happen, next year could be special with Woody driving the bus.

Well, IMO, that is about as deluded as you can get! Good grief.

"fell to the middle of the standing" - are you Fu***** serious. We were in the middle of the standings year one and in year three we very well might end up in next to last. I don't know how you define middle but for me that is NOT middle.

Yes, the issues are obvious and who is getting paid four MILLION dollars a year to make sure there are not such obvious issues?

Who constructed this roster that even this site said was not constructed for success?

Who left a open scholarship?

And if you think that all those players will be here next year, back away from the pipe or bottle or whatever other mind bending substance you are on.

Four shooters - he couldn't get more than one shooter to come last year.

Where does all this confidence in Mike come from??

You are the fan that would have been pumping its chest if IU had won this game today saying "It's still there for the taking" lol. Rah rah rah!!

Who’s currently got the trophy for dumbest post ever? Pass it to this joker. Well earned. Or the funniest parody post in the history of this forum. I kinda understand it. I’m delirious too. This shatshow would make a sane person nuts. Face it folks, we ain’t sane. Our souls have been curb stomped by the amateur hour displayed in Bloomington on a daily basis since Bob Knight told a kid his name was Coach Knight or Mr Knight. Criminal behavior if there ever was one.

Go to bed Mrs. Woodson.

no he cannot its coaching it is not the players at all he has three top players.

I believe you are full of shit. The same problems exist year in and year out. The defense, the 3pt shooting, free throw shooting sucks.

I remember when I had my first beer. Step away from the computer you will only do harm to yourself.

I like the sarcasm.

Reactions: .Gerdis

lol

Stay off this board Buckner! I'm tired of your pipe dreams.

"If we have MM, KW, & MR, PS, & 1 PG & 4 new shooters"? I'll go you one better...why not just get UConn's entire roster for next year? The chances of either happening are about equal. Wishful thinking has been a placebo for quite a long time. It takes a coach with gravitas to bring IU back. That has been lacking since Sampson.

Well, I agree with one part - this is fixable by Woody. He could resign.

But he won't. So the second thing he can do is add shooters. The third thing is to add more off the ball motion and screening. The the 4th thing he can do is hire a defensive assistant coach.

But I am not confident any of that will happen.

People know that I was an ardent Woodson supporter because of what he came in saying and what he wanted to accomplish at IU bringing it back to national and big ten relevance after so many years of not being at a high standard outside of about 3 or 4 seasons in the 2000's.

The actions have not matched the words unfortunately and I don't think he has the right mixture of energy and awareness to get the job done. Roster management has not been good and getting the right players to play in today's college game. The good teams appear to be a five of some type with one or two 6'7" to 6'9" players who can play anywhere, a great point guard and great shooting guards or wings.

We are completely flawed, and I don't think that the current staff either has the awareness or leadership to right the flaws. I hate saying that, but it is what it is. I actually believe we have good kids and some with the talent we need but something is not clicking or melding.

I am not one of the guys that ever believes that blowing things up is the best option and still believe that, but leadership and accountability has to change for us to get better.

I loved Tom Allen and his passion for IU, but Dolson made the correct decision to make a change. Again, we have to wait for the results (wins) to see if it was the right choice but so far, I am actually excited for 2024 football season to see what happens.

I had stated that I did not think Dolson wanted to make the same decision on Woodson, but his hand is being severely forced by the performance.

I am an alum, season ticket holder for years and love the player Mike Woodson but I don't believe he has the approach or energy to right the ship. Just my feeble opinion.

Does that fix attitude and effort? Recruiting and roster construction?

Reactions: YOTHN
I think the OP went right over the heads of most people. At least, I hope that’s the case. VBG

Reactions: Shuski
Fixable. Maybe start by sitting this guy.
Look at the rebounding technique, effort by the entire team in that sequence. It's non-existent. Not one person is:

Crashing the board
Getting into position
Finding a man
Arms out to box your man out of position

Literally BASIC FUNDAMENTALS. This is why the tallest front court (all 5 stars) are somehow an awful rebounding team. CMW isn't coaching them if they lack such obvious tools at this point in the season.

People know that I was an ardent Woodson supporter because of what he came in saying and what he wanted to accomplish at IU bringing it back to national and big ten relevance after so many years of not being at a high standard outside of about 3 or 4 seasons in the 2000's.

The actions have not matched the words unfortunately and I don't think he has the right mixture of energy and awareness to get the job done. Roster management has not been good and getting the right players to play in today's college game. The good teams appear to be a five of some type with one or two 6'7" to 6'9" players who can play anywhere, a great point guard and great shooting guards or wings.

We are completely flawed, and I don't think that the current staff either has the awareness or leadership to right the flaws. I hate saying that, but it is what it is. I actually believe we have good kids and some with the talent we need but something is not clicking or melding.

I am not one of the guys that ever believes that blowing things up is the best option and still believe that, but leadership and accountability has to change for us to get better.

I loved Tom Allen and his passion for IU, but Dolson made the correct decision to make a change. Again, we have to wait for the results (wins) to see if it was the right choice but so far, I am actually excited for 2024 football season to see what happens.

I had stated that I did not think Dolson wanted to make the same decision on Woodson, but his hand is being severely forced by the performance.

I am an alum, season ticket holder for years and love the player Mike Woodson but I don't believe he has the approach or energy to right the ship. Just my feeble opinion.

Kudos, well said!

I know it hurts as I loved Woody as a player and thought he might be the guy but not to be.

Thank you for posting Mrs. Woodson.

I had hoped he'd bring some stability. If Dolson pulls the trigger, that's 3 coaches in 8 years. Maybe my view is antiquated. It's just hard to believe that anyone could think that's a good look.

Yes, it's tough to watch the program continue to flounder under an IU great. It's painful to.see the point guard and captain of the '76 team vilified.

It's a tricky task ahead of Dolson. You may be right, he may be forced to make a change at the end of the season. I don't believe he will, or would be allowed to hire a couple of the favorite candidates. I fear that unless IU ends up with someone who's success is proven at this level, well, you know the rest.

Reactions: Shuski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT