ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann

Did a rivals writer say that he failed a physical then later retracted it?

Iirc, there was another rumor here that he was asked, and refused to take the physical.

Edit, adding link

Yeah that’s it. It was gospel to some.

Reactions: Lucy01
The portal only has who it has. It's not a limitless source of ideal players. It still takes time to build a roster, the pieces you need may not be available. Granted it's different from years past but funny how on the one hand people here are saying we can't build sustained success with portal players but on the other hand we expect instant success because we have the portal.
the good thing is we are the only team that recruits the portal, we can get whoever we want out of there

Coaches usually get more than three years, but most coaches aren’t ranked #100 (with big NIL) in year three.
Ughhhh…North Carolina dipped in year 2 and was 90 ish after making a final 2. With many of the team intact. They were 1-9 in quad 1 wins. Who has more NIL? Us? They ended up at 60 with no bid. Should they have fired Davis? Look I’m not happy with Woodson this year but it’s insane to fire him this year. No program is or will be doing that without cause.

Reactions: jaygyure
Ughhhh…North Carolina dipped in year 2 and was 90 ish after making a final 2. With many of the team intact. They were 1-9 in quad 1 wins. Who has more NIL? Us? They ended up at 60 with no bid. Should they have fired Davis? Look I’m not happy with Woodson this year but it’s insane to fire him this year. No program is or will be doing that without cause.
Stop. Did Woody win 29 games and make the Championship game? That is called earning time, including a pass on the next year. End of argument.

Carolina is a great example of when they axed Doherty after three years (without cause, they must have been insane) and picked up Roy Boy.

Whatever. Enjoy Woody next year.

Stop. Did Woody win 29 games and make the Championship game? That is called earning time, including a pass on the next year. End of argument.

Carolina is a great example of when they axed Doherty after three years (without cause, they must have been insane) and picked up Roy Boy.

Whatever. Enjoy Woody next year.
No but he did get IU back into the tournament and 2nd in the B1G. Also, they had Roy in the bag. We don’t have a Roy to bag. Big difference.

No but he did get IU back into the tournament and 2nd in the B1G. Also, they had Roy in the bag. We don’t have a Roy to bag. Big difference.
That team was mediocre, weak conference, we all know this. Ended with a signature Woody blow out in the 2nd round. Not comparable.

We don’t have Roy but anyone is better than Woody and we can pay a lot.

Another example is UK ditching Bill G after two seasons (they must be really insane) and getting Cal. That’s a top program move.

Whatever. Go Woody go.

Matta would be similar to Roy...just saying...

The cracks in Woody's coaching foundation are canyon sized, at this point. And those cracks were more than evident during his first two years.

I'm basically only advocating moving on Woody this year, if we have someone like Matta...or heck, on a more dreamy side, Donovan... in the fold.

In all likelihood, Woody will be back. And absent someone in the fold of the caliber that those 2 gentlemen represent, I'd say Woody deserves a chance to prove this year is an anomaly. There are enough foundational issues, that I would be very surprised if he did prove he's worthy next year. But again, outside a homerun type guy to replace him, he probably deserves that chance.

Matta would be similar to Roy...just saying...

The cracks in Woody's coaching foundation are canyon sized, at this point. And those cracks were more than evident during his first two years.

I'm basically only advocating moving on Woody this year, if we have someone like Matta...or heck, on a more dreamy side, Donovan... in the fold.

In all likelihood, Woody will be back. And absent someone in the fold of the caliber that those 2 gentlemen represent, I'd say Woody deserves a chance to prove this year is an anomaly. There are enough foundational issues, that I would be very surprised if he did prove he's worthy next year. But again, outside a homerun type guy to replace him, he probably deserves that chance.
You have your answer already. IU had a chance and didn’t take it.

That team was mediocre, weak conference, we all know this. Ended with a signature Woody blow out in the 2nd round. Not comparable.

Another example is UK ditching Bill G after two seasons (they must be really insane) and getting Cal. That’s a top program move.

Whatever. Go Woody go.
We were picked to win the big ten last year so I would not call a 12-8 record anything to write home about it was actually underachieving a bit. And the second straight ncaa blowout well yeah that was fun.

They have expectations over there. Not a bunch of liberal morons in their ivory tower making idiotic decisions. Matta was fired for one bad season after multiple FFs, 5 plus B1G titles, etc. Holtmann had made the dance like 8 years straight before last season. And OSU will definitely get someone very good.

But we can't fire Woody as it would reflect badly on the University and scare off future hires with our crazy expectations.
This is inaccurate. OSU did not fire Matta, he quit due to health issues.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
LOL. Whatever. Enjoy the continued downfall of IU hoops and it's zoom action to 15 wins next season.
You are a goof. I’m not defending him per se. I’m stating why the administration isn’t going to move this year. So lol all you want. Gave examples. All you say is “stuff”. Oh and Purdue runs the same stuff. You just can’t distinguish it. Follow the orange ball…

Last edited:
The portal only has who it has. It's not a limitless source of ideal players. It still takes time to build a roster, the pieces you need may not be available. Granted it's different from years past but funny how on the one hand people here are saying we can't build sustained success with portal players but on the other hand we expect instant success because we have the portal.
To me you fill gaps here and there via the portal. You don’t build a team with it. That’s my fear if the worst comes to pass this year. Johnson, Walker graduate. Ware and Mgbako leave for the draft and Gunn and/or Banks leave. With only 1 recruit signed, you’re looking at needing to add 5 or 6 players.

Reactions: kkott
To me you fill gaps here and there via the portal. You don’t build a team with it. That’s my fear if the worst comes to pass this year. Johnson, Walker graduate. Ware and Mgbako leave for the draft and Gunn and/or Banks leave. With only 1 recruit signed, you’re looking at needing to add 5 or 6 players.
That is a lot of portal. All my opinions aside, it’s going to be wild to watch what we end up with. 😳

• Sad
Reactions: BigMobe
I remember people saying that they wanted Holtman , I’m asking you who they wanted him over?

Holtman instead of Miller?
Holtman instead of Woodson?
Holtman instead of Fife?
Holtman instead of Stevens?

the best option isn’t always a good option, it can be the better of two bad choices.
It was year 3 of Miller. People were complaining about how IU's admin is stupid because they could have had Holtmann. Or Mack, but we got Archie instead. They were the shiny new coaching toys of 2019-20.

Since then, Porter Moser, Nate Oats, Dusty May, etc.

It was year 3 of Miller. People were complaining about how IU's admin is stupid because they could have had Holtmann. Or Mack, but we got Archie instead. They were the shiny new coaching toys of 2019-20.

It was year 2. I just found a thread with all the nuggets. Same ones screaming. Holtmann and Mack…with some jay wright…pitino etc sprinkled in. Holtmann and Mack was the top flavors though.

Cody/VO/Watt/Jordy/Yogi playing for he-who-shall-not-be-named......yeah, I see some potential there. Dammit.
In a year where it is glaring how horrid our roster construction is, got to give it to ol Tommy. He built a hell of a team. I mean we would kill for a sophomore Remy on this team. He never played, like 10 mins a game on that squad, and was shooting 48 % from three and could dribble. We got CJ...

I can’t believe you don’t remember the screaming. They wanted Holtmann or Mack because Archie was already terrible his first year. Both had initial success but quickly turned bad after. Funny bunch.

Yes. Miller, Mack and Holtmann were all hired the same time. And now have all been flushed.

Whatever. Go Woody go.
I’m not loving Woody RN either. But “anyone is better than Woody” is a stupid thing to say.

It isn't limitless but you take ONE player that Woodson went after on this team and it is an ENTIRELY different team and IMO with a much better record.
And that player is Knecht. He is averaging 20 points, almost 5 rebounds with 40% from 3.

It was year 2. I just found a thread with all the nuggets. Same ones screaming. Holtmann and Mack…with some jay wright…pitino etc sprinkled in. Holtmann and Mack was the top flavors though.
I know among the basketball guys, we were viewed as having gotten the best of the bunch in Miller. Bilas for example, was very high on him.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It isn't limitless but you take ONE player that Woodson went after on this team and it is an ENTIRELY different team and IMO with a much better record.
And that player is Knecht. He is averaging 20 points, almost 5 rebounds with 40% from 3.
Still need a ball handler too though with XJ's injury. And one that could also make a 3 would've helped a ton.

I’m not loving Woody RN either. But “anyone is better than Woody” is a stupid thing to say.
You know what I mean, come on. It’s a hyperbole to make a point. Let me rephrase your honor: there are 25+ college bball coaches we could hire that would be better than Woody.

Reactions: GThomas
I know among the basketball guys, we were viewed as having gotten the best of the bunch in Miller. Bilas for example, was very high on him.
It’s sad to be right and wrong all at the same time. It’s like fighting over who has the better turd.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
A relative is on Butler's board and apparently has a fair amount of say in athletics. When Holtmann left they said 'not a loss, we can do better' and I thought that was just putting on a brave face. A couple years later right after IUs second good fb season they said Allen was 'a clown, one of the worst coaches in the big ten' and told me 'you'll see' when I pointed out two historically successful seasons. Panned the Woodson hire, was surprised about it.

I'm beginning to think I should ask that person who IU should hire next. LOL.

(Edit: Looked up their record under LaVall Jordan. Coach after Holtmann. I guess I won't ask...)

• Wow
Reactions: BigMobe

and yet my gut tells me any of those 3 would be better than where we are. I wish I didn't feel that way!
yeah, I don’t feel one iota better about IU after the OSU news.

It’s not like that makes the Miller hiring smarter. Maybe Mack or Holtmann or any other up and coming coach would have been a much better hire. Or, maybe (alas), we could have hired (insert name of can’t miss superstar coach here) and they too would have bombed.

As each day passes I’m feeling more and more that our struggles our systemic. I don’t see how anyone could defend the IU admin.

Reactions: BleedinGold
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT