ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann

dbmhoosier

Hall of Famer
Nov 23, 2005
Likely gone. They could hire away Dusty. Buckner won't allow Dolson to move on until next season. We are f*****.

I wonder if Thad Matta would have interest in going back to OSU?

Likely gone. They could hire away Dusty. Buckner won't allow Dolson to move on until next season. We are f*****.

This happen to us with Matta and Stevens. Thad would have been the move after Davis but OSU beat us to the punch by 2 years because we held onto Davis too long. Stevens might have taken the IU after making 2 final fours. At that point he was 117-25 for his career record and 11-4 in the NCAA tournament with 2 final games under his belt. Crean was 28-66 over 3 years with no post season at all. We held on to Crean. We will hold on to Woody and somone else will hire May or Schertz.

I can’t believe you don’t remember the screaming. They wanted Holtmann or Mack because Archie was already terrible his first year. Both had initial success but quickly turned bad after. Funny bunch.
I remember people saying that they wanted Holtman , I’m asking you who they wanted him over?

Holtman instead of Miller?
Holtman instead of Woodson?
Holtman instead of Fife?
Holtman instead of Stevens?

the best option isn’t always a good option, it can be the better of two bad choices.

I remember people saying that they wanted Holtman , I’m asking you who they wanted him over?

Holtman instead of Miller?
Holtman instead of Woodson?
Holtman instead of Fife?
Holtman instead of Stevens?

the best option isn’t always a good option, it can be the better of two bad choices.
You are overthinking this.

I’m surprised that he wasn’t successful there. I didn’t back him for IU but thought he was better than other options.

I’m surprised that this was done in-season.
They have expectations over there. Not a bunch of liberal morons in their ivory tower making idiotic decisions. Matta was fired for one bad season after multiple FFs, 5 plus B1G titles, etc. Holtmann had made the dance like 8 years straight before last season. And OSU will definitely get someone very good.

But we can't fire Woody as it would reflect badly on the University and scare off future hires with our crazy expectations.

This happen to us with Matta and Stevens. Thad would have been the move after Davis but OSU beat us to the punch by 2 years because we held onto Davis too long. Stevens might have taken the IU after making 2 final fours. At that point he was 117-25 for his career record and 11-4 in the NCAA tournament with 2 final games under his belt. Crean was 28-66 over 3 years with no post season at all. We held on to Crean. We will hold on to Woody and somone else will hire May or Schertz.
Our timing has been rough...

Matta didn't really become an absolute no brainer, for a job like IU, until he turned OSU in to a power. Hindsight is 20/20, for sure on that one. We definitely held on to Davis for a couple years too long, but no way that Matta was a no brainer hire, for IU, when he was at Xavier.

Stevens was a no brainer. But Crean was in the middle of turning IU in to a power house when the window was there where Stevens was a no brainer candidate, AND he would have considered it. Basically, during/immediately after his 2nd Final Four season would have been that window. Again, a lot of hindsight being 20/20 on this too. With the teams Crean had put together in 11-12 and 12-13, ZERO chance ANYONE would have thought to get rid of him during those years. It didn't take long after the Zeller years, to figure it out, but Stevens was already gone to the NBA at that point.

I think its probably very likely that Dolson and Matta still are close enough that they're on speaking terms. Right now is one of those "right times", that Dolson could act. If Matta would come coach at IU, then I don't see how Dolson doesn't make that move at the season's end. To me, he's the ONLY coach that is enough of a can't miss candidate, to make the move this quickly on Woodson.

If May makes another deep tournament run...I might add him to the list, but he hasn't done that yet. And while his team is ranked, I wouldn't say he's lived up to what their expectations probably were for this year. They've had some bad losses.

I was really high on Beard, and I still am... But obviously his domestic abuse situation is a red flag. AND then I heard a stat in last nights Kentucky game that troubles me. He's 0-13 in his last 13 games against ranked AP teams. That isn't good. That is a prolonged struggle against the better teams on his schedules.

Schertz, the South Carolina guy...too unproven for me to make a move on Woody, right now, for.

Shaka...struggled at Texas...why?

Matta is in the process of solidifying, for me, that he's the best blend of realistic candidate and can't miss success for IU.

Its just whether or not he's on track to become an AD as soon as possible, if he wants to coach for a while longer, and then if he has any desire in getting back into the "big time" or not. If he'd be excited about coaching at IU, I'd have already made that decision if I were Dolson.

Matta didn't really become an absolute no brainer, for a job like IU, until he turned OSU in to a power. Hindsight is 20/20, for sure on that one. We definitely held on to Davis for a couple years too long, but no way that Matta was a no brainer hire, for IU, when he was at Xavier.

Stevens was a no brainer. But Crean was in the middle of turning IU in to a power house when the window was there where Stevens was a no brainer candidate, AND he would have considered it. Basically, during/immediately after his 2nd Final Four season would have been that window. Again, a lot of hindsight being 20/20 on this too. With the teams Crean had put together in 11-12 and 12-13, ZERO chance ANYONE would have thought to get rid of him during those years. It didn't take long after the Zeller years, to figure it out, but Stevens was already gone to the NBA at that point.

I think its probably very likely that Dolson and Matta still are close enough that they're on speaking terms. Right now is one of those "right times", that Dolson could act. If Matta would come coach at IU, then I don't see how Dolson doesn't make that move at the season's end. To me, he's the ONLY coach that is enough of a can't miss candidate, to make the move this quickly on Woodson.

If May makes another deep tournament run...I might add him to the list, but he hasn't done that yet. And while his team is ranked, I wouldn't say he's lived up to what their expectations probably were for this year. They've had some bad losses.

I was really high on Beard, and I still am... But obviously his domestic abuse situation is a red flag. AND then I heard a stat in last nights Kentucky game that troubles me. He's 0-13 in his last 13 games against ranked AP teams. That isn't good. That is a prolonged struggle against the better teams on his schedules.

Schertz, the South Carolina guy...too unproven for me to make a move on Woody, right now, for.

Matta is in the process of solidifying, for me, that he's the best blend of realistic candidate and can't miss success for IU.

Its just whether or not he's on track to become an AD as soon as possible, if he wants to coach for a while longer, and then if he has any desire in getting back into the "big time" or not. If he'd be excited about coaching at IU, I'd have already made that decision if I were Dolson.
Yep. People dismiss timing and if the rumor of Matta and the physical are true then I’m not sure this administration would still consider him. Who actually knows?

They have expectations over there. Not a bunch of liberal morons in their ivory tower making idiotic decisions. Matta was fired for one bad season after multiple FFs, 5 plus B1G titles, etc. Holtmann had made the dance like 8 years straight before last season. And OSU will definitely get someone very good.

But we can't fire Woody as it would reflect badly on the University and scare off future hires with our crazy expectations.
Is this satire? Matta wasn’t fired. Hell he couldn’t even walk. He wasn’t healthy. It was a mutual decision. Took him years to get healthy enough to coach. This is a dumb take and it’s not surprising coming from you.

my theory has always been....we don't get Cody, we get he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Would he have worked out? We'll never know. But, I can't imagine it being any worse than it is now, or has been for many years.

Damn you Cody. This is all your fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT