ADVERTISEMENT

There is going to be big injection of NIL money.

You are building through the recruiting not portal dude
That’s not accurate at all. You keep trying to create a narrative that’s not there. He’s using both the portal and HS recruiting, but he’s relied on the portal for getting them to these heights. Last year the 3 transfers all played major minutes and were critical to their NC run. 2 freshman also contributed heavily in Karaban and Clingan. This year 2 of those transfers, Newton and Diarra, are still there and Newton is their best player. They added Spencer from the portal, who has been critical to their success this season. Only their 5* freshman is playing major minutes out of the 5 freshmen he brought in this offseason. Like I’ve said multiple times in this thread, he’s totally retooled his roster 2 years in a row. He will probably have to do it again after this season. 12 players in 2 seasons is major roster turnover.

• Haha
Reactions: T.M.P. and Lucy01
That’s not accurate at all. You keep trying to create a narrative that’s not there. He’s using both the portal and HS recruiting, but he’s relied on the portal for getting them to these heights. Last year the 3 transfers all played major minutes and were critical to their NC run. 2 freshman also contributed heavily in Karaban and Clingan. This year 2 of those transfers, Newton and Diarra, are still there and Newton is their best player. They added Spencer from the portal, who has been critical to their success this season. Only their 5* freshman is playing major minutes out of the 5 freshmen he brought in this offseason. Like I’ve said multiple times in this thread, he’s totally retooled his roster 2 years in a row. He will probably have to do it again after this season. 12 players in 2 seasons is major roster turnover.
Last year
Sanogo top scorer and three year recruit
Hawkins second leading scorer and two year recruit
Newton 2nd season transfer
Karaban freshman recruit
Clingan freshman recruit

This year only Cam Spencer first year starting transfer player.

He uses the portal judiciously and Cam Spencer sole transfer starter with one year remaining eligibility in last two seasons.

I agree judicious use of portal but not that he relied on the portal in the sense that he was recruiting one year players to build a team. There have always been transfers and junior college players but the portal phenomenon of luring one year players to build a team doesn’t apply to UConn.

His recruiting has been darn good.

Last edited:
After next season there won’t be transfers like Cam Spencer in his fifth year because all the Covid extensions will have expired unless the NCAA decides to just give everyone perpetual eligibility. Some football player has managed a seventh year of eligibility.

After next season there won’t be transfers like Cam Spencer in his fifth year because all the Covid extensions will have expired unless the NCAA decides to just give everyone perpetual eligibility. Some football player has managed a seventh year of eligibility.
It will start over for COVID-24.

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen
Carl Landry probably best JC player for Purdue. Smart and Garrett helped write IU bball history.

Last edited:
Heck at the rate this is goint they will probably grant everyone a covid year forever. They are already got rid of the one time transfer rule after one year and now you can transfer at will. Maybe they will soon let guys play 8 years so we have 26 year olds playing.

Heck at the rate this is goint they will probably grant everyone a covid year forever. They are already got rid of the one time transfer rule after one year and now you can transfer at will. Maybe they will soon let guys play 8 years so we have 26 year olds playing.
26 and still hoping to shoot their way into the NBA. This will be the season they will think.

There were a lot of really good players that played JC ball. Just off the top of my head-McAdoo, Spud Webb, Larry Johnson. and the ones mentioned above. Oklahoma when they were pretty good recruited heavy from JC

What type of culture? I would say that’s the weakness, we don’t have a strong culture.
Returning 6 total guys on your roster and only having one recruit coming isn’t ideal. Hopefully Woody can field a competive team next year but I don’t like how he is setting the culture and building a foundation. He doesn’t have one set at all
New culture is senior day for juniors. Solicit cash payments from students. Have players take all online classes. And the NIL and the portal. Don’t get me started on that hipster rapper at Hoosier hysteria.

Basketball now should be marketed as “ college basketball - it’s unrecognizable!”

Reactions: bsmitty08
New culture is senior day for juniors. Solicit cash payments from students. Have players take all online classes. And the NIL and the portal. Don’t get me started on that hipster rapper at Hoosier hysteria.

Basketball now should be marketed as “ college basketball - it’s unrecognizable!”
i agree for the most part; however, there is a way for iu to do it right in the new landscape and they choose not to try for reasons unknown and one can only speculate upon till it is ended ... i get bad vibes on that

Does anyone know the status of junior college basketball? I don’t notice prominent JC players as there used to be. A main reason previously for a talented player to go the JC route was because he couldn’t meet the NCAA academic standards. I guess the combination of grade inflation and lax NCAA enforcement has eliminated the need for anyone to go JC for academic reasons.

NIL has some funny features. Bronny James should be averaging 60 ppg considering his NIL value. Gabe Cupps has highest estimated value for IU and ranked 73rd in all of college basketball.

I don’t have a subscription so can’t see GC’s numerical value but just see his ranking of 73. These folks claim accurate with respect to actual

Bronny averaged 5 ppg and shot 37% from the field and presumably made about $5 mil for a mediocre freshman season.

Marketing has conquered college basketball convincing to pay big dollars for crap with low value and feel good doing it. Pet Rocks meets college basketball.

Last edited:
I recall watching some ncaa football last fall and a coupld teams had 26 years olds. Just think 26 year olds playing against 18 year olds. Unreal.
That’s happened more than you think. Chris weinke enrolled at FSU when he was 25. Won the heisman at 28. Lots of kickers and a dude at SC was 40 when he played. Not sure the difference between a 20 year old against an 18 year old is any different.

I don't buy it, those who know the value of a dollar aren't very acceptive of funding ineptitude and are surely surrounded by several financial advisors. There must be some other incentive for them to waste money on a very obvious problem.
If the Simon family are fronting most the cash then they don't care. They didn't earn it their parents did. They are just goofy trust fund kids trying to get people to take them seriously and they don't care how much of Daddy's money they have to spend.

Last edited:
If the Simon family are fronting most the cash then they don't care. They didn't earn it there parents did. They are just goofy trust fund kids trying to get people to take them serious and they don't care how much of daddies money they have to spend.
There is a case to be made for very high estate taxes.

If the Simon family are fronting most the cash then they don't care. They didn't earn it there parents did. They are just goofy trust fund kids trying to get people to take them serious and they don't care how much of daddies money they have to spend.
They clearly want to hang around with woodson and tell stories from 40 years ago . Sit in the den smoking cigars and drinking wine. They clearly dont really care about winning all that much.

That’s happened more than you think. Chris weinke enrolled at FSU when he was 25. Won the heisman at 28. Lots of kickers and a dude at SC was 40 when he played. Not sure the difference between a 20 year old against an 18 year old is any different.
That is because weinke was tryig to be a pro baseball player first. That was a very rare case back then. Way way more older guys player now than there was 30 years ago.

That is because weinke was tryig to be a pro baseball player first. That was a very rare case back then. Way way more older guys player now than there was 30 years ago.
It’s still an anomaly that’s not the norm. The average age went from 22 to just under 23. It’s not that big of deal. Once the covid stuff cycles through it’s over. No difference in a 22-26 year old and it’s comical you are making a big deal out of it. Weinke was still “an old man”. Doesn’t matter to you until I pointed it out. Let’s manufacture some more outrage.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT