ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Doyel

It's not just about winning championships, it's about consistently putting yourself in a position to win one. Under TC that hasn't happened. We all know in November what the outcome will be in March (or at least the best outcome). That's what's disappointing. Give us some hope one time!
Since you can forecast the future what is the winning lottery numbers for this week.

It's not just about winning championships, it's about consistently putting yourself in a position to win one. Under TC that hasn't happened. We all know in November what the outcome will be in March (or at least the best outcome). That's what's disappointing. Give us some hope one time!

^^^^^THIS

Nothing else needs to be said . . .

I don't see why y'all are wasting all these electrons. It was God. “We prayed about it and asked the Lord which way we should go, and he directed us in that direction.” ... Dan Scruggs, Paul's father. If God wanted him to go to this PO box school shouldn't that be good enough for us?

Since you can forecast the future what is the winning lottery numbers for this week.
There are some things you can predict and some things you cannot. Lottery numbers are completely random, NCAA basketball results are not.

Things I can say with 99.9% certainty:
Ball State will not win the CFB playoff in 2017
The 49ers will not win the SB in 2017
Bernie Sanders will not win the 2016 presidential election
Alabama FB will have a winning record this year
IUBB will not win a title under TC

See where I'm going with this? Not everything is random chance. Duke, UK, etc aren't just the luckiest teams in America year in and year out. If it was all luck there would be no reason to play the games. Random chance has very, very little to do with results in any sport.

Your point is that Yogi did not win big games since he never got past the sweet 16 and I argue that you win big games to get there.

You're right, Scott. Yogi should be put on the same level as Brady and Manning (you know, the two examples becauseiknow gave as good and winners, because they led their teams to victory).

He's a much better player/leader than Jay Cutler and Harden and Dwight "Harden" (I'm assuming he meant "Howard") and Carmelo Anthony (the players becauseiknow listed as not on that level...)

Or maybe again, you just don't get it.

But really, at this point, you're not likely to.

As usual.

You're right, Scott. Yogi should be put on the same level as Brady and Manning (you know, the two examples becauseiknow gave as examples as good and winners, because they led their teams to victory).

He's a much better player/leader than Jay Cutler Harden and Dwight "Harden" (I'm assuming he meant "Howard") and Carmelo Anthony (the players becauseiknow listed as not on that level...)

As usual.
Never said he should be in those players category but to say he did not lead this team to any big wins is just plain wrong.

Never said he should be in those players category but to say he did not lead this team to any big wins is just plain wrong.

Please show where I posted that he didn't lead Indiana to any big wins.

Be specific.

HINT: The only games I listed were either games Yogi lost or didn't play in.

If you go a Mt rushmore of Football you have: Bama, ND, USC, OSU. Basketball: UK, Duke, UCLA, UNC....but I don't see IU being far from that list or far from getting back on that list. Also go back 10 years and IU is still on the list....they could get back on it just like Bama took back over as the College football power.

We mostly agree and I have indicated IU is probably on the backup Mt. Rushmore located somewhere in Manitoba. :) Though I'm not sure Duke actually belongs on the Mt. Rushmore, not a slamdunk anyway. I also don't agree that if you go back 10 years ago IU is still on that list.

I don't see why y'all are wasting all these electrons. It was God. “We prayed about it and asked the Lord which way we should go, and he directed us in that direction.” ... Dan Scruggs, Paul's father. If God wanted him to go to this PO box school shouldn't that be good enough for us?
I don't really GAFF where he finishes high school. He was never coming to IU either way. I do agree with you though, if the Lord told them to go to CA then that's the only answer.

Last edited:

The last five years he hasn't done that? He's been as consistent as 90% of Big Ten teams, the only two that have been more consistent are Wisconsin and Michigan State. Both of those teams have also had their issues, by the way. No one is immune to this stuff.

We all know in November what the outcome in March will be? No we don't. In November of this year you and the others in your little club predicted we wouldn't even make the NIT. Shall we go back and look at your posts after the rough start? So we're to believe your claims of knowing that you can predict the future, when your postings show you couldn't even predict this past season from November to March. Keep them coming, your posts are so easy to pick apart because there is so much that is untrue.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
You're right, Scott. Yogi should be put on the same level as Brady and Manning (you know, the two examples becauseiknow gave as good and winners, because they led their teams to victory).

He's a much better player/leader than Jay Cutler and Harden and Dwight "Harden" (I'm assuming he meant "Howard") and Carmelo Anthony (the players becauseiknow listed as not on that level...)

As usual.

Yes, Howard. It was late, I'm old. What can I say. Thank you for the correction (I've made it back in the original).

The last five years he hasn't done that? He's been as consistent as 90% of Big Ten teams, the only two that have been more consistent are Wisconsin and Michigan State. Both of those teams have also had their issues, by the way. No one is immune to this stuff.

We all know in November what the outcome in March will be? No we don't. In November of this year you and the others in your little club predicted we wouldn't even make the NIT. Shall we go back and look at your posts after the rough start? So we're to believe your claims of knowing that you can predict the future, when your postings show you couldn't even predict this past season from November to March. Keep them coming, your posts are so easy to pick apart because there is so much that is untrue.
If you would've asked me what the ceiling was last year at any point I would've said Sweet 16. That's become pretty obvious under TC. It's impossible to predict a floor, but much easier to predict a ceiling.

Consistently putting yourself in a position to win a title does not mean knocking off a couple high seeds in the first weekend of the NCAAT. That leaves you with 4 games to go. Consistently putting yourself in a position is making deep runs in the tourney over an extended period of time. TC hasn't even done that once, let alone consistently.

If you would've asked me what the ceiling was last year at any point I would've said Sweet 16. That's become pretty obvious under TC. It's impossible to predict a floor, but much easier to predict a ceiling.

Consistently putting yourself in a position to win a title does not mean knocking off a couple high seeds in the first weekend of the NCAAT. That leaves you with 4 games to go. Consistently putting yourself in a position is making deep runs in the tourney over an extended period of time. TC hasn't even done that once, let alone consistently.

Define consistently? What you've described no one has done since John Wooden.

I didn't say anything about the ceiling, I said what your prediction was in November and December after a rough start. Care to rehash what your prediction was, since you claimed in this thread we all know in November what will happen in March? You didn't know in Nov and December what would happen in March, nor did 90% of the members of your little club. So if that's the case, why should we believe your false statements now? No one knows what is going to happen. That's why they play the tournament.

The post you responded to originally said some players don't get respect from other players because they don't bring their team wins.

Did Yogi bring his team wins on the level of Brady or Manning?

Or even Carmelo Anthony? (Who, btw, helped win his team the school's only National Title...)

That was the point.

And for the umpteenth time, it escapes you.

Reactions: hoosierdug
We mostly agree and I have indicated IU is probably on the backup Mt. Rushmore located somewhere in Manitoba. :) Though I'm not sure Duke actually belongs on the Mt. Rushmore, not a slamdunk anyway. I also don't agree that if you go back 10 years ago IU is still on that list.
agree to disagree

IU has cooled on Scruggs? I bet if he committed today they would gladly welcome him.

I think X is the clear favorite and IMO, a lot has to do with a more likely path to solid playing time. I think IU realizes that they aren't the favorites. While I'd prefer Mack over Crean, I don't believe he is turning away IU because Crean would be negative towards his career development. Maybe now that he going West some of the West Coast schools have a better shot at turning the tables. Who knows. He may get to California and want to stay in that part of the country.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? ;)

I'm not defending Dan or Mike. If it were my choice, I'd want PS to remain close to home to see him play this winter.

But it's not my choice. Or anyone else's - except Paul's and his family. It may work out, it may not. I'm just floored at how adults on here call him selfish and a cancer when there wasn't a peep out of them when he left Attucks for Southport.

Reactions: hoosierdug
IU has cooled on Scruggs? I bet if he committed today they would gladly welcome him.

I think X is the clear favorite and IMO, a lot has to do with a more likely path to solid playing time. I think IU realizes that they aren't the favorites. While I'd prefer Mack over Crean, I don't believe he is turning away IU because Crean would be negative towards his career development. Maybe now that he going West some of the West Coast schools have a better shot at turning the tables. Who knows. He may get to California and want to stay in that part of the country.
By playing time, do you mean more than in blocks of 5-6 minutes and you get pulled, even if you're on fire?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Ten years ago, for four positions on Mt. Rushmore

Who you got?
UK, UCLA, IU, UNC
Ten years ago IU 5 national titles 8 final fours
UK 7 national title 13 final fours
ucla 11 national titles 16 final fours
UNC 4 national title and 16 final fours

Ten years ago Kansas had 2 national titles and 12 final fours
Duke had 3 national titles and 14 final fours

These would be my top 6

UK, UCLA, IU, UNC

These would be my top 6
Agree. To argue anyone else besides the obvious 4 would just be insane.

haha. do the edges of that big, big world include MSU, OSU, Louisville? :)

but reality, as always, is somewhere in the middle. Yes, kids have more options and think on a different geographic scale today. but some coaches are able to get more good local or regional talent than our coach. look at the rosters Izzo and Ryan and Matta put together while going on their great runs. the advantages of getting these kids is immense.

so, yes, it's a different world but the formula for success in the big ten and then nationally remains the same. of course crean can build a juggernaut while using a lot of east coast kids but he just hasn't yet...
But ...

Indiana population = 6.6 million.
Ohio population = 11.6 million.
Michigan population = 9.9 million.
Wisconsin population = 5.7 million.

The idea that Matta or Izzo are magically better at putting together a roster of "more good local or regional talent" doesn't fly for me. Hell if you consider that the Region, South Bend/Elkhart and Fort Wayne (plus Marion, Kokomo and Lafayette) are in the north part of Indiana, I'd think Izzo is recruiting in part based on "driving distance to Lansing ain't all that bad."

Maybe Bo Ryan gets some credit but Wisconsin isn't tiny and I think he and his offense were a special case ( irrelavant and long gone now).

UK, UCLA, IU, UNC

These would be my top 6

Here is where the debate will come in and why IU was not considered then (10 years ago) to be on Mt. Rushmore. It may because you are too young to understand this, but here goes.

IU had the national titles, but didn't have the Final Fours, meaning they didn't have the consistency of playing for the big prize on a more consistent basis. When we got there, we tended to win it all, but too many times we couldn't get there. That was the knock and a legitimate one. The other consideration was when we won some of our titles. The NIT was considered the true mark of the best team in the country for many years. The NCAA tournament started in 1939, with our first NCAA title in 1940. The 1953 title, the same thing.

Basketball historians mark the flipping point of when the NCAA surpassed the NIT in the mid 1950's, specifically 1957 when UNC beat Kansas in triple OT. IU won their second NCAA title in 1953.

UK, UCLA, IU, UNC

These would be my top 6

Ten years ago I think a random group of college basketball fans would have replaced IU with Duke. In 2006 it had been 19 years since IU won a title while Duke had won three, and been a runner up three times, since our last title.
Sure we had 2more titles but those were in the 50's! 10 years ago we were a "blue blood" but no longer on Mt. Rushmore.

Ten years ago I think a random group of college basketball fans would have replaced IU with Duke. In 2006 it had been 19 years since IU won a title while Duke had won three, and been a runner up three times, since our last title.
Sure we had 2more titles but those were in the 50's! 10 years ago we were a "blue blood" but no longer on Mt. Rushmore.

Actually one was in 1940, the other in '53. Otherwise, I think you are dead on correct what most fans would have said.

Here is where the debate will come in and why IU was not considered then (10 years ago) to be on Mt. Rushmore. It may because you are too young to understand this, but here goes.

IU had the national titles, but didn't have the Final Fours, meaning they didn't have the consistency of playing for the big prize on a more consistent basis. When we got there, we tended to win it all, but too many times we couldn't get there. That was the knock and a legitimate one. The other consideration was when we won some of our titles. The NIT was considered the true mark of the best team in the country for many years. The NCAA tournament started in 1939, with our first NCAA title in 1940. The 1953 title, the same thing.

Basketball historians mark the flipping point of when the NCAA surpassed the NIT in the mid 1950's, specifically 1957 when UNC beat Kansas in triple OT. IU won their second NCAA title in 1953.
I disagree when you go nt rushmore of programs IU deserved on then. You are just arguing against IU because you are not an IU fan.

I disagree when you go nt rushmore of programs IU deserved on then. You are just arguing against IU because you are not an IU fan.

WHAT? You've gone off the edge now. Is DCDavid also not an IU fan? Give me a break. I've been a fan probably before you were a fantasy in your dad's eyes.

But ...

Indiana population = 6.6 million.
Ohio population = 11.6 million.
Michigan population = 9.9 million.
Wisconsin population = 5.7 million.

The idea that Matta or Izzo are magically better at putting together a roster of "more good local or regional talent" doesn't fly for me. Hell if you consider that the Region, South Bend/Elkhart and Fort Wayne (plus Marion, Kokomo and Lafayette) are in the north part of Indiana, I'd think Izzo is recruiting in part based on "driving distance to Lansing ain't all that bad."

Maybe Bo Ryan gets some credit but Wisconsin isn't tiny and I think he and his offense were a special case ( irrelavant and long gone now).

not sure what state populations have to do with anything. is there a direct correlation between pop and D1 talent? not really

seriously, look up the rosters of the teams Ryan, Izzo, Matta (or even Beilein) made all those deep tourney runs with. lots more instate kids and kids from neighboring states than our guy is getting.

Also Duke had went to the final four 6 out of 7 years between 86-92. Also Duke almost did almost as much in the 20 years from 86-06 that IU had done in their history

Also Duke had went to the final four 6 out of 7 years between 86-92. Also Duke almost did almost as much in the 20 years from 86-06 that IU had done in their history
"Almost" doesn't equal "as much" or "more", Scott. Even you should be able to understand that (though we realize that's asking a lot from you).

Reactions: Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT