ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS thread for election nerds.

I don't know. You haven't pointed out what "special benefit" Ebenezer gets, you've just repeated losing campaign talking points... What "Govt money" are you claiming they get, and more importantly WHEN did they START getting it?

What exactly are you claiming changed for Ebenezer from Jan 4, 2021 (before the runoff) to now? How in the hell is a political organization like Focus on the Family eligible for the religion tax exemption? If you want to complain about churches abusing their tax exempt status, there are a lot more serious cases than whatever you're accusing Ebenezer of that come to mind...
Like I said before - you're fine with politicians being corrupt as long as they have a D beside their name.

Just be honest about it - you're not voting for some morally superior candidate, no matter how you try to spin it.

Reactions: Lucy01
If that's what he's saying, he's not very smart. No one has accused Warnock of that. Not even conservative media made that claim.
The original post was by Spartan and said the money went to the church's business partners.

Tomato Tomahto

The original post was by Spartan and said the money went to the church's business partners.

Tomato Tomahto

That also wouldn't be true. The money was earmarked for a public works project (building a trail), which would benefit (i.e., connect to) a building project owned by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, but developed by Columbia Ventures. Columbia Ventures also happens to own 1% of the low income housing referenced in that article (the church owns the other 99%).

The money did not go to the church, and it did not go to the church's business partners.

That also wouldn't be true. The money was earmarked for a public works project (building a trail), which would benefit (i.e., connect to) a building project owned by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, but developed by Columbia Ventures. Columbia Ventures also happens to own 1% of the low income housing referenced in that article (the church owns the other 99%).

The money did not go to the church, and it did not go to the church's business partners.
Lucy, do you agree?

• Sad

If the church owns 99%, the money is going to the church.

• Love
If the church owns 99%, the money is going to the church.
You're not paying attention. The money didn't go to any of them. The money was earmarked to build a public trail, which happened to connect to the Casey Foundation property, which had nothing to do with the church. The only connection is that the company developing the Casey property also happens to own 1% of the church's housing development. The church didn't get the money. Casey didn't get the money. Columbia didn't get the money.

Reactions: UncleMark
You're not paying attention. The money didn't go to any of them. The money was earmarked to build a public trail, which happened to connect to the Casey Foundation property, which had nothing to do with the church. The only connection is that the company developing the Casey property also happens to own 1% of the church's housing development. The church didn't get the money. Casey didn't get the money. Columbia didn't get the money.
Got it.

Then there's this.

"Ebenezer Baptist Church, which pays Warnock a sizable $7,417 monthly housing allowance as its senior pastor, is 99% owner of the Columbia Tower at MLK Village, where residents have received eviction notices for owing as little as $25.88 in past-due rent, according to documents obtained by The Washington Free Beacon."

Got it.

Then there's this.

"Ebenezer Baptist Church, which pays Warnock a sizable $7,417 monthly housing allowance as its senior pastor, is 99% owner of the Columbia Tower at MLK Village, where residents have received eviction notices for owing as little as $25.88 in past-due rent, according to documents obtained by The Washington Free Beacon."
Yeah, there's that. So maybe the church is a slum lord. But the accusation that Warnock funneled money to the church or their business partner is entirely unsupportable, and that's the particular accusation that's eaten up several pages of this thread.

Reactions: DANC

Also think @Spartans9312 should give his take on this.

Like I said before - you're fine with politicians being corrupt as long as they have a D beside their name.

Just be honest about it - you're not voting for some morally superior candidate, no matter how you try to spin it.

Tomato Tomahto

Again Warnock is a Senator, not a Governor. All he can do is vote yes or no on bills, so exactly how did he "direct Funds" anywhere? He's only been a Senator for about 21 months, so what specific legislation are you suggesting that he authored that directed funds somewhere?

And if it was opposed by the GOP why didn't we hear about it before, where we could take stock of which of his fellow Senators approved or disapproved of it? Instead of now as some sort of phony issue by a candidate who is days away from losing?

You just continue to talk in abstracts, and I'm starting to believe that you don't even know how to present the evidence to demonstrate your point. You just latch onto an indiscriminate talking point, without understanding the actual facts.

I've asked you repeatedly to explain what you mean by "he directed funds" when you try and ascribe that to someone who is not in the Executive Branch (like a POTUS or state Governor) who has no power to issue an Executive Order?

Again Warnock is a Senator, not a Governor. All he can do is vote yes or no on bills, so exactly how did he "direct Funds" anywhere? He's only been a Senator for about 21 months, so what specific legislation are you suggesting that he authored that directed funds somewhere?

And if it was opposed by the GOP why didn't we hear about it before, where we could take stock of which of his fellow Senators approved or disapproved of it? Instead of now as some sort of phony issue by a candidate who is days away from losing?

You just continue to talk in abstracts, and I'm starting to believe that you don't even know how to present the evidence to demonstrate your point. You just latch onto an indiscriminate talking point, without understanding the actual facts.

I've asked you repeatedly to explain what you mean by "he directed funds" when you try and ascribe that to someone who is not in the Executive Branch (like a POTUS or state Governor) who has no power to issue an Executive Order?
This is what they were talking about:

As I have already explained above, it did not improperly direct funds to Warnock, his church, or his church's business partners. That's simply the conclusion that the Washington Free Beacon wanted its readers to come to on their own with their wink-wink-nudge-nudge writing.

Got it.

Then there's this.

So the Beacon has suddenly developed a social consciousness and pretends it cares about poor folks. Were any of those folks who received eviction notices actually evicted? Because the info I've seen says that has not happened...

And while the Beacon wants to pretend that a $90,000 or so housing allowance for a 17+ yr Pastor at a church in metro-Atlanta is somehow excessive, I'm pretty sure that amount doesn't begin to touch the amounts right wing Pastors (which the Beacon supports) get from their respective "churches".

I'm a little curious why the Beacon would try and portray Warnock getting less than $100,000/yr from his church for housing as "excessive", and totally ignore a wing nut like Kenneth Copeland using funds from his church (which is basically his corporation) to purchase a fleet of aircraft and build his own private airport? Can you explain the difference? By all accounts Warnock uses the money allocated for his housing for it's intended purpose- Housing...

As I have already explained above, it did not improperly direct funds to Warnock, his church, or his church's business partners. That's simply the conclusion that the Washington Free Beacon wanted its readers to come to on their own with their wink-wink-nudge-nudge writing.
Well the Beacon certainly knows the level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity within it's readership...:)

I wonder how the Beacon feels about Herschel filming campaign ads from his $3 Million house in Dallas? And I gotta believe that only Herschel would be stupid enough to commit tax fraud by claiming that his house in Texas was his primary residence, in order to get a measly $2000 deduction on his Texas tax bill while he's running for Senate in GA...

When you're at a campaign rally in GA, and you start to discuss why you decided to run to replace that state's (GA) Senator, I'm not sure how you don't realize the words "I was sitting in my home in Texas" should not come out of your mouth.

I could be wrong, but I believe for a variety of reasons that Walker is toast. Still it seems he's just intent on providing more and more reasons for people not to go thru the bother of going out to vote for him...

• Haha
I’m working. I haven’t read your link. I provided link as to where I got the info. IF it’s wrong then I’ll own it.

I also look forward to you making sure all of Cosmic and Hickory’s drivel proves accurate in the future
I'm only in this thing because your mistaken claim turned into like six pages of bullshit in this thread. Not your fault! At all! But I wouldn't be involved if it was a one-off. It turned into a big thing, so that's why I bothered to look it up. Blame Danc and Lucy.

• Haha
I'm only in this thing because your mistaken claim turned into like six pages of bullshit in this thread. Not your fault! At all! But I wouldn't be involved if it was a one-off. It turned into a big thing, so that's why I bothered to look it up. Blame Danc and Lucy.
Like I said…I’ll own a mistake if I made one.
I own the one that Aloha responded to as well.

I’m working. I haven’t read your link. I provided link as to where I got the info. IF it’s wrong then I’ll own it.

You posted a link to some web page that in turn linked to the Free Beacon article. I read the article. It tried it's best to paint Warnock in a bad light, but since it wasn't willing to put up bald faced lies and could only state the facts, it was obvious there really wasn't any there there, no matter how slanted they wanted to be.

Reactions: cosmickid

I also look forward to you making sure all of Cosmic and Hickory’s drivel proves accurate in the future
Yes, because I am constantly posting lies lmao. Sarcasm btw

You posted a link to some web page that in turn linked to the Free Beacon article. I read the article. It tried it's best to paint Warnock in a bad light, but since it wasn't willing to put up bald faced lies and could only state the facts, it was obvious there really wasn't any there there, no matter how slanted they wanted to be.
Ok

I’ll own it.
You're a reasonable guy, so I'm not surprised you'll own it. I would only ask - and forgive me for the arrogance of doing so - that you consider that you got a little bit snookered here, and fell for something that less reputable people on your side were peddling. I know you wouldn't spread such things willingly, so it has to have been a mistake. But maybe such a mistake requires taking a step back and slowing down. I certainly know how that works on the other side.

You're a reasonable guy, so I'm not surprised you'll own it. I would only ask - and forgive me for the arrogance of doing so - that you consider that you got a little bit snookered here, and fell for something that less reputable people on your side were peddling.

You beat me to it. Spartans is a straight shooter. We've all been "snookered" by something that has come across our screen that we just knew was the big gotchya we wanted to see.

For a guy who's allowed 6 years of bullshit claims about 'Russian Collusion', you are very selective about who you're blaming for pages of discussion.

To be fair to you, the slander on Aloha came from Danc, not you. And Danc has conspicuously refused to acknowledge his mistake.
I said I understood your explanation.

I didn't slander your hero - I pointed out he was wrong about there not being any rules about Senators accepting money from outside sources.

• Love

I didn't slander your hero - I pointed out he was wrong about there not being any rules about Senators accepting money from outside sources.
You keep saying that, in a very general sense regarding rules and what constitutes "outside sources"? But you never provide a link to these so called "rules"? Meanwhile I posted examples of both Senators and House members (you never specifically limited it to Senators before this post) who obviously obtained money from "outside sources".

Look if there is a RULE please link to the rule so we can see exactly what it says. That's the only way rational people can determine if what you accuse Warnock of is true and only unique to Warnock, and exactly what rule was violated...

It's not that hard, if the facts are on your side...

I'm a little tired of baseless accusations regarding facts. Opinions are one thing, obviously that is subjective. But I usually link my sources, so if you've got an example over the past 6 months where I claimed something was a fact and I was proven wrong, you can link that and I'll own up to it...

Not claiming I'm infallible or anything of the sort. But there are so many obvious trolls on this board who never deal with facts, and that's not my game. So I don't appreciate being lumped in as if I'm one of the right wing trolls...

• Haha
You keep saying that, in a very general sense regarding rules and what constitutes "outside sources"? But you never provide a link to these so called "rules"? Meanwhile I posted examples of both Senators and House members (you never specifically limited it to Senators before this post) who obviously obtained money from "outside sources".

Look if there is a RULE please link to the rule so we can see exactly what it says. That's the only way rational people can determine if what you accuse Warnock of is true and only unique to Warnock, and exactly what rule was violated...

It's not that hard, if the facts are on your side...
I'm not going to look up the 'rules' when it's common knowledge.

Let it go because you're defending a losing position.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Dude, I was not wrong. I said Senators can have income outside of their Senate salaries. They always have and do. That’s a fact. You don’t argue in good faith. You should work on that.

Dude, I was not wrong. I said Senators can have income outside of their Senate salaries. They always have and do. That’s a fact. You don’t argue in good faith. You should work on that.
I believe you said there is not rule against it. You're wrong. Dude. There are rules.

Don't blame me for you making an open-ended statement that was wrong. You should work on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT