ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS nerd thread

She's underperformed as a leader since she was one, and everyone hates her. You don't put up as your symbol the one everyone hates.
Well, I’m not sure everyone hates her. She’s primarily responsible for holding healthcare together. I understand we need new blood. But I also think we are headed into some unchartered territory here and Ned experience. It’s just a little strange to me that even the Dems have their villains and they all just happen to be women. Who gets as much heat as Maxine Waters, Nancy Pelosi, and Hilary Clinton?

Well, I’m not sure everyone hates her. She’s primarily responsible for holding healthcare together. I understand we need new blood. But I also think we are headed into some unchartered territory here and Ned experience. It’s just a little strange to me that even the Dems have their villains and they all just happen to be women. Who gets as much heat as Maxine Waters, Nancy Pelosi, and Hilary Clinton?
I think you should know me better than to suggest something like that.

It's just pure misogyny in the democratic party.

I did bet on politics one year for a living ;)

could barely trade tonight as the site was crashing constantly. I think the people behind Gillum, Abrams, etc had confirmation bias. I.e. they were so in love with the candidate that they could not objectively evaluate the state and its views.

Frankly, I think the democratic party is way off on their strategy and this thread is a good reflection of it. This was a very bad day for democrats assuming that Scott holds on.

Nobody in the country wants to listen to Pelosi for the next 2 years.....she's been around natl leadership for 16 fkn years. Most people get tired of their spouses in half that time..... how do you think they feel about seeing her face for that long?

Add that she reps possibly the most liberal district in the country, is 80+ years old, and has zero connection in any of the areas of the country that matter when winning....... just bad branding.

Reactions: hoosboot
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/politics/nancy-pelosi-fundraising-democrats/index.html
I mean I don’t have any strong affinity for her, it just seems that the right makes her a bogeyman so we just go along with it.
The problem isn't that the right makes her a bogeyman. The problem is that the center does. And also that, despite her protestations otherwise (which I totally believed and appreciated during this election cycle), she doesn't really seem to believe that you can be a Democrat unless you believe as she does. We need a big tent. I don't think she's a big tent leader. That's all it really is.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I don't beat any of them down. See my previous post. I think Pelosi is the wrong leader for a Big Tent Democratic Party. That's it.
I didn’t mean you in particular, just in general. I think on MSNBC or CNN they said she was just going to do it for a short time.

Not the point. Having the Gov of a major swing state of the same party is a big infrastructure advantage.

Yes it isa big infrastructure advantage,
Winning both the OH and FL governorships is big for the Republicans.
Also, do districts get drawn (gerrymandered) again in 2020? If so, having those governors could prove to be crucial.

Reactions: twenty02
I just think it’s weird. Seriously, what man gets the kind of beat downs that these three do?

Are there lots of liberals on here complaining about Maxine Waters? I haven't seen it. It seems like you haven't noticed that, there are plenty of male Democrats who take beat downs...and African-Americans who take beat downs...and Caucasians who take beat downs...and gays who take beat downs...and straights who take beat downs...you get the idea. Some of our conservative brethren here treat Democrats of all the above flavors and beyond as evil incarnate. It's par for the course. Democrats just need to be strategic about it and twenty did a pretty good job of identifying the issues with a Pelosi Speakership. It really seems like you're just looking for something to complain about here.

But, if not, make the compelling Pelosi for Speaker case. I also haven't seen anybody make that one either (and I'd suggest it's because there really isn't one.)

Yes it isa big infrastructure advantage,
Winning both the OH and FL governorships is big for the Republicans.
Also, do districts get drawn (gerrymandered) again in 2020? If so, having those governors could prove to be crucial.

Don't think they would go into effect until 2022.

Gerrymandering is being challenged pretty hard around the country right now, too

Reactions: largemouth
Looks like mcaskill is dunzo. This is simply a very bad night for democrats. Dunno how anyone could say otherwise.

Did the dems hit a grand slam? No.
That being said, not winning the house would have been “a very bad night”. They won the house and that is big. I hope they have the balls to make the 4,000,000 Benghazi investigations look like a walk in the park.
I used to not be this way but after years of Gowdy, Issa, Nunes etc I hope Kharma comes back tenfold.

Are there lots of liberals on here complaining about Maxine Waters? I haven't seen it. It seems like you haven't noticed that, there are plenty of male Democrats who take beat downs...and African-Americans who take beat downs...and Caucasians who take beat downs...and gays who take beat downs...and straights who take beat downs...you get the idea. Some of our conservative brethren here treat Democrats of all the above flavors and beyond as evil incarnate. It's par for the course. Democrats just need to be strategic about it and twenty did a pretty good job of identifying the issues with a Pelosi Speakership. It really seems like you're just looking for something to complain about here.

But, if not, make the compelling Pelosi for Speaker case. I also haven't seen anybody make that one either (and I'd suggest it's because there really isn't one.)
I’m not talking about on here, I’m talking about in general. I just really can’t think of a Dem guy that gets the kind of disrespect that those three do. I think Chuck Schumer actually deserves more heat than he gets. I’m not looking for anything to complain about, I just find it strange that those three are the ones most avidly criticized by Republicans especially, but then also Dems. I’ve asked a couple times and haven’t had an answer, what male Dem takes the type of criticism these guys all get?

And I’m happy. Prop 1 passed in Michigan, where I spend most of my summer.

Just want to point out about Chicago burbs...there are a LOT of people there...a lot of white, wealthy people.....that trudge into the city on the trains every morning, and return to their $500k-$1m home every night. And every of those districts has gone blue.

Illinois folks got killed by the $10k cap on deducting property/income tax. Chicago burbs have the ugliest property tax I've seen in any place in the nation....and these folks got hit pretty decent.

Just another fracture....

I’ve asked a couple times and haven’t had an answer, what male Dem takes the type of criticism these guys all get?

Um...Barack Obama. IMHO, none of the three you mention get more flack than Obama did.

But, also Bill Clinton. John Kerry. Yes, Schumer, Durbin, Cuomo, Rahm, Barney Frank, Biden, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

All kinds of people do. If you're a Democrat with a significant profile, you're going to get lots of criticism from the right. Look at the criticism that Cory Booker and Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren and Beto are all starting to get. It's what happens.

So, make a compelling case for Pelosi for Speaker. I don't see you rushing to do it, so that leaves me thinking that your complaint rings a little bit hollow.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Um...Barack Obama. IMHO, none of the three you mention get more flack than Obama did.

But, also Bill Clinton. John Kerry. Yes, Schumer, Durbin, Cuomo, Rahm, Barney Frank, Biden, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

All kinds of people do. If you're a Democrat with a significant profile, you're going to get lots of criticism from the right. Look at the criticism that Cory Booker and Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren and Beto are all starting to get. It's what happens.

So, make a compelling case for Pelosi for Speaker. I don't see you rushing to do it, so that leaves me thinking that your complaint rings a little bit hollow.
That’s not my point, I never even said I thought she should. I asked a question as to why people hate her so much. We will have to agree to disagree. I don’t think they get the same type of criticism, particularly within their own party.

That’s not my point, I never even said I thought she should. I asked a question as to why people hate her so much. We will have to agree to disagree. I don’t think they get the same type of criticism, particularly within their own party.

I'll say it again.....she's been around too long....and she was Speaker during a very politically charged time during the ACA....it was the largest legislative "win" that one side will see for decades. She should have done a walk-off at that point, in 2010 once they lost.

The mid terms is also a peek into the future of the country. Diversity.

Democrats Ilhan OImar and Rashida Tlaib are also expected to make history in Minnesota and Michigan respectively as the first Muslim women elected to Congress.

Democrats Sharice Davids of Kansas and Debra Haaland from New Mexico are set to become the first Native American women elected to Congress.

Ms Davids, a lesbian former cage-fighter, is also the first openly gay representative from Kansas.

I'll say it again.....she's been around too long....and she was Speaker during a very politically charged time during the ACA....it was the largest legislative "win" that one side will see for decades. She should have done a walk-off at that point, in 2010 once they lost.

Meanwhile, what I'm seeing says Dems will pick up as many as 37 seats in the House. That's north of what I was predicting.

Meanwhile, what I'm seeing says Dems will pick up as many as 37 seats in the House. That's north of what I was predicting.

vs the GOP picking up 63 in 2010?

Was a very blah blue night....right on the "average" scale...at best. You look at what could be a GOP landslide in the Senate..... and a lot of big scale Gov races.....

It's basically a turd for the Dems. Only thing worse would have not won the House.

Anyone that argues this was a good night for the Dems is spinning.

Reactions: IUJIM
Sincerely just trying to be helpful, and not trolling (would post it to anyone).

It's bellwether. A wether is a castrated sheep, and shepherds would hang a bell around one's neck to lead the flock, thus bellwether.

did they use the peanut butter method back then?

Nevada Senate has flipped blue. Walker goes down in Wisconsin governor's race.

Still a pretty solid night for the Dems outside of the Senate, and a point or two swing there would have made it a good night.

That doesn't help.

[Bummer about the Hannity joke. I was proud of that one.]
I really don't get what the big deal is about Hannity (who I don't like). Everyone knows he supports Republicans like everyone knows that the majority of journalist are Democrats. We all know they are taking sides by the articles they write and what they say so don't make a pretense of being non-biased because they aren't.

Reactions: stollcpa

Late to this thread because I was binging on Jack Ryan rather than this drivel. The problem with Pelosi is that she doesn't seem to represent a New Democratic Party that I (meaning, a lot of people) would be enthusiastic about joining/supporting. She's everything that makes me want to pull the big R lever, regardless of the name next to the R. If you're going to have a Big Blue Wave of Change, do you really want to prop up a symbol of the old stagnant puddle as your leader?

Someone above mentioned branding. She's just terrible branding.

cc75f805c2_why-brands-fail-branding-coke-png.png

Missouri passed a law creating a redistricting czar whose duty is to create non partisan competitive races.

Arkansas and Missouri voted to increase their minimum wages.

And of course Florida's felon voting law.

It seems some Democratic ideas did well in deep red territory.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/7/18055848/medicaid-expansion-idaho-nebraska-utah

Medicaid expansion in Idaho/Nebraska/Utah passed. Michigan's redistricting amendment passed too.

Medicaid expansion was a real hot button issue for the right just a few years ago. It does seem some Democratic ideas are filtering into red states. I know Idaho's expansion is very basic, but even that was refused by the state legislature forcing the ballot initiative. Think about how popular the idea must be to win by 22 points in Idaho. Though a vote to continue expansion in Montana failed after big tobacco sank $12 million in to help defeat it. Still, some Democratic ideas did quite well in very red states.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT