ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS nerd thread

I think they are losing pretty much exactly as bad as expected. The Dems are slightly overperforming in the House, slightly underperforming in the Senate, and probably breaking even on the state level.
Huh? They lost most of the state races that they poured money into. Florida, Georgia, Ohio, etc. And Georgia wasn’t even close.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
No, they really aren't.
It seems that, once again, polling failed in its specifics - individual races, if not the generalities - Dems win House, Pubs hold Senate. I think in the end the Pubs will hold more Senate seats than predicted - 54 or 55. Nonetheless, polling has missed again reflecting the liklihood that pollsters cannot figure out a valid sample representing the actual electorate.

Reactions: Noodle
Huh? They lost most of the state races that they poured money into. Florida, Georgia, Ohio, etc. And Georgia wasn’t even close.
They poured money into a lot more than that, including some places they shouldn't have. But that's not what I'm talking about. It terms of numbers, the GOP is doing slightly better in the Senate than expected (but well within the margin), while the Dems are doing slightly better in the House than expected (but well within the margin). I don't see what's so surprising about tonight.

It seems that, once again, polling failed in its specifics - individual races, if not the generalities - Dems win House, Pubs hold Senate. I think in the end the Pubs will hold more Senate seats than predicted - 54 or 55. Nonetheless, polling has missed again reflecting the liklihood that pollsters cannot figure out a valid sample representing the actual electorate.
It seems to me that the pollsters have done about as well as they usually do, which is pretty darn good, comparatively speaking. They got the broad strokes just about right, which is all you can expect. A few individual races here and there will always be wrong. The pollsters thought Donnelly would win a close one. He lost a close one. They thought Pete Sessions would win rather handily. He lost. It happens. But overall, they got it pretty much right.

Reactions: twenty02
Looks like they need to build more Women's bathrooms at the Congress. Apparently 100 women have been voted in.
Not blue wave but the female wave.

It seems to me that the pollsters have done about as well as they usually do, which is pretty darn good, comparatively speaking. They got the broad strokes just about right, which is all you can expect. A few individual races here and there will always be wrong. The pollsters thought Donnelly would win a close one. He lost a close one. They thought Pete Sessions would win rather handily. He lost. It happens. But overall, they got it pretty much right.

The polls basically predicted the outcome, Federally..they are very good on the national level with gauging national opinion.

The state-level polling leaves a lot to be desired.

The polls basically predicted the outcome, Federally..they are very good on the national level with gauging national opinion.

The state-level polling leaves a lot to be desired.
The problem is they don't do enough state-level polling. That was the big problem in 2016, and it continues to be a problem. I guess there isn't the money there to do it? Which is hard to believe in a midterm that cost 475 bazillion dollars.

I am not sure losing by 10% is “losing a close one”.

Good grief.....Pelosi speaking.... the Dem leadership reminds me of visiting my 90 yr old grandfather.

They need to trash their seniority system ASAP.

Reactions: Morrison
I don’t get the Pelosi hate...from Dems that is. Can someone explain?

The problem is they don't do enough state-level polling. That was the big problem in 2016, and it continues to be a problem. I guess there isn't the money there to do it? Which is hard to believe in a midterm that cost 475 bazillion dollars.

Plenty of polls in FL. Gillum was up in almost every one.....that's what a polling error looks like...something systemic that they are doing.... Same issue as 2016 for that state.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...a_governor_desantis_vs_gillum-6518.html#polls

And Indiana had plenty enough polls....and 538 had JD at a 70-80% chance to win.... and he got smoked.

Plenty of polls in FL. Gillum was up in almost every one.....that's what a polling error looks like...something systemic that they are doing.... Same issue as 2016 for that state.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...a_governor_desantis_vs_gillum-6518.html#polls

And Indiana had plenty enough polls....and 538 had JD at a 70-80% chance to win.... and he got smoked.
Florida is going to end up within the margin. Indiana...well, I won't defend that until I see the final numbers. Looks like a big swing-and-a-miss at the moment, I can't deny that.

But over 50 states, you will get some misses. Overall, the pollsters are doing just as well as they've always done, which is "not bad, not bad at all."

This. She is not helping the Ds. Why keep trotting her out to be the boat anchor? Plus the Ds need to build the bench.
And I personally don't hate her at all. I think she's great. But I also thought Franken was great. He was one of the best Senators we had. But see how quickly he became dead weight? Pelosi has been dead weight for years. Sometimes you need to leave sentimentality behind and just do what's best to keep the boat from sinking. Time to throw Pelosi overboard.

Reactions: largemouth
Florida is going to end up within the margin. Indiana...well, I won't defend that until I see the final numbers. Looks like a big swing-and-a-miss at the moment, I can't deny that.

But over 50 states, you will get some misses. Overall, the pollsters are doing just as well as they've always done, which is "not bad, not bad at all."

Within the MOE for one poll.....not for 20+ polls that averaged out at nearly +3-+4

Pollsters are great, I love statistics. Actually enjoyed it in college, when everyone seemed to hate it.

And I personally don't hate her at all. I think she's great. But I also thought Franken was great. He was one of the best Senators we had. But see how quickly he became dead weight? Pelosi has been dead weight for years. Sometimes you need to leave sentimentality behind and just do what's best to keep the boat from sinking. Time to throw Pelosi overboard.

If her strategic prowess, political instincts, fundraising acumen, or leadership abilities were standout, it might merit considering her despite that negative anchor in perception, but they aren't. She's a fine representative for her district and a voice of significance, but I don't see the value of her being the driver of the House Democratic agenda.

Within the MOE for one poll.....not for 20+ polls that averaged out at nearly +3-+4

Pollsters are great, I love statistics. Actually enjoyed it in college, when everyone seemed to hate it.

I'll tell you something hilarious... I was at the palm beach party democratic headquarters a few weeks ago and they were telling me to try and encourage people to come out for nelson as well as Gillum because they were worried about that Nelson was underperforming. I thought the entire race that Nelson would outperform Gillum. Sure enough I was right. Gillum's policies were too left for Florida. He left some Nelson voters on the table. One race is called and the other isn't completely over.

If her strategic prowess, political instincts, fundraising acumen, or leadership abilities were standout, it might merit considering her despite that negative anchor in perception, but they aren't. She's a fine representative for her district and a voice of significance, but I don't see the value of her being the driver of the House Democratic agenda.
That's what it amounts to. Nothing wrong with her, as her. Just isn't right for leadership because she doesn't provide enough to make up for the negatives.

I'll tell you something hilarious... I was at the palm beach party democratic headquarters a few weeks ago and they were telling me to try and encourage people to come out for nelson as well as Gillum because they were worried about that Nelson was underperforming. I thought the entire race that Nelson would outperform Gillum. Sure enough I was right. Gillum's policies were too left for Florida. He left some Nelson voters on the table. One race is called and the other isn't completely over.

You called it when Gillum was nominated, that he would lose.

Looks like Steve King will survive...as the only Republican from Iowa.

Edit: To be clear, he's currently up by 151 votes with many thousands outstanding. That's just what the talking heads are saying.

Looks like Steve King will survive...as the only Republican from Iowa.

At least the Alt-right will have a seat at table of doing nothing. Being a minority house member with zero leadership means he'll be going to Post Office openings for the next 2 years.... or ranting on fringe TV

Reactions: largemouth
You called it when Gillum was nominated, that he would lose.

I did bet on politics one year for a living ;)

could barely trade tonight as the site was crashing constantly. I think the people behind Gillum, Abrams, etc had confirmation bias. I.e. they were so in love with the candidate that they could not objectively evaluate the state and its views.

Frankly, I think the democratic party is way off on their strategy and this thread is a good reflection of it. This was a very bad day for democrats assuming that Scott holds on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT