ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS nerd thread

The vote share margin in house elections seems poised to be 9%...that is huge. That this doesn't translate into a whopping majority in the house is due to massive gerrymandering. Takeaway...Trumpism is not popular in the country. But your point that Trumpism is far more popular than it should be is also true.

They will run massive margins in California. Losing Florida sucked though. That was very unexpected.

They will run massive margins in California. Losing Florida sucked though. That was very unexpected.
for 2020 the 40% of african american men in Florida who had been disenfranchised are no longer disenfranchised.

Great night for Trump, IMO. He's going to get big cushion in the Senate (for judges, cabinet replacement, etc), a bare min majority Dem House. His strategy worked, and now he'll get to beat up on House Dems for the next 2 years.

Great night for Trump, IMO. He's going to get big cushion in the Senate (for judges, cabinet replacement, etc), a bare min majority Dem House. His strategy worked, and now he'll get to beat up on House Dems for the next 2 years.

The Democrats have lost the senate for a VERY long time.

Not a bad night for Trump, but not a bad night for Dems, either. Senate wasn't going to happen, most likely, we all knew that, but they are going to get a workable majority in the House, plus some good results in state races.

Oh I don’t think it’s so great. The investigations will begin in January.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yea, perhaps. How many votes does that translate to. This was a very, very poor result.
Only in the Senate, where it is terrible. If the House can get to mid 30s, that was at expectation. Some governors switched as well.

The Senate loss is why I think Kavanaugh is the watershed. The Dems seem to perform as expected in the House (maybe?) and underperform in the Senate.

Only in the Senate, where it is terrible. If the House can get to mid 30s, that was at expectation. Some governors switched as well.

The Senate loss is why I think Kavanaugh is the watershed. The Dems seem to perform as expected in the House (maybe?) and underperform in the Senate.
Don't forget, one thing no one is talking about, there are a number of state legislative chambers up in the air, too.

This was one of the worst maps the Dems have ever faced. Don't read too much into it. Don't get me wrong, the Senate is certainly slanted toward the GOP, but this year was uniquely bad for the Dems.

i've posted this before, but take a look at the 2020 and 2022 map. There are literally no pickup opportunities.

Tonight was an absolute disaster. The house is up every 2 years and has little power.

Edit link:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...enate-map-couldnt-have-come-at-a-better-time/

The democrats will not reclaim the Senate for YEARS. YEARS.

His strategy worked, and now he'll get to beat up on House Dems for the next 2 years.
You've got that backwards. His admin is going to spend the next two years answering subpoenas and giving testimony.

The democrats will not reclaim the Senate for YEARS. YEARS.
I think it was 1988, Dem pollster Patrick Caddell said the Democrats could not win the presidency before the end of the century. 2 years ago the debate was if the GOP could survive.

Politics has a very short memory. If a Dem governor can win in Kansas, why can't Dem Senators?

Reactions: largemouth
i've posted this before, but take a look at the 2020 and 2022 map. There are literally no pickup opportunities.

Tonight was an absolute disaster. The house is up every 2 years and has little power.

Edit link:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...enate-map-couldnt-have-come-at-a-better-time/
There were "no" pickup opportunities in 2012, but the Dems did, anyway. That's one reason this year was so difficult. 2020 and 2022 are much better maps than this year, no question.

Your link proves my point.

I think it was 1988, Dem pollster Patrick Caddell said the Democrats could not win the presidency before the end of the century. 2 years ago the debate was if the GOP could survive.

Politics has a very short memory. If a Dem governor can win in Kansas, why can't Dem Senators?
And a Dem is about to win in Oklahoma City. You just never know in this business.

Serious question:

What does it mean if the Blue Wave and Red Wall both happen?

It looks like the Dems are going to continue to run their chip-chip-chip-marathon-beats-a-sprint victory in the House, along with pickups in a number of state races, but at the same time, the GOP will at least hold firm in the Senate, and probably pick up two or three seats. So, what does it mean that two different and opposite (in theory) possibilities both seem to be coming true?

Serious question:

It looks like the Dems are going to continue to run their chip-chip-chip-marathon-beats-a-sprint victory in the House, along with pickups in a number of state races, but at the same time, the GOP will at least hold firm in the Senate, and probably pick up two or three seats. So, what does it mean that two different and opposite (in theory) possibilities both seem to be coming true?
It means we are psychotic as a nation?

The Senate map was anti Dem. The House map was anti GOP. The votes seem to reflect that.

Serious question:

That not much has really changed from 2 years ago..... that's my takeaway.

It means we are psychotic as a nation?

The Senate map was anti Dem. The House map was anti GOP. The votes seem to reflect that.
Yes, on the maps. But what about the divergence? Donnelly could have won. Pete Sessions could have won. But they didn't. All the House seems to be breaking Dem. All the Senate seems to be breaking GOP. What does that say? Besides psychosis?

That not much has really changed from 2 years ago..... that's my takeaway.

I don't know how anyone could consider this anything other than a bad night for the Dems. They are losing all 50/50 senate seats and some senate seats they were favored in. Ohio and Florida Gov both lost. House they are holding serve.

Yes, on the maps. But what about the divergence? Donnelly could have won. Pete Sessions could have won. But they didn't. All the House seems to be breaking Dem. All the Senate seems to be breaking GOP. What does that say? Besides psychosis?

The margin is about +9 overall. So it means that the electoral system is the only reason these races are competitive. Rural america is favored by the map.

I don't know how anyone could consider this anything other than a bad night for the Dems. They are losing all 50/50 senate seats and some senate seats they were favored in. Ohio and Florida Gov both lost. House they are holding serve.
How you can call these Senate losses bad while calling these House gains "holding serve" is...hard to fathom.

Ever-growing divide between urban/suburban areas that have strong economies that absorb most of the GDP growth...vs rural/regional towns that have not.

Pete Sessions district has had large population growth/transplants... and a super charged job market.

Don't say that.
That one was a no doubter that I offered to bet a couple of liberal friends on. Neither took the $50 bet. It's not because I like Cruz (I don't) or dislike O'Rourke (I don't), it's because it never seemed the polls matched the hype for Beto. I've actually heard the guy on the radio and except for some very left ideas I'm not good with, I like his essentially positive tone. We need more of that. We've not had a lot of that in recent years.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT