ADVERTISEMENT

The assault on New College

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
So I know most of the right wing posters love DeSantis and in their eyes he can do no wrong. But exactly what is the beneficial rationale to staging a coup and replacing the current trustees of New College with 6 personal political appointments, some of whom have no ties to FL (Hillsdale religious zealot Spalding) and Ruffo (anti-CRT crusader and political hack) spring to mind.

In fact here is the press release from Ronnie's office, and these biographies really stretch to make these people sound qualified to "revise" a University they have no previous ties to. I mean Ruffo's "qualifications" are that he is a "senior fellow" at the Manhattan Institute and a tv documentarian with ties to "Conservative Governors"? Now that's impressive...:rolleyes: This list is a joke...

And exactly what needs to be "fixed" at New college which only has 672 or so enrolled students, who are extremely happy with their situation? Or at least they were happy...

And why shouldn't they be? I have no idea how US News rankings are currently viewed among academic ranking snobs, but I assume that they still carry some weight. So I'm not sure how Ron can argue with a straight face that New College was in need of better academic quality. Because they were ranked as the #5 PUBLIC school in the 2022-23 Best college rankings...

And before someone wants to reply with some DANC level of nonsense about "wokeness" influencing the rankings, be advised that the top 4 public schools ranked higher are in order US Navy,West Point, Air Force and VMI. So exactly how does a fruitcake idealogue like Ruffo figure to improve their academic standing?

In addition this Beast article which spawned this thread maintains that New College is also known for "pumping out Fullright Scholars", and when I checked I saw 86 in the 55 yrs since 1968.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tiny-college-hijacked-woke-obsessed-021158986.html

So exactly how does paying Corcoran ($700,000) which is more than twice the salary of his predecessor benefit anyone but DeSantis and his cronies/political allies? One of the alumni who is helping to lead the fight back effort from students,faculty,parents and alumni is an Associate Professor at Oxford.

So with a litany of extremely successful alumni as testament to the school's academic prowess, how does DeSantis's Chief of staff telling the Daily Caller that the goal is to turn New College into "the Hillsboro of the South" remotely strike anyone with half a brain as sensible or desirable?

And now comes word that Florida's GOP is flirting with switching their standardized testing from the SAT to the CLT which is characterized as a "classical and Christian alternative"? And they are contemplating eliminating AP courses altogether. What's next, Ruffo as the nationwide curriculum Czar?

IMHO, this is why DeSantis will never win a general election nationally. He's too much of an idealogue and borderline religious zealot/authoritarian to win in battleground states.

The more these sort of dictatorial moves are exposed, the less appealing he will be to moderates. I think appearing with both Mastriano and Lake at rallies in PA and AZ respectively were moves that will help him in GOP Primaries, but video that will come back to haunt him in both states should he be the GOP nominee.

Last edited:
So I know most of the right wing posters love DeSantis and in their eyes he can do no wrong. But exactly what is the beneficial rationale to staging a coup and replacing the current trustees of New College with 6 personal political appointments, some of whom have no ties to FL (Hillsdale religious zealot Spalding) and Ruffo (anti-CRT crusader and political hack) spring to mind. In fact here is the press release from Ronnie's office, and these biographies really stretch to make these people sound qualified to "revise" a University they have no previous ties to. I mean Ruffo's "qualifications" are that he is a "senior fellow" at the Manhattan Institute and a tv documentarian with ties to "Conservative Governors"? Now that's impressive...:rolleyes: This list is a joke...

And exactly what needs to be "fixed" at New college which only has 672 or so enrolled students, who are extremely happy with their situation? Or at least they were happy...

And why shouldn't they be? I have no idea how US News rankings are currently viewed among academic ranking snobs, but I assume that they still carry some weight. So I'm not sure how Ron can argue with a straight face that New College was in need of better academic quality. Because they were ranked as the #5 PUBLIC school in the 2022-23 Best college rankings...

And before someone wants to reply with some DANC level of nonsense about "wokeness" influencing the rankings, be advised that the top 4 public schools ranked higher are in order US Navy,West Point, Air Force and VMI. So exactly how does a fruitcake idealogue like Ruffo figure to improve their academic standing?

In addition this Beast article which spawned this thread maintains that New College is also known for "pumping out Fullright Scholars", and when I checked I saw 86 in the 55 yrs since 1968.

So exactly how does paying Corcoran ($700,000) which is more than twice the salary of his predecessor benefit anyone but DeSantis and his cronies/political allies? One of the alumni who is helping to lead the fight back effort from students,faculty,parents and alumni is an Associate Professor at Oxford. So with a litany of extremely successful alumni as testament to the school's academic prowess, how does DeSantis's Chief of staff telling the Daily Caller that the goal is to turn New College into "the Hillsboro of the South" remotely strike anyone with half a brain as sensible or desirable?

And now comes word that Florida's GOP is flirting with switching their standardized testing from the SAT to the CLT which is characterized as a "classical and Christian alternative"? And they are contemplating eliminating AP courses altogether. What's next, Ruffo as the nationwide curriculum Czar?

IMHO, this is why DeSantis will never win a general election nationally. He's too much of an idealogue and borderline religious zealot/authoritarian to win in battleground states. The more these sort of dictatorial moves are exposed, the less appealing he will be to moderates. I think appearing with both Mastriano and Lake at rallies in PA and AZ respectively were moves that will help him in GOP Primaries, but video that will come back to haunt him in both states should he be the GOP nominee.
My guess is woke is killing it. His salary is absurd but so too are the salaries of professors all over Fla. Smart for Desantis to address the New College. I haven't read deeply into this but I know about the school and have been on the campus. It suffers from a number of issues but wokeness isn't helping. They set out five or so years ago with an aggressive campaign to increase enrollment and it failed miserably. the student population is on the decline and Desantis should intervene. Life is expensive. Inflation hurts. People are more and more looking to education as a pipeline to a career that pays. A liberal, liberal, LIBERAL arts degree is a tough sell in that environ. education for the sake of edification isn't tenable anymore, for most people. What's more it has a goofy system for transferring that isn't congruent with the other universities in Fla so it makes transferring hard. The school is in need of some revisions. No idea if the people he’s appointing are the right people for it.

As for my woke diatribe I'd be curious to hear how the New School (not college) is doing. As it's long been thought of as the "legit" school to attend if you're a far left type, producing a ton of great scholarship.

finally fla is the fastest growing state in america. he's a dick and weird but he's doing a lot right

Last edited:
So I know most of the right wing posters love DeSantis and in their eyes he can do no wrong. But exactly what is the beneficial rationale to staging a coup and replacing the current trustees of New College with 6 personal political appointments, some of whom have no ties to FL (Hillsdale religious zealot Spalding) and Ruffo (anti-CRT crusader and political hack) spring to mind.

In fact here is the press release from Ronnie's office, and these biographies really stretch to make these people sound qualified to "revise" a University they have no previous ties to. I mean Ruffo's "qualifications" are that he is a "senior fellow" at the Manhattan Institute and a tv documentarian with ties to "Conservative Governors"? Now that's impressive...:rolleyes: This list is a joke...

So exactly how does paying Corcoran ($700,000) which is more than twice the salary of his predecessor benefit anyone but DeSantis and his cronies/political allies? One of the alumni who is helping to lead the fight back effort from students,faculty,parents and alumni is an Associate Professor at Oxford.

So with a litany of extremely successful alumni as testament to the school's academic prowess, how does DeSantis's Chief of staff telling the Daily Caller that the goal is to turn New College into "the Hillsboro of the South" remotely strike anyone with half a brain as sensible or desirable?

IMHO, this is why DeSantis will never win a general election nationally. He's too much of an idealogue and borderline religious zealot/authoritarian to win in battleground states.

The more these sort of dictatorial moves are exposed, the less appealing he will be to moderates. I think appearing with both Mastriano and Lake at rallies in PA and AZ respectively were moves that will help him in GOP Primaries, but video that will come back to haunt him in both states should he be the GOP nominee.
He’s obviously trolling left wing hacks like you…

Obviously....

But you did throw the word woke around a few times. Congrats. Your conservative overlords would be proud
Poor dumb hickory
Declining enrollment after making increasing a priority and supporting same with capital
Poor transferring process
Too liberal in a job oriented milieu

that community is exploding. lakewood ranch alone should support a school five times that enrollment.

Did you miss those points

Very first sentence is bullshit.

Who, exactly, has said DeSantis can do no wrong?

More meaningless word salad from the king of meaningless word salad.
The ringling college of art and design has twice as many students.

New college is clearly not popular and a mess. Why the prez makes so much is another story.

Very first sentence is bullshit.

Who, exactly, has said DeSantis can do no wrong?

More meaningless word salad from the king of meaningless word salad.
Probably based on most conservative posters defending all of his crap in the past...like trying to defend him flying immigrants across country for political stunt

Probably based on most conservative posters defending all of his crap in the past...like trying to defend him flying immigrants across country for political stunt
Is that similar to a politician in New York shuttling immigrants to Canada or people on a very well to do island getting rid of some unwanted immigrants by shipping them to an airfield?

Asking for a friend.

Is that similar to a politician in New York shuttling immigrants to Canada or people on a very well to do island getting rid of some unwanted immigrants by shipping them to an airfield?

Asking for a friend.
So your best deflection is 2 wrongs make a right?

And that is even assuming your yabbut is even accurate

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
My guess is woke is killing it. His salary is absurd but so too are the salaries of professors all over Fla. Smart for Desantis to address the New College. I haven't read deeply into this but I know about the school and have been on the campus. It suffers from a number of issues but wokeness isn't helping. They set out five or so years ago with an aggressive campaign to increase enrollment and it failed miserably. the student population is on the decline and Desantis should intervene. Life is expensive. Inflation hurts. People are more and more looking to education as a pipeline to a career that pays. A liberal, liberal, LIBERAL arts degree is a tough sell in that environ. education for the sake of edification isn't tenable anymore, for most people. What's more it has a goofy system for transferring that isn't congruent with the other universities in Fla so it makes transferring hard. The school is in need of some revisions. No idea if the people he’s appointing are the right people for it.

As for my woke diatribe I'd be curious to hear how the New School (not college) is doing. As it's long been thought of as the "legit" school to attend if you're a far left type, producing a ton of great scholarship.

finally fla is the fastest growing state in america. he's a dick and weird but he's doing a lot right
DeSantis is doing this so he can say he did it during Republican primary debates.

Reactions: UncleMark
DeSantis is doing this so he can say he did it during Republican primary debates.
of course he's doing it for political reasons. but it's also a school with declining enrollment when a campaign was undertaken to increase it. and again lakewood ranch alone should support a school larger than that. in it's current iteration it's obviously not an appealing school

Obviously....

But you did throw the word woke around a few times. Congrats. Your conservative overlords would be proud
Left wing d-bags invent the concept of “woke” and now want it to disappear because its ridiculous and being leveraged against them. Reap what you sow douchebags.

The wackos on the left are the same as the wackos on the right. All a group of losers who have no good intentions to help the public. These groups and those who worship them are all a bunch of ASSHOLES.

Last edited:
of course he's doing it for political reasons. but it's also a school with declining enrollment when a campaign was undertaken to increase it. and again lakewood ranch alone should support a school larger than that. in it's current iteration it's obviously not an appealing school
Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea what's good and bad about New College. I suspect no one here does. I doubt even DeSantis does.

Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea what's good and bad about New College. I suspect no one here does. I doubt even DeSantis does.
Declining enrollment. 660 kids from 800. They funded a campaign to get to 1,200 and lost students. That’s what’s bad. In an area of 750,000. What they are selling has little appeal. Time to revise it. Place is gorgeous. Right on the bay. Should be a simple sell

660 kids. 90 faculty. It’s not a good model. It’s a woke participation trophy school. transferring is too hard. etc. That’s what’s bad. Sometimes things are what they are

Last edited:
Your racist opposition to immigrant’s leaving the border states (“they should stay where they belong and out of our neighborhoods”) has been noted.

They still have to pass.
And they aren’t the first to play with traditional grading. ND law has for years. But it’s the totality of the new college and st the end of the day they are only attracting 660 kids in an area that’s exploding with students crawling all over to get to fla publics. Ucf is the biggest school in the country. The model at the new college isn’t appealing.

And they aren’t the first to play with traditional grading. ND law has for years. But it’s the totality of the new college and st the end of the day they are only attracting 660 kids in an area that’s exploding with students crawling all over to get to fla publics. Ucf is the biggest school in the country. The model at the new college isn’t appealing.

Is their goal to be a big university? I really do not know. Their US News ranking is pretty good. But I have no 8dea how good they really are or if a low enrollment is a sign of a problem or is by design.

Is their goal to be a big university? I really do not know. Their US News ranking is pretty good. But I have no 8dea how good they really are or if a low enrollment is a sign of a problem or is by design.
Low enrollment is a failure inasmuch as they were trying to increase enrollment and initiated a campaign toward that end. They were at 800 plus, strived for 1,200, and have fallen to 600 plus. Attracting students to Fla schools is fishing in a barrel. Look at the enrollments, not at uf and fsu, but at ucf, fiu, fau, usf. It’s insane.

With respect to the quality of education it may be totally fine. May be great. But the student faculty ratio is like 6/1 and students clearly aren’t attracted to it - for a number of reasons. So Desantis is right to look into and of course it’s his win win by politicizing it

Low enrollment is a failure inasmuch as they were trying to increase enrollment and initiated a campaign toward that end. They were at 800 plus, strived for 1,200, and have fallen to 600 plus. Attracting students to Fla schools is fishing in a barrel. Look at the enrollments, not at uf and fsu, but at ucf, fiu, fau, usf. It’s insane.

With respect to the quality of education it may be totally fine. May be great. But the student faculty ratio is like 6/1 and students clearly aren’t attracted to it - for a number of reasons. So Desantis is right to look into and of course it’s his win win by politicizing it
So they suck at marketing. That calls for a hostile takeover?

So they suck at marketing. That calls for a hostile takeover?
This is what we need to start COH U. We'll start our own college. broker a deal to rent space from the new college. they want 1,200 students, have 600 plus. They should have plenty of space. in two years we'll overtake the new college and we'll lease a few classrooms to them for CRT classes. if things don't take off like I think they will we'll pivot to Crypto U. There should be a ton of floridians champing at the bit for that

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Shrug. You must know way more about this school than I do.

Regardless, DeSantis just made another cynical political move. Everything he's done for the past two years at least has been calculated to help him win the nomination in 2024. This is no different.

Shrug. You must know way more about this school than I do.

Regardless, DeSantis just made another cynical political move. Everything he's done for the past two years at least has been calculated to help him win the nomination in 2024. This is no different.
I used to live in Sarasota. And I looked it up. I like college stuff. And agreed on Desantis

So your best deflection is 2 wrongs make a right?

And that is even assuming your yabbut is even accurate
I had to bring it down to your level. If you would like to raise the level a little bit, the policy was designed to bring attention to a problem that both the Federal Government and the media in the US was loath to address.

So.etimes political stunts serve a purpose and are necessary. Deal with it.

If Desantis could get past the 24/7 culture wars he might have a shot.

I understand that he is trying to tap dance for some of Trump's base, but few moderates are going to stomach 20 months of this.
It will be him and Biden and some useless 3rd party candidates that next to no one is going to vote for. Everybody acts like DeSantis is just culture wars. He is wildly popular in Florida, there no moderates there?

Parents don't like the "woke" junk in school. Youngkin rode that wave to Governor in Virginia. The problem the people arguing against DeSantis are going to have is that everyone reacts to the hyperbole put out by his opponents as opposed to what is actually being done. Like the whole, "Don't Say Gay" misnomer on that particular bill. What the actual bill proposed is backed by a majority of people in the country. He is a guy that can string sentences together so it won't be Trump and Biden word salad when he gets a chance to make his case to the public.

It will be him and Biden and some useless 3rd party candidates that next to no one is going to vote for. Everybody acts like DeSantis is just culture wars. He is wildly popular in Florida, there no moderates there?

Parents don't like the "woke" junk in school. Youngkin rode that wave to Governor in Virginia. The problem the people arguing against DeSantis are going to have is that everyone reacts to the hyperbole put out by his opponents as opposed to what is actually being done. Like the whole, "Don't Say Gay" misnomer on that particular bill. What the actual bill proposed is backed by a majority of people in the country. He is a guy that can string sentences together so it won't be Trump and Biden word salad when he gets a chance to make his case to the public.
You must be looking at dbm's polls if you think the majority support the don't say gay bill lmao

• Haha
I would take 100 bots over 1 hickory
He is emblematic of quite a bit of that segment of the left. There are echo chambers on each side of the aisle. I think that left one is pretty heavily pronounced because it rarely if ever gets punctured by mainstream culture. If Hickory is on Twitter, Reddit, quite a bit of the "quick hit/hot take" mainstream media, then it becomes easy to think you are in the majority when really 70%! of the country disagrees with you. (And when do Americans agree on anything that much?)

He doesn't have to agree with me, but if he spent a little time looking into what is being discussed here instead of smashing the 😂 on every post, he might at least get a realistic view of the world.

I understand that he is trying to tap dance for some of Trump's base, but few moderates are going to stomach 20 months of this.
But you’re okay with the way that Biden is running the Country?

He might have a shot? He would be comfortably ahead Biden in head to head polls. Also, I’d wager he would win the majority of independents.

Left of center people might not like it, but that’s because they are on the other side of the culture war and were never going to vote for a Republican candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT