ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS thread for election nerds.

70khxf.jpg

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
We do that a lot, but I wonder if there really is a distinction.

Madison made a big difference between the two and that certainly weighs heavily.

Britannia mentions the two terms were used interchangeably. TJ was a "Democratic-Republican" and John Marshall said we were a "well regulated democracy". And de Tocqueville called us a democracy.

It may be we argue a semantic that does not matter. And now that the Senate is direct elect, maybe we are more democratic?

The Britannia article is interesting.

We do that a lot, but I wonder if there really is a distinction.

Madison made a big difference between the two and that certainly weighs heavily.

Britannia mentions the two terms were used interchangeably. TJ was a "Democratic-Republican" and John Marshall said we were a "well regulated democracy". And de Tocqueville called us a democracy.

It may be we argue a semantic that does not matter. And now that the Senate is direct elect, maybe we are more democratic?

The Britannia article is interesting.
I prefer to think that republic refers to the constitutional form of government, while democracy refers to the broader concept that ultimate political power rests with the people. So we are both, just as the UK is both a monarchy and a democracy, but the UK is not a republic.

Smith isn’t quite conceding in CA-27, but she’s awfully close to it.

The Republicans still need 5 other uncalled races.

The Dems have a huge problem in every demographic other than single white women.
It’s because the Dem party allows the progressive, coastal wing to continue on with what Pubs call “woke”. I don’t know hardly any white men, black men, Hispanic men, Hispanic women, black women, and few Asians, who agree with some of this crap they’re promoting regarding gender stuff, etc. I agree with Bill Maher on his criticisms of the Dem party, and like him, I’d probably identify as a “coastal elite” to an extent.

It’s personified in the letter that the East Coast liberal elites sent the Biden campaign in 2020, making the argument for him to select Warren for VP. The head spinning argument was basically that the Harvard yard progressives understand people of color more than actual people of color, because they teach it, research it, and wtite intellectual articles on the subject in respectable publications. Hell, we even write books about how black folks are supposed to feel about things!

It was disrespectful to the idea of Harris as VP, even though she’s really one of them. That’s how confusing, inconsistent, and hypocritical some of the progressive social agenda had become. I’m a fan of Obama, but honestly, he’s from that wing of the party but sees it’s a political loser.

The Dem party needs to figure out how to unite the liberal, social progressives with the working class Dems like Tim Ryan, or it will never reach its electoral potential. Josh Shapiro really does this well.

I don’t think the Dems will learn the lesson by 2024, and will nominate Harris. If the Pubs nominate DeSantis, the campaign will be all about culture wars, which is unfortunate. DeSantis would run on culture issues, and Harris would be forced to defend the very things that most Americans don’t agree with.

It’s because the Dem party allows the progressive, coastal wing to continue on with what Pubs call “woke”. I don’t know hardly any white men, black men, Hispanic men, Hispanic women, black women, and few Asians, who agree with some of this crap they’re promoting regarding gender stuff, etc. I agree with Bill Maher on his criticisms of the Dem party, and like him, I’d probably identify as a “coastal elite” to an extent.

It’s personified in the letter that the East Coast liberal elites sent the Biden campaign in 2020, making the argument for him to select Warren for VP. The head spinning argument was basically that the Harvard yard progressives understand people of color more than actual people of color, because they teach it, research it, and wtite intellectual articles on the subject in respectable publications. Hell, we even write books about how black folks are supposed to feel about things!

It was disrespectful to the idea of Harris as VP, even though she’s really one of them. That’s how confusing, inconsistent, and hypocritical some of the progressive social agenda had become. I’m a fan of Obama, but honestly, he’s from that wing of the party but sees it’s a political loser.

The Dem party needs to figure out how to unite the liberal, social progressives with the working class Dems like Tim Ryan, or it will never reach its electoral potential. Josh Shapiro really does this well.

I don’t think the Dems will learn the lesson by 2024, and will nominate Harris. If the Pubs nominate DeSantis, the campaign will be all about culture wars, which is unfortunate. DeSantis would run on culture issues, and Harris would be forced to defend the very things that most Americans don’t agree with.
Awesome post. 100%.

Harris is a terrible candidate, though.

It seems to be more pronounced in this election, especially with the Mexican-American voters in the West. I could be wrong in it being a sudden phenomenon.
It's been building for a while, and, to their credit, the GOP machine, at least in some states, can take credit for some of it. I heard a lot of talk (from Dems), for example, about how the party in Florida was taking Latinos for granted, while the GOP was actually engaged in outreach on the ground statewide. My understanding is that the GOP has been making a similar effort in at least Texas and California, too, and I'm guessing other places (New York?), while the Dems are maybe dropping the ball a bit.

Reactions: larsIU and Morrison
It's been building for a while, and, to their credit, the GOP machine, at least in some states, can take credit for some of it. I heard a lot of talk (from Dems), for example, about how the party in Florida was taking Latinos for granted, while the GOP was actually engaged in outreach on the ground statewide. My understanding is that the GOP has been making a similar effort in at least Texas and California, too, and I'm guessing other places (New York?), while the Dems are maybe dropping the ball a bit.
Makes perfect sense with Dens being reactive instead of proactive.

Makes perfect sense with Dens being reactive instead of proactive.
I heard a guy on NPR talking specifically about Florida, and he said the GOP recruited leaders from Latino neighborhoods, while the Dems brought in national (read: "non-Hispanic D.C.-oriented") experts to set the agenda. He still wanted to take credit (as a Latino) for the Dems' overperformance, but he was quite clear that, at least in that state, the party f*cked up, while the GOP knew what they were doing.

Reactions: Morrison
republican national convention rnc GIF by Election 2016

Democrats 2032 Presidential slogan?
NAH, 1 month and 1 day before election day 2024 they will start this. Then 30 days post election they will say.. doh, just kidding.

But yes, they will start to turn on the hispanics shortly. As soon as the verify most are "R's"

Ex football player Bo Hines goes down in flames. Another Trump endorsed loser...

Funny story about Bo, and a nod to a famous Jimmy B cover of a Steve Goodman classic...

Here's the set up... Bo is on a conservative talk radio show, and decides to throw out a talking point about Banana Republics. A real Herschel Walker/ Lauren Boebert minute...

Check out the host's desperate attempt to keep himself from laughing out loud...

An ode to discount clothing retailers...

Hines lost a R+2 district by 2.6 points. Budd won the district.
As you state he was endorsed by Trump in the primary. Which he won with only 32% of the vote.

Do you really need to be rude? So you think a small decline is a HUGE problem? Seems a little overstated to me. “ Black and brown voters continue to be the base of the Democratic Party. “ Young people and black people still overwhelmingly support Democrats. And that would be a fact.
I don’t need to be rude. I apologize.

But the Dem base of identity politics is eroding. Successful people abound are switching. And the Latinos and AAs who are tired of the nonsense are fleeing.

I don’t need to be rude. I apologize.

But the Dem base of identity politics is eroding. Successful people abound are switching. And the Latinos and AAs who are tired of the nonsense are fleeing.
I agree there is a problem with Hispanic voters. I disagree there’s a problem with black or young people. Young people’s top concerns are not aligned with Republicans. They are guns, the environment, abortion rights, and other social issues. Young people don’t usually turn out for midterms and their numbers were up over 10% from 2018.

Reactions: larsIU
I agree there is a problem with Hispanic voters. I disagree there’s a problem with black or young people. Young people’s top concerns are not aligned with Republicans. They are guns, the environment, abortion rights, and other social issues. Young people don’t usually turn out for midterms and their numbers were up over 10% from 2018.
Just how racist are you? You agree there is a problem with Hispanic voters, Disagree there is a problem with black voters. Do you have everyone cubbyholed by race and gender? Do you that when you go to the store with the people in line ahead of you? My God

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT