ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS nerd thread

If Trump can speak his mind, so can the rest of us. This is on Clinton's shoulders only indirectly. This is a testament to the gullibility of blue-collar workers. They are about to get four years of nothing at best. This will be a pretty wild ride. Bye bye Obamacare. SCOTUS 6-3 for the conservatives at least, further strengthening right-to-work. Blue-collar workers just voted themselves Dante's Inferno.

I just stopped giving a shit about the buffoons, thank you.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
So 538 says that Latinos went for Clinton by less of a margin they went for Obama. Even after Trump's insults. Pretty amazing.

If Trump wins, it could touch off a left-wing version of the Tea Party. Not just a movement running lefty candidates in primaries -- but being willing to cost the Democrats elections in doing so.

That would leave a vacuum in the center, both on the left and right ends of the political spectrum, which would provide an opportunity for pragmatists/moderates to create a broad coalition.

Surely you aren't equating Trump with the Tea Party?

There's plenty of crossover, I'm sure -- particularly in having a revolutionary approach to the Republican establishment.

Ideologically, though, they aren't equivalents.

The Tea Party was largely responsible for rehabilitating Republican prospects in the House, Senate, and state governments. And that mostly happened before Trump.

Trump's constituency may have some overlap with the TP. But it's also quite different. The TP is/was a small government movement. Trump's has little to do with small government, alas.

LOL!!!

Righhhhht

LOL!!!

Righhhhht
@crazed_hoosier2 biggest problem is his intelligence. he's an extremely rational person and honestly thinks that because there's a published platform for Trump that he actually means it and that his followers understand it.

Clearly he has the tea party support. He's the anti-establishment candidate that pretends to hate progressive politics and weak Republicans.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Look what has happened this election cycle. The FEW moderates left lost. Name strong moderates in power anywhere?

Correct, but the political center is wide open and those left out on either side of that center could get together to create a new party. I think there's a decent chance of that happening.

Michigan gap really narrowed significantly just now.

I've been poor my whole life. Still no change for me.
I've got more money than I know what to do with but not one red cent is going to those ass wipes. If anything I might focus on exterminating illiteracy in the hood. Shouldn't take long to move minorities above dumb and spoiled white fvks in the social hierarchy. Even make that a selling point. Yeah, that sounds pretty cool -- "read books to your toddlers and they'll look down on poor white trash before you know it." Start a souls in books movement, with churches leading the way.

Correct, but the political center is wide open and those left out on either side of that center could get together to create a new party. I think there's a decent chance of that happening.
But that implies there are middle people out here. Look at this board, what percentage are centrist? Centrists have a difficult time presenting their case. Go start a really centrist thread right now, you will get 2 replies maybe. Look at all the pundits. Rush, Hannity et al from the right, Ungar and others from the left. Who is the middle? Maybe David Gergen who is on CNN on occasion, but he doesn't get much time. I wish we could have a strong middle, but the problem is that the middle is too often seen as weak. How often do you hear of moderates stridently defending their position? It's hard to rally people around compromise.

One thing to blame Clinton for, she returned to her home in NY every single night of the campaign. That isn't efficient in running a campaign. Even with plane access, a lot of hours are wasted.

Before someone says "ha, she was ill", Trump also went home to Trump Tower every single night.

OK, any bets if we ever see Trump's tax returns now.

But that implies there are middle people out here. Look at this board, what percentage are centrist? Centrists have a difficult time presenting their case. Go start a really centrist thread right now, you will get 2 replies maybe. Look at all the pundits. Rush, Hannity et al from the right, Ungar and others from the left. Who is the middle? Maybe David Gergen who is on CNN on occasion, but he doesn't get much time. I wish we could have a strong middle, but the problem is that the middle is too often seen as weak. How often do you hear of moderates stridently defending their position? It's hard to rally people around compromise.

But what is the middle? Most people don't have middle of the road opinions across the board, rather they have varied opinions which line up with neither side. I'd consider myself to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. What does that make me? I average out to middle but none of my views are middle of the road on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT