ADVERTISEMENT

Goat's POLS nerd thread

I'm laughing at the DNC.

I'm laughing at how I know republicans will blame everyone but republicans for the shit show they put in motion tonight. You already have republicans on the cooler, who say they didn't vote for Trump, saying it's both parties fault right now. Pretty soon it will be everyone but republicans.

I'm laughing at how I know republicans will blame everyone but republicans for the shit show they put in motion tonight. You already have republicans on the cooler, who say they didn't vote for Trump, saying it's both parties fault right now. Pretty soon it will be everyone but republicans.
I will continue to blame the GOP for giving us Trump, but I will blame the Dems for letting him win. By all accounts, the clinching states - PA and WI - will be lost because white, working class Obama voters abandoned Hillary. If only there were a Democrat that could have appealed to them.

Oh right.
berniesanders-61515-1434466786.jpeg

Clinton's campaign took the upper Midwest for granted, and concentrated on NC, Fl, Va, Co. Wisconsin and Michigan hasn't voted Republcan forever, so they thought it wasn't necessary. They thought they would get enough Republican crossover voters, and keep the blue collar Democrats. They were dead wrong, as was I. Tim Kaine is a really good man, but he was the wrong choice in hindsight. She needed a surrogate to the working class. She should've had Bernie, Warren, or Booker as her running mate.

Clinton's campaign took the upper Midwest for granted, and concentrated on NC, Fl, Va, Co. Wisconsin and Michigan hasn't voted Republcan forever, so they thought it wasn't necessary. They thought they would get enough Republican crossover voters, and keep the blue collar Democrats. They were dead wrong, as was I. Tim Kaine is a really good man, but he was the wrong choice in hindsight. She needed a surrogate to the working class. She should've had Bernie, Warren, or Booker as her running mate.
Warren Booker in 2020 is likely unbeatable.

I will continue to blame the GOP for giving us Trump, but I will blame the Dems for letting him win. By all accounts, the clinching states - PA and WI - will be lost because white, working class Obama voters abandoned Hillary. If only there were a Democrat that could have appealed to them.

Oh right.
berniesanders-61515-1434466786.jpeg

Congratulations, America!

You've just validated the Alt-Right, the KKK, neo Nazis, and Alex Jones. Tell us, what will you do next?!?!?

IMG_9348.JPG

Podesta is just doing his job. At this point, in all reality, we aren't going to know for sure who our next President is tonight. Very likely not for several days. The odds are obviously in Trump's favor, and by a lot, but we just aren't going to know for sure for quite a while.

Podesta is just doing his job. At this point, in all reality, we aren't going to know for sure who our next President is tonight. Very likely not for several days. The odds are obviously in Trump's favor, and by a lot, but we just aren't going to know for sure for quite a while.

Or maybe 30 mins.

The worst part is Pence is now VP. WTF.

I'm very close to literally crying.

Thank the gods for whiskey.

Ehh. It won't be that bad. Hell, he was a Democrat until like 2 years ago. You could have had Cruz :)

He'll spend money like no worry, a lot on things that Dems wanted for years, like massive infrastructure. He'll deficit finance spending like crazy, avoid international "entanglements" and block trade. All things that used to be pretty close to Dem hearts. He doesn't give a shit about social issues.

Not really sure what you are so worried about. It's the true conservatives that are screwed in the ass. This is now the standard bearer.

Reactions: mjvcaj
Hillary not giving a concession speech tonight was pathetic, IMO. It was pretty clear what was going on (AP called PA 20 mins before Podesta).

But whatever. I'M OUT.

Probably done with politics for a good while. Good luck all.

Hillary not giving a concession speech tonight was pathetic, IMO. It was pretty clear what was going on (AP called PA 20 mins before Podesta).

But whatever. I'M OUT.

Probably done with politics for a good while. Good luck all.
I understood why she did (not do) it at the time, but I agree. If she was comfortable making a concession call, she should have made a concession speech. That's weak.

GD cheap Wiskey. I missed a few of the best hours of our lifetime.

No, not the Trump thing, the many post from you that are crying and walking shit back.

I would like to really rub it in but the truth is, this. Trump, Senate, House... Get it done, you're on the cock and we expect results.

Well, I'm not sure but that Trump isn't like the dog that chased the school bus and caught it.

I have little doubt that Trump thinks he has a mandate to do whatever the hell he wants to do, including undertaking dictator powers. My guess is that four years from now y'all will be very uneasy about what you've wrought here.

In any case, it's up to you to hold Trump's feet to the fire to deliver what he promised y'all. Good luck with that.

Sope, I'll do my part but I expect "Y'all" to do it as well. We are all stakeholders so let's all hold them to task.

Not really sure what you are so worried about. It's the true conservatives that are screwed in the ass. This is now the standard bearer.

This is exactly the danger for conservatives. I know he's a buffoon and will likely say/do a multitude of dumbass things that will embarrass us, but I'm actually not too worried about anything that might actually be accomplished. But it's a disaster for those of us who wanted to see the Republican party take stock and make the necessary changes to proper in this century. I don't see how anyone can be happy about this.

This is exactly the danger for conservatives. I know he's a buffoon and will likely say/do a multitude of dumbass things that will embarrass us, but I'm actually not too worried about anything that might actually be accomplished. But it's a disaster for those of us who wanted to see the Republican party take stock and make the necessary changes to proper in this century. I don't see how anyone can be happy about this.

Are you serious? You're gonna play a pseudo victim card? All republicans did the past eight years was block legislation, block judicial appointments, shut down the government, and waste tax dollars on partisan witch hunts. All that just got you the presidency, the senate, the house, and the Supreme Court for another couple of generations. Tonight made it pretty clear what real republicans are about. I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about regarding republicans being elected. You guys couldn't have possibly done any less the past eight years and it didn't hurt you a bit. Oh, and don't worry, I have no doubt the democrats will be right there to get out of your way. You can always rely on them to do that.

Are you serious? You're gonna play a pseudo victim card? All republicans did the past eight years was block legislation, block judicial appointments, shut down the government, and waste tax dollars on partisan witch hunts. All that just got you the presidency, the senate, the house, and the Supreme Court for another couple of generations. Tonight made it pretty clear what real republicans are about. I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about regarding republicans being elected. You guys couldn't have possibly done any less the past eight years and it didn't hurt you a bit. Oh, and don't worry, I have no doubt the democrats will be right there to get out of your way. You can always rely on them to do that.

I'm not paying a victim card. I'm simply saying that Trump getting elected isn't in the best interests of the party moving forward.

I'm not paying a victim card. I'm simply saying that Trump getting elected isn't in the best interests of the party moving forward.

If Trump could do any less, or any worse, for your party than it's done for, or to, itself over the past eight years, that would actually be more amazing than him getting elected last night.

Hey, at least there is a lot more legal pot available to get everyone through this.

Will Podesta go down as the biggest failure as far as campaign managers go? Has to right?

Reactions: stollcpa
Sope, I'll do my part but I expect "Y'all" to do it as well. We are all stakeholders so let's all hold them to task.

That argument would have worked, Joe, had the GOP worked with Democrats and Obama regarding infrastructure spending, reforming the ACA and the like over the last 8 years. But the GOP didn't.

No, y'all have the ball now. If you want is to be stakeholders, then make us stakeholders by including us. In the meantime, I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, as I don't trust Trump or the GOP congressional leadership to do so.

That argument would have worked, Joe, had the GOP worked with Democrats and Obama regarding infrastructure spending, reforming the ACA and the like over the last 8 years. But the GOP didn't.

No, y'all have the ball now. If you want is to be stakeholders, then make us stakeholders by including us. In the meantime, I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, as I don't trust Trump or the GOP congressional leadership to do so.

Whoa whoa whoa ....

Remember all the meetings between Republicans and Obama to shape the original ACA?

Nope - me neither.

The message Obama sent was a closed door and "Elections matter - you lost."
You can't blame the GOP for applying the Obama Doctrine.

THIS is my greatest gripe about "y'all."
Different rules for the parties.
When Republicans lose an election - y'all say "go to hell."
When Democrats lose, you say "its time to work together."

I don't care which rule we use - so long as its the same rule.

Reactions: stollcpa
Whoa whoa whoa ....

Remember all the meetings between Republicans and Obama to shape the original ACA?

Nope - me neither.

You have a short memory, and have forgotten the 51% rule that W, the convict Hastert and Frist used to govern during W's presidency. I don't want Democrats to play lap dogs to the GOP's majority unless the GOP is willing to return the principle.

We'll see whether Trump - more likely Pence - can negotiate with congressional Democrats and vice versa. We'd be a helluva lot better off if that were to occur . . . and it's incumbent on the winner of the election to make room at the table for the opposition, and incumbent on the opposition to take a minority role . . .

. . . ball's in your court.

Whoa whoa whoa ....

Nope - me neither.

Here's a timeline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamasdeal/etc/cron.html

Which part don't you remember. Obama wanted bipartisan support. Republicans absolutely had an opportunity to shape health care reform. They opted to crash it instead.

What's your evidence for the contrary?

Typically, but I think he'll be heavily influential in this admin....much like Cheney.

Sope said much the same thing. Personally, I'm deeply skeptical of that.

Donald Trump doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's eager to delegate directional matters like strategy or vision. I'm sure he's a skilled delegator, generally speaking. He'd have to be. But I suspect that's largely limited to tasks.

Right, and then premiums will keep on going up. Surprise, surprise. The 20 million who lose their health insurance will go back to Emergency Department -> Bankrupcy -> Rinse and Repeat. Lot of good that will do anyone.
You acting like that is acceptable is despicable.

Here's a timeline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamasdeal/etc/cron.html

Which part don't you remember. Obama wanted bipartisan support. Republicans absolutely had an opportunity to shape health care reform. They opted to crash it instead.

What's your evidence for the contrary?

Republicans settled all this when they had their little meeting in a restaurant about blocking everything Obama tried to do...even things they agreed with. There mission was to destroy his presidency, plain and simple

He'll spend money like no worry, a lot on things that Dems wanted for years, like massive infrastructure. He'll deficit finance spending like crazy, avoid international "entanglements" and block trade. All things that used to be pretty close to Dem hearts. He doesn't give a shit about social issues.
Thank you. I feel much better now.

Republicans settled all this when they had their little meeting in a restaurant about blocking everything Obama tried to do...even things they agreed with. There mission was to destroy his presidency, plain and simple
They didn't do a very good job, Obama did that by himself

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT