ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton

But they don't like the "IU Sucks" chant. Go figure.

Oh boy... looks like the Boilers are finally going to win a top recruiting battle against IU, and look how the roaches come out of the woodwork! Yogi, Cody, TJD, and Romeo, all say "Hi!". Oh, wait, Romeo was a 5 star and you didn't want him anyway, right? That's the story now? And Eric Gordon, and...

Oh boy... looks like the Boilers are finally going to win a top recruiting battle against IU, and look how the roaches come out of the woodwork! Yogi, Cody, TJD, and Romeo, all say "Hi!". Oh, wait, Romeo was a 5 star and you didn't want him anyway, right? That's the story now? And Eric Gordon, and...

February 20th, 2016. This is the last time we beat them in basketball. We can win all of the recruiting battles we want, but I'd rather be bragging about on court results. Lets focus on getting guys that will buy in and beat them on the court. I think it's safe to say we'd take many of the guys Painter has gotten over the last few years over some of the "more heralded" guys that we've gotten.

His fate isnt sealed but he needs to win this year. I cant remember the last time we went into a season without a returning guy we expect to really be a 15 point guy and the main option. It will be interesting to say the least.
Before the Brunk transfer I would've guessed De'Ron Davis but I'm not sure he will get the minutes needed to lead you in scoring now. Now I'd go with Green assuming he returns just because I think he will likely take the most shots.

February 20th, 2016. This is the last time we beat them in basketball. We can win all of the recruiting battles we want, but I'd rather be bragging about on court results. Lets focus on getting guys that will buy in and beat them on the court. I think it's safe to say we'd take many of the guys Painter has gotten over the last few years over some of the "more heralded" guys that we've gotten.

Totally agree on the winning thing, but honestly, I don't know about taking many of the guys; aside from Edwards, Swanigan and maybe Haas, who would you have wanted? He gets alot of role guys that benefit from his system, but who else would you really liked to have seen in an IU uni? People here would lose their shit if we signed Mathias or Cline, and honestly, I know it sucks and seems ludicrous because we're so down, but I do hope we can recruit better talent than that. On this past years squad the only other guys I could see playing a role if we are recruiting as we should are Eastern possibly or their other big guy: Williams?

Reactions: Courtsensethree
Before the Brunk transfer I would've guessed De'Ron Davis but I'm not sure he will get the minutes needed to lead you in scoring now. Now I'd go with Green assuming he returns just because I think he will likely take the most shots.

Brunk shouldn't impact DD's scoring. If DD is healthy, Brunk will likely be his backup or play in a rotation with he and TJD. DD I believe with his health and endurance is probably around a 25 minute guy even when healthy. Brunk can get plenty of minutes backing him up or as i said playing in a rotation with TJD and DD.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Totally agree on the winning thing, but honestly, I don't know about taking many of the guys; aside from Edwards, Swanigan and maybe Haas, who would you have wanted? He gets alot of role guys that benefit from his system, but who else would you really liked to have seen in an IU uni? People here would lose their shit if we signed Mathias or Cline, and honestly, I know it sucks and seems ludicrous because we're so down, but I do hope we can recruit better talent than that. On this past years squad the only other guys I could see playing a role if we are recruiting as we should are Eastern possibly or their other big guy: Williams?

I'm not sure what you mean by "lose our shit" if we signed Mathias or Cline... Maybe based on a "star rating" we'd lose our shit, but it's hard to argue with the 4 years of productivity of both of those players.

RE: this years team, I assume you are looking at players other than Cline and Edwards, who I think we both agree would have played major roles this year. Eastern would definitely start for us. I think Phinisee has tons of upside, but Eastern is more efficient and shot almost 50% from the field, and is a much, much better defender. I think Haarms, as much as we hate him, could play have played next to Morgan. Grady Eifert is a guy that would have thrived under Bob Knight 30 years ago, and I think we'd all take his hustle and effort in a heartbeat. Plus they had some guys coming off the bench who could shoot it. We didn't.

We have a long way to go... I think we need to focus more on building a team instead of focusing on star ratings and individual talent. Seems that is the difference... I'm sure we had better "athletes" than they did last year, but it certainly didn't show up in the results because they had a "team".

Brunk shouldn't impact DD's scoring. If DD is healthy, Brunk will likely be his backup or play in a rotation with he and TJD. DD I believe with his health and endurance is probably around a 25 minute guy even when healthy. Brunk can get plenty of minutes backing him up or as i said playing in a rotation with TJD and DD.
Fair point.

Reactions: Boilersharky
We're fans man..this board is to express views. I don't get your constant need to be disrespectful just because you disagree with another man. R-E-L-A-X sunshine
calling fans who believe miller will prove to be a good hire "apologists" is just as disrespectful. you are getting what you are giving. don't be hypocritical about it

I'd say 99% chance his future is sealed. He got exposed on national TV multiple times as being in over his head. Recruits & their families recognize it.
Only thing that has been exposed, is the brilliance of some posters on this site.

Not once did I hear him use the excuse of to many injury's, but clearly it did play a big part this season. Please give him a chance before just blasting off about how bad a coach Archie is.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lose our shit" if we signed Mathias or Cline... Maybe based on a "star rating" we'd lose our shit, but it's hard to argue with the 4 years of productivity of both of those players.

RE: this years team, I assume you are looking at players other than Cline and Edwards, who I think we both agree would have played major roles this year. Eastern would definitely start for us. I think Phinisee has tons of upside, but Eastern is more efficient and shot almost 50% from the field, and is a much, much better defender. I think Haarms, as much as we hate him, could play have played next to Morgan. Grady Eifert is a guy that would have thrived under Bob Knight 30 years ago, and I think we'd all take his hustle and effort in a heartbeat. Plus they had some guys coming off the bench who could shoot it. We didn't.

We have a long way to go... I think we need to focus more on building a team instead of focusing on star ratings and individual talent. Seems that is the difference... I'm sure we had better "athletes" than they did last year, but it certainly didn't show up in the results because they had a "team".

Think you've outed yourself as a PU fan masquerading. Eifert, Cline and Mathias, have been role players until their senior years, and Eifert even then. As Archie gets "his guys" his misses should also be effective role players, nothing special about any of them, other than they did their job, and in Cline and Mathias' case, that was a knock down shooter. Again, if Archie can't recruit guys in those roles, he doesn't belong here. Eastern and Haarms could help, but honestly I like RP's long term outlook over Eastern... he shot 50% largely because he didn't shoot. I think RP will be a much better outside shooter throughout his career, although I do like Eastern's D and hustle. Don't like his Mom's distractions. Haarms could have a role, but hate his overall douchiness. I think a healthy DD is better. CAM will create a team, and is struggling because he's playing with parts recruited largely by CTC, who imo, just didn't understand or value things like leadership, chemistry, role players. Strange dude, with strange roster building habits. In short, I agree with what you are saying about building a team, but if CAM or any coach succeeds at this level even modestly, they will do that and have guys like Mathias, Cline, etc...

Don't worry by this time next year most of the apologist will have accepted the reality that Glass struck out with Archie.
I don’t think anyone realizes just how ugly this is going to get before it gets better. Crean’s ending is going to look like a success compared to this.

"The court awareness, ability to facilitate, and passing reminds me a bit of a small Larry Bird. Above average dribbling. Would be a great addition to the program."

the broilee board is really high on morton, lol.

Think you've outed yourself as a PU fan masquerading. Eifert, Cline and Mathias, have been role players until their senior years, and Eifert even then. As Archie gets "his guys" his misses should also be effective role players, nothing special about any of them, other than they did their job, and in Cline and Mathias' case, that was a knock down shooter. Again, if Archie can't recruit guys in those roles, he doesn't belong here. Eastern and Haarms could help, but honestly I like RP's long term outlook over Eastern... he shot 50% largely because he didn't shoot. I think RP will be a much better outside shooter throughout his career, although I do like Eastern's D and hustle. Don't like his Mom's distractions. Haarms could have a role, but hate his overall douchiness. I think a healthy DD is better. CAM will create a team, and is struggling because he's playing with parts recruited largely by CTC, who imo, just didn't understand or value things like leadership, chemistry, role players. Strange dude, with strange roster building habits. In short, I agree with what you are saying about building a team, but if CAM or any coach succeeds at this level even modestly, they will do that and have guys like Mathias, Cline, etc...

That's what Matt Painter a great coach. His players improve greatly every year. Mathias was always a solid player and wasn't ever a role player. Cline always had a pretty decent role but obviously his last year he was called upon to be guy #2

That's what Matt Painter a great coach. His players improve greatly every year. Mathias was always a solid player and wasn't ever a role player. Cline always had a pretty decent role but obviously his last year he was called upon to be guy #2

painter had 8 players transfer his first two years as broilee coach. porkchop finished in last place in the B1G two years in a row. I don't remember TCarroll and RJohnson getting any better under FattMatt. Heck, those 2 were better than Cody and Yogi coming in to college! Nah, porkchop has had many players flame out at broileeland. Where is Greg Hill-he was better coming in than Eric Gordon!

I don’t think anyone realizes just how ugly this is going to get before it gets better. Crean’s ending is going to look like a success compared to this.

Ten months from now people will start to come around en masse.

Reactions: fpeaugh
painter had 8 players transfer his first two years as broilee coach. porkchop finished in last place in the B1G two years in a row. I don't remember TCarroll and RJohnson getting any better under FattMatt. Heck, those 2 were better than Cody and Yogi coming in to college! Nah, porkchop has had many players flame out at broileeland. Where is Greg Hill-he was better coming in than Eric Gordon!

Ah, yes, because the exceptions are the rule, right? lol stop being dumb.

Biggie, Haas, Mathias, Cline, V. Edwards, C. Edwards, PJ Thompson, Hammons, JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun, Hummel, Eastern all got/or have gotten better under Painter.

It's okay to dislike Purdue, of course, but stop burying your head in the sand.

Reactions: pboiler18
I agree with your assessment. It would be different if Morton was a top-10 kid with offers from all the elite blue-blood programs such as UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. However, the only three official visits he took were to IU, Purdue and Stanford. For Archie lose out on Morton while going to head-to-head with Matt Painter is a bad look for the program...

Having said that, I'd be just fine with Archie locking up Trey Galloway and/or Anthony Leal to fill that shooting guard position he was hoping to fill with Morton.
Take at least one or two of the 3. If Archie gets Leal and Galloway he recruits Indiana kids which is another plus. This is a test of Morton's decision making ability. Personally I want Leal.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
"The court awareness, ability to facilitate, and passing reminds me a bit of a small Larry Bird. Above average dribbling. Would be a great addition to the program."

the broilee board is really high on morton, lol.
Yea no one should make that comparison. He is a hell of a recruit though and one I didn't see coming.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Romeo wasn't coming to Purdue. He was signing with an Adidas school. We didn't have a chance anyway. But about half of this board was down on the guy anyway. Yogi is the one guy of those mentioned that I wish Purdue could have gotten. Don't think they ever had a chance anyway. Any of those guys would have been great to have but Yogi had the game Purdue needed.

Ten months from now people will start to come around en masse.
Another year like last and you can add me to the fray. I just can't believe how bad we looked at times.

It wasn't just the losses either, half of our players looked like they would've rather been anywhere else. Anything worse than 24+ wins and a tourney appearance next year could signify the end of Archie, especially with the lack of talent coming in. The underachievement of this program the last 25 years just blows my mind, they simply can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: IUgradman

if you don't think Mathias was a role player before his senior year, you and I have different ideas of what a role player is. Guy was always like your 5th or worse scorer. His role was knocking down outside shots and hustle. It's what he was. Still a valuable player, and all good teams need them, and MP has excelled at finding and developing them, but not a super talented player in terms of top programs. What were his other offers out of HS? I'm guessing more MAC schools than perennial top 25 programs. How's he doing in the NBA? Role player. No shame in it, but it's what he was.

Take at least one or two of the 3. If Archie gets Leal and Galloway he recruits Indiana kids which is another plus. This is a test of Morton's decision making ability. Personally I want Leal.

Sounds like Morton is a whiff for CAM. Looking ahead to 2021, I would love to see Evans Reitz's standout Christian Lander in a IU uniform. Don't know what our chances of getting him may be, but landing this kid would make me forget all to Hell about losing Morton (should he go to PU).

Reactions: IUgradman
Romeo wasn't coming to Purdue. He was signing with an Adidas school. We didn't have a chance anyway. But about half of this board was down on the guy anyway. Yogi is the one guy of those mentioned that I wish Purdue could have gotten. Don't think they ever had a chance anyway. Any of those guys would have been great to have but Yogi had the game Purdue needed.
Right. You didn't want Cody, or TJD, or Gordon or Romeo. Keep telling yourself that. You gotta make a choice: do you want to keep being PU and are OK with limited tourney success or do you want a F4 or NC? That's what keeps you from getting there, you need top talent and it's the thing that has almost always doomed you and always will if you don't find a way to get more of those guys on campus. And, I'm not down on PU or MP, but if you want to make the leap, you've got to get more top 50 and top 25 guys.

I haven't outed myself as anything, just making observations about what I saw on the court last year. All I said was that I think Purdue has a bit more talent than you give them credit for. I just don't understand how you can look at our team with our record, and say those guys couldn't play big minutes for us. We needed all the help we could get last year.... Now, maybe that will change. Lets hope so

Biggie, Haas, Mathias, Cline, V. Edwards, C. Edwards, PJ Thompson, Hammons, JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun, Hummel, Eastern all got/or have gotten better under Painter.

Hey PU roaches infecting our board to gloat over Ethan Morton (congrats btw; I think Archie really wanted him): I know you're not used to a board that has more than a handful of posters, but it makes it far easier to know who you are responding to if you'll hit reply to a post or use the quote button. Now, if you are replying to me, I never said anything about Painter not developing guys or being a good coach, I think he is/does both.

Hey PU roaches infecting our board to gloat over Ethan Morton (congrats btw; I think Archie really wanted him): I know you're not used to a board that has more than a handful of posters, but it makes it far easier to know who you are responding to if you'll hit reply to a post or use the quote button. Now, if you are replying to me, I never said anything about Painter not developing guys or being a good coach, I think he is/does both.

Ha, I did quote the post. I wasn't replying to you. Thank you for your concern, though.

Just for the record, here is a list of Indiana Mr. Basketball winners "missed" by Branch McCracken: George Crowe (1939), John Bass (1941), Bud Brown (1942), Dee Monroe (1949), Pat Klein (1950), Tom Harrold (1951), Joe Sexon (1952), Bobby Plump (1954), Wilson Eison (1955), Oscar Robertson (1956), John Coalmon (1957), Mike McCoy (1958), Ron Bonham (1960), Larry Humes (1962), Rick Jones (1963), Dennis Brady (1964) and Billy Kelly (1965).
Here is a list of Indiana Mr. Basketball winners "missed" by Bob Knight: Phil Cox (1972), Steve Collier and Roy Taylor (1974), Kyle Macy (1975), Dave Colescott (1976), Dave Magley (1978), Jim Master (1980), Dan Palombizio (1981), Roger Harden (1982), Troy Lewis (1984), Jeff Grose (1985), Mark Jewell (1986), Woody Austin (1988), Glenn Robinson (1991), Charles Macon (1992), Maurice "Kojak" Fuller (1993), Bryce Drew (1994), Damon Frierson (1995), Kevin Ault (1996).
That's 36 "misses" in 54 seasons, or, looking at it the other way, that's 18 hits in 54 seasons for a .333 percentage.
And I think we all agree that McCracken and Knight had at least "fairly decent" tenures at IU ...
I say, let's put together a team, put'em on the court and see what happens.
Let me comment on a few of the misses. Jim Master was paid at UK. I know this from a friend of his that went out and partied on the roll of $20 bills left in a box of cookies in his locker after every game. We didn't miss on that. We couldn't afford him.

Kojak Fuller didn't qualify academically. He may have went to Vincennes University.

Mark Jewel admitted to me he was a Mr. Basketball in one of the weakest classes the state has ever had. He did okay at UE, but wasn't a star.

There are other "misses" that weren't right for IU. The point is we shouldn't take a kid just because they are Mr. Basketball.

I agree with your assessment. It would be different if Morton was a top-10 kid with offers from all the elite blue-blood programs such as UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. However, the only three official visits he took were to IU, Purdue and Stanford. For Archie lose out on Morton while going to head-to-head with Matt Painter is a bad look for the program...

Having said that, I'd be just fine with Archie locking up Trey Galloway and/or Anthony Leal to fill that shooting guard position he was hoping to fill with Morton.
Painter exceeded expectations and was named conference coach of the year. Archie underachieves our expectations while early termination is debated on social media. His other visit was Stanford. Is it really any wonder?

Reactions: pboiler18
Yeah, that never happened

Ha, I did quote the post. I wasn't replying to you. Thank you for your concern, though.

No, no, you really didn't. See below. Thanks for doing your best though! Bless your heart!

It’s not that hard since they have the same coach and we have had a couple
Painter exceeded expectations and was named conference coach of the year. Archie underachieves our expectations while early termination is debated on social media. His other visit was Stanford. Is it really any wonder?
yeah because the TT coach was screwed.

Purdue fans said Ronnie was better. Lol.

if you don't think Mathias was a role player before his senior year, you and I have different ideas of what a role player is. Guy was always like your 5th or worse scorer. His role was knocking down outside shots and hustle. It's what he was. Still a valuable player, and all good teams need them, and MP has excelled at finding and developing them, but not a super talented player in terms of top programs. What were his other offers out of HS? I'm guessing more MAC schools than perennial top 25 programs. How's he doing in the NBA? Role player. No shame in it, but it's what he was.
He played a little defense too. Led the team in 3P% and assists. 4th leading scorer at 12/game.

I'm not sure judging a senior in college by his offers out of high school 4 years earlier is the best way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT