ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton

0*YDNrlVEkls6wZSA4.jpg

Its been a horrible spring for archie.

I'm beginning to get very concerned about recruiting misses.
I like Archie, but if he can't get the kids he should get, the seat will heat up quickly. Which means Glass will do nothing until forced to make a change, and who knows what kind of gem he will find.
It pains me to feel so negative toward this program, but damnit man I'm just tired of this rut we've been in for what seems like forever.

I’m just curious as to what all these “misses” are that have everyone concerned? Arch comes in and “keeps” the class CTC had which with the timing of the hire was pretty much a must. He then grabs one of the better classes in the country....... right now he would need no one in 2019 if it weren’t for post season transfers.... now Morton from PA was a bad miss and the kid had 20+ offers from top notch programs.... the delusion in this place is hysterical.

I’m just curious as to what all these “misses” are that have everyone concerned? Arch comes in and “keeps” the class CTC had which with the timing of the hire was pretty much a must. He then grabs one of the better classes in the country....... right now he would need no one in 2019 if it weren’t for post season transfers.... now Morton from PA was a bad miss and the kid had 20+ offers from top notch programs.... the delusion in this place is hysterical.
That will take PU out of the Galloway recruitment as they are very similar players. I would imagine Archie will end up with Galloway now and it might turn out fine for both programs.

Keion Brooks would also qualify as a miss. In-state kid whose dad played for one of our assistant coaches in college...

Nonetheless, I prefer to define our recruiting by who we get and how they do, rather than the misses.

I'd agree, most of "the misses" folks are fretting about were guys he just began recruiting hard to fill the spots opened by transfers. They weren't likely and not guys we'd been recruiting hard for long. The VA Tech xfer, LQ, the PG that committed to Miami and there was some big that I think picked UMASS. Brooks was a bad miss being from IN, but he also seemed infatuated with the elites to me. Morton is another story. A PA kid like Archie, and while maybe he had 20 top notch programs offering; he's picking PU? That will sting. Recruiting is a fickle game and I think generally one of the hardest things to master when coming to a big time program. While I thought Crean made too many offers, Archie might need to cast a little wider net possibly.

I'd agree, most of "the misses" folks are fretting about were guys he just began recruiting hard to fill the spots opened by transfers. They weren't likely and not guys we'd been recruiting hard for long. The VA Tech xfer, LQ, the PG that committed to Miami and there was some big that I think picked UMASS. Brooks was a bad miss being from IN, but he also seemed infatuated with the elites to me. Morton is another story. A PA kid like Archie, and while maybe he had 20 top notch programs offering; he's picking PU? That will sting. Recruiting is a fickle game and I think generally one of the hardest things to master when coming to a big time program. While I thought Crean made too many offers, Archie might need to cast a little wider net possibly.
I agree with your assessment. It would be different if Morton was a top-10 kid with offers from all the elite blue-blood programs such as UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. However, the only three official visits he took were to IU, Purdue and Stanford. For Archie lose out on Morton while going to head-to-head with Matt Painter is a bad look for the program...

Having said that, I'd be just fine with Archie locking up Trey Galloway and/or Anthony Leal to fill that shooting guard position he was hoping to fill with Morton.

Reactions: IUgradman

One of the best classes in the country whose "top rated" player is now gone (although I think Langford was as good for this program and his coach as Bracey Wright and Noah Vonleh were...thread topic, convince me that we would not have been better off had Romeo Langford gone to Kansas). The second highest rated player had surgery for some condition and we are just hoping he can play. One of them transferred. One showed sparks of potential and then severely fell off after either his concussion or teams chemistry fell apart. The others are all even bigger question marks.

Brooks was a big miss. The coaching staff put a bunch into landing him and when he went elsewhere we were caught trying to play catch up on guys we had made plan B, C, or D. And to date, we have not landed any of those backups. We were all over the Morton kid at one time and our rival, coming off an Elite 8 appearance, appears poised to land him. We offered the Leal kid who should be a slam dunk (his parents are season ticket holders) and he is "taking his time". Now we figure we are going to land him but I think under different circumstances he would be the type that should say yes right away. Watford appears to have barely gave us a look and his brother is a folk hero around here. Quinones is rumored to be Memphis bound. I like the Brunk pickup but we had and still have a glaring need for shooting and we have not addressed that at all while grad transfers have fallen off the board.

We are looking to have a tough non-conference schedule and an 11 man team, 3 members of which were injury prone last year. I get being optimistic but some of you are crazy if you think things are looking good right now. That is not to say that things cannot turn around, but I think the better odds right now are betting on around 18 to 19 wins, another tournament miss, and a program on the brink (we miss again this year and Miller is in big trouble. He will get a few more years because of his contract but recruiting in what will be an extremely hostile environment would be tough.)

Keion Brooks would also qualify as a miss. In-state kid whose dad played for one of our assistant coaches in college...

Nonetheless, I prefer to define our recruiting by who we get and how they do, rather than the misses.

Not sure how Brooks qualifies as a miss. I’m not saying CAM hasn’t missed but with Brooks he was a solid MSU from day one and IU wasn’t even in the picture when CAM was hired. He did a great job of making up ground but brooks is far from a miss..... if it’s a miss for anyone it is Izzo as they were the heavy heavy favorite from day 1.

One of the best classes in the country whose "top rated" player is now gone (although I think Langford was as good for this program and his coach as Bracey Wright and Noah Vonleh were...thread topic, convince me that we would not have been better off had Romeo Langford gone to Kansas). The second highest rated player had surgery for some condition and we are just hoping he can play. One of them transferred. One showed sparks of potential and then severely fell off after either his concussion or teams chemistry fell apart. The others are all even bigger question marks.

Brooks was a big miss. The coaching staff put a bunch into landing him and when he went elsewhere we were caught trying to play catch up on guys we had made plan B, C, or D. And to date, we have not landed any of those backups. We were all over the Morton kid at one time and our rival, coming off an Elite 8 appearance, appears poised to land him. We offered the Leal kid who should be a slam dunk (his parents are season ticket holders) and he is "taking his time". Now we figure we are going to land him but I think under different circumstances he would be the type that should say yes right away. Watford appears to have barely gave us a look and his brother is a folk hero around here. Quinones is rumored to be Memphis bound. I like the Brunk pickup but we had and still have a glaring need for shooting and we have not addressed that at all while grad transfers have fallen off the board.

We are looking to have a tough non-conference schedule and an 11 man team, 3 members of which were injury prone last year. I get being optimistic but some of you are crazy if you think things are looking good right now. That is not to say that things cannot turn around, but I think the better odds right now are betting on around 18 to 19 wins, another tournament miss, and a program on the brink (we miss again this year and Miller is in big trouble. He will get a few more years because of his contract but recruiting in what will be an extremely hostile environment would be tough.)

I never said things were looking good, I have my questions and concerns both with recruiting and some of the in game coaching that I’ve seen. However if you believe just because he is wearing the logo on his polo when he shows up that he is going to get kids you’re crazy. He took over at a tough time with a limited roster and our northwest rival is coming off of some very tangible and recent success that is a big draw to these kids. CAM has his work cut out for him and it will have to translate into wins before the recruiting battles start tipping into his favor in a lot of these cases. Also going into year three and four we will start seeing him hopefully grab kids that he has been invested into longer and not just making a hard late push to come to a school that hasn’t been to the tourney since some of these kids entered HS.

Not sure how Brooks qualifies as a miss. I’m not saying CAM hasn’t missed but with Brooks he was a solid MSU from day one and IU wasn’t even in the picture when CAM was hired. He did a great job of making up ground but brooks is far from a miss..... if it’s a miss for anyone it is Izzo as they were the heavy heavy favorite from day 1.

If he was solid with MSU he'd be going to MSU. IU was widely considered to be the leader after his best friend chose IU, but he chose Kentucky. Misses happen, I don't expect us to land everyone, or even beat Purdue every time. But...KB was a miss. It was expected by the time the announcement was made...

Remember, in this recruiting game you miss far more than you hit. 10-20 offers will result in only 2-3 players. You are lucky to hit 10% of the time.

I figure you can make yourself upset at the misses but that doesn’t make sense given the hit/miss ratio.

The failure by Archie to address the dire need for perimeter shooting is alarming. I'm not saying it's easy to secure a commitment from any prospect, whether it be a high school senior or a grad transfer. However, with major minutes (and potentially a starting spot) available, it's very troubling to me that Archie has had zero traction.

If he was solid with MSU he'd be going to MSU. IU was widely considered to be the leader after his best friend chose IU, but he chose Kentucky. Misses happen, I don't expect us to land everyone, or even beat Purdue every time. But...KB was a miss. It was expected by the time the announcement was made...

You must not follow recruiting until decision time? Brooks was a crystal ball 100 for almost 2 years to MSU, was quoted as receiving the “offer he had been waiting for since middle school” when MSU offered. Again, CAM made up huge ground to get into the picture and yes at one point may have even taken the lead..... but far from a big miss, more like missed a huge win in the recruiting battle

Brooks is the only significant miss to date in my opinion and his miss was compounded because we seemingly put all our eggs in one basket and didn't have any back up plan and will now likely bank scholarships. But show me a coach who hasn't missed on any big time recruits and I'll show you a liar.

Morton would sting to a degree because he's the most college ready out of any of the guards we're recruiting but long term we'll be fine if Galloway and Leal commit. Personally I think both Galloway and Leal have much more college upside than Morton. Morton has a pass first mentality and projects to play PG at the collegiate level. He's got a good stroke but he isn't the volume 3 point shooter that all the pessimists seem to think IU is missing. We have our PG in Phinisee for the next 3 years and are in great position with Lander for 2021. Morton isn't overly athletic and is very flat-footed and doesn't move that well. That doesn't diminish the fact that he's a fine basketball player with tremendous ball skills and passing ability, but Morton committing elsewhere isn't the end of the world. That is unless you have a driven agenda to call every recruit who considers IU a miss that commits elsewhere.

I'm kinda bummed about not getting him..
I really thought Archie put in the time to get him.
But even UK ..MSU..Kansas miss out on kids they want..

Reactions: mathboy
Why are Purdue fans so confident about getting Morton? He visited IU just as much as Purdue right?
He tweeted he will be announcing tomorrow around 8:45 or so and all crystal ball projections turned 100% Purdue.
As a long time follower of basketball recruiting at Purdue, I'm cautiously optimistic.

He tweeted he will be announcing tomorrow around 8:45 or so and all crystal ball projections turned 100% Purdue.
As a long time follower of basketball recruiting at Purdue, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Is there another reason that ur optimistic besides the singular prediction? Also are u really that bored that ur in an opposing teams message board:)

Reactions: IULouie
Why doesn’t he just recruit the kind of kids he had at Dayton? They were pretty competitive. I’d take a Scoochie Smith in a heartbeat.

Reactions: trailrunner
Just for the record, here is a list of Indiana Mr. Basketball winners "missed" by Branch McCracken: George Crowe (1939), John Bass (1941), Bud Brown (1942), Dee Monroe (1949), Pat Klein (1950), Tom Harrold (1951), Joe Sexon (1952), Bobby Plump (1954), Wilson Eison (1955), Oscar Robertson (1956), John Coalmon (1957), Mike McCoy (1958), Ron Bonham (1960), Larry Humes (1962), Rick Jones (1963), Dennis Brady (1964) and Billy Kelly (1965).
Here is a list of Indiana Mr. Basketball winners "missed" by Bob Knight: Phil Cox (1972), Steve Collier and Roy Taylor (1974), Kyle Macy (1975), Dave Colescott (1976), Dave Magley (1978), Jim Master (1980), Dan Palombizio (1981), Roger Harden (1982), Troy Lewis (1984), Jeff Grose (1985), Mark Jewell (1986), Woody Austin (1988), Glenn Robinson (1991), Charles Macon (1992), Maurice "Kojak" Fuller (1993), Bryce Drew (1994), Damon Frierson (1995), Kevin Ault (1996).
That's 36 "misses" in 54 seasons, or, looking at it the other way, that's 18 hits in 54 seasons for a .333 percentage.
And I think we all agree that McCracken and Knight had at least "fairly decent" tenures at IU ...
I say, let's put together a team, put'em on the court and see what happens.

Exactly. All these assertions that IU will be better next season are wishful thinking and homerism. This roster still can’t compete in the Big Ten and will have even fewer bodies available since Archie can’t land recruits anymore it seems. This program is teetering on the abyss and no one in the administration has any clue how to fix it. Fred can wave his pom poms all he wants but he helped create the culture that led to the pathetic current state of affairs.

You must not follow recruiting until decision time? Brooks was a crystal ball 100 for almost 2 years to MSU, was quoted as receiving the “offer he had been waiting for since middle school” when MSU offered. Again, CAM made up huge ground to get into the picture and yes at one point may have even taken the lead..... but far from a big miss, more like missed a huge win in the recruiting battle

You're doubling down on dumb with this post.....Brooks was obviously a big miss.

Brooks is the only significant miss to date in my opinion and his miss was compounded because we seemingly put all our eggs in one basket and didn't have any back up plan and will now likely bank scholarships. But show me a coach who hasn't missed on any big time recruits and I'll show you a liar.

Morton would sting to a degree because he's the most college ready out of any of the guards we're recruiting but long term we'll be fine if Galloway and Leal commit. Personally I think both Galloway and Leal have much more college upside than Morton. Morton has a pass first mentality and projects to play PG at the collegiate level. He's got a good stroke but he isn't the volume 3 point shooter that all the pessimists seem to think IU is missing. We have our PG in Phinisee for the next 3 years and are in great position with Lander for 2021. Morton isn't overly athletic and is very flat-footed and doesn't move that well. That doesn't diminish the fact that he's a fine basketball player with tremendous ball skills and passing ability, but Morton committing elsewhere isn't the end of the world. That is unless you have a driven agenda to call every recruit who considers IU a miss that commits elsewhere.

Based on Galloway's reaction to our offer, I think it doubtful he will come to IU. ND appears to lead. I think the only way he comes here is if he & Leal decide they want to play together.

Don’t these recruits know that last year’s on the court disaster was due to injuries?

Yep, injuries are why we got down 17-0 to Michigan at home, gave up something like a 22-0 run to Rutgers, and no-showed against Nebraska and Minnesota. The excuses people make to defend the ineptitude of this program are mind boggling.

Yep, injuries are why we got down 17-0 to Michigan at home, gave up something like a 22-0 run to Rutgers, and no-showed against Nebraska and Minnesota. The excuses people make to defend the ineptitude of this program are mind boggling.
Glass should have done a better job coaching them up.

So, to be succinct, we recruited a 5 star Indiana kid with connections to the staff. We "may have taken the lead" in that recruitment. We signed his best friend and AAU teammate, who is also 5-star talent. But he went to Kentucky instead.

And this is not a miss because MSU was once considered the leader, before we were? That isn't very logical. In fact, it's entirely illogical. As is your pointless jab about me not following recruiting until decision time...which is neither true nor relevant.

I'm also interested to know what you think the difference is between a big recruiting miss and "miss(ing) a huge win." That's like saying there's a difference between losing and not winning, in my mind.

It's a recruiting miss. They happen. But I don't see what good it does tying our brains in knots to avoid admitting it.

Reactions: snarlcakes
morton is a bad miss? he is not announcing his decision until tomorrow night

That will take PU out of the Galloway recruitment as they are very similar players. I would imagine Archie will end up with Galloway now and it might turn out fine for both programs.

Are they? I don't care to follow recruiting but I was under the impression Morton was a solid PG who also can shoot and score, while Galloway was clearly and pretty much exclusively a 2. My sense is Morton is the more highly thought of recruit and Galloway is a step down at least in terms of recruiting rankings. Is that not the case?

morton is a bad miss? he is not announcing his decision until tomorrow night

What in the world is going on with recruting. It is becoming clear that losing streak really is hurting recruiting in a bad way. This spring we have lost the following below recruiting battles. We got one transfer in Brunk but lost every other battle.

Harris
Brooks
Watford
Morton
Beverly
Quinones- likely gone
Leal still have not pulled the trigger. I was under the impression he was an IU lock?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT