ADVERTISEMENT

"Commitment to America" Plan. What say you?

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Reactions: vesuvius13
Since you don't think Congress can legislate abortion, any chance they can regulate high school sports?

Republicans will win the House, this will not contribute to it. Gingrich's plan was bold. This does not scre bold.

Since you don't think Congress can legislate abortion, any chance they can regulate high school sports?

Republicans will win the House, this will not contribute to it. Gingrich's plan was bold. This does not scre bold.
I haven’t ready these yet. What’s the bit about high school sports?

Ah. Well, I guess under the same power they regulate Title 9, they might be able to do that.
I don't see how. It's a lot easier to legally justify a federal law banning discrimination than one imposing it. Not saying it's impossible, just saying I don't see it.

They'd probably have to rewrite Title IX altogether. Which won't be easy. Even though a lot of people seem to agree with restrictions on transgender students in women's sports, a lot of those people don't agree with removing protections from the same in other areas. Tough to make a carve out. Might have to just accept that the results on this will vary from state to state until the nation naturally reaches a consensus (if ever).

I don't see how. It's a lot easier to legally justify a federal law banning discrimination than one imposing it. Not saying it's impossible, just saying I don't see it.

They'd probably have to rewrite Title IX altogether. Which won't be easy. Even though a lot of people seem to agree with restrictions on transgender students in women's sports, a lot of those people don't agree with removing protections from the same in other areas. Tough to make a carve out. Might have to just accept that the results on this will vary from state to state until the nation naturally reaches a consensus (if ever).
I think you’re begging the question by calling it discrimination from the get go

I think you have a good point, it seems mandating a trans league would be more in line with IX.

The real thing is Congress taking time to write, fight over, vote on a law that might, might, impact 100 people.

I think you’re begging the question by calling it discrimination from the get go
I know it's a loaded word, but I'm not. What people want implemented is, indeed, discriminatory. It might be perfectly justifiably discriminatory, but it still is, and that makes it tougher to defend under the same legal theory that defends civil rights legislation.

I’m thinking the student body of each high school could handle this issue.
No lawyers needed.

I think you have a good point, it seems mandating a trans league would be more in line with IX.

The real thing is Congress taking time to write, fight over, vote on a law that might, might, impact 100 people.
Personally, I think it doesn't even need to be left to the feds or the states. This particular issue should be left to each sport's governing body, and that should be that. We don't need to legislate everything.

I know it's a loaded word, but I'm not. What people want implemented is, indeed, discriminatory. It might be perfectly justifiably discriminatory, but it still is, and that makes it tougher to defend under the same legal theory that defends civil rights legislation.
I'm at a disadvantage in not knowing the exact language of the law you refer to, but I don't think it's cut and dry that a law saying biological females get to compete against each other is discriminatory in a meaningful sense.

I'm at a disadvantage in not knowing the exact language of the law you refer to, but I don't think it's cut and dry that a law saying biological females get to compete against each other is discriminatory in a meaningful sense.
Because that's not what it would say. No one wants to prevent females from competing in male sports. They only want to prevent males from competing in female sports. And that's fine. I think it's a good idea. But therein lies the discrimination.

Lots of discrimination is legal, especially sex discrimination. That's why we needed Title IX in the first place. Our leaders and courts long recognized that there were good reasons for exempting females from the draft or exempting males from topless nudity laws. But even rational, justified discrimination is discrimination.

Thoughts on why they would announce this on a Friday afternoon? They don't want this covered?

Personally, I think it doesn't even need to be left to the feds or the states. This particular issue should be left to each sport's governing body, and that should be that. We don't need to legislate everything.
I agree the sports organizations should control this, and I think they will. Aside from one swimmer, it has yet to be a competitive problem. Sports groups are slow to react as, well, all organizations are.

A ban may be the best bet, or a "must be this far along".

But it impacts very few people compared to the attention it gets.

I agree the sports organizations should control this, and I think they will. Aside from one swimmer, it has yet to be a competitive problem. Sports groups are slow to react as, well, all organizations are.

A ban may be the best bet, or a "must be this far along".

But it impacts very few people compared to the attention it gets.
but that one competitive swimmer destroyed the chances of other competitive biologically female swimmers... so it matters a lot

but that one competitive swimmer destroyed the chances of other competitive biologically female swimmers... so it matters a lot
Their time would not have won in something like 3 of the last 5 years, so it is far from a guarantee that they will dominate.

They impacted the person that finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and the person that did not qualify for the finals. After that, the impact is fairly minimal. Going from 5th to 6th isn't much of an impact.

I do think their needs to be rules, it could be a ban, it could be changing where people need to be in the process. I just don't think there is a need for a fainting couch.

Their time would not have won in something like 3 of the last 5 years, so it is far from a guarantee that they will dominate.

They impacted the person that finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and the person that did not qualify for the finals. After that, the impact is fairly minimal. Going from 5th to 6th isn't much of an impact.

I do think their needs to be rules, it could be a ban, it could be changing where people need to be in the process. I just don't think there is a need for a fainting couch.
we may have to agree to disagree on this one... Thankfully my competitive sports kid is a boy (an XY boy, by the way)... But he runs track at the D1 level and I promise you the XX female athletes on his team are almost unanimously livid that they may have to run against an XY in the next few years which automatically puts them at about a 2 minute disadvantage in the female XC 6K race.

we may have to agree to disagree on this one... Thankfully my competitive sports kid is a boy (an XY boy, by the way)... But he runs track at the D1 level and I promise you the XX female athletes on his team are almost unanimously livid that they may have to run against an XY in the next few years which automatically puts them at about a 2 minute disadvantage in the female XC 6K race.
I think the NCAA will change rules, maybe ban, if this becomes a problem. Right now it is a very few group of people.

The NCAA, the IHSAA, and others are private organizations. Are conservatives really arguing the government should intervene in private organizations?

If you had a “real” girl facing a boy calling himself a girl in high school and college sports you would have a different urgency in the matter.

“Real” girls and their parents are terrified to complain with the liberal cancel army on call to come after them if they protest.

Tell that to the trans athletes that live in an area where they end up being banned from women’s sports. They’ll want legislation and they’ll want it fast.

If you had a “real” girl facing a boy calling himself a girl in high school and college sports you would have a different urgency in the matter.

“Real” girls and their parents are terrified to complain with the liberal cancel army on call to come after them if they protest.
So you favor government telling private organizations what they must do? Tell me again the difference between liberals and conservatives?

Her own teammates protested her, so people do/did protest. I suspect the NCAA will make changes.

But it is demonstrably false that transgender are dominating. If that were true, she would have set NCAA records. She did not. I do not think her time would have been an Olympic qualifying time for the US.

I am not opposing a ban. I am suggesting 1) the sports organizations need first crack at this 2) it is not impacting enough people to be a game changer politically.

My only close experience was a daughter that played in boys basketball leagues through 8th grade. She has a chip on her shoulder against the boys, proving she deserves to be there. She struggled with that intensity in all girl leagues. I suspect these transgender athletes will discover the women WILL bring their A games against them. Lia Thomas finished 8th in her last swim

It beats marxism and what the dems want.

So you favor government telling private organizations what they must do? Tell me again the difference between liberals and conservatives?

Her own teammates protested her, so people do/did protest. I suspect the NCAA will make changes.

But it is demonstrably false that transgender are dominating. If that were true, she would have set NCAA records. She did not. I do not think her time would have been an Olympic qualifying time for the US.

I am not opposing a ban. I am suggesting 1) the sports organizations need first crack at this 2) it is not impacting enough people to be a game changer politically.

My only close experience was a daughter that played in boys basketball leagues through 8th grade. She has a chip on her shoulder against the boys, proving she deserves to be there. She struggled with that intensity in all girl leagues. I suspect these transgender athletes will discover the women WILL bring their A games against them. Lia Thomas finished 8th in her last swim

That does not change the fact that “she” has a biological unfair advantage. Please don’t try to argue against science. It would be unbecoming

Are you a Mod of anything, Lucy?
Lucy is probably this kind of a mod:
Austin-Powers.jpg

Only women in women's sports

TBH, women get what they deserve on this issue. They've been leading the acceptance of this stuff, so an overreach that negatively impacts them - I shouldn't care about this. The only reason I do is because I have a daughter that likes sports and wants to compete against her peers.

TBH, women get what they deserve on this issue. They've been leading the acceptance of this stuff, so an overreach that negatively impacts them - I shouldn't care about this. The only reason I do is because I have a daughter that likes sports and wants to compete against her peers.
It’s only the loud minority that’s causing the trouble, though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT